GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#25Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:35pm

Matt I did, but... idk... this thread is really weird... I'm just going to leave. Ya'll have fun.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#26Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:36pm

Broadway World's Fireman.
Updated On: 6/13/17 at 05:36 PM

ChenghisKhan
#27Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:38pm

Mister Matt said: "I take it you didn't read his battle scene recreations for the stage?

"

I SAW Miss Saigon, DAMMIT! I know how the play is arranged! As far as I know, I saw no major clashing between Vietcong and the American Soldiers. Now just tell me what you think regarding my ideas.

Wildcard
#28Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:40pm

These are the same reasons I can't stand The Sound of Music. It's set pre-WWII yet it starts with some woman spinning in the mountains?!! It should start with the Nazi's marching in the boulevards of Austria. Who sings about favorite things when Ole Adolf is taking over your country? That's just not historically accurate! 

angel

ChenghisKhan
#29Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:42pm

Wildcard said: "These are the same reasons I can't stand The Sound of Music. It's set pre-WWII yet it starts with some woman spinning in the mountains?!! It should start with the Nazi's marching in the boulevards of Austria. Who sings about favorite things when Ole Adolf is taking over your country? That's just not historically accurate! 

angel

"

THANK YOU! Finally, somebody who also feels the same way that I do!

GeorgeandDot
#30Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:43pm

I think they were joking honey.........

ChenghisKhan
#31Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:44pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I think they were joking honey.........

"

I know. They were being sarcastic. And don't call me "honey." I'm way too old to be referred to as "honey."

GeorgeandDot
#32Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:45pm

^I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother.... honey.

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 05:45 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:45pm

Anyone else feel a sudden craving for a cruel sandwich?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#34Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:54pm

If it's so awful........why did you join and post a massive thread on it?

Ah yes.....so much fun to taunt the know it alls...

The Other One
#35Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:07pm

I've been going to Broadway shows since 1966.  It is by far the worst hit show I've ever seen.  I saw it in London in the fall of '89 and would never see another production.  

Maturity may indeed do wonders for your ability to articulate, Chenghis, but your taste and instincts are in order.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#36Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:30pm

Literally no one asked you lol. It is one of the longest running and most beloved shows of Broadway history. 

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#37Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:32pm

Miss Saigon is actually the best show I've ever seen. And I have seen a lot.

Some people needed 3 days to recover from seeing the show.

Also, it's the only show with a perfect song order, where every lyric, moment and transition makes sense in  a natural way. It really is great moment after great moment after great moment. Never in this show I have a moment where I go "this is too forced "musical-ish" which I have in a lot of other shows. Miss Saigon is one of those few gems, pieces of art that feels natural to me. (funny thing is that the confrontation/hotel scene in the Broadway revival was the first time in my life that a scene in this show felt unnatural to me (because suddenly the director decided they had to speak the scene and sing a word in between every now and then. Les Mis film trauma's). But they way it's written is fantastic.

On top of the glorious music, haunting story line and interesting character situations.

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 06:32 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#38Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:35pm

Dave28282 said: "Also, it's the only show with a perfect song order, where every lyric, moment and transition makes sense."

No other show has this?!?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#39Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:40pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Ok, but are we all just going to act like Miss Saigon isn't super problematic?  "

Did you miss all the other threads that have addressed this over and over?

Also, OP keeps saying "play," probably because he thinks musicals have "screenplays," so maybe let's move onto something else.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

A0326T
#40Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:43pm

Miss Saigon was one of the British imports of that time .... lush, sung-thru, pop operas like LesMiz, Phantom and Cats, of the 1980s. It was a popular style of theatre then and it worked for us. gimmicky yes but so is the turntable in LesMiz, chandelier and the tire ascending to heaven. that being said ... it is theater and it's live. it is a medium but it's not a movie. so there will be no screenplay. I liked the era of the British invasion (including Sunset Boulevard, Blood Brothers, Chess)

Capeguy Profile Photo
Capeguy
#41Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:45pm

Apparently, you are not aware that Miss Saigon is based on the opera Madama Butterfly which was based on a play by David Belasco. It is set against the war and the aftermath. Read about the opera and then the Broadway version may make more sense to you. AND, theater does not have screenplays.

GeorgeandDot
#42Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:45pm

LizzieCurry said: "GeorgeandDot said: "Ok, but are we all just going to act like Miss Saigon isn't super problematic?  "

Did you miss all the other threads that have addressed this over and over?

Also, OP keeps saying "play," probably because he thinks musicals have "screenplays," so maybe let's move onto something else.

Yes.  I'm actually fairly new to posting here.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#44Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:48pm

haterobics said: "Dave28282 said: "Also, it's the only show with a perfect song order, where every lyric, moment and transition makes sense."

"

Maybe Phantom. All the songs make sense in that one too. They either are performances in the performance (like Phantom starts with Hannibal/Think of me and Miss Saigon starts with the dreamland performance, which makes the transition very natural), or very well written songs whenever characters express their thoughts.

Yes, most other shows have far fetched (ensemble) songs "I'm so angry and poor, my child needs milk, arm up in the air and one feet stamping on the ground on the exact count to show I'm angry, preferably shoutng the word "angry", fall into musical cliche's or dances that makes it feel like a typical musical parody. Also bad  writing in scenes, lyrics and songs. Phantom and Miss Saigon avoid these traps. They have a very clever way of keeping the "flow" and emotion natural.

For example, can you imagine Christine in Phantom singing. "My name is Christine, Yes my name is Christine, and then the ensemble replying "Her name is Christine, yes her name is christine and then repeating her name 20 times and turn their heads to the audience on the final chord while shouting the name "Christine" once more?" Well, that's what happens in certain popular shows right now. Not natural. But bad writing and it makes it a cheap, easy musical parody.

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 06:48 PM

A0326T
#45Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 7:18pm

may I recommend viewing: Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket or Platoon... there you will see plenty of combat. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#46Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:36pm

Dave28282 said: "Also, it's the only show with a perfect song order, where every lyric, moment and transition makes sense."

Oh, you haven't heard about this?  It's a riot!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#47Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:48pm

OP, I've never sunk to insulting anyone on this board in all my time here. For you, I will make an exception. You are truly a moron.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#48Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:02pm

Why do you think it's ok to call a high school kid a moron? Messed up. 

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#49Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:29pm

SuddenlySeymour3 said: "It might help to watch the documentary  LAST DAYS IN VIETNAM (on Netflix), for some context, before recruiting Michael Bay "

And produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. 

Videos