pixeltracker

Help Choosing Final Two Shows (Groundhog Day or Anastasia)

Help Choosing Final Two Shows (Groundhog Day or Anastasia)

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#1Help Choosing Final Two Shows (Groundhog Day or Anastasia)
Posted: 1/2/17 at 4:26pm

Yes, another one of these threads! 

I'm going to NYC at the end of March and am seeing 7 shows. I already have tickets for Dear Evan Hansen, Hamilton, Sunday in the Park, Dolly, and Great Comet.

I have Wednesday and Saturday matinees left to fill. 

For Wednesday, I was leaning towards War Paint, but also cautiously waiting for Sunset reviews. 

Saturday is the hardest because ideally, I'd be interested in seeing both Anastasia and Groundhog Day, but they only have a Saturday matinee that week. Mainly wondering about this one because the Anastasia performance is almost sold out, so I'd have to decide soon, while Groundhog Day is still pretty open.

I'm also open to any other suggestions! Mainly wanting to see shows from this season. My favorite shows are Hamilton and Fun Home, but also like classics such as King and I, Gypsy etc. if that helps at all. Thanks for any help! 

Updated On: 1/2/17 at 04:26 PM

Clyde15
#2Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/2/17 at 4:36pm

I highly recommend Come From Away. If you love Fun Home then I strongly believe you will like this show. It has a killer cast and amazing reviews. The music sticks with you for weeks afterwards and has the same emotional impact as fun home did. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#3Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/2/17 at 4:43pm

Clyde15 said: "I highly recommend Come From Away. If you love Fun Home then I strongly believe you will like this show. It has a killer cast and amazing reviews. The music sticks with you for weeks afterwards and has the same emotional impact as fun home did. "

I'd second this. If you can score tickets for it, Barrow Street's Sweeney Todd is another highly anticipated show around this time. Miss Saigon revival will also be open at the time of your trip since you like classics. I'd personally keep Come From Away above both War Paint and Groundhog Day. War Paint in Chicago was seriously lacking; I haven't seen GDay but the actual story itself is not as engaging and satisfying as Come From Away which is simply superb.

Sorry if I confused you further.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Willie4316
#4Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/2/17 at 4:45pm

My advice is first for Sautrday, grab the Anastasia tickets while you have the chance. Better to be safe than sorry. Whether you would prefer that or Groundhog Day, not quite sure how to help you. Both productions received good reviews in Hartford/London. I'd say it depends on what the reason is for seeing either one and see which reason appeals to you more, if that makes sense. 

For Wednesday, it's a toss up until we get the reviews. If I remember correctly War Paint got rave reviews in Chicago and broke the box office record. Sunset could be hit or miss. 

LesWickedly
#5Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/2/17 at 5:34pm

I was thinking of Come From Away, but still not sure. I'm 99% sure that I'm going to save the Wed. matinee for Rush, TKTS etc. to save a little money. I'd love to hear more from people who have seen Groundhog Day or Anastasia, as that is my main dilemma. I'll add it to the main title, to bring more people in.

Scott19
#6Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/2/17 at 5:48pm

I agree with the previous posters. Come From Away is a very special show. I would definitely recommend it.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#7Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/2/17 at 5:57pm

I saw both Groundhog Day and Anastasia in their respective tryout productions. Personally, I enjoyed Groundhog day more than Anastasia, but that's partly because Groundhog day wasn't aiming to be much more than it was. It's hard for me to objectively compare them; I had much higher expectations for Anastasia, which the show just didn't live up to. Groundhog Day, on the other hand was simple, light-hearted entertainment. I'm a big fan of both movies, so I felt invested in both shows as adaptations. Groundhog Day didn't make many changes from the movie, and it worked pretty consistently well. Anastasia, on the other hand, made many changes, some of which worked very well, and some fell very flat. Still, even though Anastasia disappointed me, I think has more potential to leave a stronger impression on the audience. It's a tough call though.

