pixeltracker

SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews- Page 3

SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#50SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:14pm

Ashford isn't right for Yvonne in any way.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."
Updated On: 10/24/16 at 11:14 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#51SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:17pm

That's fair. But it does sound like your expectations were possibly too high. This is not material you can master with one weeks rehearsal, no real director at the helm, and with one performance with an orchestra. As many others have said, this was designed as a one night benefit concert to raise money for City Center. In some ways it would've been counterproductive to add the production elements people are complaining were absent.

But I do hope Jake Gyllenhaal  returns to this part at some point and a full production. He's way too good and right for the role not to.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#52SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:20pm

Cusack was a great Yvonne. 

Ashford was a great Dot. 

This isn't a full production of the musical or a backer's audition. It's an event concert and a chance to see some unconventional and out-of-the-box casting choices.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 10/24/16 at 11:20 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#53SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:22pm

LITTLE SHOP was the surprise where we learned Jake had the chops for a musical. SUNDAY IN THE PARK is where we learned he has the chops for the best musicals. 

CindersGolightly
#54SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:24pm

100% agreed.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#55SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:25pm

Tonight was where we learned he has the vocal chops to sing one of the toughest contemporary male musical theatre roles beautifully.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#56SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:26pm

I agree that Jake needs to stop doing these concerts.

Because he needs to do a full production. 

It's really exciting to see a very talented star emerge as a musical theatre star, as well.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 10/24/16 at 11:26 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:27pm

Kad said: "I think you were expecting something that was never really promised. This was never meant to be a deeper presentation of the material. It was initially a one-night fundraiser for City Center. "

You are 100% right. This wasn't even an Encores! production. I think some people expected too much. I cannot wait until tomorrow night. 

CindersGolightly
#58SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:29pm

If this doesn't move forward to Broadway with Annaleigh and Jake, I'll be incredibly disappointed. It certainly wasn't the intention of this gala, but when you create THAT kind of magic on stage, can you resist not reviving it?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#59SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:30pm

I agree Kad.  I was frankly shocked by his vocal abilities tonight. This is not like seeing a Hugh Jackman that did musical theater before becoming a movie star. This is the discovery that there is a huge movie star they can sing af the level of a Broadway leading man. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#60SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:32pm

I already know I'm gonna get utterly reamed out for this, but here goes...

Why should I be so wildly impressed that Gyllenhaal "has the chops" for musicals? I admit, he isn't bad on stage, but I can name a dozen other actors who have spent their careers training for the stage who could give a better stage performance than Jake. I feel like we're fawning over this pretty and enormously talented screen actor who's suddenly deciding to dive into theatre, and isn't like world-changingly good.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#61SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:37pm

Because Broadway is a business, and it doesn't exist unless there are people headlining it who can sell tickets. And in this day and age, it frankly often takes a movie star to sell a Broadway show.  So those who are excited at seeing a full-blown movie star  who it turns out is musically gifted dedicate so much of their time passion and interest to the musical theater, where their contribution could elevate both the press and commercial success of the industry is indeed very exciting. 

Updated On: 10/24/16 at 11:37 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#62SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:42pm

I thought both of Jake's City Center concert musical performances were on par with pretty much any male stage star I can think of who have done the same level of rehearsal/production. And, frankly, he's got star quality that a lot of polished BFA-holding musical theatre folks simply don't.  

If a big name screen talent wants to not only lend his star power to theatre, but continue working on his skills and going into worthy productions, and is also just good at it- then that is something to be excited about. 

I don't think Gyllenhaal's musical performances were good... yknow, for a movie actor. I think he's genuinely really good. And unlike a lot of really good stage actors, he can sell out a run. 

broadwayboy223
#63SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:43pm

I won't get to see this production but it also baffles me why they didn't pick Carmen over Ashford. I love them both but Carmen is BY FAR the better actress. I'm sure Jake was brilliant in his own way but after hearing him clips of his nice voice I can think of over twelve broadway men who sing better. I wish I could have stretched the money for a ticket but there were other things I'd rather see.

mpkie
#64SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:45pm

Being unfamiliar with the material, I think this is another one of those shows I don't "get", I suppose, so I'll be the dissenting opinion on the show itself. I definitely don't get the score; while I didn't mind the sing-talky lyrics too much, the orchestration gave me a headache in the balcony.

I'm not a self ascribed Gyllenhaal fan but every time I hear Jake sing, I fall a little bit more for him. Good lord, someone give him a meaty role in an awesome Broadway musical already and let me see it, stat! I an prepared to swoon at him, just make it happen! :)

Though I was unaware of her prior to this, I was thoroughly charmed by Annaleigh's performance and can appreciate what a wonderful talent she is. Her "Children and Art" was so delicate and simply beautiful.

I found the book extremely tedious, the music to be dull, the plot weird and aimless, and I cared nothing for the characters.

Despite my criticisms of the material, the performances were great and I am quite happy to have been able to see it.

To be fair, I resolved to not see this since tickets were difficult, and I started to get antsy only after Zachary Levi and Carmen Cusack were added because I simply adore them. Their parts were way too small to satisfy me, but I will take what I can get!

Interestingly enough, lack of staging and noses stuck in books don't even bother me. Seeing concert stagings where there is actual set design or people being off book is just a pleasant surprise. They only started rehearsals last week.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#65SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:50pm

Annaleigh Ashford is a Tony award winning actress with a half a dozen Broadway credits. Carmen Cusack made a big splash last season in her Broadway debut in a flop musical. Why would there be any question which woman they would pick to play the leading role in a benefit concert?

and let's be quite clear, this concert would never have happened if Jake Gyllenhaal weren't at the head of it. There probably will also never be a Broadway revival of the show again either unless a movie star of his status wants to play the role.

