pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17- Page 4

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#75Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 9:56am

@Big Apple2. Yes, to an extent, but for starters you need to reduce the gross by 10% to come up with the net gross that is available to the production. And then you need to recognize that the week in which there is an announcement of recoupment is not the same as the week in which the show recouped. There is no requirement to announce at all, and there is no urgency. Moreover, determining if a show has in fact recouped requires that the full accounting be completed and that can take some time. So if you make the deduction and then shave a week or 2 off then you should be closer. There are other factors as well, including the impact of pre-recoupment royalty arrangements and any deferrals that have to be accounted for before you have technically recouped. 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#76Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 9:59am

Callum_brown1 said: "Does Chicago always have these kinds of numbers?  

Well, they recently had Ryoko Yonekura as Roxie.  During her initial run as Roxie in 2012, Chicago grosses a bit over 1 million.  The producers were hoping to recapture that magic.  The weekly numbers are good for Chicago.  

"

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#77Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 10:43am

I thought "Groundhog Day" had the best name recognition title of any show in two years, and because it was straight male driven story, unlike another show with name recognition that failed, say, "9 to 5," a perfect new option for the mythical tired businessman.  But remember "Rocky" (same star not a factor, but ironic).  I thought "Rocky" was critic proof, title alone.  Is a puzzlement, always.  I talked to a tired businessman last week at TKTS who really liked "War Paint."  Seriously.  Maybe the businessmen are still tired as hell, but more adventuresome.  Or not. Ain't no way of figuring out nuthin' on B'way.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Liza's Headband
#78Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 10:49am

DEH's capitalization was not 9.5 mill, despite what the announcement claims. It was higher. The weekly operating costs for DEH hover around $600k. Relatively cheap to run for a smash-hit musical. 

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#79Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 11:02am

Still positively shocked at how well Come From Away is doing - but I have noticed that they are pushing a bit, so I wonder how their advance looks. I've checked a few dates and it isn't selling how it was, I'm really pulling for them to continue doing as well as they are doing.

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#80Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 11:25am

Oof, looks like a death knell for Groundhog Day... I've seen it three times already (first time I've ever gone to a show more than twice) but will probably go another two times before it closes. 

I agree with someone above about the startling lack of marketing for GHD - I've seen ads plastered all over NY for pretty much every show in town except for Groundhog Day. The exception of course is the Times Square billboard, which does nothing to interest or intrigue passers-by. They even just replaced it with a new one - that is just as uninteresting!! And the choice of TV performances were serious missteps. ("Philanthropy" on GMA, smh) 

I'm glad they made it to 100 performances, at least they got the well-deserved dignity of that milestone. 

Curious, has there ever been a show that struggled very much and managed to turn itself around with fresh marketing or the like? I imagine producers are loathe to throw good money after bad, but it's pretty sad to give up on a really wonderful show with so much heart.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#81Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 11:31am

I mean they could try and stunt cast but not the easiest show for a celeb. 

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#82Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 11:40am

RippedMan said: "I mean they could try and stunt cast but not the easiest show for a celeb. 

"

Hmm, they could pretty easily put a celeb in for Nancy... I'm pretty sure she wears the same costume throughout the show, she has a solo and a little story line, and hooks up with the lead :)

Updated On: 7/18/17 at 11:40 AM

Jarethan
#83Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 11:45am

yankeefan7 said: ""I think Hello Dolly is too much about the star.  I am surprised that the advertising campaign isn't starting to reduce focus on Bette and increase it on the show, since most of her contractual period is pretty much sold out.  The show received great reviews, and is a love letter to musical theatre audiences, who seem to love it whether Donna or Bette is on, but only seem to want to pay for Bette.  It is a bad omen for the future if a five time nominee, 2 time Tony winner can't sell tickets so early in the run...unless Bette is going to play the role until she drops dead after giving about 4,500 performances.  Ticket buyers seem to have concluded they are seeing a star vanity production instead of a wonderful production of a great show. "

Excellent post. "Hello Dolly" is starting to remind me of "The Producers". If you did not see the stars than people did not seem to be interested in the show. 

I have been thinking that for awhile, but it is becoming more evident.  Being a businessman and making a fortune during a Bette period, Scott Rudin may not care.  He's already got a great return on his investment.  But for all the people who aren't seeing it, they are missing a wonderful opportunity.  I do think there is a difference between The Producers and Hello Dolly, however.  The Producers just wasn't as good without Lane and Broderick.  I loved The Producers -- the first time I saw it was a musical highlight of my lifetime, I laughed so often and so long -- with Lane and Broderick.  I liked it every other time I saw it and came close to disliking it when Lewis J Stadlen was Max, because I did not like his interpretation (I normally enjoy his work, just not as Max); but I never loved it without them.  

But Hello Dolly is (sacrilege) in reality not quite as dependent on who plays the lead; hell, I loved it with  Ginger Rogers, Betty Grable, Martha Raye, Ethel Merman and leads in a couple of Stock Productions, although none held a candle to Channing and Bailey.  (HD was every bit as much Bailey's as it was Channings (and now Midler's) -- just as Gypsy was as much Lansbury's or Lupone's as it was Merman's).

An intertesting dilemma when the HUGE STAR is so associated with an open-ended show.  When Houdini was cancelled, I remember thinking... 'probably, just as well; it would have become the Hugh Jackman musical and interest would drop after he heaves; regardless of how good the show is, it would be the Hugh Jackman show without Hugh Jackman.  If it ever sees the light of day, it stands a better chance of running forever if it is not associated with a huge star.  

Jarethan
#84Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 12:00pm

Malka2 said: "Oof, looks like a death knell for Groundhog Day... I've seen it three times already (first time I've ever gone to a show more than twice) but will probably go another two times before it closes. 

