pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances- Page 6

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#125Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 2:50pm

I'm trying to get tickets to see Norm and Carolee. For people who have seen the show, how restricted is the view for the dark green seats? Sorry if this has been asked already!

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

Updated On: 2/26/17 at 02:50 PM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#126Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 3:43pm

I'm up there now. It's intermission.  It's hard to see some of the action on the tables at moments and I also noticed if someone is standing too far up the stairs,  you can't see their faces. There are no issues if you need to stand a little though. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#127Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 4:37pm

Can you pivot in your bench if you're on the end?

We have C1-2 which are the two seats on the second table, sitting closest to the pie counter facing right (roughly aligned with the right edge of the counter). Most of the pie counter action will be directly behind our backs. It might be handy if there was enough room to pivot and put my feet on the side of the bench, but I don't want to trip the actors.

Of course, I'll ask when we get there before the show as we're eating our pies and mash.

Updated On: 2/26/17 at 04:37 PM

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#128Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 4:42pm

willep said: "I believe March 1st is the official opening night.

"

Thanks

Its having a long preview.

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#129Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 4:52pm

Oops I realized I didn't specify I meant the view from the dark green seats, I edited my original message!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#130Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 5:34pm

Yes, the program mentioned March 1St being opening night. 

I don't see why you can't move around a little to see. The benches didn't feel crammed to me. Actually,  there is a good chance of some cast member interactions there. 

The show was very good.  Anyone who has tickets for the London cast is in for a treat. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#131Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 6:08pm

I'm sure there will be interactions. (From some photos. it appears as if the Pirelli contest may be on the table in front of me.)

I'm just concerned about getting in the way of the blocking. As a frequent front-row sitter, I always respect the stage as "not my territory" and am conscious that the actors can see me - and I always want to make sure that I don't impose upon the production at the expense of others.

It reminds me of when I was seated in the crrrramped front row of the Golden Theatre for The Normal Heart. The ushers had a prepared speech that the production considered the audience in the first two rows to be part of the production and we were not to fidget. (which was both inevitable and impossible given the tight seating)

Updated On: 2/26/17 at 06:08 PM

HSky
#132Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 6:50pm

The two middle tables, probably more so the house left one, see the most interaction. As long as your feet aren't sticking out in the space between you and the pie counter, and you're flexible enough to react to events (e.g. if you have a drink with you during the show, don't count on always keeping it on the table) there shouldn't really be restriction on movement.

The pie shop "manager" (cast member) might be one to ask when seated if you want to clarify.

Updated On: 2/26/17 at 06:50 PM

sondmon
#133Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 6:52pm

anyone sit on the restricted view table seats yet?

willep
#134Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:17pm

If I recall correctly, the benches are back to back and you can't pivot them. You could ask about sitting on the end sideways, but a lot of action occurs in that area so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want you doing that, but who knows!

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#135Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:20pm

That was exactly my concern. (I had seen that they were like back-to-back pews) And I'm sure when I ask the pie shop person, I'll get an answer, if not earlier.

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#136Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/27/17 at 3:01am

Using the above map, my seat is at the first table from the Pie Counter.  (It's the second green square on that seating chart.)  From my understanding, it is considered "restricted view" because it faces the left side of the seating chart -- but that doesn't mean I can't twist my shoulders and head around to see what is happening between the Pie Counter and the Musicians, right?

I don't get pie (which is fine by me) because apparently the tables are only wide enough to handle one place setting.  I'm more concerned about the sightlines.  But I think I'm good.

kcguy
#137Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 11:51am

Sooo sorry to ask another seating question. The seats I was looking at earlier are gone now.

Anyone know anything about the J4-J10 seats. They appear to be in the back on the floor without a counter. Are these just stools? A bench? Something with a back? Partner has some mobility issues and seating type is always an issue.

TIA

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#138Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 10:29pm

Ouch, Brantley was not a fan of this production and concept. He is complimentary of some of the performances and musical arrangements. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/theater/sweeney-todd-review.html?_r=0

HSky
#139Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 10:55pm

I was in J8. It doesn't have the small countertop in front but otherwise is similar to most of the seats in the back - that particular row is a barstool height contiguous bench with a high back support but the lower part is open to the half wall immediately behind separating it from the handicapped ramp. (As I mentioned upthread, had I known, I wouldn't have checked my coat and used it to provide lower back support.) The seat all the way to the right is blocked off by the wall, so entrance to that row is only via the center aisle. If you want slightly more room, get the seats on that center aisle, although there are actors who will pass through that space. You'll also have easy egress to/from the lobby at intermission via the ramp and door behind you.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#140Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 10:57pm

Ljay....does make you wonder if he'll do a 180 with the new cast.  Much of his criticism goes toward the principles.  And poor Matt Doyle: barely got any write up at all frown

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#141Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 11:06pm

Love this musical. Saw the original 27 times. Saw Dorothy Loudon when Angela Lansbury left, revivals with Beth Fowler, Patti LuPone.

But I just read that this new production has cut 2 songs: The Letter and City on Fire, maybe my two favorite moments in the show. I don't get that.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#142Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 11:08pm

What?? They cut City on Fire? Isn't that a pivotal sequence to cut? 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#143Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 11:21pm

I'm just writing what I just read in Matthew Murray's review from Talkin' Broadway. In his review he states that these two songs are cut.

I always loved the 5-part harmony in The Letter as the 5 Ensemble members sing Sweeney's letter as we see him write it to the Judge to trap him into coming back to the pie shop. And City on Fire is sort of the climax of the second act where all hell breaks loose.

Still would like to see this production but I have problems when songs are cut from the original piece.

willep
#144Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 11:23pm

As I recall, both of those songs were still in the show...

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#145Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 11:35pm

Oh good, willep. Thx! I should learn not to believe what you read today!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#146Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/2/17 at 9:02am

Both are still in the show. The Letter doesn't feature the choral harmonies.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#147Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/2/17 at 9:41am

Brantley overuses the word "pastiche," and I don't think he really knows the meaning of the word. There is nothing "pastiche" about "Green Finch and Linnet Bird." Although perhaps meant to convey a general impression of a Victorian parlor song, it is no way an imitation of one.

gimlet2
#148Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/2/17 at 11:00am

Maybe old news: there's a $39 TodayTix lottery, I'm assuming going forward and not just for tonight's show. Did I miss the announcement? (nothing came up in search, but that isn't always reliable...)

willep
#149Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/2/17 at 11:11am

I just opened TodayTix and noticed that as well. It's the first I have heard of it.