pixeltracker

Meryl Streep's speech last night- Page 4

Meryl Streep's speech last night

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#75Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:14pm

"The argument that Trump voters flocked to a TV star as a counterreaction to Hollywood values is an unsupported and barely disguised attempt to try to muzzle opposition by suggesting that anything anyone in entertainment says or does about Trump will only make things worse. There’s no basis to believe that, or to trust the motives of those who articulate it as a self-reinforcing principle that insists the very act of using a public platform to speak against Trump proves that you’re out of touch with the people to whom you’re speaking."

Hollywood’s Protests Might Seem Ineffective —But They’re Actually Getting to Trump

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#76Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:18pm

The worst thing that can is happen is for Trump to be normalized.  Anything that antagonizes him and gets him to show his true colors should be encouraged.  Streep's speech has been a success on many levels.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#77Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:24pm

Kad said: ""The argument that Trump voters flocked to a TV star as a counterreaction to Hollywood values is an unsupported and barely disguised attempt to try to muzzle opposition by suggesting that anything anyone in entertainment says or does about Trump will only make things worse. There’s no basis to believe that, or to trust the motives of those who articulate it as a self-reinforcing principle that insists the very act of using a public platform to speak against Trump proves that you’re out of touch with the people to whom you’re speaking."

Hollywood’s Protests Might Seem Ineffective —But They’re Actually Getting to Trump

"This Paragraph in your article says it all 

This unofficial boycott — never announced, but fully enacted — is the fitting endpoint to a campaign year in which Hollywood has had to come to grips with the fact that its freeze-out of Donald Trump has been at once completely successful and utterly ineffective. Clinton had virtually the whole entertainment industry except for Susan Sarandon: SuperPACs, the ads, the music business, Jeffrey Katzenberg, TV stars, Cher, The Avengers, Shondaland … and it all added up to nothing but a reaffirmation of the respective positions held by the two Americas. Those who oppose Trump can take vague comfort in the pathetically small victory that the inauguration is likely to be lousy TV, devoid of anything like the stirring moment when Aretha Franklin sent “My Country 'Tis of Thee” aloft over the Mall on a freezing day in 2009. And, on the other hand, many of Trump’s supporters, for whom “Hollyweird” is just another swamp they’d like to see drained, view a stiff-arm from the entertainment community as just another sign that their guy must be doing something right.

When They Go Low, I Go High
Updated On: 1/9/17 at 04:24 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#78Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:48pm

Petralicious - "But  I just hate hypocrites and I believe she is one. "

Streep? and how is she a hypocrite?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#79Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:49pm

It's clear that Streep's speech has set off Trump and his acolytes, some of whom are here on this board.  Thanks.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#80Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:51pm

I believe Petrlicous is a Trump supporter, no matter what she says.

Petralicious
#81Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:52pm

There have been plenty of things that pains us all the last few years but she has been quiet.  Like Gitmo, or Drones killing Children, Refugees or Murder Rate in Chicago, or the UN vote on Israel. 

Also, if she was really so concerned about the disabled, she wouldve said something about that poor disabled boy who was kidnapped and tortured and made to drink from toilet LIVE dont you think? It just happened a week ago and has probably been the biggest story news wise. But not a peep. Which makes it all sound about politics not about the disabled. 

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 04:52 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#82Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:59pm

My goodness, I've been called some nasty things in here! I've done nothing but try to engage in reasoned debate and dialogue—and nevertheless, because I hold views that don't hold Trump in an utterly demonizing light, I'm apparently "pathetic," "petulant," "abhorrent," a "moron," and an "idiot," among others. I don't prefer to engage with name callers, so I'm gonna pass on responding to this thread. If I've raised anything you'd like to query me on, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, see you on the main board.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#83Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 5:05pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "My goodness, I've been called some nasty things in here! I've done nothing but try to engage in reasoned debate and dialogue—and nevertheless, because I hold views that don't hold Trump in an utterly demonizing light, I'm apparently "pathetic," "petulant," "abhorrent," a "moron," and an "idiot," among others. I don't prefer to engage with name callers, so I'm gonna pass on responding to this thread. If I've raised anything you'd like to query me on, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, see you on the main board.

"

THANK YOU, SWEET JESUS. NOW STICK TO THIS. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#84Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 5:09pm

Petralicous said "There have been plenty of things that pains us all the last few years but she has been quiet.  Like Gitmo, or Drones killing Children, Refugees or Murder Rate in Chicago, or the UN vote on Israel. 

Also, if she was really so concerned about the disabled, she wouldve said something about that poor disabled boy who was kidnapped and tortured and made to drink from toilet LIVE dont you think? It just happened a week ago and has probably been the biggest story news wise. But not a peep. Which makes it all sound about politics not about the disabled"

What? Seriously?

