pixeltracker

Miss Saigon cast takes a knee- Page 4

Miss Saigon cast takes a knee

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#75Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 11:16pm

Honestly, how dare a group of voting, American citizens express their political views in front of me?  Seriously, right in front of my salad?!?!?!?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#76Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 11:27pm

Some people believe that as long as there is injustice, life should be all politics. For many in this company, there is a reality that, as an actor of color (specifically as an Asian American actor), this will be the most high profile show they will be a part of. If you think the curtain call of their show is an inappropriate time to make this kind of gesture/protest, when else will they have the attention of over 1000 patrons plus the many more that will see it via a viral video of a bootleg? And how is this different from, say, the cast of Grey’s Anatomy posting pictures of themselves kneeling on social media? I’d hardly equate the curtain call music of Miss Saigon with the national anthem, so what gives?

UncleCharlie
#77Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:00am

yankeefan7 said: ""^They had a closing date when they opened. They're a limited run."

"Newsies" was supposedly a limited run and it ran longer. If Miss Saigon had been more successful I am sure it would have kept running.
"

They did this NOW because Trump decided to make this a feud NOW and called an American citizen an SOB NOW and has spent the last 6 days not letting this die down. He even commented to his rich donors at a fundraiser last night he thinks the feud is "going well". That's why people across all walks of life are responding NOW. Not to mention the desire to defy someone who not long ago called people who were themselves or at least were marching with white supremacists "very fine people". Do you have any issue with the president's behavior as well or is that appropriate presidential conduct in your mind?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#78Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 10:09am

BroadwayConcierge said: "The Hamilton tour cast posted a picture on their knees backstage. I don’t really care about what you protest on your own time, but if you’re going to literally force your display of protest onto me in a space where I go for escape (I can’t believe it’s controversial to consider theatergoing as escapist and for personally enjoyable/entertainment reasons these days), then I’m going to pass. Let me go to the theatre and just take in a performance, please."

I have to wonder whether you would make the same assertion if the protest was a reaction to an issue that affected you personally. By any chance, are you white, christian, and heterosexual?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#79Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 10:15am

GeorgeandDot said: "Seriously, right in front of my salad?!?!?!?"

LOL! wink

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

ebizzle
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#81Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 10:27am

Those poor, poor snowflakes who can't handle being exposed to a mild show of solidarity during the curtain call of a Broadway show.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TrChSpHa
#82Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 11:30am

I find it interesting that the article makes no mention of Kaepernick.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#83Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 11:55am

ErikJ972 said: "This is going to make Dave's head explode. It's his favorite show!"

I have already expressed how I feel about the kneeling travesty during the Anthem at the sports game. The Anthem is about the history of the country, including honoring people like Martin Luther King (to give you an idea of the bigger picture, I have explained this better elsewhere but I think you get the point). Grabbing this as an opportunity is characterless, disrespectful and selfish. The Anthem has nothing to do with it. With that said, this situation also creates a bigger race gap than ever before, putting the focus on separation in situations that have nothing to do with it is the core of the problem. This very moment is an example. So not only is it dumb and disrespectful and has it nothing to do with the Anthem, it also works in the opposite direction. Because now we have less equality. Some people might think writing "black power" above your twitter pics is going to generate equality, or pulling the race card when it isn't there (The great comet debacle, the hercules dreamcasting twitter attack on a 16 year old girl, etc), and now, making sure the nation realizes how separated black people should be by disrespecting the Anthem and putting their victim roles above it, is going to generate equality, but really it's not. It's dividing more and more. The situation was not about race. Demanding to make it about race is what happened. It's what some people do in every daily situation and it's what keeps the problem alive. It prevents unity. The game treated all people involved as equals. Why not embrace that and build on it. There should be respect for unity when it's there. And yes, sometimes it's there. Often it's there. In fact, in my situation, it's always there until the other party deliberately separates itself.

You can make every daily situation in your daily life about race as much as you like, but this was not the situation and place to do it. If it was purely to have a wide audience, it's still very disrespectful to the creators of the country including the people who gave their lives for you, but fine, you have your audience, but then if you have that audience, do something that actually cuts wood instead of repeating the thing that is the problem in the first place. Repeating history by hammering on racial differences but this time the other way around to get even. And this is not only about the NFL incident but about the endless list of things we discussed here on this board earlier.

Don't you worry, my head will not explode and I will always see people as people, no matter how much they say they are nothing more than their color, even in the most equal situations, and Miss Saigon is indeed my favorite show and it will stay that way. Just because some actors don't understand life, history and facts (maybe with the best intentions) does not mean I am going to love the show any less. Some people in the show might be black and may be raised with the idea that that is all there is to their idendity too, and they have learned to bring it up in each and every situation even when it has nothing to do with it, so how can I blame them? If they do their job well it's fine with me and I don't care how they reason in their private life.

You should always be aware though that when you're in a Broadway show, your audiences consist of a variety of people with a variety of intelligence levels and standpoints, so disrespecting the Anthem and taking a stand against the creators and the history of your country, incuding the greatest equality fighters there ever were, may not be the best idea. But of course they are free to do it. There are no laws against it or anything. But not seeing the harm it does to the people they are trying to help is naive to say the least.

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 11:55 AM

A0326T
#84Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:02pm

Lot666 said: "GeorgeandDot said: "Seriously, right in front of my salad?!?!?!?"