I agree with someone above about the startling lack of marketing for GHD - I've seen ads plastered all over NY for pretty much every show in town except for Groundhog Day. The exception of course is the Times Square billboard, which does nothing to interest or intrigue passers-by. They even just replaced it with a new one - that is just as uninteresting!! And the choice of TV performances were serious missteps. ("Philanthropy" on GMA, smh) 

I'm glad they made it to 100 performances, at least they got the well-deserved dignity of that milestone. 

Curious, has there ever been a show that struggled very much and managed to turn itself around with fresh marketing or the like? I imagine producers are loathe to throw good money after bad, but it's pretty sad to give up on a really wonderful show with so much heart.

The Tonys have benefitted some shows incredibly, e.g., Smoky Joes's Cafe (a piece of dreck if ever there was one), winners that were not playing to full houses, but that ship has sailed.  I really can't think of anything, other than a few times when a show has been re-energized when the lead left and was replaced by a bigger star, e.g., Burton in Equus, or the replacement got great reviews, e.g., Mcintyre in Annie Get Your Gun, but they are rare.  GHD is dying, just a question of how long it will drag on before throwing in the towel.  I imagine they are pretty much there after last week, unless they re-bound a little this week and can squeak along until late August (I didn't realize until last year that summer increases seem to drop sizably about 2 weeks before Labor Day).  If not sooner, I am guessing it will close before Labor Day.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#85Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 12:03pm

RippedMan said: "I mean they could try and stunt cast but not the easiest show for a celeb. "

Given Dave Malloy in Comet and Sara in Waitress, they could get Tim to do Phil. I'm not sure if Tim Minchin has the draw to sustain that and make it worth it.

What they really need to do is to get Bill Murray to play the beggar (Mr. Johnson)...

Updated On: 7/18/17 at 12:03 PM

Jarethan
#86Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 12:19pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "RippedMan said: "I mean they could try and stunt cast but not the easiest show for a celeb. "

Given Dave Malloy in Comet and Sara in Waitress, they could get Tim to do Phil. I'm not sure if Tim Minchin has the draw to sustain that and make it worth it.

What they really need to do is to get Bill Murray to play the beggar (Mr. Johnson)...

Sara Bareilles is a major performing star and Waitress was already doing well -- although clearly at a fork in the road -- when she joined it.  Dave Malloy did not help the box office one iota.  Tim Minchin would have no positive impact on the box office, would probably hurt it.  Even regular theatre goers who do not want to see GHD know that Andy Karl got excellent reviews.  Why would they skip Karl but go to see it with the composer in the lead, essentially a gimmick.  Minchin may be a star somewhere, but I never heard of him before Matilda, and only vaguely then).

Won't make a difference.  I really don't think they have any option out there.  I hope I am wrong, since -- although I have no interest in seeing it -- I always think it is good to have theatres filled.

Updated On: 7/18/17 at 12:19 PM

froote
#87Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 12:23pm

Not saying Minchin is a box office draw but you can't compare him to Dave Malloy who is a complete unknown.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#88Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 1:22pm

for these purposes both are unknown

froote
#89Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 1:33pm

Minchin is known for things other than his musicals and Malloy is not. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#90Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 1:40pm

Not sure where to post this, but Carleigh Bettiol just shared on her Instagram story that she's joining the cast of Bandstand. So a closing notice is likely not that imminent for them?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#91Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 2:13pm

Isn't there a video of someone who joined the JCS revival with 2 weeks left before it closed? So just because someone is joining the show doesn't necessarily mean it's not closing soon. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

trpguyy
#92Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 3:00pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Not sure where to post this, but Carleigh Bettiol just shared on her Instagram story that she's joining the cast of Bandstand. So a closing notice is likely not that imminent for them?"

All it means is that the producers are fulfilling their contractual obligation to not downsize the AEA company. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#93Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 4:11pm

froote said: "Minchin is known for things other than his musicals and Malloy is not. "

That's irrelevant. The people you would need to sell tickets to have never heard of either. 

froote
#94Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 4:18pm

Tourists would know Minchin (UK, Australia, New Zealand etc.), he tours regularly. Likely not enough to make it a success but Jarethan's comparison to Malloy is nonsensical as that wasn't done in any way for box office success.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#95Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 4:49pm

froote said: "Likely not enough to make it a success"  

that being the point...

froote
#96Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 5:02pm

Yes and as I said in my first post 'not saying Minchin is a box office draw'.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#97Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 5:15pm

I just hope they figure out a way to tour GHD

Dallas Theatre Fan
#98Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 5:36pm

I would like to add on to the comments I had yesterday concerning GHD.

I never really understood why the producers decided to have its tryout in London if their end goal was to open it on Broadway. If they were smart they should have transferred the show to the West End for about a year to build anticipation for Broadway like they did with Matilda. I think they would had have a better chance because it seems most shows next year are family oriented, (Frozen and Harry Potter) while this year, the show is lost in the dear Even Hanson, Come from Away and, The Great Come sea.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#99Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17
Posted: 7/18/17 at 5:43pm

Dallas Theatre Fan said: "I would like to add on to the comments I had yesterday concerning GHD.

I never really understood why the producers decided to have its tryout in London if their end goal was to open it on Broadway. If they were smart they should have transferred the show to the West End for about a year to build anticipation for Broadway like they did with Matilda. I think they would had have a better chance because it seems most shows next year are family oriented, (Frozen and Harry Potter) while this year, the show is lost in the dear Even Hanson, Come from Away and, The Great Come sea.

"

Just a conjecture: the role of Phil is extremely taxing and had GHD stayed another year in West End it might have been hard to transfer Andy Karl as well. I mean he's doing the show right now with a blown out knee.