I'm not even going to start with how ridiculous your post is, but you got one thing right - It is all about politics. She never purported to be this country's spokeswoman on the disabled. Try to grasp this- she mentioned the disabled because of Trump mocking someone who cannot help himself. Doing so is indicative of a childish and cruel mind. You and his other supporters can't see that, or you do see it, and that's what you want.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#85Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 5:20pm

Jane, the troll is just parroting KellyAnne Conway on FoxNews. It has no actual opinions of its own.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#86Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 5:28pm

I've done nothing but try to engage in reasoned debate and dialogue...

Your argument is flawed from the start.

and nevertheless, because I hold views that don't hold Trump in an utterly demonizing light

And descends into delusional exaggeration assuming the thoughts of others in order to twist their motivations so you can force them with Herculean might into your custom-made too-tight ill-fitting Vera the Victim denim-ette rayon jeggings so you can show them off in public.  Keep it up, Vera!  Keep it up!

There have been plenty of things that pains us all the last few years but she has been quiet.  Like Gitmo, or Drones killing Children, Refugees or Murder Rate in Chicago, or the UN vote on Israel. 

Also, if she was really so concerned about the disabled, she wouldve said something about that poor disabled boy who was kidnapped and tortured and made to drink from toilet LIVE dont you think? It just happened a week ago and has probably been the biggest story news wise. But not a peep.

So, you didn't actually listen to or read her speech.  Apparently, you believe the subject and point of the speech are something entirely different than what she says.

Which makes it all sound about politics not about the disabled

YA THINK?  GAWD.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#87Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 5:29pm

Thanks Jay. There's definitely something askew there!

Petralicious
#88Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 5:45pm

Nevermind the politics to me. I just want to be entertained. I want escape. Not a lecture. Thats me. You may feel different. That is fine. I doubt many people are turned on the opinions in award show babble.

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 05:45 PM

BeadleDeedle Profile Photo
BeadleDeedle
#89Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 5:59pm

Go??Away??Troll??

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#90Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 6:18pm

I doubt many people are turned on the opinions in award show babble.

Again...not the point.  Stick to Melabia and the red carpet.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#91Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 7:08pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I mean, sure, I guess. But Trump hasn't even entered office yet. Moreover, I think it's safe to say that the narrative of Hollywood liberal elitism played at least somewhat of a role in frustrating swaths of the electorate to the point of Hillary losing votes. So why keep doing it instead of just doing your job sans political commentary?"

Last time I checked this was in Ms Steep's free time and was a public platform in a free country where she chose an issue that was important to her and spoke from the heart. By your own rhetoric why don't you just do "your job" and outside of that shut up and keep your own opinions to yourself?

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#92Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 8:23pm

I liked Meryl's speech. It was nice and I thought wasn't too nasty towards Trump. 

I think it's hilarious when people don't think celebrities should speak their minds,  but Trump is essentially a celebrity. Why was and should he be taken seriously as a politician when he has no experience?  

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#93Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 10:24pm

If 157 major awards makes Meryl Streep "highly overrated" as an actress, what does 6 bankruptcies make Donald Trump as a businessman?

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 10:24 PM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#94Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 10:38pm

It makes him a winner because the average American is not going to earn or be nominated for the elite awards Meryl gets nominated for. Now, bankruptcy is very possible and plausible,  so it gives people something to relate to Trump over. Duh. Meryl Streep's speech last night

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#95Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 10:45pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "My goodness, I've been called some nasty things in here! I've done nothing but try to engage in reasoned debate and dialogue—and nevertheless, because I hold views that don't hold Trump in an utterly demonizing light, I'm apparently "pathetic," "petulant," "abhorrent," a "moron," and an "idiot," among others. I don't prefer to engage with name callers, so I'm gonna pass on responding to this thread. If I've raised anything you'd like to query me on, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, see you on the main board.

You've done nothing of the sort.  Whenever someone asks you a very specific question, you refuse to answer it, nor will you defend your "beliefs."  You simply declare, "I don't have to answer to you or anyone else." But I suppose you'll never see this since you aren't reading this thread. 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#96Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 11:01pm

4 pages and not a single comment about her being ignorant and thinking that she and Hollywood is better than the UFC. 

"Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners and if we kick them all out you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts which is not the arts "

The hysterical thing is mixed martial arts is more diverse than Hollywood ever has or will be. The current champions represent many different races and foreign nationalities and the women even headline several ppvs.  

Browsing her imdb she had done many movies that are absolutely pointless and add nothing to society but good on her for thinking she's better than athletes. What a joke.  

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 11:01 PM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#97Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 11:13pm

That is because she is referring to "The Arts" as in the creative expression film, tv, stage, literature, music, etc. Mixed Martial Arts & Football are not "The Arts". It was a joke.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#98Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 11:19pm

TheatreFan4 said: "That is because she is referring to "The Arts" as in the creative expression film, tv, stage, literature, music, etc. Mixed Martial Arts & Football are not "The Arts". It was a joke.

"

Yes cause one can't like the arts and sports because sports are beneath them. Her joke was garbage. It's one of the most cliche jokes and things said. 

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#99Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 11:30pm

Somehow... I'm pretty sure quite a few people in that room laughing also watch sports. It ain't that serious... Hard to believe, I know.

Videos