pixeltracker

Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?- Page 3

Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?

broadwayboy223
#50Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 8:58pm

I maintain that I know few people who go to see MFL for a "star " Higgins. I am curious by Lauren and would have actually liked to see her Funny Girl. Is the delayed casting a sign they may still be looking at other candidates for both roles?

hmph Profile Photo
hmph
#51Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 9:25pm

pupscotch said: "I'll admit that I don't know much about Lauren Ambrose, but I can't seem to find any videos of her using her soprano. I'm sure it's lovely, but everything I've seen has been very belt-y.

"

That's exactly where I am. Seen the belt-y, seen the jazz-ish, but nothing like what I imagine the role would require.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#52Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 9:32pm

For Broadway nowadays, you need a "name" - even for a show as beloved as MFL. Sad but true.

AllThatJazz2
#53Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 9:38pm

broadwayboy223 said: "I maintain that I know few people who go to see MFL for a "star " Higgins. I am curious by Lauren and would have actually liked to see her Funny Girl. Is the delayed casting a sign they may still be looking at other candidates for both roles?"

While I plan on seeing MFL regardless of who is cast as Eliza or Higgins (and I too am curious about Lauren and looking forward to her performance if she indeed has the part), I have a group of seven here whose decision to buy tickets and travel to NYC with me will be based entirely on what star winds up playing Higgins, as well as additional people who have asked me to notify them as soon as word comes down so they can decide whether to bother seeing MFL during its run. Not saying it's right or wrong to have that be the deciding factor, but there is definitely a contingent to whom that will matter. 

jtishere
#54Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 11:33pm

It's a wonderment that here we are - knocking at September's door - and casting has yet to be announced. 

M.O.A.I. Profile Photo
M.O.A.I.
#55Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 3:59am

I imagine Ambrose may be signed, but they're waiting to ink a deal with Higgins before announcing them both together.

Allegra23
#56Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 10:08am

I have to say, I have no affection towards to MFL as a show really (don't like the movie either), but if they can get Colin Firth to do Broadway, I will fly in to see him, no matter what the show. And my friend would second this.

broadwayboy223
#57Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 11:14am

What do you all think of Carmen Cusack as Eliza? She has a great soprano and is close in age to Ambrose. I wonder if she auditioned. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#58Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 11:30am

I hope someone writes a book about this revival, how it came about etc. The casting alone would fill 100 pages, and I'm here for it!

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#59Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 11:37am

I expect Cusack would be great.  But Ambrose is an inspired choice.  

Ambrose is a superb actress, sings beautifully. looks very young, and I can't for the life of me understand why so many on bww are insisting she's wrong for Eliza.  For me she's perfect for Pygmalion and with there being a question whether she has the notes, equally perfect for My Fair Lady.  And I doubt very much Sher would cast her if Eliza is out of her vocal range.  

And while the next level of stardom has long eluded her, this may be her time.  Hell. she's certainly a bigger name than a great many women well known among Broadway musical aficionados who have been suggested for the role on this board (many of whom should also be considered, and many no doubt have been). 

Updated On: 8/29/17 at 11:37 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#60Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 11:38am

broadwayboy223 said: "What do you all think of Carmen Cusack as Eliza? She has a great soprano and is close in age to Ambrose. I wonder if she auditioned. 

"

Since she worked with Sher before, I'm sure he looked at her or at least thought about her.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Public User Profile Photo
Public User
#61Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 5:16pm

People question it because her singing style doesn't exactly fit this type of traditional show, no one has heard of her for 15 years, and she's no "ingenue".  All of that will be forgotten if the reviews are raves.  

yeah
#62Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 6:37pm

According to her IMDB page, she's classically trained in opera.  Whether or not that's true - who knows?  

There is a snippet in the film "Psycho Beach Party," where she uses a legit soprano voice, so, I wouldn't be surprise if she is trained.  

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#63Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/30/17 at 3:38pm

Okay for real what the heck's happening with this casting notice? When is it coming? At this point I'd be happy with a simple confirmation from LCT that they're still doing the show. I don't think anyone wants a Funny Girl repeat.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#64Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/30/17 at 4:08pm

Valentina3 said: "Okay for real what the heck's happening with this casting notice? When is it coming? At this point I'd be happy with a simple confirmation from LCT that they're still doing the show. I don't think anyone wants a Funny Girl repeat."

Seriously though. At this point I'm starting to think they're not even doing it; even a teaser image would be better than what we've got right now. 

M.O.A.I. Profile Photo
M.O.A.I.
#65Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/30/17 at 4:23pm

Calm the hell down, guys. Y'all have no patience. It's months before rehearsals will start. Like I said, odds are they're looking for a Higgins so they can announce together.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#66Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/30/17 at 4:24pm

Well the show doesn't open until March so it's a while off.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#67Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/30/17 at 4:37pm

Looking back at the announcements for KING AND I:

-- McMullan artwork was released September 24, 2014

-- Full cast announced/member presale October 9, 2014

-- Tickets on-sale to general public October 19, 2014

(Previews began March 12, 2015)

For a non-LCT Bartlett Sher example: Jessica Hecht and Adam Kantor were announced for FIDDLER ON THE ROOF on June 30, 2015 and the rest of the cast was announced August 19, ahead of previews starting November 12, 2015.

If we haven't heard anything in 2-3 months, then maybe we should start being concerned, but it's still really early. And for the artwork, maybe they're waiting to see what color someone's hair is or their body type. 

Updated On: 8/30/17 at 04:37 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#68Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/30/17 at 4:41pm

Yes, the full cast of TKAI was announced in mid-October 2014, but the show's two leads—Kelli and Ken—were announced on June 30, 2014. We're now about two months after that point in the calendar year. It'd be asking a lot to know the full ensemble right now, but wanting to know our Eliza and Higgins at this point is fair game.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#69Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/30/17 at 4:57pm

Not to mention they'd want to start selling the tickets soon and I don't think they can expect a good advance without telling buyers who the 2 leads are. I think we can expect the 3 announcements (principal cast, ticket on sale date, and poster art/teaser) to come soon. Preferably no later than 2-3 weeks from now. I think a major revival like this should be doing these in a slow rollout fashion, so it can drum up maximum buzz by slowly releasing details and always staying in the news before having to spend any money on advertisements. (Don't give me the LCT is a non-profit speech. Non-profits are simply that - "not for profit", they are not "we are okay with loses"Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?

broadwayboy223
#70Lauren Ambrose as Eliza Doolittle?
Posted: 8/30/17 at 5:07pm

Is it possible they are still doing callbacks for Eliza and Higgins?