pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 1:22am

songanddanceman2 said: "I don't really get the 'how is On Your Feet still running?' Kinda remarks on this board. Yes it's fallen but most week it's making what it needs. "

No it is not. Not rationally. Obviously the Estafans are willing to dump in money and keep it running so in that sense it is getting what it needs. 

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 6:09am

pupscotch said: "Chicken_Flavor said: "Book of Mormon did sub-par... How long do you guys think it'll go on? It's six year anniversary was recent, so how many more years are they planning to go for?

"

Only on BroadwayWorld is 96% of gross potential and over 1.2 million dollars for a show that's already recouped sub-par.

"

I'd say it runs for a 14 years... should we start a pool? 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 8:18am

The OYF conversation needs to die. Clearly someone wants it to stay open and it had a pretty successful first year on Broadway. Have they've lost some steam? Hell yeah. But maybe someone behind the scenes thinks that their one or two occasional "good" weeks are worth fighting through the bad weeks for. Also, it's not like anyone is pounding at the door of the Marquis demanding a theater right this second. They'll probably run their course this summer and close by labor day. I'm not sure why we have to keep beating a dead horse with this same conversation every week. 

The real shows in question, however, are In Transit and Significant Other. They've been unsuccessful from the start and don't seem to be going anywhere either. 

neonlightsxo
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 9:27am

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "neonlightsxo said: "So far Groundhog Day has made no changes from London, from what I've read here, so..."

Is that really true? The wikipedia list of songs seems to have some differences....
"

Not sure what you're reading but no changes from what I've heard.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 10:07am

I don't know if Sweat will win Best Play...I know Indecent has not opened yet, but in the political climate and with Paula Vogel behind it, I feel that show has advantages, if you know what I mean. It's just a gut feeling.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

neonlightsxo
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 10:50am

Could be Oslo. Doesn't have to be either Indecent or Sweat.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 12:35pm

Sweat is far, far, far more pertinent to the political climate in a direct sense, although I prefer Indecent as a play. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 12:59pm

Scarywarhol said: "Sweat is far, far, far more pertinent to the political climate in a direct sense, although I prefer Indecent as a play. "

Well the award if for best ply not most politically pertinent play so I gather you agree with me that Indecent is the better of the 2. (I'd say of the 3 if you add in Oslo per above.)

neonlightsxo
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 2:45pm

I certainly agree Indecent is the better of the two. I haven't seen Oslo yet.

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 2:52pm

MadonnaMusical said: "pupscotch said: "Chicken_Flavor said: "Book of Mormon did sub-par... How long do you guys think it'll go on? It's six year anniversary was recent, so how many more years are they planning to go for? 
"
Only on BroadwayWorld is 96% of gross potential and over 1.2 million dollars for a show that's already recouped sub-par.

"
I'd say it runs for a 14 years... should we start a pool? 

"

I say 12 yrs then they move to New World, to be next door neighbors to Ave Q.   idk, just guessing. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 4:46pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Groundhogs gross seems low, but could that be due to handing out comps to those who went to the first preview? So happy for Come From Away. It's amazing to see a show like it without much name recognition out grossing those that do. I think it's funny it's gross and Miss saigons were about the same

"

The situations are significantly different. Miss Saigon has a barn to fill, and the only way to do it with the competition it has now is discounting and probably papering tickets, whereas Jacobs is a smaller house and the amount of publicity CFA gets fills it up quickly.

DaisyMae56
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 4:52pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Groundhogs gross seems low, but could that be due to handing out comps to those who went to the first preview? So happy for Come From Away. It's amazing to see a show like it without much name recognition out grossing those that do. I think it's funny it's gross and Miss saigons were about the same

"

The situations are significantly different. Miss Saigon has a barn to fill, and the only way to do it with the competition it has now is discounting and probably papering tickets, whereas Jacobs is a smaller house and the amount of publicity CFA gets fills it up quickly.

"

Come From Away isn't in the Jacobs.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 5:17pm

I keep forgetting about Oslo, which is shameful on my part because I love Jefferson Mays. I hope I'm in the minority and that word is getting around. The Vivian Beaumont is quite large.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#63Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 5:39pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "I keep forgetting about Oslo, which is shameful on my part because I love Jefferson Mays. I hope I'm in the minority and that word is getting around. The Vivian Beaumont is quite large.

On Sunday afternoon it was quite full but not sold out (there were a few seats empty here and there.) Unfortunately it did look like people left during each intermission.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#64Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 5:41pm

DaisyMae56 said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: "Come From Away isn't in the Jacobs."

Yeah, it's at the Schoenfeld, which is ever so slightly smaller, which only enhances Dancingthrulife2's point.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#65Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 6:18pm

neonlightsxo said: "JustAnotherNewYorker said: "neonlightsxo said: "So far Groundhog Day has made no changes from London, from what I've read here, so..."

Is that really true? The wikipedia list of songs seems to have some differences....
"

Not sure what you're reading but no changes from what I've heard.
"

As I said, the wikipedia page:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day_(musical)

which shows 8 songs each act in London and 12/11 in the acts on Broadway. Some are reprises, but it certainly doesn't look identical...

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#66Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 8:41pm

What're our serious thoughts on Significant Other making it to MDW? That's when my tickets are for... lol

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#67Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/28/17 at 9:27pm

HogansHero said: "Scarywarhol said: "Sweat is far, far, far more pertinent to the political climate in a direct sense, although I prefer Indecent as a play. "

Well the award if for best ply not most politically pertinent play so I gather you agree with me that Indecent is the better of the 2. (I'd say of the 3 if you add in Oslo per above.)

"

I do indeed agree; was just responding to the notion that Indecent had an edge because of its topical relevance. On that front, it's clearly Sweat. I do think they're both excellent plays.  

Have not seen Oslo yet. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#68Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/29/17 at 12:19pm

Per earlier point about "Bronx Tale." It's quite strategically advertised, currently in the blanket (floor, stairs, etc) at Penn, and posters are ubiquitous in NYC, on every mass transit line, heavily.  The TV ads are fairly prominent. I'd say, their marketing is solid, and contributes to its numbers.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

ChiTheaterFan
#69Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:24am

Had anyone else had large school groups at Sweat?  I'm asking because I'm wondering if they have a promotion going with schools or something that is contributing to the low average ticket price. 

The show itself was great. Sadly I can't say the same for the audience. (And I've been at shows with plenty of very good groups of kids.). Too bad it's not selling better. 

neonlightsxo
#70Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/30/17 at 10:15am

GreasedLightning said: "What're our serious thoughts on Significant Other making it to MDW? That's when my tickets are for... lol"

Not likely, as the nominations are May 2nd. Unless they get enough noms to stay open...

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#71Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17
Posted: 3/30/17 at 10:49am

>I do indeed agree; was just responding to the notion that Indecent had an edge because of its topical relevance. On that front, it's clearly Sweat. I do think they're both excellent plays.<

Indecent depicts a time in US history fraught with anti-Semitism, anti-immigration and homophobic sentiment, our boarders were closed to refugees, and art was being censored. How is it not topical?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.