Amelie at the Ahmanson

BwayGeek2 Profile Photo
BwayGeek2
#75Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/16/16 at 11:31am

I was looking through the production photos earlier and I think the entire production looks like a great time! I saw the movie years ago so I don't remember much but I think I like it better that way. I'd rather enjoy this production without expecting anything or having an image already in my mind. Anyone else feel this way when movies are adapted for the stage? 

Alessio2
#76Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/16/16 at 6:28pm

I saw this last night, and the show left much to be desired unfortunately. I was really looking forward to this too....oh well. I'll start by saying by what's been said by many on this board and that's the music. The score is actually very pretty but literally every song sounds exactly the same, at least to me. The show is almost  entirely sung through, and could have really used some more book scenes to help clarify the plot and better develop the characters. There isn't a single showstopping song in the entire show. None. Zero. Not by Amelie, not by anyone. And because there isn't an intermission (why wasn't there an intermission??) this show felt much longer than it's 1 hour and 50 minute running time. The last 30 minutes of the show dragged on and on and seemed like it would never end. The mother and daughter seated next to me were so restless they thankfully left about 15 minutes befofre the show ended.

The show just never seemed to take off...it needed a giant burst of adrenaline. The whole thing just felt very low evergy. The cast was fine, with TonySheldon being the stand out! Phillipa Soo was fine, but nothing out of this world...you can literally imagine many many other actresses in the role who would do just as well if not better. Maybe that's because the material is just average.

The highlight of the evening for me was the set and lighting design which I thought was very well done. Having said that, if the thing I enjoy most at my evening at the theater are the sets and lights, then I don't consider that a very successful night of theater. Oh well, I'm fairly easy to please and wish I had enjoyed this more. I wish them success, but I can't imagine them having a long run on Broadway!

Jiaroony
#77Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/16/16 at 8:08pm

Why did Phillipa leave Hamilton for this? Personally I would take a hit show over a risk anyday

aaaaaa15
#78Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/16/16 at 8:43pm

Because staying in a show for years - no matter how big of a hit it is - means your career can't progress.

#79Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/17/16 at 2:20am

Saw this tonight and unfortunately, I didn't like it.  I really wanted to, but like many have said, I found the score to be just so bland and generic, and many of the songs all sound the same.  The book needs some work too.  I never saw the movie, so I was kind of lost on some of the plot points, but honestly, I didn't really care that much and was just waiting for it to be over.  Bland, boring, and totally forgettable.

It's a shame that the material is such a snooze, because Philippa Soo is lovely and deserves so much better than this.

No intermission, but I saw a couple get up and leave about 30 minutes into the show.

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#80Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/17/16 at 3:04am

My family is flying in to see this show tomorrow.  We are not familiar with the theater and the area.  I got an email saying that there will be performances at the Mark Taper Forum and Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, as well. I'm looking for recommendations on what time to get there, a restaurant to grab a quick dinner and where to park.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

perfectliar
#81Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/17/16 at 10:17am

emg_sound said: "But I agree with one of the earlier posts... 3-4 nominations come tony time (Philippa, due to lack of competition in the best actress category), and a run that will barely make it into the new year... Sorry investors, y'all aren't getting your money back!"

Wait, what? You think there's a lack of competition for Leading Actress? Bette Midler, Patti LuPone, Christine Ebersole, Denee Benton, Christy Altomare, Eva Noblezada...

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#82Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/17/16 at 10:18am

I use the parking garage on site, should be about ten dollars. I also love the french bistro thats out the front on Grand.

Plus this about a ten minute walk from the theatre in downtown on grand as well

https://www.bottegalouie.com

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#83Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/17/16 at 11:14am

Big Apple2 said: "My family is flying in to see this show tomorrow.  We are not familiar with the theater and the area.  I got an email saying that there will be performances at the Mark Taper Forum and Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, as well. I'm looking for recommendations on what time to get there, a restaurant to grab a quick dinner and where to park."

There are also performances at the Walt Disney Concert Hall across the street, so expect the Music Center to be very busy.  (Why CTG doesn't include Disney Hall info in their emails has always puzzled me, as that's another 2,000 bodies in the immediate area.)

Since the underground parking is a flat $9 rate, I'd get there a couple hours early and enjoy a more leisurely evening. 

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#84Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/17/16 at 1:35pm

Thanks to all the recommendations.

AlfieByrne
#85Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/17/16 at 7:10pm

MIXED from The LA Times. Positive impression overall with the show, but some critique regarding the lack of intimacy and with the cast

The musical adaptation, written by Craig Lucas (book), Daniel Messé (music) and Nathan Tysen (who co-wrote the lyrics with MesséAmelie at the Ahmanson, reinvents the movie’s frolicsome charm. The production, directed by Pam MacKinnon, opts for handcrafted effects — magic that doesn’t hide its strings. A winking spirit prevails.

[...]

Admittedly, the Ahmanson’s large stage isn’t the ideal platform for the show’s visual sprightliness. There are times when it seems like an amuse-bouche is being served on a turkey platter. I longed for more intimacy with Soo’s Amélie, who’s so busy trotting from one swirling scene to the next that she doesn’t always come into sharp enough focus.

[...]

An exquisite soprano, Soo is in looks, demeanor and voice a more natural Amélie, yet she seems to be relying at this point more on her presence than her acting. Soo’s Amélie is shy, beautiful, genial — and a little bland. The character’s individual contours aren’t fully drawn yet.

[...]

But these quibbles likely won’t keep you from getting swept up in the fun of this larky show. The music, which is nearly continuous, provides a magic carpet of orchestral strings upon which the production floats at will.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-amelie-musical-review-20161217-story.html

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#86Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 12:27pm

Finally saw this last night. The film this show was adapted from was one of the best released in 2001. It excelled because of Jeanne-Pierre Jeunet's very captivating and unique camera work and visual style along with its compelling cinematography despite its very simple story. Sadly, the show's creative team is unable to replicate that same success to this stage version. 

Bland. That's the word that has been thrown around here by a lot of people and I would agree. With its one act format, the show does not reach a crescendo nor any highs or lows.  The score and musical numbers are easily forgettable. Not a single one stands out. It is as if the one act idea is to prevent people from walking out during an intermission if it had one.  Set design is supposed to evoke being in Paris but looks utterly American. Little things such as the timing of actors writing something in the air and the words or symbols appearing in the background needs to be perfected for the effect to be magical. In a few instances, either the graphic was ahead or it was slow and trying to catch up with the actor on stage. I had no problems at all with Phillipa, Adam and Savvy (young Amelie). 

The film was magical. This stage adaptation is anything but that. Between here and Broadway, the show needs a lot of work for it to have a successful run. At its present state, its run will be muted.

ChiTheaterFan
#87Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 1:08pm

Has anyone seen it both in LA and Berkeley?  I did not care for it in Berkeley for largely the same reasons people are mentioning here. It sounds based on the comments like they didn't make changes that would make me like it more, but I'd still be interested to hear from anyone who could give a direct comparison. 

Have they included any cool effects?  I remember the magical elements being incredibly cheesy and amateur (like a fish on a stick) and I had wondered if now that the Broadway run was announced, they would amp those up a little bit as I could see potential for them to add effects to help with the magic a little. 

I feel bad for Soo getting mixed reviews. Based on what I saw in berkeley I would blame the material. There's not much anyone could do with that. 

theatreguy12
#88Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 1:30pm

ChiTheaterFan....they had the fish on the stick, yes.  And the magical component that I'm sure could be amped up a lot with the technology we have available now, is not overwhelming.  That's to be sure.

But maybe that's why I liked it.  I get sick of technology sometimes.  In fact, to digress for a moment, when I heard the Met was changing their curtain-raising capabilities to become more modern, I was oddly saddened to hear that.  Sometimes I think there is a lot to be said for simplicity.  Where a sense of provinciality is still maintained.  I like the idea of a curtain being raised in the old-fashioned way.  Crazy as that sounds.

Musicals are the same for me.  I don't have to be wowed by technology.  Even in those shows that could maybe use it.

Personally I thought Soo was lovely in the role.  And while she might be getting mixed reviews from some, I applaud her for taking a risk on new material such as this.

Maybe it comes down to an artistic choice, for better or worse. It sounds like I'm the only one who liked it on these boards, but I'm wondering why someone like Soo would involve herself with something that is such a "bore."  I mean, with her credentials, wouldn't she see that?  

If it really is such a bore.

