St. James renovations

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#1St. James renovations
Posted: 9/24/17 at 6:05am

NY 1's On Stage covered a story this weekend on the expansion of the stage renovation at the St. James.  

They mentioned the expansion of restroom facilities but I am wondering if I will have the luxury of seating in a new seat for Frozen.  Anyone know if the renovation plans include new seats?

secretschuylersister Profile Photo
secretschuylersister
Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#3St. James renovations
Posted: 9/24/17 at 7:56am

Yes, I saw that photo which is what made me wonder about this in the first place.  If they remove the seats to get the equipment in for the stage renovation would they return the old seats later? 

Hopefully not but that info was explicitly missing from the articles and NY1 piece.  You'd think that if they were installing new seats that they would be hyping that too.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4St. James renovations
Posted: 9/24/17 at 8:57am

Is this story online somewhere?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#5St. James renovations
Posted: 9/24/17 at 4:53pm

I saw at the broadway flea today they were selling seat cushions from the theater at the St James booth. I take it they’ve already started ripping out old seats for new ones. Obviously not a very official source, but one can presume.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#6St. James renovations
Posted: 9/24/17 at 5:17pm

It can be assuming from that photo, and the lack of regard for the seat cushions, that you'll be seeing new ones once Frozen opens.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#7St. James renovations
Posted: 9/24/17 at 5:56pm

I could swear I noticed today the St. James is now outfitted with LED screens on the marquee, which would explain why they never put up a Frozen poster when they hung up the rest of the signage. Excited to see them turn it on!

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#8St. James renovations
Posted: 9/24/17 at 7:37pm

raddersons said: "I saw at the broadway flea today they were selling seat cushions from the theater at the St James booth. I take it they’ve already started ripping out old seats for new ones. Obviously not a very official source, but one can presume."

Ewww! Who would one a theater seat cushion that's been sat on by thousands of...people? 

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#9St. James renovations
Posted: 9/24/17 at 8:09pm

They also sold the St. James box seats for $500 a piece.

Hairspray0901
#10St. James renovations
Posted: 9/24/17 at 10:26pm

David10086 said: "raddersons said: "I saw at the broadway flea today they were selling seat cushions from the theater at the St James booth. I take it they’ve already started ripping out old seats for new ones. Obviously not a very official source, but one can presume."

Ewww! Who would one a theater seat cushion that's been sat on by thousands of...people?
"

I wasn't at the flea market today but people would presumably want them because it's a piece of theatre history. The same reason people spent thousands for Yankee Stadium seats (which were in pretty terrible shape).

JustAnotherNewYorker
#11St. James renovations
Posted: 9/24/17 at 10:35pm

Hairspray0901 said: "David10086 said: "raddersons said: "I saw at the broadway flea today they were selling seat cushions from the theater at the St James booth. I take it they’ve already started ripping out old seats for new ones. Obviously not a very official source, but one can presume."

"

I wasn't at the flea market today but people would presumably want them because it's a piece of theatre history. The same reason people spent thousands for Yankee Stadium seats (which were in pretty terrible shape).
"

Yes, but at least those were not cloth. I agree with David10086 (despite the fact that some of my friends bought the seats)

theater_tech
#12St. James renovations
Posted: 9/25/17 at 12:20am

During the day St. James was removing the chairs, some girl went dumpster diving and brought home one of the cushions. She was hugging it in her picture on twitter.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#13St. James renovations
Posted: 9/25/17 at 12:26am

Is there a way to view the NY1 video without being a subscriber? I can’t subscribe since im not an NY resident.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#14St. James renovations
Posted: 9/25/17 at 12:49am

VotePeron said: "I could swear I noticed today the St. James is now outfitted withLED screens on the marquee, which would explain why they never putup a Frozen poster when they hung up the rest of the signage. Excited to see them turn it on!"

This is very exciting news!

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#15St. James renovations
Posted: 9/25/17 at 5:54am

@Call_Me_Jorge:  I tried to link the story but unfortunately you do need to a subscriber. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#16St. James renovations
Posted: 9/25/17 at 1:03pm

theater_tech said: "During the day St. James was removing the chairs, some girl went dumpster diving and brought home one of the cushions. She was hugging it in her picture on twitter."

Double Ewwww! I can only imagine what's been on those cushions and what I'd be bringing 'home' with me - especially with the bedbug scare in NYC a few years ago (and warnings about theater seats). 

The stadium seats - like someone else pointed out - is different. Not made of cloth and stuffing. 

Videos