LesWickedly
#8Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/2/17 at 6:00pm

Thought it would be hard to find someone who saw both! Thanks for that little comparison. I'm a fan of the Groundhog Day movie and to this day still have never seen Anastasia. Wonder if that would make my experience better or worse. As you may tell from my list, I like shows that are a little more than just fun. Would both of these shows fall under family friendly, which is fine, but a little different from my other picks?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#9Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/2/17 at 6:12pm

Glad I could help!

As you may remember from the movie, Groundhog day has some sexual stuff, but nothing too vulgar or graphic. I can't remember how much foul language there is, as I don't really notice it anymore. Anastasia is probably more PG in terms of content, though they make an effort to be more sophisticated than the animated movie was. I think I might have liked Anastasia more if I hadn't seen the movie, but that totally varies from person to person and from show to show. 

aaaaaa15
#10Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/2/17 at 6:22pm

As someone that shares your tastes (love Hamilton and Fun Home), I was underwhelmed by Groundhog Day. I'd go for Anastasia.

neonlightsxo
#11Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/3/17 at 9:55am

Gotta agree with aaaaaa15. I've seen both GHD and Anastasia, and Anastasia is worlds better, IMO.

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#12Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/4/17 at 2:28am

I agree with the previous posters who thought you should grab the Anastasia tix.  I bought tix for that based on word of mouth of friends who saw and loved it in CT.

LesWickedly
#13Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/4/17 at 2:53am

Ok, definitely leaning towards Anastasia. How's Row G of the left orchestra and how's the legroom? Thanks. 

Cfried
#14Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/4/17 at 6:47am

Yes, definitely go for ANASTASIA!

rjm516
#15Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/4/17 at 7:13am

I saw Groundhog in London, and it was a very good production of a decent show. The score is mostly boring. However, I would pay full price to see it again just because of Andy Karl's incredible performance. 

massofmen
#16Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/4/17 at 11:19am

i have a bad feeling groundhog day is not long for Broadway. 

There is just way too much competition  this year and with it having little to no chance of winning the tony (DEH seems to have it in the bag along with Comet) i just don't see people racing to pay 100.00 to see a movie that is barely a hit on the general publics radar. 
Also like you i saw it in London and thought "eh". 

neonlightsxo
#17Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/4/17 at 11:26am

Like many of these recent transfers, GHD is moving on the basis of Brantley's review, which is a bad idea, IMO. We'll see.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#18Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/4/17 at 12:47pm

I hate to hijack this thread, but would you rather choose Groundhog's Day or Miss Saigon? I'm trying to fill the Monday slot during my trip and those are the two options for me. 

nonstopmachine
#19Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/4/17 at 1:40pm

I saw Groundhog's Day in London,the score are weak,i can't remember any song after the show,But i do like the book and the atmosphere.Andy Karl's performance was GREAT too!!! Would like to see it again.

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#20Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/4/17 at 1:57pm

I'd pick Miss Saigon over Groundhog Day...

neonlightsxo
#21Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/4/17 at 3:31pm

As would I.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#22Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 1/5/17 at 9:23am

TheSassySam said: "I hate to hijack this thread, but would you rather choose Groundhog's Day or Miss Saigon? I'm trying to fill the Monday slot during my trip and those are the two options for me. 

"

Haven't seen Groundhog Day, but saw Miss Saigon in London. Great production.  Not to be missed.  

Not to be confused with Dave19.

KConradG
#23Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 3/15/17 at 4:48am

LesWickedly said: "I'm going to NYC at the end of March and am seeing 7 shows. I already have tickets for Dear Evan Hansen, Hamilton, Sunday in the Park, Dolly, and Great Comet.

I have Wednesday and Saturday matinees left to fill.
"

I found this thread by googling Anastasia or Groundhog Day. I too am going at the end of March and seeing the same shows minus Dolly. I have tickets for Groundhog Day for Sat night 4/1, but I'm thinking Anastasia would be a better use of my trip. Doing a quick ticket search shows cheapest seat is $350 so nevermind. I have Wed matinee open, and it looks like Come from Away is the best option there.

neonlightsxo
#24Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 3/15/17 at 10:09am

The cheapest seat for what is $350?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#25Help Choosing Final Two Shows
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:40am

You can't miss Sunset BLVD

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Videos