La La Land

broadwayboy223
#275La La Land
Posted: 1/28/17 at 2:50am

Interesting. I wasn't a fan of all of the music. It was pretty eh. There were some standouts though. I almost wish if were possible to have more Emma in the movie. She's simply genuine and captivating. I know she's not fond of doing musicals but if they ever remake the Cabaret movie she should reprise Sally. The videos I've seen of her are thrilling. 

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#276La La Land
Posted: 1/30/17 at 11:39am

Emma Stone has now taken the SAG and the Golden Globe- would you say she's a lock for the Oscar now? (As an aside, I can't get the "what if" montage out of my head...it was an overall emotional weekend, let's put it that way.)

Off-topic, but I thought Best Actor was Casey Affleck's to lose, but now Denzel pulled off a Fences upset at the SAGs.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#277La La Land
Posted: 1/30/17 at 9:29pm

hork said: "
I'm usually in agreement with you about movie musicals, so I'm surprised you were so taken with this one, since I don't think Chazelle understands the art of musical filmmaking at all. He definitely doesn't understand the importance of filmic editing, judging by his choice to not use any during most of the musical numbers. The opening number is especially misguided, I feel, since everything that's "impressive" about it occurs behind the camera rather than in front of it. Sorry, I'm still not over how sloppy and ham-handed this movie turned out to be, in my opinion. "

I think the essence of musical filmmaking is understanding that it is about sung thoughts. So creating a scene that is not literal. Embracing the fantasy of this artform, which, if done right, results in raw emotion for the audience. There are various things that support that given. Pre-recorded tracks, in combination with smart editing, or smart camera work, slow motion, sung words as a voice over, etc really support this. Examples of fantastic editing are "Someone in the crowd" and the whole montage at the end, as well as the dream sequences. Scenes with less editing but still very interesting camera work are "Another day of sun" and "lovely night dance", but the dancing and the moving camera's take over a lot from the editing there. All these different approaches combined, playing with the fantasy throughout the film is wonderful in my opinion.

Updated On: 1/31/17 at 09:29 PM

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#278La La Land
Posted: 1/31/17 at 4:04am

hork said: "...I don't think Chazelle understands the art of musical filmmaking at all. He definitely doesn't understand the importance of filmic editing, judging by his choice to not use any during most of the musical numbers."

That must be the reason why La La Land got a nomination for Best Film Editing from the Academy, and just won the American Cinema Editors EDDIE Award for best feature editing.

Maybe the person who doesn't understand the importance of film editing is you.

Updated On: 1/31/17 at 04:04 AM

Liza's Headband
#279La La Land
Posted: 1/31/17 at 9:30am

^ This.

10086sunset
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#281La La Land
Posted: 1/31/17 at 10:00am

Ironically, this new Watson-Teller debacle is perfectly in line with the "what if" themes so centric to La La Land...

hork Profile Photo
hork
#282La La Land
Posted: 1/31/17 at 11:20am

PepperedShepherd said: "hork said: "...I don't think Chazelle understands the art of musical filmmaking at all. He definitely doesn't understand the importance of filmic editing, judging by his choice to not use any during most of the musical numbers."

That must be the reason why La La Land got a nomination for Best Film Editing from the Academy, and just won the American Cinema Editors EDDIE Award for best feature editing.

Maybe the person who doesn't understand the importance of film editing is you.

I wasn't knocking the job that the editor(s) did, just the editing (or lack thereof) that Chazelle chose for the musical numbers. But funny that you responded to me, considering you blocked me.

Updated On: 1/31/17 at 11:20 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#283La La Land
Posted: 1/31/17 at 11:29am

would you say she's a lock for the Oscar now?

I would say there is no such thing as a "lock" for the Oscar or any other award unless there is literally only one nominee in the category.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#284La La Land
Posted: 2/1/17 at 4:17pm

La La Land will be returning to IMAX screens this Friday, February 3, for one week only.  

Looks like it will be on a lot more screens, too, so you might want to check even if your local IMAX didn't show it last time.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#285La La Land
Posted: 2/10/17 at 4:54pm

Am I the only one that finds it a bit strange that John Legend is singing both nominated songs at the Oscars, neither of which his character sang in the film? I wonder why they couldn't get Gosling or Stone involved for at least one of the two.

ArtMan
#286La La Land
Posted: 2/10/17 at 5:07pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Am I the only one that finds it a bit strange that John Legend is singing both nominated songs at the Oscars, neither of which his character sang in the film? I wonder why they couldn't get Gosling or Stone involved for at least one of the two.

"

Fear?  That's a tough room.  Look how nervous and shaky Madonna was when she sang Sooner or Later from Dick Tracy.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#287La La Land
Posted: 2/10/17 at 5:19pm

ArtMan said: "Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Am I the only one that finds it a bit strange that John Legend is singing both nominated songs at the Oscars, neither of which his character sang in the film? I wonder why they couldn't get Gosling or Stone involved for at least one of the two."

