pixeltracker

2017 Drama League Nominations & Awards- Page 4

2017 Drama League Nominations & Awards

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#752017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:31pm

The list on BWW (as of 30 seconds ago at least) was incomplete and ended with Harvey Fierstein. I always think of that  list of previous winners as being a little "Yay, look at you! You had a job this season!"

I'm sure I could dig up the list, but wasn't LuPone still nominated for Sweeney Todd the year she won the Distinguished Achievement in Musical Theatre Award?

ETA: She was. That was also the year Ebersole won for Grey Gardens.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 4/19/17 at 01:31 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#762017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:41pm

givesmevoice said: "The list on BWW (as of 30 seconds ago at least) was incomplete and ended with Harvey Fierstein. I always think of that  list of previous winners as being a little "Yay, look at you! You had a job this season!"

I'm sure I could dig up the list, but wasn't LuPone still nominated for Sweeney Todd the year she won the Distinguished Achievement in Musical Theatre Award?

ETA: She was. That was also the year Ebersole won for Grey Gardens.

At that point, she hadn't won the award yet.  She won for Gypsy. 

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#772017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:44pm

Yes, I know that. But she was nominated for the Distinguished Performance Award the same year she received the Distinguished Achievement in Musical Theatre Award, whereas Midler is somehow ineligible for the Distinguished Performance Award because she's receiving the Distinguished Achievement in Musical Theatre Award.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

SkylarElizabeth
#782017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:47pm

I'm surprised that Amelie got a nom, but Phillipa and Adam didn't.  Also surprised the Amelie as a show got nominated, as it has been getting mixed to negative reviews.  I haven't seen it yet, though, so maybe its better than the critics make it seem.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#792017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:48pm

Thanks for the full list, Valentina! The one I saw only went up to Fierstein. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#802017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:52pm

TheSassySam said: "Caroline O'Conner is the most expected nominee from Anastasia. If Anastasia gets only one Tony nomination for acting, it'll be her. 

"I agree along with Costumes. I feel the show will not get  a nomination for best musical or for Christy!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#812017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 6:43pm

I'm guessing this goes to Kline, though if I were voting, I'd give it to Sarah Jones for Sell/Buy/Date.  It's really a travesty that her performance wasn't seen by more people.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#822017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 6:54pm

I would say it's between Kline and Foster. It's a shame Borle's performances didn't amount to much, this coulda been his year!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#832017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 6:58pm

givesmevoice said: "Yes, I know that. But she was nominated for the Distinguished Performance Award the same year she received the Distinguished Achievement in Musical Theatre Award, whereas Midler is somehow ineligible for the Distinguished Performance Award because she's receiving the Distinguished Achievement in Musical Theatre Award.

I see what you mean now. Maybe the Drama League is just as inconsistent as the Tony Awards?

neonlightsxo
#842017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 7:04pm

Don't underestimate Allison Janney! 

djoko84
#852017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/20/17 at 6:57am

Ben Platt will win. You're all crazy to predict someone else.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#862017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/2/17 at 8:26am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Some omissions I noticed along the way:

No Baldwin or Creel for HELLO DOLLY. They only nominated David Hyde Pierce.

No Jon Jon Briones. Only Eva Noblezada.

No Stephanie J. Block. Only Borle for FALSETTOS & CHARLIE.

No Phillipa Soo. No Christy Altomare.

"

Also hoping Stephanie J. Block would get one......

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#872017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/2/17 at 2:19pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "Some omissions I noticed along the way:

No Baldwin or Creel for HELLO DOLLY. They only nominated David Hyde Pierce.

No Jon Jon Briones. Only Eva Noblezada.

No Stephanie J. Block. Only Borle for FALSETTOS & CHARLIE.

No Phillipa Soo. No Christy Altomare.

"

Stephanie J Block did get a Tony nomination though!  Nice!

Ryan2
#882017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/19/17 at 2:46pm

Butter Broadway said: "Patti Lupone, Christy Altomare, Jon Jon Briones, Josh Groban, Corey Cott, Phillipa Soo, Bronx Tale, and Significant Other all got shut out."

Patti LuPone was not "shut out" - she was ineligible because she won a Drama League Award for "Gypsy."

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#892017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/19/17 at 2:50pm

Winners:

Oslo for Best Play

Dear Evan Hansen for Musical

Jitney for Play Revivial

Dolly for Musical Revival 

Ben Platt for Distinguished Performance

Personally, I would have liked to see Metcalf or Doll's House get some recognition, but this was a pretty predictable list. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#902017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/19/17 at 3:28pm

Good for Ben Platt. Quite an accomplishment at 23.

Updated On: 5/19/17 at 03:28 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#912017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/19/17 at 3:34pm

An amazing, well-deserved accomplishment at any age, but it's crazy that he won at 23. This is also the first time that DEAR EVAN HANSEN went up against COME FROM AWAY and THE GREAT COMET and came out on top.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

PaulWom
#922017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/19/17 at 3:45pm

It's also the same awards ceremony that gave Best Musical to An American In Paris over Hamilton AND Fun Home... Don't really think it matters who wins here.

Congratulations to Ben Platt! Can't imagine how he'll top this, but I can't wait to see whatever he decides to do next.

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#932017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/20/17 at 12:23am

Oh Ben Platt!!!  I'm so happy for him - what an amazing performance - he truly deserves this and the Tony, in my opinion.  Can't wait to see where his career takes him, but sure hope he stays on Broadway or comes back every so often!

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#942017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/20/17 at 5:36am

Isn't this the popularity award? You know, voted by people who paid to be in the league?

Updated On: 5/20/17 at 05:36 AM

Wayman_Wong
#952017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/20/17 at 12:18pm

Yes, for $125 (or more), anyone can join the League and vote.

The Distinguished Performance used to be even harder to win because you could only be eligible once for a specific show. They recently changed the rules, so the same performers can be eligible twice (once for the Off-Broadway show; a second time for the Broadway production). For instance, Platt was nominated LAST year for the Off-Broadway ''Evan Hansen,'' but the 2006 winner was Lin-Manuel Miranda for ''Distinguished Performance.''

Also, ''Hamilton'' beat ''Evan Hansen'' for Best Musical.

Plus, the League did something different this year: They gave a special Musical Theater award to Bette Midler, thereby taking her out of the running for the Distinguished Performance prize. If she had been competing for that, I'll bet Midler would've won.

Updated On: 5/20/17 at 12:18 PM

djoko84
#962017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/20/17 at 12:52pm

As always I'm right. People should just listen to me on here and not anyone else. Just a word of advice.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#972017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/21/17 at 12:50am

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#982017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/21/17 at 12:51am

Videos