pixeltracker

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread- Page 45

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#1100The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/8/21 at 7:17pm

Rumpelstiltskin said: "Thanks Bear88 for your thoughtful analysis.

Another point about shifting the timing of abuela’s death is simply that it precedes by minutes,but is not acknowledged at,theCarnival del Barrio. When Venessa complains that everyone is happy despite the heat and lack of power, I want to yell at the screen about the belovedneighborhood matriarch who died about threeminutes earlier.

ETA: Ok, I just fact-checked my comment and see that Daniella does open the scene by saying “Our matriarch bites the dustand this is how we move on? We are not powerless, we are powerful. If Claudia was here, she would say balance!” I like that. Ignore me.
"

It’s not balance it’s pa’l ante, but I digress….

CarlosAlberto
#1101The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread

Another point about shifting the timing of abuela’s death is simply that it precedes by minutes,but is not acknowledged at,theCarnival del Barrio. When Venessa complains that everyone is happy despite the heat and lack of power, I want to yell at the screen about the belovedneighborhood matriarch who died about threeminutes earlier.

ETA: Ok, I just fact-checked my comment and see that Daniella does open the scene by saying “Our matriarch bites the dustand this is how we move on? We are not powerless, we are powerful. If Claudia was here, she would say balance!” I like that. Ignore me.
"

CarlosAlberto
#1102The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread

"

CarlosAlberto
#1103The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread

"

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#1104The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/8/21 at 9:04pm

CarlosAlberto said: " . . . It’s not balance it’s pa’l ante, but I digress…."

No digression noted … I couldn’t make out what she was saying.  I assume that’s a contraction for ‘para adelante’?  Eso tiene más sentido!  Gracias amigo.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#1105The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/9/21 at 11:55am

The barrio solemnly pays their respects to the beloved Abuela Claudia (the equally beloved Olga Merediz) before the Grand Concourse bound Daniela, Carla and Cuca revive the grieving neighborhood in Carnival del Barrio.  This is no disrespect to la abuela but honors her dedication to the spirit of life, family and community.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#1106The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/9/21 at 11:55am

The barrio solemnly pays their respects to the beloved Abuela Claudia (the equally beloved Olga Merediz) before the Grand Concourse bound Daniela, Carla and Cuca revive the grieving neighborhood in Carnival del Barrio.  This is no disrespect to la abuela but honors her dedication to the spirit of life, family and community.

CarlosAlberto
#1107The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/9/21 at 1:21pm

Rumpelstiltskin said: "CarlosAlberto said: " . . .It’s not balance it’s pa’l ante, but I digress…."

No digression noted …I couldn’t make out what she was saying. I assume that’s a contraction for ‘para adelante’? Eso tiene más sentido! Gracias amigo.
"

You’re welcome! 

bear88
#1108The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/13/21 at 3:45am

bear88 said:

-- What was up with Miranda using some of his old lyrics in the finale when they made no sense given the new plotline?

I am quoting myself to point out my own mistake, though it took me a third viewing (caught it on its final night on HBO Max, though I'm sure it will return later in the year). There are spoilers below. 

The conclusion, which toggles between the "past" (when the events of almost the entire film take place) and the "present" threw me off. The original lyrics about a second date is from the scene in the "past" after Vanessa and Graffiti Pete have decorated the bodega.

Basically, it's a reasonably close approximation of the end of the stage show. I was confused because most of the scene's latter half is a reveal indicating that the events of the film took place years before - and includes a happy romantic ending. 

I think I have analyzed the choices by the creatives to death by now, but I think one reason is me trying to puzzle out why the film version felt less satisfying to me than the stage musical, which I saw in a regional production five years ago.

Part of it is the inherent difficulty of a stage-to-screen transfer. The original show, whatever its flaws, told a comparatively simple story that worked because of Miranda's clever wordplay and upbeat music that told the story of a particular world. The film updates the show, often in understandable ways. It's easy to understand why Hudes would want to include the plight of undocumented immigrants, Dreamers and casual racism into a story that already is about a Latino neighborhood that is disappearing due to rising rents.