LOL!wink
"

yes

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#85Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:19pm

Dave28282 said: "(The great comet debacle, the hercules dreamcasting twitter attack on a 16 year old girl, etc)."

Which one are you referring to? The Cynthia Erivo one, or the one dreamcasting a white actress as a Muse? If you're talking about the first one, then yes that was Cynthia just being Cynthia. But if you're talking about the second one, then why shouldn't POC be upset that a white woman is being dreamcast role (or in this case, roles) traditionally played by women of color? Even in the movie. I'm not saying the girl needed to be lambasted like she was, but of course she was gonna be reprimanded. In 2017, that doesn't fly. If we want equality, we won't get closer to that by whitewashing roles that are traditionally played by POC.

But, as I said, I don't know which Twitter incident you're referring to, so I thought I'd just add my two cents just in case.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#86Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:23pm

Thank you, Dave. You get it. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#87Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:23pm

Too long.  Didn't read.  Sorry us colored folks don't know how to behave in public, missah.

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 12:23 PM

BroadwayRox3588
#88Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:24pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Thank you, Dave. You get it."

No, other people get it, too. They just don't align with your views.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#89Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:25pm

Lot666 said: "I have to wonder whether you would make the same assertion if the protest was a reaction to an issue that affected you personally. By any chance, are you white, christian, and heterosexual?"

What an asinine question. This is literally the problem with the country today: where we only legitimize opinions and beliefs through identity politics. Whatever happened to actual ideas? (For the record, I am not all three of those things.)

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#90Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:27pm

It was the first one, Cynthia attacking a girl because the girl had not dreamcast her "as a black woman, in the lead role of Meg".  

Passion and great singing voices were all that was on the poor girl's mind. Until she got a race slap in her face.

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 12:27 PM

BroadwayRox3588
#91Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:31pm

Ah, I gotcha. Well my opinion on that is simple. I think there are women of color who would be perfect for Meg. Just...not Cynthia. 

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#92Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:34pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Ah, I gotcha. Well my opinion on that is simple. I think there are women of color who would be perfect for Meg. Just...not Cynthia."

I totally agree. Maybe Cynthia should focus on other traits than race for once, when reasoning? Because then she would find out that she is by no means the right type for the role. Which makes her attack even sillier. But that disconnect from reality does show her main focus and priorities.

A great metaphor for the point of this discussion by the way. 

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 12:34 PM

TrChSpHa
#93Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:53pm

Why is kneeling during the anthem to protest the inequalities Black people face in this country/police brutality an issue for you? How is it “creating” a racial divide that’s already been there? You are so obtuse and delusional, at this point I think you’re trolling. There has NEVER been equality in this country where heterosexual white men put their well-being above everyone and everything else.

”Rising above it” and holding hands in a circle is not going to make the issues go away. 

45 is the one who made it about the anthem. Kaepernick was kneeling last year as a way of telling America that it still has a problem with race. Chester Cheetoh called those protesting “sons of bitches” while the white-supremecists in Charlottesville were “very fine people.” Kaepernick wanted police to stop shooting us.

If these Broadway shows want to kneel during their curtain calls, that’s fine. But don’t make it something it’s not, especially if they’re only doing it as an “eff you” to Herr Orange.

ebizzle
#94Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:56pm

PREACH!!!!!!

Why are you mad they're kneeling but not mad when black people get killed for being black?? Oh that's right but I'm making this about race because obviously racial inequality is a myth etc

TrChSpHa said: "

Why is kneeling during the anthem to protest the inequalities Black people facein this country/police brutality an issue for you? How is it “creating” a racial divide that’s already been there? You are so obtuse and delusional, at this point I think you’re trolling. There has NEVER been equality in thiscountrywhereheterosexual white men put their well-being above everyone and everything else.

”Rising above it” and holding hands in a circle is not going to make the issues go away.

45 is the one who made it about the anthem.Kaepernick was kneeling last year as a way of telling America that it still hasa problem with race. Chester Cheetohcalled those protesting “sons of bitches” while the white-supremecists in Charlottesville were “very fine people.” Kaepernick wanted police to stop shooting us.

If these Broadway shows want to kneel during their curtaincalls, that’s fine. But don’t make it something it’s not, especially if they’re only doing it as an “eff you” to Herr Orange.
"

BroadwayRox3588
#95Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:57pm

Really, Trump only has himself to blame. Because it erupted majorly when he started opening his mouth. Yes, it was a thing ever since Kaepernick started doing it last year, but it was never this big until this Sunday. It has always been a protest against police brutality, specifically towards people of color.

It only became about Trump, when Trump made it about Trump.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#96Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:02pm

I'm glad this is making Dave and some other white people so uncomfortable. White people need to be made to feel uncomfortable. That's the only way systemic racism will change. I applaud the kneelers!

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#97Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:11pm

Ah, I knew it was only a matter of time before Dave jumped in and whitesplained this thread. And I;m out.

JIMG3
#98Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:17pm

Total, bull****. Let the NFL play out their drama. This has no place in the theatre, sorry. I’m f****g sick of it. 

JIMG3
#99Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:20pm

Call_me_jorge said: "The amount of hateful reactions to this is nauseating."

It’s not hate, it’s righteous,indignation! Oh wait, I forgot, disagreement is the new “hatred”. It’s bloody ridiculous. 

Videos