Margaritaville musical

perfectliar
#25Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/10/17 at 9:32pm

Previews started at La Jolla yesterday... Has anyone attended, or does anyone have plans to go?

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#26Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/10/17 at 11:28pm

Kad said: "Maybe it should open in Okeechobee.

"

LOL. Have you been to Okeechobee? You couldn't open a supermarket there at this point.

Yours,
A (former) Floridian

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#27Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/10/17 at 11:56pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Spongebob was barely making its way through financially wise. I also compare them, because if a show that would hopefully market to families can't make it I don't think a show marketed to parrot heads can make it.

Would you care to present figures to back up your claim re SpongeBob's Chicago engagement?  I believe it was even extended a bit due to demand for tickets.  That is according to Wikipedia.

Certainly I have no regrets about flying in from California on a whim - not like me at all - to see the production with a sold-out Chicago crowd who had a [Bikini Bottom beach] ball.  Even received a backstage tour/photo op with Gavin Lee [Squidward] post-performance.  

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#28Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/11/17 at 8:49am

I understand the knocks Buffett takes. He has a catalogue filled with frivolity. He also has knack for economical, aching storytelling (“He Went to Paris" )and melancholy evocativeness (“Come Monday" ). And given his age and musical milieu, his introspective treatment of male angst might surprise casual listeners. (Pro tip: the protagonist who pleads with a woman to get drunk and screw is not a hero, but a pathetic, alpha-male poseur.) My point is, he’s spent his entire career writing stories and characters, so the idea of a Buffett musical isn’t so crazy to me.

According to the La Jolla website, he’s writing original material for it, but I’m not terribly optimistic with the creative geniuses responsible for “Yes, Dear” writing the book. I think a decent Buffett book musical is theoretically possible, but I doubt this will be it. (I can’t imagine it being a commercial success even if it were.)

That all said, I’m looking forward to hearing reports about it.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES
Updated On: 5/11/17 at 08:49 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#29Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/11/17 at 10:09am

GavestonPS said: "Kad said: "Maybe it should open in Okeechobee.

"

LOL. Have you been to Okeechobee? You couldn't open a supermarket there at this point.

Yours,
A (former) Floridian
"

I'm also a Floridian! That post was actually referencing a long-buried thread by someone that was (ridiculously) alleging that Punchdrunk was looking at opening a production in Okeechobee.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#30Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/11/17 at 10:16am

Listen, I'm the one who alleged the Okeechobee thing based off a crazy rumor someone (who I thought at the time) could be trusted with matters about proceedings of those nature.  I posted it and even I thought it was crazy.  

Broadway World's Fireman.
Updated On: 5/11/17 at 10:16 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#31Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/17/17 at 8:26pm

Has anyone seen this yet??? Really interested to hear at how Alison is in this. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#32Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/23/17 at 12:26am

I saw Margaritaville yesterday.  It's my understanding that people don't post a lot on here till a show has opened.  But I will say at this point that I enjoyed it.  It's similar to Momma, Mia! and Honeymoon in Vegas.  Its major goal is entertain with a fun pop score.  There are areas that need work, but I think it succeeds to a large extent.  And I'm not a Jimmy Buffet fan.   Will write more soon.

Updated On: 5/23/17 at 12:26 AM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#33Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/23/17 at 6:33am

"Oh man, I get the big "this is going die out-of-town" feelings on this one."

I agree but worse things made it to Broadway like "Lennon" and "Good Vibrations".

perfectliar
#34Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/23/17 at 7:04pm

StageDoor3 said: "I saw Margaritaville yesterday.  It's my understanding that people don't post a lot on here till a show has opened.  But I will say at this point that I enjoyed it.  It's similar to Momma, Mia! and Honeymoon in Vegas.  Its major goal is entertain with a fun pop score.  There are areas that need work, but I think it succeeds to a large extent.  And I'm not a Jimmy Buffet fan.   Will write more soon."

People generally post throughout previews. Personally, I believe if an audience pays for a show, they obviously can talk about it, critique it, etc. Having said that, what is the show about? Is there new music or just repurposed Buffett songs?

