ANASTASIA Previews

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#25ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 12:38pm

This is first time I get to say I'm going to a first preview! I'm seeing the Phantom matinee today and Anastasia tonight. Literally the oldest and newest shows on Broadway on the same day. 

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#26ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 12:59pm

TheSassySam said: "This is first time I get to say I'm going to a first preview! I'm seeing the Phantom matinee today and Anastasia tonight. Literally the oldest and newest shows on Broadway on the same day. "

I am seeing both of these today too! Also my first time going to a first preview.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#27ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 1:47pm

I am so sick of online lotteries...

UrNotAMachine
#28ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:07pm

I was at the invited dress rehearsal last night, but I think it's rather uncouth to give my opinion of a show before previews have even started. I will say, however, that the show looks very beautiful. This is also the first iteration I've seen of it, so I'm not sure what differences there are between the Hartford and the Broadway productions.

neonlightsxo
#29ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:09pm

Are you saying it's beautiful because you didn't like it?

UrNotAMachine
#30ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:12pm

No. I'm simply mentioning that as a definite highlight

Updated On: 3/23/17 at 02:12 PM

10086sunset
#31ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:37pm

Telecharge says that tonight is sold out.

matineeidol2591
#32ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 3:36pm

The show was sumptuous at Hartford. The costumes in particular are quite ornate. 

I thought the show was in great shape last year - I'm really looking forward to this one. 

StylishCynic
#33ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 5:37pm

Can someone going tonight report on merchandise?

I want a coffee mug and windowcard for sure. I'm not going for another 2 weeks. I'm hoping they'll have merch by then!

Updated On: 3/23/17 at 05:37 PM

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#34ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 7:13pm

Can't wait to hear the reviews tonight. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#35ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 8:39pm

Apparently the name for the fans of the show is Fanastasians. Cute.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#36ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 8:42pm

10086sunset said: "Telecharge says that tonight is sold out."

Telecharge also says tomorrow night's performance only has one ticket left in the whole house—a center orch seat priced at $352. Super impressed at how well the show's selling right out of the gate!

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#37ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 8:52pm

I was looking to see it in mid-May and the date I wanted had most of the balcony sold out already.

Excited to hear any changes from Hartford, I can't wait for the Cast Album this summer.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#38ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 9:09pm

They just live streamed "Once Upon a December" from tonight's performance on their Facebook page.  I love social media!!!! 

pupscotch
#39ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 9:27pm

Anyone have intermission reports? I've been so excited for this show!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#40ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 9:43pm

Famebroadway2 said: "They just live streamed "Once Upon a December" from tonight's performance on their Facebook page.  I love social media!!!! 

"

That was great! Christy's voice is great as always. The ensemble sounded beautiful and haunting. But, is it me or is the orchestra lacking? It seems like  you could heard one instrument and it wasn't booming like at Hartford.

Updated On: 3/24/17 at 09:43 PM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#41ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 9:53pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Famebroadway2 said: "They just live streamed "Once Upon a December" from tonight's performance on their Facebook page.  I love social media!!!!  "
That was great! Christy did sound a little nasally at the beginning, but she caught up. Her voice is great as always. The ensemble sounded beautiful and haunting. But, is it me or is the orchestra lacking? It seems like  you could heard one instrument and it wasn't booming like at Hartford.
"

Well, I'm sure the sound is being channeled through the board.  Otherwise, that audience applause was rather tepid or, at most, polite.  But, that is probably due to how the sound was transmitted.  

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#42ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 9:55pm

I wish they kept it up there instead of deleting it ANASTASIA Previews

disneybroadwayfan22
#43ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 9:57pm

n2nbaby said: "I wish they kept it up there instead of deleting it ANASTASIA Previews

"

It's still there. I'm listening to it rn

SaveSave

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#44ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 9:58pm

n2nbaby said: "I wish they kept it up there instead of deleting it ANASTASIA Previews"

It's still up and working for me. Listening to it now!

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#45ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:06pm

Ooooohhh my bad! I thought the video was live streamed and that was just a preview from the cast recording. I had a long day, sorry! LOL

10086sunset
#46ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:08pm

Needed to leave at intermission due to a personal matter but enjoyed the first act. 

While waiting online, logo buttons were handed out that read Fanastasia, first preview, March 23rd, 2017. 

The theater was packed. Didn't see a single free seat in the orchestra. 

At least in my section of the orchestra, the crowd seemed excited and you could feel a sense of electricity. The mother and daughter sitting next to my wife and I were smiling like kids on Christmas morning. 

The costumes, especially the Romanovs formal dress were impressive. It's a very beautiful looking show. 

There's a video board being used to display the scene changes. 

Thought the show was extremely well cast. Ramon Karimloo really delivers "Still." Derek Klena and John Bolton are both fairly good as Dmitry and Vlad. Thought Christy Altomare slayed the vocals on "Once Upon A December."

At times, I thought the first act dragged. If I was going to nitpick, didn't like the direction at certain points. One moment was during Once Upon A December. Dmitry kneels stage left with his back to the audience. Maybe it's just my belief that the audience shouldn't see the back of an actor. 

At least during the first act, there was much more good than bad.

Overall, I look forward to going back and getting to finish the show.

For the person asking about merch, there were a few t-shirts, a purple one that read Fanastasia. There was also a mug, tote bag and a couple of other items.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts from Neon and everyone else who was also there tonight.

Updated On: 3/24/17 at 10:08 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#47ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:09pm

I hope everything's okay with you, sunset! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

disneybroadwayfan22
#48ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:33pm

Prayers, sunset!

Song list? So, "Still" replaces "Anya." That's too bad b/c Gleb really needs a number in Act 2.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#49ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:58pm

Tonight was rough (hello! Music box breaking?) But the highlight was Caroline O'Conner. If this show gets any acting Tony nominations. It'll be for her role as Lilly. 

SPOILERS BELOW 

-- expanding further on the train --

The show seemed... lackluster to me. The costumes were gorgeous, but everything else seemed off. There's little details like Dmitry giving two cans of beans for the music box when he says he'll give him three. Or the entire train sequence where everything seemed imbalanced. The projections are gorgeous, but unneeded for the most part. At times, I felt I was watching a Times Square mascot version of Anastasia. 

You get a strong sense that the producers said, "eh, this is a cash cow, do whatever." 

**** PLOT SPOILERS ****

In the climax when Gleb has the option to shoot her and he refuses, there's no real reason WHY he doesn't shoot. His character had no empathy throughout the show, why now? Did this bother anybody else?

Updated On: 3/23/17 at 10:58 PM