If you would like to go Dreamcast the 12 Broadway chorus boys you think could sing the role of George best in your fantasy production, go ahead, but the rest of us will hang out here in Broadway real world. 

Updated On: 10/24/16 at 11:50 PM

CindersGolightly
#66SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:59pm

Guys I think I'm in love with QueenAlice.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#67SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 12:08am

Uh Oh! Some people are asking for trouble in here...BroadConc, there you did it! You went and called JG "pretty" (that's like saying your girlfriend is fat, look out)! I know what you mean, but he's more than that. If you saw or heard anything from "Little Shop" you can tell he can sing and does have a very good voice. He's talked about his passion for theater and musicals; I'm glad he's doing it. It's like seeing Daniel Radcliffe announced to do "How To Succeed In Business..." and (not knowing what an incredible triple threat he really is), being blown away after seeing his performance(s).

Some of the other comments may be honest, but if you're buying tickets to see one of the greatest works of "art" (no pun intended) in the history of not only musicals but theater, to see Zachary Levi (and "don't step on toes!" I love ZL too)...well, maybe this isn't for you. Buy the cd or read a musical history wikipedia bio, it's Sondheim! "SITPWG didn't start yesterday. (and raise your hand if you knew why there are 13 pieces in the orchestra!)

That's enough; I won't be mean anymore. I'm very much looking forward to being there on Wednesday.

btw, QA & K rock!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?
Updated On: 10/25/16 at 12:08 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#68SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 12:13am

mpkie said: "I'm not a self ascribed Gyllenhaal fan but every time I hear Jake sing, I fall a little bit more for him. Good lord, someone give him a meaty role in an awesome Broadway musical already and let me see it, stat! I an prepared to swoon at him, just make it happen!"

It's fine if the show wasn't your cup of tea, but George IS considered one of the best and meatiest male roles in all of musical theater. 

Updated On: 10/25/16 at 12:13 AM

mpkie
#69SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 1:28am

ljay889 said: "mpkie said: "I'm not a self ascribed Gyllenhaal fan but every time I hear Jake sing, I fall a little bit more for him. Good lord, someone give him a meaty role in an awesome Broadway musical already and let me see it, stat! I an prepared to swoon at him, just make it happen!"

It's fine if the show wasn't your cup of tea, but George IS considered one of the best and meatiest male roles in all of musical theater. 
"

And I think he did a fine job of it, hence why I rate his performance so highly and he was certainly the highlight. I should rephrase because Sunday is a Broadway musical, but I actually specially meant a *Broadway production*.

To the other comment, I think I knew I wasn't going to like the show too much because I already tried to listen to some official recordings and read the full synopsis, but still tired to be open minded... Sad I missed Jake in LSOH (y'all hyped Jake real good!) but Zach and Carmen's inclusion was the tipping factor. I think it being called one of the greatest works of art is what is baffling me, cuz when you hype it like that, it better meet everyone's expectations. But of course art is a matter of taste. Nothing wrong with that.

Also nothing wrong with being drawn in for different reasons. I'd never heard of Sunday (or most classic Broadway shows) before, since I didn't grow up on theater and only really started watching last year. 

P.S. Who buys CDs anymore SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#70SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 2:45am

if there was a program or cast list can someone post a shot?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

BroadwayConcierge
#71SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 7:57am

Okay, I decided to sleep on the show to see what was really irking me about it, since I've been getting so many points from others. Kad, I've kept in mind that this wasn't ever meant to be anything close to a full production. QueenAlice, I completely understand why Gyllenhaal's prospects are exciting from a commercial standpoint, even if I still don't think he's a stupendously good stage performer (and even though you crossed over into condescension, but I digress).

I think I'm just frustrated that they selected this show specifically for the scale they had in mind. I think it's a disservice to this specific text to put up a public performance of it, charge rather hefty tickets, and not have full-scale costumes, scenic work, and direction. Why didn't they pick Company? Why not Sweeney Todd? Both have meaty Sondheim roles that  could've equally given Jake the opportunity to demonstrate his skill set in, and in a stage environment that doesn't necessitate so much around him. Sunday textually requires more than a bare minimum.

I understand this was to raise money, and I continue to understand that the rehearsing intention was never to deeply explore or magnificently present the show. But I'm annoyed how much money I paid for something I don't think matched in quality. Keep telling me how wrong I am, but that's how I feel. 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#72SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 8:08am

You're wrong.

But please don't make me keep telling you. You said it once. You said it twice. you said it 11 times. We get it it: YOU PAID A LOT OF MONEY FOR A BENEFIT CONCERT AND YOU FEEL LIKE YOU DESERVE A FULLY STAGED PRODUCTION FOR WHAT YOU PAID.

Well, do us all a favor and stay away from benefits in the future. You have no sense of philanthropy, only a stingy sense of entitlement.

I find your attitude distasteful and antithetical to the spirit of the evening--not to mention the spirit of the show itself!

Updated On: 10/25/16 at 08:08 AM

BroadwayConcierge
#73SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 8:18am

Cry me a river, Joey. How wildly presumptuous of you to assume my level of philanthropy. This is far from the first benefit concert I've attended and paid well for. Charity doesn't mean my standards ought to be lowered. 

broadwayboy223
#74SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 8:27am

Not sure why everyone who loved the concert is being somewhat mean to the people who didn't. There's nothing wrong with differing opinions. Personally, Queen Alice you were being rude to me. I never said Anneleigh wasn't qualified enough or talented enough for the part. I was simply stating I would have PREFERRED Carmen. I don't think this board should be about one upping each other just to throw some petty shade. I even said in my post that I won't get to see this production. I could be super wrong about Jake being a good George. Anyway...I'm glad those of you enjoyed it really did enjoy it. For those who didn't why give them a hard time for their opinion? That's all im saying.