K Pop (Previews)

Jjohansan
#25K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 9/26/17 at 2:09pm

There isn't a traditional intermission, but there is a section in the show where you have about ten minutes to yourself where you can use the bathroom and grab a drink of water.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#26K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 9/26/17 at 2:11pm

^^Yes, but it is close to the end. Catch your breath, grab a drink, then it goes into a 20 minute finale, and you're done.

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#27K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:11pm

Sounds interesting.  Any discounts?   Looks like tickets are $76 or $126 for premium.  Did anyone here get premium, and is it worth it?

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#28K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:25pm

raddersons said: "^^Yes, but it is close to the end. Catch your breath, grab a drink, then it goes into a 20 minute finale, andyou're done."

In addition to that break prior to the finale, as they're gathering everyone into the main concert area, I also had a 10 minute break during the experience. The order that I saw the scenes was F8, then MWE, then Special K, and there was a break between the F8 and MWE scenes, during which we were directed to use the restroom and take photos in front of a step and repeat if we so desired.

Jjohansan
#29K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:28pm

raddersons said: "^^Yes, but it is close to the end. Catch your breath, grab a drink, then it goes into a 20 minute finale, andyou're done."

When your break occurs depends on the order in which you see the show.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#30K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:46pm

Seems like the break is always after F8 -- they were the last ones for me, and we were the first ones in the finale room for around 10 minutes before others started to filter in. Because the finale break and F8 break were combined for me, I didn't realize there was more than one. 

oh-bwayhereicome Profile Photo
oh-bwayhereicome
#31K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/5/17 at 1:37am

Anyone know if this might transfer to another space after it closes? The extension sold out so quickly and its been getting solid reviews. I also want to know if this is a must-see, like worth waiting for in the cancellation line for hours.

mpkie
#32K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/5/17 at 2:12am

Kicking myself for not buying a ticket even though I was super excited to hear about it before tickets went on sale.

But I wanted to ask: Are any of you into K-Pop or have some introduction to it prior to seeing this show? I used to follow K-Pop several years back (before I got into theater). The machine that is K-Pop used to fascinate me.

Just curious if anyone has a perspective to share if they have this existing intersection of interests.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#33K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/5/17 at 7:17am

So, what is the story of the musical?

jbird5
#34K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/8/17 at 10:27am

A little hit or miss but more hit than miss.  Katie Lee Hill was adorable.  Being 2 ft away from Ashley Park as she melted down was awesome.  Unfortunately it was her last show.  Apparently she has another job lined up.

dave1606
#35K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/9/17 at 3:33pm

I saw this on Saturday and loved it. I think the execution in between parts could be cleaned up a bit and the show could be cut down by 30 minutes or so. At nearly 3 hours its a long time to be standing, though there are moments where you sit which are appreciated!

Essentially there are four parts to the show. After a quick intro you are led either to the guys or girl band. I started with the girl band, then the guy band, and finally the diva before a final concert. My boyfriend commented its more of a play with music and I think that is fair as most of the lyrics do not forward the story. 

I kept marveling at how ambitious this show is. With the exception of Here Lies Love I don't think I've ever seen an immersive musical like this, certainly not one that moves through so many rooms, so many that have sound an lighting elements. There were a few points where it was me and only a few others getting a performance by an actor. That intimacy was really special.

Some of the storylines are more successful than others. I thought the boy band and the divas story were a bit more compelling than the girls story which kept us in the dance rehearsal room for too long. 

Overall this is a very special show show that I hope has a future life! Also, the ART theater is really nice and seems to be very new. Anyone have any insight on this space? This is not the normal ARS nova space.

jbird5
#36K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/9/17 at 5:02pm

^

I know MCC is moving into that space next year. They will have several theaters there ala the Flea’s new digs.

AntV
#37K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/15/17 at 12:24am

What happens when you get to the listening room and the vocal coach picks 8 people to follow her?

I was left behind in the listening room which just has headphones with the same song sung by each member of the girl group. Then XO comes in and does some quick choreography before ending with "and oh, i ****ing rap," foreshadowing her rap solo during the concert.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#38K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/15/17 at 12:27am

You just go into a practice room and watch the vocal coach work very strictly and rigorously with one of the girls for a few minutes. 

FrizzyAnya
#39K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/16/17 at 12:55pm

I thought this was an awesome experience. They have an under 30 y/o rush for $25. My friend and I got there at 2:30 for a 3:00 show and got the last two spots. A bunch of people were turned away. 

For that price it was a steal. I recommend it to the under 30 crowd.

The experience is slightly different for everyone. My friend and I didn't travel together (which was fine with us) so we were able to compare notes about small differences. For example I was pulled alone into one room "to give feedback" to one of the characters on her pronunciation when she was working on it. My friend listened to music recordings during one part instead of seeing the vocal coach train one of the girls. It was really cool and felt personalized because of that dynamic.

oh-bwayhereicome Profile Photo
oh-bwayhereicome
#40K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/18/17 at 8:57pm

Anyone know if a cast recording is coming out? I know that from Max Vernon's website they recording some songs. 

I would literally kill to have a recording of this show. Its so good.

Emmaloucbway
#41K Pop (Previews)
Posted: 10/20/17 at 12:44pm

For those asking for a cast album, it looks like it might happen!

Get tweeting!!!

https://twitter.com/mayitheater/status/921391306873757697

Videos