WAR PAINT on Broadway

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#50WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 3:22pm

It was the highest-grossing show in the history of the Goodman Theater in Chicago.

I'm not surprised considering the tickets were the highest priced in Goodman history as well, which makes mention of the grosses nothing more than a sensational marketing ploy.  The real evidence would be in the net income (if any).  It's clear that a lot of money went into the design and God knows what the star salaries were.  The current production of Wonderful Town is so vastly superior to War Paint, it only served to move the latter even further from my memory.

I didn't get the impression that what I saw would cause any great buzz or enthusiasm that translates to a potential hit other than possibly for the leading ladies.  Once the musical theatre enthusiasts have flooded the initial few weeks, I'm not sure even critical raves would be enough to keep the show afloat.  It's not as if the show was this big smash hit in Chicago everyone was talking about.  It would be great if they do a massive amount of work to re-write and re-stage the show into a more compelling piece of theatre, and I'd love to see that happen and wish the show success, but based on what I saw, the show has a very steep uphill climb on the backs of the two leading women (only one of whom delivered the only song that seemed memorable enough to reference in connection with the show).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#51WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 3:41pm

Mister Matt is right. The Goodman press releases were positive PR spun to look that way. The ticket prices were quickly jacked up, inflating the gross, and it was not a sold out run even though it was touted that way. You could come by tickets most nights, many as discounted rush seats. Also, according to staff I spoke to, many older patrons and subscribers didn't like it-they found it boring.

I really liked it, but the creative team has work to do. Selling out the Nederlander, which has about 400 more seats than the Goodman will be a challenge.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#52WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 4:29pm

I'm not sure if "War Paint" transferring would help a "Wonderful Town" transfer or hurt it, but I've actually heard some rumblings of a potential transfer. I'd love for it to come in the 2017-2018 season.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#53WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 4:58pm

gypsy101 said: "Jorge, in whose mind could Glinda be the lead of Wicked? the title automatically disqualifies her.

"

Well Glinda does end up wicked. Also I'm saying this after reading this old thread. post #28 specifically https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1058719&page=1

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#54WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 5:27pm

Mister Matt said: "It was the highest-grossing show in the history of the Goodman Theater in Chicago.

I'm not surprised considering the tickets were the highest priced in Goodman history as well, which makes mention of the grosses nothing more than a sensational marketing ploy.  The real evidence would be in the net income (if any).  It's clear that a lot of money went into the design and God knows what the star salaries were.  The current production of Wonderful Town is so vastly superior to War Paint, it only served to move the latter even further from my memory.

I didn't get the impression that what I saw would cause any great buzz or enthusiasm that translates to a potential hit other than possibly for the leading ladies.  Once the musical theatre enthusiasts have flooded the initial few weeks, I'm not sure even critical raves would be enough to keep the show afloat.  It's not as if the show was this big smash hit in Chicago everyone was talking about.  It would be great if they do a massive amount of work to re-write and re-stage the show into a more compelling piece of theatre, and I'd love to see that happen and wish the show success, but based on what I saw, the show has a very steep uphill climb on the backs of the two leading women (only one of whom delivered the only song that seemed memorable enough to reference in connection with the show).

Mister Matt is totally on target. I went in hoping for a great, or at least a campily entertaining show, but what I got was a 2.5 hour slog. And the matinee audience, mostly made up of older women, was clearly unimpressed with the show. Would love to be wrong, but with all the really promising shows already on the boards for the spring, WAR PAINT will need more than its leading ladies to sell full-priced seats.

"

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#55WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 5:28pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Well Glinda does end up wicked."

WAR PAINT on Broadway

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#56WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 5:36pm

This is so off-topic, but as even the show's logo suggests with the glint of green in Glinda's eye, she does in fact have wickedness within her. And the way wickedness can manifest itself in different ways is a big theme of the show. Thinking of that trait as only being associated with the "wicked witch" is taking it too literally. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#57WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 5:39pm

You guys realise that there is more than just raising ticket prices here right...like people actually buying them at that cost? If raising ticket prices was the secret to making money on Broadway this would be the easiest business in the world. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Mister Matt
#58WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 11:05pm

