pixeltracker

A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews- Page 3

A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#50A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/28/17 at 8:26am

"Critic's Pick" - I don't know if I've ever seen people care so deeply about three syllables. I mean, I loved the show, but does anyone really think that significant numbers of people see those two words and immediately call Telecharge?

Mike66
#51A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/28/17 at 8:51am

newintown said: ""Critic's Pick" - I don't know if I've ever seen people care so deeply about three syllables. I mean, I loved the show, but does anyone really think that significant numbers of people see those two words and immediately call Telecharge?

"The Times started the phrase (and the cute little logo) just a few years ago.  And it seems (at least to me) that advertisements now routinely display that logo -- large and prominent -- every time it's awarded.  EIGHTEEN shows got it this year. 

I don't know the statistics, and maybe no one does ---- but the fact is that when they CAN, they DO.  So THEY must think it's important.  Just the same way that (fairly or unfairly), a pull quote from Brantley is ALWAYS at the top of the ad (if they can find one), that LOGO is a very prominent part of the marketing.

ALSO, and ESPECIALLY for a play like this that is searching for an audience, those three little syllables may be a true lifeline -- not just to attract more viewers right now -- but to give the investors the strength to keep it open.  Let's hope so.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#52A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/28/17 at 8:53am

I don't chime in too much anymore but loved the play. Glad to see it god the reviews it did. Thanks for adding the the to the reviews Jeffrey it is very helpful and helps people like me looking for a quick scan. Oh and all why put yourself through After Eight. Have had the person blocked for years. Forget they even still attend the theatre to be miserable until someone mentions them and I see their name mentioned in a copy and paste. 

Would be so much more enjoyable if no one really saw what the dinner mint had to say.

But back on topic. See the play if you have the chance. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#53A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/28/17 at 9:16am

Jesse Green is finally up, and it's positive:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/theater-reopening-that-door-with-a-dolls-house-part-2.html

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#54A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/28/17 at 10:10am

The thing about After Eight is that he has such an interesting taste in shows that I would genuinely be interested in reading what he has to say about the shows that he sees, but instead he just uses a bunch of buzzwords and fails to say anything meaningful. Not to mention the constant reminders that he didn't like a show, as if we didn't hear him loud and clear the first time.

"In memory, everything happens to music"

After Eight
#55A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/28/17 at 10:22am

"he just uses a bunch of buzzwords and fails to say anything meaningful."

Gee, and here all this time I thought words like arch, smug, smart-ass, affected, and self-indulgent had meaning.

Guess not.

JerseyBoy25
#56A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/28/17 at 10:38am

After Eight, I don't think it's necessarily that the words you use don't have meaning, it's just you rarely use examples to back them up. If you explained why you thought it was self-indulgent, or actually mentioning actual aspects of the writing, direction, design or acting that you didn't like, people might be more willing to actually listen to the buzzwords. It's just a thought.

Really excited to see this play, I just wish they did more advertising with it. So few people know anything about it.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#57A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/28/17 at 12:44pm

If he did that, he would be using his faculties in the manner of a critic, which he despises. For After Eight, his opinions – i.e., those silly lists of adjectives – don’t need justification. They are correct without explanation, they are the Truth, and you can take them or leave them. (And whichever you choose is irrelevant because, either way, he’s still right. And he has the nerve to rail against smugness. Amazing, isn’t it?)

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#58A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/28/17 at 1:16pm

Toby Zinman writes an outlier review for the Philadelphia Inquirer in which she doesn't even try to hide that the play went over her head.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillystage/Dolls-House-Part-2-Entertaining-but-unsurprising.html

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#59A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/28/17 at 2:21pm

I'm so happy to read all of these positive and rave reviews!

I have tickets for tomorrow night and can't wait to see it!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#60A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 4/30/17 at 2:05pm

Caught this Saturday night, and while I don't think I liked it as much as many here, I can't stop thinking about it.   Clever, thought provoking.....I hope it gets some Tony love.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#61A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 11:30am

How insane is it to think of catching this at 8p and then bolting down to try and catch The View Upstairs at 10[... is that even do-able? Is this the kind of show where some post-show breathing room would be preferred?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#62A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 11:31am

haterobics said: "How insane is it to think of catching this at 8p and then bolting down to try and catch The View Upstairs at 10[... is that even do-able? Is this the kind of show where some post-show breathing room would be preferred?