The problem, I think, is that the immigration plotline feels tacked on. Hudes never devotes too much time to it, but there's enough time spent that it slows the film down. It also, as I mentioned in my earlier critique, makes Usnavi's plan to leave a teenage cousin he adores - facing an uphill legal fight - seem very implausible.

The Miranda/Hudes world of In the Heights was always a happy place without a villain or even much darkness, but the movie removes what little drama and grit that existed in the show. Benny is bummed about losing his job, but he seems to get along with Kevin swimmingly throughout. Vanessa sings about leaving the barrio for a better life, but in the film, she can't even create her art outside of Washington Heights - and ends up staying. (There's a feminist critique of this show that never got written due to the colorism controversy.) We even get a flash-forward at the end that doesn't bother to address what happened to all but two of the characters we followed for more than two hours.

There are flashes of the original show, because most of the songs - and the lyrics - are still there. But they don't quite mesh with the screenplay Hudes has written or Chu directed. That doesn't make it a bad film. There's plenty to enjoy. But I caught myself when people asked me if they should see it. If I knew they liked musicals, and Miranda's work in particular, I said yes. If not, I didn't recommend it - just said it was worth seeing.

A Director
#1109The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/13/21 at 4:33am

bear88 said: "bear88 said:

I don't think you understand Miranda and Hudes wrote the show in their 20s and wrote the film in their late 30s and early 40s. They've grown as people and artists, so I'm not surprised that made changes.

. It's easy to understand why Hudes would want to include the plight of undocumented immigrants, Dreamersand casual racism into a story that already is about a Latino neighborhood that is disappearing due to rising rents.

The film still tells the story of a disappearing Latinx neighborhood.

The problem, I think, is that the immigration plotline feels tacked on. Hudes never devotes too much time to it, but there's enough time spent that it slows the film down. It also, as I mentioned in my earlier critique, makes Usnavi's plan to leave a teenage cousin he adores - facing an uphill legal fight-seem very implausible.

Ms Hudes said when she went back to the stage script, she realized Sonny is the only major character who does not have a solo song. IMO, the immigration plot line does not feel tacked on.  The following is Sonny's solo (dream) in 96,000.

SONNY:

Yo!

with 96,000, I'd finally fix housing

give the barrio computers and wireless web browsing

Your kids are living without a good education

change the station, teach them about gentrification, the rent is escalating

GRAFFITI PETE:

what?

SONNY:

the rich are penetrating

GRAFFITI PETE:

what?

SONNY:

We pay our corporations

when we should be demonstrating

GRAFFITI PETE:

WHAT?!

SONNY:

What about immigration?

GRAFFITI PETE:

what?

SONNY:

politicians be hating

GRAFFITI PETE:

what?

SONNY:

Racism in this nation's gone from latent to blatant!

I'll cash my ticket and picket, invest in protest,

never lose my focus till the city takes notice.

and you know this man! I'll never sleep

because the ghetto has a million promises for me to keep!

Tough, merry Christmas.

You’re now the youngest

tycoon in Washington Hiznits.

SONNY

Yo!

With ninety six thousand, I’d

finally fix housin’,

Give the barrio computers

and wireless web browsin’,

Your kids are livin’ without a

good edumacation,

Change the station, teach ‘em

about gentrification.

The rent is escalatin’

GRAFFITI PETE

What?

SONNY

The rich are penetratin’

What?

SONNY

We pay our corporations

when we should be

demonstratin’

GRAFFITI PETE

What?!

SONNY

What about immigration?

GRAFFITI PETE

What?

SONNY

Politicians be hatin’

GRAFFITI PETE

What?

SONNY

Racism in this nation’s gone

from latent to blatant!

community

Oooooh!

