pixeltracker

SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility- Page 2

SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:35am

dianamorales said: "What the chance that they'll perform at the Tonys?? Wicked and Phantom weren't up for anything a couple years ago either..."

That's because they were celebrating major anniversaries.

GreenGables Profile Photo
GreenGables
#26SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:35am

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Kind of ridiculous when you consider some of the other limited engagements out there... I hope I didn't pay $200 to see City Centers on Broadway.

"

this is really just speculation, but I think this is actually fully staged.  Both Lapine and Sondheim were at rehearsals this week from what I heard - I don't think they would care enough if it was just a transfer of the city centers version

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#27SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:36am

Still weird though...I wonder if there's drama involved that they're just not saying...

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

broadwayguy91
#28SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:38am

dianamorales said: "What the chance that they'll perform at the Tonys?? Wicked and Phantom werent up for anything a couple years ago either...

"

the show will be closed by then, I doubt they will perform

I still find it silly. If selling tickets is such a huge concern.. they could have filmed the production and organized a private viewing party / parties for the Tony voters. there are ways to work around it.. 

Updated On: 2/3/17 at 10:38 AM

GreenGables Profile Photo
GreenGables
#29SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:41am

broadwayguy91 said: "dianamorales said: "What the chance that they'll perform at the Tonys?? Wicked and Phantom werent up for anything a couple years ago either...

"

"

Maybe we should start a kickstarter...

Skimbleshanks2
#30SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

I guess it makes sense if the show will be closed by the Tonys...

Does this now make SUNDAY the hottest ticket in town?? Or does it make it more "eh" for ticket buyers?? Curious to hear your analysis...

broadwayguy91
#31SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

GreenGables said: "broadwayguy91 said: "dianamorales said: "What the chance that they'll perform at the Tonys?? Wicked and Phantom werent up for anything a couple years ago either...

"

"

Maybe we should start a kickstarter...

"

lol

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#32SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:42am

This production is so bizarre. First the March hiatus, and now this. I wonder what is really going on.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#33SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:44am

Do all eligible shows HAVE to give out free ticket to Tony voters? Or is it more of a "it's just how it goes" thing? Like I can imagine them still be "eligible" but just denying free tickets if it's really an economic issue. Or maybe that would cause tension between the producers and the tonys.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Skimbleshanks2
#34SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:46am

I'm really not trying to stir the pot but do you think JAKE GYLLENHAAL committed to this and is now being difficult?

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#35SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:49am

??? No ???

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

broadwayguy91
#36SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:49am

Call_me_jorge said: "Do all eligible shows HAVE to give out free ticket to Tony voters? Or is it more of a "it's just how it goes" thing? Like I can imagine them still be "eligible" but just denying free tickets if it's really an economic issue. Or maybe that would cause tension between the producers and the tonys.

"

I imagine it's like the press (critics) getting comps to review the show. you're giving them free tix in return for free publicity.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#37SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:55am

This makes me question why Gyllenhaal is staying attached to the production. I know its too late to pull out, but he didn't do the show for the paycheck. If i were his management team I would be Po'd right now.

buhbuhbilly Profile Photo
buhbuhbilly
#38SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:57am

Skimbleshanks2 said: "I'm really not trying to stir the pot but do you think JAKE GYLLENHAAL committed to this and is now being difficult?

yes

Skimbleshanks2
#39SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:59am

It's already a strict limited engagement that was clearly built around his schedule, and the production jumped the gun moving from CITY CENTERS to BROADWAY... Everything so far seems to have been set up for JAKE... which makes me wonder if this latest news is a result of him too... I'm serious... That's my best guess...

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#40SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:00am

I think it makes perfect sense. Gyllenhaal is a big enough star that he doesn't need a Tony, and the show wouldn't benefit at all from it, as it's set to close long before the awards show (does anyone really care much about Best Revival?).

I adore Sunday, but even I admit that it's never been and never will be a mass crowd pleaser, even with a pretty movie star in the lead.

broadwayguy91
#41SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:03am

please see a psychiatrist Skimbleshanks2, and worry more about Andy Karl and his incoming flop. #gurlbye

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:09am

You all need a Valium. And why would you give up your ticket because of this news?!

broadwayguy91
#43SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:13am

who said they were gonna give up their tickets lol.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#44SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:19am

First page. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#45SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:20am

Speaking as someone who is only able to be in the city the week of their hiatus (which almost certainly has something to do with Jake), I think I'm perfectly justified in being annoyed that this particular production might as well be called "Sunday in the Park with Jake Gyllenhaal." Everything is about Jake. Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake. If Jake can't be in town, oh crap, might as well cancel the show. This production is not about the art, it's about the star. That's not what theatre should be about. We had a very similar discussion in one of my theatre classes last week, and it's so relevant with this production.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#46SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:23am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Speaking as someone who is only able to be in the city the week of their hiatus (which almost certainly has something to do with Jake), I think I'm perfectly justified in being annoyed that this particular production might as well be called "Sunday in the Park with Jake Gyllenhaal." Everything is about Jake. Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake. If Jake can't be in town, oh crap, might as well cancel the show. This production is not about the art, it's about the star. That's not what theatre should be about. We had a very similar discussion in one of my theatre classes last week, and it's so relevant with this production.

I get where you're coming from but without him we wouldn't even have this production. Sunday... is my favorite musical but I know it's always been a tough sell so it needs a star to even get a mounting on Broadway, much less succeed. I'm indifferent to Jake Gyllenhaal usually but if he's what it takes to get a production of this show on Broadway, so be it.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#47SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:24am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "might as well be called "Sunday in the Park with Jake Gyllenhaal.""

I LOL'd. 

AEA AGMA SM
#48SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:26am

Call_me_jorge said: "Do all eligible shows HAVE to give out free ticket to Tony voters? Or is it more of a "it's just how it goes" thing? Like I can imagine them still be "eligible" but just denying free tickets if it's really an economic issue. Or maybe that would cause tension between the producers and the tonys."

Yes, part of the rules state that the voters have to be given comps. There are plenty of voters who are not super wealthy so making them pay would absolutely ensure that you have shows that many voters may not see, especially limited runs that they would have to see before nominations were even announced.

Skimbleshanks2
#49SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:31am

I'd give it up because now I'm scared it's going to get canceled...

I don't need Valium... I just think BroadwayRox is right... This production is being catered to and likely held hostage by its star... I think there's more to it than the press release said... But maybe I'm just cynical...Or right...