Ride the cyclone MCC

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 10/6/16 at 9:42pm

Some new promotional video for ride the cyclone at MCC: https://youtu.be/HGaHvG2Wkm8

I'm upset the entire Chicago shakes cast isn't returning to the show. Jackson, Russell and Tiffany were really exceptional. I'm also overjoyed that Emily Rohm is finally making it to the NY theatre scene. She has been stunning in everything she has played here in Chicago. Please do not miss this show nor Emily's vocals.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 10/6/16 at 09:42 PM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#2Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 10/6/16 at 9:46pm

Any inkling if they're hoping to extend this? Or, if it's even an option? The run, otherwise, feels so short to me.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#3Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 10/6/16 at 9:50pm

Why didn't the whole cast transfer? The production was a smash, why change half the cast?

Call_me_jorge
#4Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 10/6/16 at 9:52pm

^they probably wanted to get at least a few people with NY credits. I also think Tiffany is in school, no? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#5Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 10/6/16 at 11:45pm

Tiffany Tatreau graduated last year. She got great reviews but I guess a Broadway vet seemed a more attractive choice. Whatever - she seems to be working constantly in Chicago and will continue to do well for herself.

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#6Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 10/7/16 at 12:19am

I live on the left coast, but I am very intrigued by the clips and reports I've seen for "Ride the Cyclone" from Chicago and before.  I truly hope that it is a success at MCC and transfers.  Cause I'm planning a New York trip in the spring Ride the cyclone MCC

Call_me_jorge
#7Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 10/7/16 at 9:06am

I hope they record an album. I just need to listen to those songs again.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#8Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 10/7/16 at 10:14am

I would like to see this, but I'm afraid it will be too depressing for me. My psyche is very fragile! Ride the cyclone MCC 

But I felt the same way about Fun Home, and I ended up loving that.

For anyone who has seen Ride the Cyclone, how did you feel when it was over? Is it worth seeing?

Call_me_jorge
#9Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 10/7/16 at 10:20am

Yes it is a sad story, but they leave you on a high note. It's a very heartwarming show. If you loved fun home you will most likely end up loving this.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 10/7/16 at 10:25am

The production is receiving enhancement money with the hopes of eventually transferring for a commercial run. I would say a cast recording is pretty likely.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#11Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/1/16 at 5:36pm

I just bought tickets, despite my initial misgivings, and now I'm looking forward to it! I just wanted to mention that there are $30 tickets for sale for the month of November. They are marked with red squares on the seating chart.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#12Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/1/16 at 8:30pm

I got mine and can't wait!  No misgivings here.

aj88
#13Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/2/16 at 7:26am

I'm seeing this November 22. Curious to see it as the story sounds very intriguing.

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#14Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/10/16 at 12:07pm

Now that "Ride The Cyclone" has begun previews, I'm hoping someone will post their thoughts and info about the show  Ride the cyclone MCC

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#15Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/10/16 at 1:29pm

I'll be there on Sunday, and I'll report back.

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#16Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/10/16 at 2:08pm

Thanks !

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#17Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/10/16 at 4:26pm

Am I the only one who feels that this show is essentially bad PR for the real Cyclone in Coney Island? It does portray a tragic accident occurring there...eh, what do I know.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

jbm2
#18Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/11/16 at 8:36pm

For anyone who is seen this? Is it appropriate for a high school aged student?

jbm2
#19Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/11/16 at 8:42pm

macnyc said: "I just bought tickets, despite my initial misgivings, and now I'm looking forward to it! I just wanted to mention that there are $30 tickets for sale for the month of November. They are marked with red squares on the seating chart.

For those of you who have sat in the $30 seats? How are they?

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#20Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/11/16 at 8:44pm

I'd give the show a mild PG-13 for mild profanity and some tame sexuality. The students survived a violent accident but none of the violence was on stage in the Chicago production. The teens briefly discuss their sexual experience and two characters sing about their sexual fantasies. The Chicago production staged these with:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Two young men making out while one of them wears a skimpy drag outfit.

Another young man dancing suggestively with the women while wearing a ridiculous "spaceman" jumpsuit.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#21Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/11/16 at 11:10pm

Caught the first preview this week, in one of the $30 seats! I was in the second row, dead center!

The show was really, really outstanding.

It has an unfortunate odd start - they have to figure out a way to tell the audience that a group of choir kids just died on a roller coaster, and it is not as cleanly written as it could be. After the first 10 minutes, however, the show is a blast.

The storyline is very simple. 6 kids are dead, and only 1 can return to life. They then spend the next 90 minutes telling their stories until the group decides who can return to their life. Each character gets their own production number. After the first one, I thought, "Am I going to have to sit through 5 more of these?" and I rolled my eyes. But with every number, they step it up. Each one is impeccably executed, I was in awe. The writing/music, staging, and effects were outstanding. The cast is top-notch, and I loved every performance, not to mention how well they worked as an ensemble. 

The production values for this show are unreal. The lighting, scenic design, and special effects were better than many Broadway shows I have recently seen. My only qualm was the sound design, but as the Artistic Director noted before the start of the show, this is their 3rd musical - ever - in the space. 

If they dramaturgically find a way to fix the beginning of the show, I think this would be a near-perfect show all in all. The book is really fantastic, realistic, and has a beautiful message about life. This would do really well at New World, or a bigger Off-Broadway space with an excellent marketing campaign.

I saw this Wednesday night, after being sick to my stomach all day. I was truly dreading going to see a musical about a bunch of kids that die on a roller coaster. But I am so pleased to say that even on one of the worst days I have ever had, I left smiling, laughing, and really, really hopeful. 

trpguyy
#22Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/12/16 at 9:46am

"The storyline is very simple. 6 kids are dead, and only 1 can return to life. They then spend the next 90 minutes telling their stories until the group decides who can return to their life."

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to seeing this show. But it kind of sounds like Cats in a different setting. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#23Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/13/16 at 6:54pm

What a bizarre show this is, and I mean that in the best way possible. I loved each character's story, and can't choose a favorite.  I liked the girl playing Constance, but her voice didn't blow me away and I feel like it's supposed to when she finally gets her big number.  She was good but not great.  All of the others were excellent.  

The sets was impressive for such a small theatre.  It had a Moulin Rouge meets American Horror Story: Freak Show vibe.  The songs were tuneful and gave us insight into each character.  

I'm not sure if this has the potential to transfer; it seems like a really fun, cool Off-Broadway show and it fits perfectly there.  I'm sure they're considering the move though since the show seems to be selling well.  If they do want to transfer, they need to improve those first 10 minutes, as a precious poster stated.  The setup is too long and morbid.  Other than that, really fun afternoon in the Village.

kweeningenue
#24Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/15/16 at 12:40am

Hi there! To those of you who have seen the show, what do you mean that the beginning of show is too morbid? I'm a squeamish person and I'm worried that I might not deal very well with that part! Just give me a heads up!

Also- is Gus Halper still in the show? He wasn't in the new promotional material so I was wondering. My friend went to school with him and apparently he is an INCREDIBLE actor. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#25Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/15/16 at 7:00am

Nothing gory about it, just slow and dark.  It explains that they're a group of choir kids, the accident that happened, etc.  Took too long to really get into the main focus of the story and a lot of death talk (I get that that is what the show is about, but once the action starts, it doesn't seem as depressing).