"

I saw at 7pm performance. The show was over by 8:30 and I was able to catch a 9 o'clock train. It's doable.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#63A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 11:33am

Thanks. The other option is flipping View onto Sunday after Antipodes, but then I'm getting home a lot later than I prefer... decisions, decisions. A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#64A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 11:35am

It's doable, but the only issue is that you will need to walk from the subway to the Redgrave from Prince Street.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#65A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 11:37am

Kad said: "It's doable, but the only issue is that you will need to walk from the subway to the Redgrave from Prince Street."

Easier to pop into a cab, or harder?

Of course, if I win the Amelie lottery for Saturday night (I planned this trip too late to enter for tonight), then I'll have to flip things around and it won't work. Or debate whether I should really see Amelie, heh.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#66A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 11:51am

Train is probably easier on a Saturday night.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#67A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 11:52am

Kad said: "Train is probably easier on a Saturday night."

Thanks Mr. Kad!

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#68A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:16pm

I saw this last night and I was out the door before 830 so I think you can make it. 

I'm in the vast minority here apparently cause I read over this thread and the previews thread this morning and other than AfterEight who I normally don't agree with cause I don't hate everything I see I think I'm the only one who hated this show with a passion. If I had an aisle seat I would have actually left 25 mins in and I've never left a show before. I felt like it was a giant lecture. I found the character of Nora to be another disgusting and repulsive me, me, me personality who didn't give a **** about anyone but herself. I didn't feel a bit of truth in her remorse about leaving her kids behind because she was more concerned with herself. Like Nora's daughter said, she didn't even want to meet her until she wanted something from her to help her. I didn't feel the least bit of sympathy for her. The worst of it was having to listen to her lecture us numerous times with her actually looking into the crowd like it was a lecture. 

I didn't see anyone comment about this but I actually felt like they were talking about our time now with the hint and a wink that Nora kept saying it's going to get better in future times for woman. She kept bringing up the 20-30 year comment that things will change. Now I absolutely agree in equal pay for women but that's not really what she was talking about, this was more about marriage. Maybe I missed the boat entirely on this aspect but I really felt like there were numerous subtle hints about this. 

Anne Marie was the only redeeming character here for me. 

I know I'm in the minority here because the majority of theatre was laughing along even though I didn't find much of it funny at all besides a few of Anne Maries 1 liners. 

I'm not really looking for an argument, I just figured I'd give my 2 cents with a completely different point of view. I wanted to delve into it a bit more without just giving a few words to describe it. 

I will say this though, it definitely got a reaction out of me. My gf and I talked about it the whole way home and I'd rather sit through something like that vs six degrees of separation where we both went meh and forgot about it soon as we left the theatre. 

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 12:16 PM

After Eight
#69A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:28pm

"other than AfterEight who I normally don't agree with cause I don't hate everything I see I think I'm the only one who hated this show with a passion."

First, I don't hate everything I see. 

And I know several people who hated this show, just like you. As for me, I found it really wasn't worth hating with a passion. It just bored and irritated me no end.

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#70A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:51pm

You might not hate everything you see, but you don't seem to make an effort to talk about the shows you like other than Hello, Dolly! of which most of your comments involve comparing it to other shows you hate. What have you seen recently that you liked? I'm actually curious, not trying to be rude.

"In memory, everything happens to music"

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#71A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:54pm

Huh. And I thought I remembered recently reading in another thread you saying you’re not a Republican. I must have misread.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

briansb
#72A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:55pm

Hey everybody, sorry if this is the wrong thread but didn't want to start a new one. Anybody have a report of the view from rows A-C? Thinking of sitting row B. I heard they're not obstructed but trying to get a sense of the view from the sides (didn't get a good look at the seats when I was there a few weeks ago). Thanks!

After Eight
#73A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:56pm

BW,

Hello, Dolly!, War Paint, Anastasia, 70, Girls, 70 at 54 Below, Anything Goes at Musicals Tonite readily come to mind.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#74A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Reviews
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:59pm

briansb said: "Hey everybody, sorry if this is the wrong thread but didn't want to start a new one. Anybody have a report of the view from rows A-C? Thinking of sitting row B. I heard they're not obstructed but trying to get a sense of the view from the sides (didn't get a good look at the seats when I was there a few weeks ago). Thanks!

"

I didn't sit there but any of those rows look fine, the stage is low and it comes out into the crowd.