We're talking about highest grosses at the Goodman, a smaller regional subscriber-based theatre, not a large Broadway house.  Raising the prices of single tickets is how they achieved that goal in a show with a limited run that wasn't sold out.  And as far as I know, we haven't heard if the show actually made any profit (or surplus for the theatre, considered it's not-for-profit).  There was no mention of the show breaking attendance records, either.  They may have gotten a few more people to buy full-time tickets, but this was hardly a high-profile theatrical event in Chicago.  The revival of Iceman Cometh was a MUCH bigger event for the Goodman and the last really big buzz-worthy show there in a while.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#59WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/15/16 at 4:14am

So if I understand correctly what you're saying is that if they raised the ticket prices for some of their previous productions they'd have the same outcome? If they could, I'm wondering why they didn't  (seems a bit fiscally silly). 

In any case, the show was practically (I looked at most dates and while there were some scattered seats for some performances, for the most part the theatre was pretty much full) sold out at Broadway-level pricing in a theatre that is almost Broadway size for a decent chunk of time. I'm not suggesting it means it will succeed (this whole thing reminds me of Follies - very strong out of town performance in a smaller theatre, strong opening on Broadway and then a somewhat staggered end). But personally I think we have to acknowledge it has genuinely had a good run thus far. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/15/16 at 04:14 AM

Mister Matt
#60WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/15/16 at 12:16pm

It had a good run at the Goodman.  I'm not denying that.  Just that the claim of having the highest grosses in Goodman history is a boast of success or relative to anything other than having successfully sold a number of single tickets at higher prices than for previous productions.  It does sound impressive and kudos to their marketing for leveraging that information to make people believe it equates into a quality show that should be seen.  Apparently, it worked on some folks.

Call_me_jorge
#61WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/29/16 at 9:31pm

I just checked the IBDB page and it has Marc Platt as a producer. I just thought that was interesting. I know he has produced other musicals since Wicked, but he was far down the list for those musicals. So it seems like this is his first major involvement since Wicked. Unless I'm wrong.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#62WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/29/16 at 10:36pm

He co-produced If/Then with a few other people, David Stone was one of them (who's also with him on War Paint). I'm surprised that he's not one of Dear Evan Hansen producers. I was under the impression he was.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Whateverjsays
#63WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/29/16 at 10:44pm

Any rumor on when tickets go on sale? I can't figure out what the demand for This is. I want to make sure I get tickets, not miss out because I'm busy at work or something. I've already got a trip planned for NYC and have tickets for Dolly and Groundhog Day. This is the last thing I need to complete my trip 

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#64WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/30/16 at 12:32am

Also curious here.... hoping they have a Sunday matinee or evening show to complete our trip. (SO many of the new spring shows are skipping Sundays until May.)

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#65WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/30/16 at 12:53am

Shows usually skip Sundays during previews, I think. For rehearsals or something. I don't know. That's what someone told me once and I've never questioned it! 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Call_me_jorge
#66WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/30/16 at 12:57am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Well Glinda does end up wicked."

WAR PAINT on Broadway

"

Why don't you believe Glinda is wicked? In the show they "the wicked die alone" and who ends up being alone by the end of the show? Not elphaba, Glinda does. 

CindersGolightly
#67WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/30/16 at 1:05am

You don't understand the show if you're reducing Elphaba and G(a)linda to wicked and not wicked. That's not what it's about. Neither are wicked.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#68WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/30/16 at 1:13am

http://www.warpaintmusical.com/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

CindersGolightly
#69WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/30/16 at 1:34am

That website is gorgeous. Elizabeth and Helena would be proud.

Mr Kelly Profile Photo
Mr Kelly
#70WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/30/16 at 4:00am

Website has made me excited. I can't wait for ticketing info! It will be my birthday during my next New York trip and I think this could be a great show to book for that night

Call_me_jorge
#71WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/30/16 at 11:27am

Valentina3 said: "He co-produced If/Then with a few other people, David Stone was one of them (who's also with him on War Paint). I'm surprised that he's not one of Dear Evan Hansen producers. I was under the impression he was.

"

Didn't someone here say he was a large investor for DEH?

broadwaysfguy
#72WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/30/16 at 12:39pm

so excited for this show!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#73WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/31/16 at 4:34pm

WAR PAINT on Broadway

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#74WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/31/16 at 4:35pm

WAR PAINT on Broadway