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#35Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/24/17 at 3:54am

The musical has a full book with existing and new Jimmy Buffet songs interegrated into the story.  Unfortunately, not being a follower of Jimmy Buffet I can't tell you all that's new or all that's been adapted.  I'll see if I can scan the two song lists - the one printed in the program and the one inserted at the performance I saw last weekend which is different and indicates a show in progress.  

The show is about two women taking a trip to a tropical resort as a last fling before one of them gets married. Lisa Howard is the woman about to get married to a man who wants her to lose weight, and her friend Alison Luff is a geologist and conservationist trying to get a big contract, an all-work and no-play kind of woman.   Paul Alexander Nolan is the guitar playing entertainer at the resort.  The resort is run by a fast talking Jamaican woman, bartended by a schlubby but likeable friend of Paul Nolan's and frequented by an old wartime vet whom everyone thinks is crazy.  They're all used to a revolving pack of tourists - in one day and out a week later.  Nolan beds pretty girls on a revolving door basis with no care that the door hits the girls who fall for him on the way out.  Yeah, it's a sit com/Love Boat set up, and you know where it's going to go with the A couple, the B couple and the C couple all trying to woo or avoid getting wooed by each other and avoid falling for temptations of the island.   There are some sections that could use some polishing, but on the whole it's entertaining with the songs integrated cleverly into the plot and even having overtones you don't normally associate with the songs because of how they are used in the plot.  The show has big dance numbers, fantasy elements, audience participation, attractive chorus girls and boys, the catchy idosycratic music and lyrics of Jimmy Buffet and a "we're going to take you away on a tropical island and entertain you for 2 hours" feel from the minute you walk into the theatre.  Think Momma Mia and Honeymoon in Vegas.  It was better than I thought it would be cause I'm not a fan of Momma, Mia or jukebox musicals.  Is it worth a $250 premium ticket in New York?  That's a tough call.  That's a tough call for a lot of shows these days.  But I'll be interested in seeing how this show does.

Updated On: 5/24/17 at 03:54 AM

perfectliar
#36Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/24/17 at 8:00am

Thanks so much! I'm really curious about this, being a Buffett fan, but I can see it easily being either mindless escapist fun like Mamma Mia or mindless drivel like Good Vibrations.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#37Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/27/17 at 1:27pm

Saw this last night, and I have to say it's a fun night in the theater.  I don't have much to add to StageDoor3's plot summary as he nailed it.  This is more in the vein of Momma, Mia rather than Jersey Boys.  There is some fun staging and I will add the songs are very well integrated in the show and for the most part work extremely well.  I can't remember an audience this amped up for a show in a while, and for the target audience it delivers.  Is it perfect? Definitely needs some fine tuning (a couple of the songs don't land or feel awkwardly placed, however, they are the exception).  They are still tinkering as you expect.

The cast is uniformly excellent selling a thin plot.  All four of the primary leads (Paul Alexander Nolan, Charlie Pollock, Alison Luff, and Lisa Howard) are excellent.  Particular kudos to Mr. Nolan.  I've seen him in a few shows now, and he really is giving a charismatic performance (this could be a star maker for him).  His voice works perfectly on these songs, and the duets with Ms. Luff are wonderful.  I enjoyed Ms. Luff's performance, but she is not given the best songs (in my opinion).  She really is in need of an "I want" type song to cut loose on.  Mr. Pollock and Ms. Howard provide the "B" couple roles and are charming and fun.

Quite honestly, I believe the market for this will be more in regional and on tour.  I can see it doing okay in New York, but most of the songs are not as well known as in Momma, Mia, so I don't think it will have the legs.  Not sure I'd pay upwards of $100 plus for a ticket, but then I'm not a Parrothead.  They are definitely planning on taking this to Broadway after a few more stops on the road (per the very nice lady at the concession stand).  So is this mind blowing theater? No.  Is this a totally fun, pretty mindless evening to enjoy and forget your cares? Pretty, much.    

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#38Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/27/17 at 5:35pm

Is there anything innovative, interesting happening with the design?

I don't know why you both said Honeymoon in Vegas as it's not a juxebox show, and I wouldn't say its primary goal was to just "entertain." Mamma Mia, yes. I get. 