Fear?  That's a tough room.  Look how nervous and shaky Madonna was when she sang Sooner or Later from Dick Tracy.
"

Exactly. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are serviceable "singers," but neither is a seasoned musician. They could easily bomb, and that would be terrible for the movie. John Legend is a trained and experienced performer who can pull it off comfortably and represent the movie positively. Not worth the risk.

AnnTheatre
#288La La Land
Posted: 2/20/17 at 12:12pm

I just saw the movie. I thought it was extremely mediocre to be nominated for 14 Oscars!! The story is so repetitive, “What if: will go in line with many “twilight zone” episodes and Asimov’s theory, that if we change one little thing in the past, the whole future will be different. The dancing was really bad!! No comparison to “Artist” movie or older Fred Aster movies. The  characters reached their dream career wise, but  had to give up their love  as a price. Very repetitive in content.  So disappointed with   my expectations, so surprised with so many Oscar Nominations!

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#289La La Land
Posted: 2/20/17 at 2:01pm

thank you for your repetitive thoughts that have been expressed here many times before.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Liza's Headband
#290La La Land
Posted: 2/20/17 at 7:19pm

AnnTheatre said: "I just saw the movie. I thought it was extremely mediocre to be nominated for 14 Oscars!! The story is so repetitive, “What if: will go in line with many “twilight zone” episodes and Asimov’s theory, that if we change one little thing in the past, the whole future will be different. The dancing was really bad!! No comparison to “Artist” movie or older Fred Aster movies. The  characters reached their dream career wise, but  had to give up their love  as a price. Very repetitive in content.  So disappointed with   my expectations, so surprised with so many Oscar Nominations!

"

Glad you joined to share these very original thoughts. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#291La La Land
Posted: 2/20/17 at 7:43pm

Are y'all on the payroll for this movie or something? 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Sunny11
#292La La Land
Posted: 2/20/17 at 7:47pm

JudyDenmark said: "ArtMan said: "Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Am I the only one that finds it a bit strange that John Legend is singing both nominated songs at the Oscars, neither of which his character sang in the film? I wonder why they couldn't get Gosling or Stone involved for at least one of the two."

"

Exactly. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are serviceable "singers," but neither is a seasoned musician. They could easily bomb, and that would be terrible for the movie. John Legend is a trained and experienced performer who can pull it off comfortably and represent the movie positively. Not worth the risk.

"

Ryan Gosling was in the Micky Mouse Club though, he had to sing and dance live  in front of a studio audience on a regular basis as a child. And Emma Stone was performing on Broadway only a couple of years ago.  With the right coaching performing on the Oscars should be manageable for both of them. 

ArtMan
#293La La Land
Posted: 2/20/17 at 7:57pm

Nah, not even close.  Singing in front of strangers at a Broadway show and a tiny studio audience of mostly kids is nothing compared to singing  live in front of a room of their peers and the huge television audience the Oscars draw.  I'm not saying they couldn't do it.  They just wouldn't do it.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#294La La Land
Posted: 2/20/17 at 8:08pm

"No comparison to “Artist” movie or older Fred Aster movies."

firstly, the name is Astaire. 

secondly, I would not expect a performer who has not had extensive training in dance to attain the level of an Astaire or a Kelly.( or a Hayworth and my own beloved Eleanor Powell)   They had been training and performing for decades before they started their film careers . 

As someone w some little knowledge of dance, Gosling & Stone acquitted  themselves very well.  Remember, their characters are supposed to be an actor & a musician- ordinary(ish) people.

The Artist was a fine film but it was a paean to  SILENT films. This is about Musical pictures.

Liza's Headband
#295La La Land
Posted: 2/20/17 at 8:41pm

wonderfulwizard11 said: "Are y'all on the payroll for this movie or something? 

"

That would be nice! I'd probably be a millionaire since the movie has killed it at the box office and is dominating awards season. But alas, I'm not. So back to my one-window shed I go.  La La Land 

bear88
#296La La Land
Posted: 2/21/17 at 6:27pm

I agree with JudyDenmark. It's not surprising at all that Gosling and Stone are passing on the high pressure of singing live at the Oscars. I think Gosling could get through "City of Stars," which doesn't require a great voice, but Legend is obviously the better singer who can perform live in front of a huge audience. "Audition" will be odder, because it is Mia's big number, but it's also the most challenging solo song in the film. That one could be a disaster if Stone tried to do it live. 

Gosling and Stone will take a few hits for not singing, as will the film, but can you imagine the brutality of the reviews if either or both bombed? Everyone knows those two are movie stars, not live singers.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#297La La Land
Posted: 2/22/17 at 4:15pm

I still would prefer a female singer to do "Fools Who Dream." There's no shortage of big names who could have knocked it outta the Kodak.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#298La La Land
Posted: 2/22/17 at 8:28pm

I suspect there will be a fair amount of background dancing while he is singing. ( a la LA LA LAnd and yes I'v been waiting to do that!cheeky

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#299La La Land
Posted: 2/24/17 at 3:47pm

for those waiting to buy the soundtrack til an actually complete version was released...it came out today!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."