Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?

CollegeDreamer
#1Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 4:42pm

Is Jersey Boy's starting a third national tour or is this still the 2nd, just picking back up? 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 4:44pm

This can probably be considered the third since they eliminated one male and one female role.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#3Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 4:51pm

And 70% of the set.  All that is up there now is trash.

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#4Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 11:31pm

SmokeyLady said: "And 70% of the set.  All that is up there now is trash.

How do you know it's trash? The new tour has not even gone out yet? Kind of a nasty thing to say when the cast just started rehearsals and the don't play their first performance for a month.

"

"He wants to know who cares. I care you stupid fool we all care..." John Wilkes Booth (Assassins)

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#5Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 1:06am

This can probably be considered the third since they eliminated one male and one female role.

Whoa, which tracks?  How is that even possible?  Everything is so specific.

LizzieCurry
#6Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 10:18am

I think they eliminated one female swing and combined Norm Waxman with...someone. I'm blanking now.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 10:39am

And 70% of the set.  All that is up there now is trash.

Huh?  The entire set is a simple scaffolding structure with projections and small set pieces.  What are they doing now?  Using backdrops?  Doing a black box set concept?  

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#8Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 11:01am

I like the casting! Tomasso is a good Bob, saw him with First National Tour a while back. Doesn't seem to be an alternate Frankie? Maybe Pesci will just do the matinees. Also I will voice concerns about the set, I saw the tour last October and thought it was smaller already, cocnerned how much smaller it shall get. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#9Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 11:24am

They've been downsizing the band incredibly - there's accompaniment tracks playing a pretty significant part of the orchestra. I was very disappointed when I saw the show a few months ago (in January). It was their 2nd night in that theater but cast looked like they were still trying to figure exits (one guy literally ran from left to right on stage - I could see the stage manager waving their hand it was that bad), and the accompaniment was late twice and it just seemed completely off beat. I asked my friend in the cast why the band wasn't gelling well and he told me that there's no real drums in the show anymore. The ensemble was playing 3/4 roles per person, and while that's not all that uncommon, cutting more people doesn't make this already problematic show any better. Might as well just do a concert tour of Four Season songs.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#10Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 12:23pm

It is very bare bones.  Even the scaffolding .  And yes the music was in tracks except for a drummer and a keyboard.  Pretty lousy state of affairs.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#11Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 2:36pm

So is this tour on one of the lower tiers? Or the lowest?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

LizzieCurry
#12Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 2:41pm

Short Engagement Touring Cat. 4; $733/week contract/salary pending

https://www.broadwayworld.com/equity-audition/JERSEY-BOYS-National-Tour-2017-15885

approximatura
#13Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 3:21pm

i'm sorry, that's not even remotely true.

last year's tour eliminated three live horn players, those lines were adapted and are now played live as additional lines for the three keyboard players;  beyond that, two guitarists, a bass player, and a drummer held to their old parts.  there is not a single note of tracking used in JERSEY BOYS, not a single note of the vocals, not a single note of the band.  in fact, only two cues are even on click:  CES SOIREÉS-LA (to facilitiate a quadrophonic effect for the sound department), and WHO LOVES YOU (to synchronize with the animated video on the back wall).  but every note the audience hears is the band playing live to that click;  no audience audio rides the click.  here are the facts:  a band of seven played every performance, live, last year, and our "further reduction" this year will combine the two guitar chairs into a single, more complex chair, dropping it to six chairs, but the band will still be live. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#14Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 3:25pm

I know what I saw at the Ahmanson .  There was a keyboard and a drummer .  And the show seemed very small. 

LindaSmyth
#15Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 3:45pm

Yes, just look for videos of the international tour. Very, very cheap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X7LFh9oNWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTLxOWFG82c

LizzieCurry
#16Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 3:48pm

The cast in the aisles. Wow. I wonder if that's how it'll be at New World Stages!