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#39Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/27/17 at 6:24pm

I haven't seen Honeymoon in Vegas (the show, yes to the movie, but not the show).  It reminded me most of Mamma Mia.  A show that doesn't have any great stakes, but is just fun.  It has elements of Priscilla Queen of the Desert (as it's about show people, but not gay themed) and All Shook Up (but better in my mind).

Is there anything innovative? No.  There are some fun surprises in the staging (which I will not spoil for those that will see it), and there is a lot of breaking the fourth wall by many characters - where the audience is included in the island band's audience, etc.

Because the lead character is a lead singer of a band at a tropical resort, there is opportunity to sing some of Jimmy Buffet's more good time, party numbers,  But there are many songs integrated into the plot as well. It's a show that you smile through and laugh a lot.  Just summery, light feeling much as you expect from Jimmy Buffet.

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 06:24 PM

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#40Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/27/17 at 6:43pm

By the way, Jimmy came out at the curtain call and did a sing-a-long to Margaritaville last night.  Not sure if that is regular or not.  He does seem to be involved in the work on the show.  As I said above, everyone (well pretty much everyone) seemed to have a blast.  There were a lot of Parrotheads in the audience.  

Cheers all.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#41Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/27/17 at 10:40pm

Thanks for the detailed review, sounds better than I thought it would be. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/27/17 at 11:15pm

Agreed! Sounds far more interesting than Roman Holiday. 

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#43Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/28/17 at 11:29am

Thanks for your postings, mlsheehan.   I think they're well-stated, and I agree with them.  You're lucky you got to see Jimmy Buffet.

To RippedMan, I compared it to "Honeymoon in Vegas" because it's a musical comedy with a contemporary story, stereotypical characters done rather well, fun humor, smart staging and a lively score designed just to entertain (jukebox or not).

And to answer your other post -  I saw both "Roman Holiday" and "Monsoon Wedding" yesterday.  And you would be perceptive in your comment "Sounds far more interesting than Roman Holiday."   I had more fun at "Margaritaville".  They're two different kinds of shows, but for me it was a more satisfying musical theatre experience.   "Roman Holiday" was enjoyable for its score, performances and large sets, but I think it needs a larger ensemble and more imaginative script and directorial touches to push it to a higher level.  That's what out of town tryouts are for - for both shows

Updated On: 5/28/17 at 11:29 AM

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#44Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/28/17 at 12:13pm

And speaking of working on shows out of town - Here are the song listings for "Escape From Margaritaville" - the Program Song List and the Insert Song List that was put in the program when I saw it on May 14, 2017.  As you can see they're slightly different...

ACT ONE - Program Song List
License to Chill
Fins
Big World, Little World
Ragtop Day
Why Don't We Get Drunk
Three Chords
We Are the People Our Parents Warned Us About
The Natives Are Restless
Son of a Son of a Sailor
My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink and I Don't Love Jesus
Medley: Coconut Telegraph/Last Mango in Paris/Havana Daydreamin'/Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Margaritaville

ACT ONE – Insert Song List, May 14, 2017
License to Chill
Fins
The Weather is Here / I Wish You Were Beautiful
Ragtop Day
Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw It's My Job
We Are the People Our Parents Warned Us About/The Natives Are Restless
Son of a Sailor
My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink and I Don't Love Jesus
Medley: Coconut Telegraph/Last Mango in Paris/Havana Daydreamin'/Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Margaritaville?

ACT TWO – Program Song List
Volcano
Grapefruit-Juicy Fruit
He Went to Paris
Cheeseburger in Paradise
Tin Cup Chalice
Love and Luck
Come Monday
Beautifulness
One Particular Harbor

ACT TWO – Insert Song List, May 14, 2017
Volcano
Grapefruit - Juicy Fruit
He Went to Paris
Cheeseburger in Paradise
Tin Cup Chalice
Love and Luck
Come Monday
Beautifulness
One Particular Harbor

Updated On: 5/28/17 at 12:13 PM

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#45Margaritaville musical
Posted: 5/28/17 at 3:35pm

A friend saw this last night and said that there was live reggae music outside of the venue, margaritas, and Jimmy Buffett showed up at curtain call.  There were also beach balls being tossed around to the audience at curtain call.   Said it was really a fun night.  Wish I could fly down to see it!