pixeltracker

best revival on broadway?- Page 2

best revival on broadway?

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#25best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/27/16 at 5:46pm

The 2009 revival of RAGTIME remains one of the best things I've ever seen on Broadway. Still bummed I never got to see the original, but overjoyed that we got such a first-class revival.

Dollypop
#26best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/27/16 at 6:16pm

That wonderful recreation of Gower Champion's staging of Hello, Doily!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

10086sunset
#27best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/27/16 at 6:57pm

The 1992 Guys and Dolls...

Jarethan
#28best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/27/16 at 10:31pm

Musical candidates:

-- Chicago

-- The Harold Prince / Susan Strowman Show Boat

-- Cabaret

I think any one of these would be an acceptable win, but -- even though I enjoyed Chicago the most of the three -- it was the least 'reimagining' of the original material, so I would argue for the Show Boat or the Cabaret being the all-time best.

Non-Musical Candidates:

-- Moon for the Misbegotten with Jason Robards and Colleen Dewhurst...maybe the single best of anything.  period.

-- I also agree with the Jason Robards-lead You Can't Take It With You.  As Much as I loved the revival last season, it could not come close to generating the warmth that that production did.

-- The RSC Cyrano de Bergerac with Derek Jacobi.

Honorable Mention:

-- (Ineligible) A Streetcar Named Desire with Cate Blanchette, cause it never made it to Broadway

willep
#29best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/27/16 at 10:41pm

I would throw the Rylance Shakespeares out there.

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#30best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/27/16 at 10:45pm

Another vote for the 1999 Kiss Me, Kate revival with Marin and Stokes!

@z5
#31best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/27/16 at 10:54pm

Gotta give props to Chicago having lasted strongly for 20 years, and it is a well-done show. 

Color Purple though...damn!-- what an incredible show that was done this time.

As for plays: A view From the Bridge

Honorable mentions to Blackbird (which had me totally awestruck) and Hedwig--not sure if those count because they were initially only done off-Broadway.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#32best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/27/16 at 10:56pm

In the same season, Spring Awakening and Color Purple were major "most improved" contenders in their revival productions. 

Emmaloucbway
#33best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/27/16 at 11:08pm

Pippin, Cabaret, Color Purple, and South Pacific. 

#34best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/28/16 at 2:14pm

PROMISES, PROMISES...the 2010 Broadway revival.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#35best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/28/16 at 8:33pm

BroadwayGuy12 wrote: The 2009 revival of RAGTIME remains one of the best things I've ever seen on Broadway. Still bummed I never got to see the original, but overjoyed that we got such a first-class revival.

The original production was far superior to the revival. I wish you had seen it... I'm mostly talking about the physical production; amazing sets and all...but that original cast was something else, too!

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#36best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/28/16 at 9:58pm

She Loves Me, for sure.

KateSam
#37best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/29/16 at 3:38am

South Pacific is the finest live, The best in video format is Sunday in the Park with george,

ANewBrainn Profile Photo
ANewBrainn
#38best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/29/16 at 2:26pm

The Color Purple, not only the best revival I've ever seen, one of the best productions I've ever seen, period.

Updated On: 9/29/16 at 02:26 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#39best revival on broadway?
Posted: 9/29/16 at 4:01pm

Broadway: Chicago and An Inspector Calls

West End: My Fair Lady (2001) and An Inspector Calls

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#40best revival on broadway?
Posted: 10/5/16 at 4:23pm

*Musical: 

Side Show with Erin Davie and Emily Padgett
Hedwig and the Angry Inch with NPH (and others) (not sure if the OP would count this, since it premiered Off-Broadway)

* I will be seeing The Color Purple later this year, and based on what I've heard/read, that may potentially end up changing this answer.

Play:

You Can't Take It With You with James Earl Jones, Annaleigh Ashford, Elizabeth Ashley

Updated On: 10/5/16 at 04:23 PM

AEA AGMA SM
#41best revival on broadway?
Posted: 10/5/16 at 6:44pm

The second show I saw on Broadway was the 94 revival of Damn Yankees (Beauty and the Beast was my first the night before). I don't know what the general consensus was on it at the time, especially considering the revisions to both the book and the arrangements in the score, but I still have very fond memories of it. To be honest, I have a hard time sitting through productions of that show that use the original book and arrangements.

I especially loved, and still do, the new arrangements for "Six Months Out of Every Year" from that revival, and the new arrangements for "Shoeless Joe" and the subsequent ad jingle reprises of it.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#42best revival on broadway?
Posted: 10/5/16 at 9:13pm

Pippin, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, Cabaret, and Side Show