Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#1Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/10/17 at 12:10pm

I just saw an ad pop up here, and forgot that I meant to write about this a few weeks ago...

But those of you who love theatre - who love dance - who just love brilliant stage craft - do not miss Matthew Bourne's production of THE RED SHOES when it comes to City Center. I though it was dazzling on every level: the design, the staging and choreography, the costumes - all just exquisite.

What a gift Matthew Bourne is. I wish he would direct more musical theatre because he is a genius on the level of Tommy Tune, Michael Bennett and Bob Fossee. We have so few of those.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#2Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/10/17 at 1:01pm

Thank you for the reminder! I just bought my ticket! :) I recall seeing Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake and Sleeping beauty a few years ago and am glad he has another production here! :) 

For the NYC stint it looks like the cast is alternating so in case one wants to see a particular dancer (i.e. Dominic North, