La La Land

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#225La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 12:28am

Congrats to LA LA Land. Tomorrow the backlash begins.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#226La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 12:32am

Doesn't seem like Lin will get his Egot this year.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

bear88
#227La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 12:48am

Queen Alice: Tomorrow the backlash begins.

There's been some backlash on this thread. We're starting early.

But if there's one thing I know, it won't matter. La La Land is an unstoppable machine. It's a love letter to Hollywood and the movies and creative artists. I might see Moonlight later the month and think it's the better film (haven't seen it yet), but Academy voters work in the film industry. Dissenters can grumble, but it will not matter.

Films that I've liked a lot less have won the Oscar because they're love letters to Hollywood. The Artist? Does anyone even remember that movie now? (I'm still annoyed that Boyhood didn't win over Birdman, but I'll get over it eventually.) I think La La Land will have more staying power, but maybe that's because I just saw it and was pleasantly surprised. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#228La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:01am

I agree that LA LA LAND is likely unstoppable when it comes to winning Best Picture, especially on a weighted ballot, I can't see how it would lose given the competition this year, but in the same breath, I think its never a good idea to go into the Oscars being a steamrolling front runner. People rather like voting for underdogs. I would be surprised if LA LA LAND is able to win all the awards it won tonight at the Oscars. 

bear88
#229La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:14am

My offhand reaction is that it wins every category it won tonight, except for Best Actor (Casey Affleck was in drama, while Gosling was in musical/comedy) and Best Screenplay (because the screenplay isn't that great). I assume it wins Best Picture, Best Director, Score, Song (unless the two La La Land songs are nominated and split the vote), Best Actress. 

And then it will win some Oscar technical stuff and cinematography, most likely. La La Land will win a lot of awards.

aaaaaa15
#230La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 5:24am

I found the huge roar of approval and standing ovation for Moonlight's win (neither of which La La Land got) very interesting. Still predicting La La Land to win but that passion combined with the backlash that is starting very early for a movie here could have an effect.

Also it really didn't deserve that screenplay award. At all.

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 05:24 AM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#231La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 3:14pm

I adored the movie but even I admit that the screenplay award was a bit of an eye roller. I had not seen the other nominees but I'm sure one of them had a better screenplay as La La Land's script was far from what makes it compelling. 

I definitely think the sweep last night was only made possible by the Golden Globes' separation of drama and musical/comedy. Surely it won't stand as strongly against the dramas at the Oscars (though technical and music awards it is a shoo in for and maybe director again).

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#232La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:47pm

aaaaaa15 said: "I found the huge roar of approval and standing ovation for Moonlight's win (neither of which La La Land got) very interesting. "

Or it could be because it was Moonlight's only win of the night and it was beginning to look like it would leave empty-handed, whereas La La Land had already taken 6 awards.  Just sayin'.

aaaaaa15
#233La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 5:05pm

Your comment doesn't make sense. 'Or it could be because...' I didn't give a reason why it happened. I just said it happened and it's interesting. Kind of echoes the reaction many people were having online. Oh another win for La La Land. And then finally they award Moonlight. I do think the Globes awarding La La Land so much (especially in that screenplay category) is gonna do it more harm than good when it comes to how much people will want to vote for it at the Oscars. It will still clearly do well either way though.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#234La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 7:17pm

The screenplay will not win the Oscar. The voting members of the WGA are unlikely to choose it over either of the far more obvious writing choices ("Moonlight" or "Manchester"La La Land.  But certainly it will pick up cinematography and other tech awards to compensate. I still believe -- fan that I am of Afleck's heartbreaking work -- that Denzel could pull an upset for Best Actor. Keep your eyes on SAG awards.  But even there, Viola Davis beat Streep, only to have Streep take the Oscar.  This year, nothing is in stone, Emma or otherwise.   

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#235La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 8:18pm

Regardless of my personal opinions, Portman's loss in best actress seems to leave the Oscar wide open for Stone.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 1/9/17 at 08:18 PM

aaaaaa15
#236La La Land
Posted: 1/9/17 at 8:23pm

Although Portman did win Critics Choice over Stone. I personally think that category is still wide open. I could even see an Isabelle Huppert win.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#237La La Land
Posted: 1/10/17 at 9:38am

It would seem that for musical composers, things shift in a "Year of..." pattern. 2016 was the "year of" Lin-Manuel Miranda, and now 2017 could shape up to be the "year of" Pasek and Paul, with their involvement in LA LA LAND and Evan Hansen doing so well...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

aaaaaa15
#238La La Land
Posted: 1/10/17 at 9:44am

In terms of awards recognition absolutely, but I can't see a world in which they become the media darlings and nation's sweetheart like Lin managed to do.

Oddly enough my favorite Pasek and Paul project is still Dogfight. Although I'm gonna give La La Land a chance to do more for me when I see it for the second time this week, as I last saw it all the way back in October. Definitely isn't Hansen though.

Updated On: 1/10/17 at 09:44 AM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#239La La Land
Posted: 1/10/17 at 11:35am

Auggie27 said: "The screenplay will not win the Oscar. The voting members of the WGA are unlikely to choose it over either of the far more obvious writing choices ("Moonlight" or "Manchester"La La Land.  But certainly it will pick up cinematography and other tech awards to compensate. I still believe -- fan that I am of Afleck's heartbreaking work -- that Denzel could pull an upset for Best Actor. Keep your eyes on SAG awards.  But even there, Viola Davis beat Streep, only to have Streep take the Oscar.  This year, nothing is in stone, Emma or otherwise.   

Moonlight and Manchester will be in different categories (adapted and original, respectively), so they'll probably both win. But you're right, I don't really see La La Land beating Manchester in this category, though stranger things have happened (and Best Original Screenplay does often go to strange choices).

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#240La La Land
Posted: 1/10/17 at 11:46am

If LA LA LAND steamrolls it could take everything, including screenplay. I think the only major Globe win that is highly unlikely to repeat is Best Actor.

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#241La La Land
Posted: 1/10/17 at 2:30pm

BAFTA Awards: La La Land leads with 11 Nominations

Arrival and Nocturnal Animals follow with 9 each; Manchester By the Sea with 6.

Wilmingtom
#242La La Land
Posted: 1/10/17 at 3:20pm

In times of socio-political and economic turmoil, escapist entertainment prevails.  The Depression-era movie musicals, and those made during WWI and in the post-war euphoria, provided a welcome salve to our angst.  So it is with La La Land and Best Picture.  Screenplay should go to Lonergan while Jenkins and McCraney should walk with adapted for Moonlight.  But I think the national mood right now is more engaged with dancing on air.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#243La La Land
Posted: 1/11/17 at 3:35pm

I don't think La La Land is TOTAL escapism. A good portion, yes, but it still hit really close to home for me in my real life. Maybe it's all just in the timing.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#244La La Land
Posted: 1/18/17 at 8:33am

Well, I saw it yesterday and: Meh. It wasn't great, but not horrible either. The direction and choreography are amazing, especially the beginning and end. Emma and Ryan do a good job here, but they aren't award-winning. The opening song was okay, "Someone in the Crowd" was pointless, and the rest of the songs were lovely. Another problem is that in the first two songs, it seemed like the sound mixers made the volume low because it felt quiet. Also, the singers sounded exactly the same throughout the songs. The movie just felt empty and that something was missing. The script felt like it was a rough draft. Overall, overhyped and overrated. 

Updated On: 1/18/17 at 08:33 AM

Liza's Headband
#245La La Land
Posted: 1/18/17 at 10:39am

thankfully, your opinion is the minority

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#246La La Land
Posted: 1/18/17 at 10:49am

^Is that good or bad to you?

ArtMan
#247La La Land
Posted: 1/18/17 at 10:55am

I just thought it was okay.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.  For me, it was mildly entertaining.  What worked for me the most was the charm of the two leads, especially Emma.  I liked a couple of songs, but found the majority to be bland.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#248La La Land
Posted: 1/18/17 at 12:53pm

I will say this much, disneybroadwayfan22- if that "Someone in the Crowd" is a pointless song in a musical factors, you're covering your bases for a whole lot of shows with pointless numbers!

I'm teasing, of course.

I'm admiring the music more and more as I continue to listen to it. Sure, there are some weak lyrics, but I just love that piano riff! Someday, I hope to write a catchy score like this...only better! Lol

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#249La La Land
Posted: 1/18/17 at 2:40pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Emma and Ryan do a good job here, but they aren't award-winning. The opening song was okay, "Someone in the Crowd" was pointless, and the rest of the songs were lovely."

they actually are award-winning in that they've both won awards for this film including golden globes just last week. someone in the crowd is also not pointless in that it's actually foreshadowing as one of the key moments later in the film is because 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

that lady at her one woman show saw her and loved her and plucked her from obscurity to become a big famous movie star.

also if you think that opening is just "okay"... i'd like to know what you think of as a good opening.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."