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#17Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 3:48pm

Looked into the cut tracks further.  It looks like yes the female swing is cut (what will they do if one of them is out!).  TWO male tracks are cut, the Norm Waxman track, and the Barry Belson track (which is combined into the Joey track now).  Also meaning there isn't one person of colour in the show now. 

Miss Jezebel DuPree2
#18Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 3:52pm

CALLING MATT BOGART......

LizzieCurry
#19Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 4:11pm

Tag said: "Looked into the cut tracks further.  It looks like yes the female swing is cut (what will they do if one of them is out!).  TWO male tracks are cut, the Norm Waxman track, and the Barry Belson track (which is combined into the Joey track now).  Also meaning there isn't one person of colour in the show now. "

WhaaaaaAAAaaaaaAAAT

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#20Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 4:11pm

In that video Frankie does the crazy high solo at the end. Weird.

approximatura
#21Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 4:18pm

i know what you saw at the ahmanson too:  the show's drummer playing on the deck, and the show's associate conductor and keyboard 2 cam being winched on to be visible as of BYE BYE BABY, when he appears as one of the "New Seasons" (but he was playing in the wings until that time).  whole show.  live.

and i know what you also saw at the ahmanson even though you didn't realize it:  conductor/keyboard 3 taking a bow at the end (after playing all night at the off-stage band station), keyboard 1, onstage during SUNDAY KIND OF LOVE and MOODY'S MOOD (but playing all night off-stage), guitar 1 and bass (you only saw them onstage during SUNDAY KIND OF LOVE, MY MOTHER'S EYES, MOODY'S MOOD, BOWS and EXIT MUSIC, but they were playing all night off-stage).

and i know what you *didn't* see at the ahmanson:  guitar 2.  but he was there. and playing. and by the way, in exchange for not appearing onstage during the show, and not taking a bow, guitar 2 is not required to wear pants. 

seven musicians on payroll, seven musicians showing up nightly to play the entire show live. 

sorry to burst your illusions, but them's the facts.

Updated On: 8/29/17 at 04:18 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#22Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 4:21pm

In that video Frankie does the crazy high solo at the end. Weird.

Used to be part of the Barry Belson track.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#23Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 4:26pm

LindaSmyth said: "Yes, just look for videos of the international tour. Very, very cheap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X7LFh9oNWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTLxOWFG82c

"

That audience member who was the only one up the entire time, was my favorite part

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#24Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 4:44pm

approximatura said: "i know what you saw at the ahmanson too:  the show's drummer playing on the deck, and the show's associate conductor and keyboard 2 cam being winched on to be visible as of BYE BYE BABY, when he appears as one of the "New Seasons" (but he was playing in the wings until that time).  whole show.  live.

and i know what you also saw at the ahmanson even though you didn't realize it:  conductor/keyboard 3 taking a bow at the end (after playing all night at the off-stage band station), keyboard 1, onstage during SUNDAY KIND OF LOVE and MOODY'S MOOD (but playing all night off-stage), guitar 1 and bass (you only saw them onstage during SUNDAY KIND OF LOVE, MY MOTHER'S EYES, MOODY'S MOOD, BOWS and EXIT MUSIC, but they were playing all night off-stage).

and i know what you *didn't* see at the ahmanson:  guitar 2.  but he was there. and playing. and by the way, in exchange for not appearing onstage during the show, and not taking a bow, guitar 2 is not required to wear pants. 

seven musicians on payroll, seven musicians showing up nightly to play the entire show live. 

sorry to burst your illusions, but them's the facts.

"

WHATEVER.  I know what I saw and how I felt watching this sh*t on stage.   Ripped off.  I saw the original Broadway and Las Vegas companies and liked the show enough to check out this last tour.  Extremely disappointing.  The vocals were live as Vallas was obviously straining.  And if the music was live then that's worst because it defenitly sounded canned.  The whole thing had a run down bus and truck feel to it.

Updated On: 8/29/17 at 04:44 PM

CollegeDreamer
#25Jersey Boys 3rd national tour?
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:28pm

Wow.. I didn't realize how scaled down the show has gotten, until I watched the videos from above. Ouch.