pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 9:39pm

Chicago continues to boggle my mind. How is it doing that well?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 11:51pm

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I was looking at Wicked's historical grosses... I'm pretty sure this week pushed them over 10 million seats sold at the Gershwin!!

VintageSnarker
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 1:23am

JayG 2 said: "Interesting. The new musicalsthat are doing well (and merit be damned) are Charlie and the CF... and Anastasia, clearly aimed at children and their moms who know the properties. Groundhog Day, War Paint and Amelie - all more or less intended for an older audience are doing middling business.And we can forget the straight play category. They are drowning or floating to get by.

This is what New York theater is becoming. Kiddieland!  NYC once was the theatrical center of the western world. Today ?- and I'll quote George Furth: "New York is the center of New York." 

As Mildred Plotka pointed out, sure, Anastasia (barring any changes they might have made) is appropriate for children but the real brilliance is that the potential audience who were children when the movie came out are now in a prime disposable income age range. I don't really know who Groundhog Day and Amelie are for. Are they for people who remember the movies or are they being sold as romantic fare for that same Anastasia demographic who might be going on dates? People aren't obligated to go to shows. They'll see what appeals to them and commercial shows need to make some effort to be appealing.

You also have to factor in things like advertising. Anastasia posters are all over the subway and I'd forget A Doll's House Part 2 existed if not for this board. 

Also, A Bronx Tale. That's hardly being sold to kids. 

@z5
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 2:01am

Saw Dolls House this weekend and was very impressed by it. Stage design is awesome, as are Laurie and Jayne. It really is a good play, sad to see these numbers for it. But I understand the lack of appeal to many. I really didn't have much interest in it until reading what some people have said about it on here. Hopefully it picks up as time goes on.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 2:18am

I think A Bronx's Tale advertising is very smart. They're appealing to the bridge & tunnel crowd. I don't think it will run for 5 years, but I think they'll have a healthy run, which - to me - is surprising. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 5:52am

I just saw it and really disliked it.  Act was fine,  but the heavy handed preachiness of act two just about killed me.  And it doesn't help that I don't care much for narrator driven plays. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

mailhandler777
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 6:51am

canadian fan said: "I would concur with JayG, how is it people will flock to see Charlie, yet Dolls House is seemingly  ignored? Quality be dammed apparently. Broadway is supposed to be the Meca for serious theater is it not? Sad state of affairs if what JayG is saying is true, and it seems it just may be.

"

I'd see Charlie before Doll House and I'm nowhere near a kid. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

JBC3
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 7:32am

TotallyEffed said: "The stage design for A Doll's House, Part 2 is extremely chic and fresh. It was a mistake to have the marketing design and show poster so stuffy and boring. Based on that design alone I would assume it was a very drowsy night at the theatre. In fact, it's a fabulously thrilling night that is not to be missed. Hopefully word of mouth will help it along.

"

Agree. Whatever assumptions the marketing team is operating under, they appear to be the wrong ones.

This show is extremely funny, has a compelling moral question at its core, and features a great cast, but their names alone will not fill the house with a play title that means little to nothing if you do not know the original, and even then ...

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 8:12am

"The stage design for A Doll's House, Part 2 is extremely chic and fresh. It was a mistake to have the marketing design and show poster so stuffy and boring."

This is so true - it's one of the worst marketing designs for a show ever, and has nothing at all to do with the show itself, which is a very modern, thoughtful, funny, and enjoyable evening.

Updated On: 4/11/17 at 08:12 AM

neonlightsxo
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:03am

Doll's House is a Scott Rudin production. He's always willing to take a hit financially if it's something he believes in...at least for the first couple weeks.

LarryD2
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:06am

neonlightsxo said: "Doll's House is a Scott Rudin production. He's always willing to take a hit financially if it's something he believes in...at least for the first couple weeks.

"

True. But I'm still surprised at how poorly the show has been marketed. They've been papering left and right for previews, probably in an attempt to create word of mouth.

neonlightsxo
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:07am

I'm not defending the marketing, just saying what simply hadn't been stated up to that point. Rudin is the producer.

jbird5
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:08am

neonlightsxo said: "Doll's House is a Scott Rudin production. He's always willing to take a hit financially if it's something he believes in...at least for the first couple weeks.

"

They'd be killing it at Barrow Street.

neonlightsxo
#63Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:11am

What's the point of speculating that? Barrow Street is not available at the moment.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#64Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:18am

I think we are underestimating the recognition/brand behind A Bronx Tale. It began life as a well-known play, became a very popular movie, and Menken and De Niro are involved. There's a lot of love for these things out there. Even if you exclude the "post-Jersey Boys" crowds, America knows what "A Bronx Tale" is.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

neonlightsxo
#65Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:20am

Well obviously. We know that now.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#66Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:24am

Right Neon, that was directed at the folks who continue to be baffled by its success.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

LarryD2
#67Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:50am

jbird5 said: "neonlightsxo said: "Doll's House is a Scott Rudin production. He's always willing to take a hit financially if it's something he believes in...at least for the first couple weeks.

"

"

If Rudin wanted to produce the show Off-Broadway, he would have. He's done it before (The Flick). He clearly wanted it on Broadway. 

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#68Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:55am

It would be so fascinating if WAR PAINT gets the fourth slot for BEST MUSICAL over GROUNDHOG DAY... Given the grosses I'm starting to believe it's possible!

Poor ANDY KARL... Clutch that OLIVIER from FRANK DILELLA's desperate hands!!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

jbird5
#69Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 10:09am

LarryD2 said: "jbird5 said: "neonlightsxo said: "Doll's House is a Scott Rudin production. He's always willing to take a hit financially if it's something he believes in...at least for the first couple weeks.

"

"

If Rudin wanted to produce the show Off-Broadway, he would have. He's done it before (The Flick). He clearly wanted it on Broadway. 

"

The 3 women all have a shot at a Tony, plus Sam Gold, plus Lucas Hnath, plus a bunch of tech awards. I guess he's looking to fill his trophy case.

canadian fan
#70Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/11/17 at 11:02am

mailhandler777 said: "canadian fan said: "I would concur with JayG, how is it people will flock to see Charlie, yet Dolls House is seemingly  ignored? Quality be dammed apparently. Broadway is supposed to be the Meca for serious theater is it not? Sad state of affairs if what JayG is saying is true, and it seems it just may be.

I'd see Charlie before Doll House and I'm nowhere near a kid. 

I think you would be in the vast minority with that opinion on this board. But all good, everyone has different opinions and tastes, none are right, none are wrong, just different.