Some people just see things differently.  Personally I can like the simplicity of a story just as much as I can enjoy the over the top grandeur of some of these other musicals that make the tech as much the star of the show as the performers themselves.  

I know some will say simplicity is fine, but if a show isn't good, it isn't good.  Simple or not.  

But again, that's personal opinion.  Who's to say what is good and what isn't.  It's all a personal journey.  I have loved shows that "flopped" on Broadway, or were at least played down by the critics.  Conversely I've disliked musicals that were hugely embraced by both audiences and critics.

Furthermore, if the music doesn't match some of the better shows I've seen that's okay too.  I can appreciate artistic effort at whatever level it's at.  It's just different. 

Maybe Soo's the same.  Getting in on the ground floor of something different.  Something personal for her.  Who knows?   Maybe she also sees something in it that others don't too.  

At any rate, good for her for taking this on.  

pupscotch
#89Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 1:34pm

What age range would you recommend for this show? I know the original movie is rated R, so I was wondering. We'd be bringing a 15 and 12 year old.

theatreguy12
#90Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 2:15pm

It's recommended for 10 and up, pup.   But as always, it depends on the kiddo.

It is a little story heavy and might be confusing/uninteresting for younger kids.  Might not engage them enough as there are no chandeliers falling, helicopters landing on the stage, or fish flying without the assist of a stick. Amelie at the Ahmanson

And as you can see a lot of adults weren't particularly engaged by it either, so it's your call.  

I enjoyed it just fine, but specifically to your question, while a ten year old might not totally connect with it, it's not inappropriate in the R-rating sense.  

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#91Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 2:18pm

pupscotch said: "What age range would you recommend for this show? I know the original movie is rated R, so I was wondering. We'd be bringing a 15 and 12 year old."

It should be appropriate for that age. It will be interesting how they like it though. There were hardly anyone at that age at last night's performance. Hopefully, they won't get bored. While my 17-year old enjoyed it, for the most part, it was very average for her too. 

theatreguy12
#92Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 2:24pm

I didn't see many kids at the performance I saw either.  If any.

ChiTheaterFan
#93Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 2:48pm

Theatreguy I don't disagree that sometimes technology is too much and I often appreciate simplicity as well. I guess here I just was nonplussed with everything else so I thought maybe technology would have at least given a cool element to the show. I'm glad for you that you liked it. It just wasn't for me 

theatreguy12
#94Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 2:58pm

Totally understood.

The way people seem to dislike it  though, would the magic of technology even help it (for those who needed more from it)?

It seems like the audience review would then be, "A lot of cool stuff happening on stage, but nothing else."

Who knows?  Hard call.  

Hope they do what they need to do to make it a go.  I really like Soo.

ChiTheaterFan
#95Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 3:02pm

Probably not. I don't know that it would've fixed the issues I had. 

I am hoping the best for them as well, particularly for Soo. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#96Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 3:29pm

Telling from reviews here, I don't know why this is coming to Broadway. I can see a short run on Broadway 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#97Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 4:20pm

A sidebar: when you mention this film, people often confuse it with "Chocolat," approximately the same vintage (2000, 2001), a not dissimilar advertising campaign. Both films were discussed for musicalization for several years.   Over Thanksgiving, a discussion about one brought up the other. Oddly enough, for some Americans anyway, the films are interchangeable.  I must admit -- reason for this post? -- I was more of a fan of "Chocolat."  Looking forward to Soo in another role, however.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

SporkGoddess
#98Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 6:06pm

I don't know if you've seen the movie, but they included the moment where Amelie tries to guess how many couples are having an orgasm (and like the movie, it shows them, although it's just the noises and it's not graphic).  I just wanted to include that information if you're deciding on whether or not it's age appropriate.  I know that moment in the film made me very uncomfortable when I was watching it with my mom, haha.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#99Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/18/16 at 8:07pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "Has anyone seen it both in LA and Berkeley?  I did not care for it in Berkeley for largely the same reasons people are mentioning here. It sounds based on the comments like they didn't make changes that would make me like it more, but I'd still be interested to hear from anyone who could give a direct comparison."

The SFO Chronicle gave the Berkeley show a rave and its highest rating (little man jumping out of his seat and applauding wildly). It was one of the reasons why we bought tickets. It turned out to be a disappointment and now I'm wondering what that reviewer was raving about. If you didn't like it then, I don't know how much you're going to like it now.