SONNY

I’ll cash my ticket and picket,

invest in protest,

Never lose my focus till the

city takes notice

And you know this man! I’ll

never sleep

Because the ghetto has a

million promises for me to

keep!

He is the only one who thinks about other people.  This may have influenced the immigration plot  line. As for Usnavi leaving Sonny behind, you would have a point if Usnavi left. He doesn't.

Vanessa sings about leaving the barrio for a betterlife, but in the film, she can't even create her artoutside of Washington Heights - and ends up staying. (There's a feminist critique of this show that never got written due to the colorism controversy.)

A feminist critique? Do tell?  It was clear to me Vanessa thought she had to leave Washington Heights to be creative and, what is worse, she has to forget about her neighborhood to please white folks.  She comes to realize this is not true.

There are flashes of the original show, because most of the songs - and the lyrics - are still there. But they don't quite mesh with the screenplay Hudes has written or Chu directed. 

Nonsense. From my point of view, the screenplay deepens to story.

bear88
#1110The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/22/21 at 3:59am

Congrats to Leslie Grace for getting the role of Batgirl.

One wonders if this is one of those movies that people will see in future years in part because several of its leading cast members became stars.

CarlosAlberto
#1111The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 8/1/21 at 5:27am

The movie is now available to purchase on all streaming platforms. $24.99 to own/$19.99 to rent in the iTunes Store and on Amazon. $26.99 to own/$19.99 to rent on VUDU. 4K, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos...extras included. 

Physical media versions available to pre-order: Blu-Ray and 4K Ultra HD versions are being released on August 31st.

Updated On: 8/1/21 at 05:27 AM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1112The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/13/21 at 9:33am

Golden Globe nominations from this morning included actor for Anthony Ramos. 

bear88
#1113The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/13/21 at 1:28pm

It's the Golden Globes, but I am glad Ramos got some recognition.

Wayman_Wong
#1114The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/13/21 at 1:36pm

Alas, ''In the Heights'' got shut out at the Critics Choice Awards. Deserved better!

But they loved ''West Side Story,'' which tied with ''Belfast'' for 11 nominations.

https://variety.com/2021/awards/awards/critics-choice-nominations-2021-1235131779/

Updated On: 12/13/21 at 01:36 PM

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#1115The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 3:39am

Not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere already, but Netflix is telling me the film will be available on 22 March.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#1116The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 7:36am

Sadly, IN THE HEIGHTS has been forgotten about by both the audiences and its creators.  Both have since moved on.  Lin-Manuel Miranda has a handful of other projects that have garnered awards and major nominations so he’s doing great.  The film adaptation of IN THE HEIGHTS was just a hiccup in his career.  

inception Profile Photo
inception
#1117The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 10:02am

I doubt the creators forget about it.   There were plenty of other films produced before the pandemic that also failed to gain traction with audiences...did you know they made another Ghostbusters movie?  I didn't until I saw it on the shelf at Walmart the other week.  I'd guess that lost even more money.  Tom Cruise made a new Top Gun movie, which hasn't even seen the light of day yet.  I even read somewhere that there was a new version of West Side Story?  Not sure, movie theaters were closed here for months & just reopened.

bfreak
#1118The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 10:10am

Most people I know who saw In the Heights (from many different backgrounds and tastes) loved it. It did not do well financially, but was overall well received. Yes, the discourse after it opened that surrounded the film negatively impacted it, but not to a great extent that it made much of a difference. The creators and director should all be very proud.

BwayLB
#1119The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 12:59pm

One day hopefully it will get a cult following. I enjoyed the movie for the most part. The script was a bit more cohesive. But they should not have cut out Sunrise, Hundreds of Stories or Everything I Know.

Updated On: 3/3/22 at 12:59 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#1120The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 3/3/22 at 1:08pm

Fans love it and will watch it on Netflix or HBO Max. It's a fun, beautiful love letter to upper Manhattan. It will never be forgotten by anyone who it connected with, especially Lin who lives there and who wanted to create the movie since 2009. It meant a lot to him. Period.