Ride the cyclone MCC

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#25Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/15/16 at 7:00am

Nothing gory about it, just slow and dark.  It explains that they're a group of choir kids, the accident that happened, etc.  Took too long to really get into the main focus of the story and a lot of death talk (I get that that is what the show is about, but once the action starts, it doesn't seem as depressing).

After Eight
#26Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/17/16 at 8:15am

I wish that so many of today's musicals weren't so sophomoric in their attitudes and (attempts at) humor. I also wish they weren't so pleased with themselves. Finally, I wish that musicals that traffic in hip irreverence wouldn't paradoxically take themselves so seriously. If my wishes were granted, a quirky piece like Ride the Cyclone would be far more engaging. To its credit, it does have a number of tunes that make for agreeable listening, imaginative staging and design, and an able cast. Ultimately, interest wanes far too often in the course of the evening, which seems far longer than it is. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#27Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/21/16 at 2:09pm

Yes, Gus Halper is still in the show.

The beginning is eerie, because

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

one of the victims had been decapitated in the accident, and you see her standing there from behind, headless.

The beginning didn't bother me at all because the show is pretty creepy, although it has elements of levity. My friend and I enjoyed it a lot. I think the production, however expensive looking and elaborate for Off Broadway, belongs in a small theater. I enjoyed the score although none of the songs really stuck with me. I don't see this transferring to Broadway. A longer Off Broadway run would be nice, though, because I think the audience is definitely out there.

One quibble: I don't know if it was the sound design, the accoustics, or the performances, but I had trouble understanding the lyrics in most of the songs.

Updated On: 11/23/16 at 02:09 PM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#28Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/21/16 at 2:20pm

Wow, the story sounds a lot like the Frankel and Korie show Happiness that played Lincoln Center back in 2009... (and that was hard to sit through, once you figured out what was going on.)

Updated On: 11/21/16 at 02:20 PM

mamaleh
#29Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/22/16 at 12:58am

CYCLONE was superior to HAPPINESS on many fronts including book, score and staging.  The former, despite its premise, has many unexpectedly funny moments; the songs are catchy and memorable; and the effects, especially towards the end, are eye-popping.  For me, HAPPINESS dragged in too many spots. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#30Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/22/16 at 8:41am

Still holding out for a cast recording. Would love to hear this show again. Especially Rohm.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#31Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/22/16 at 11:26pm

What the hell?

I don't mind quirky, but this didn't have the convictions of its quirkiness. 

Each victim gets his own number.  And they aren't very quirky nor interesting nor inventive. 

By the end I really didn't care if anyone came back.  Talented group.  But this def won't transfer anywhere.

Now THE LEGEND OF GEORGIA MCBRIDE (played in the same theatre) SHOULD have transferred.  It was wonderful.

jbm2
#32Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/23/16 at 12:10am

I had such high hopes for this- after reading all of these posts. Saw it last night and was disappointed.

Lots of talent on the stage, but the production felt very juvenile. I didn't care about any of the characters. This may have a long life in high school or community theaters, but that's about it.

I'm only in the city for 4 days this month and am disappointed a spent one of the nights seeing this. 

playbill-love
#33Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/23/16 at 11:39pm

Really hoping this extends so I can catch it in late December or has a future life in NYC so that I can see it some other time I'm in the city. It sounds weird and right up my alley.

Also very curious about who will replace Taylor Louderman, who has apparently left the show due to "creative differences" per her twitter https://twitter.com/taylizlou/status/801640913906843649

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#34Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 12:17am

Looks like Tiffany Tatreau will be reprising her role as she did in Chicago.

http://www.mcctheater.org/shows/16-17_season/ride-the-cyclone/whoswho.html

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#35Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 3:14am

I saw Taylor Louderman Thurs night. That was her last performance?

Updated On: 11/24/16 at 03:14 AM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#36Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 6:56am

Wow, this is an interesting development. I thought creative differences were more likely to arise earlier in the process, not while the show is up and running! Whatever happened, the producers are lucky that they have someone willing and able to just step in like that, presumably after being passed over for the New York production in the first place.  

Updated On: 11/24/16 at 06:56 AM

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#37Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 7:09am

Wonder what the disagreement was about.  

Call_me_jorge
#38Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:27am

She also posted something about creative differences on her Instagram. I really can't imagine this show would allow for creative differenences.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

jbird5
#39Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 11:27am

Paging Michae Riedel, although I don't think he cares much about off-Broadway.

Julia Garner also left their production of Smokefall just before previews, allegedly due to other commitments.

It could be buyers remorse on casting a 'name' when a lesser known is just a better fit. Updated On: 11/24/16 at 11:27 AM

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#40Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 12:41pm

Saw and absolutely loved the Chicago production. I'm thrilled that Tiffany is joining the show!  She was amazing, and I'm so happy for her. Seeing this production on Saturday and even more excited now. Break a leg, Tiffany. 

slow_the_rain
#41Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 12:54pm

The decision was by no means a mutual decision. The director and creative team never got along with her and wanted the Chicago actress from the get go. (Also heard tell that she wasn't the easiest to work with behind the scenes but whether that's true or simply used by the creative team to justify their firing, we shall never know)

Call_me_jorge
#42Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 1:44pm

So was Taylor brought in through the producers? If they didn't want her why did they cast her? 

slow_the_rain
#43Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 3:31pm

Seems to me like MCC and Telsey brought in NY talent that would appeal to a local or a younger audience (Taylor and Alex Wyse, both of whom have exposure and a devoted following) while the creatives favored the Chicago cast. 

neonlightsxo
#44Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 4:32pm

This is a super weird development. What's the Equity rule about this?

I'm disappointed, I really like Taylor and was hoping to catch her in this...

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#45Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/24/16 at 9:50pm

I thought she was quite good. 

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#46Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/28/16 at 11:26am

Ruh-roh.

Interesting news...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#47Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/28/16 at 11:28am

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Ruh-roh.

Interesting news...
"

Nothing that hasn't already been mentioned in this thread, right?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#48Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/28/16 at 11:28am

Yeah. I noticed that after the fact but could not delete the post. Sorry guys.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#49Ride the cyclone MCC
Posted: 11/28/16 at 11:34am

Has anyone seen Tiffany Tatreau in the role yet in New York? I'm not sure when she started. Opening night is Dec. 1.

Updated On: 11/28/16 at 11:34 AM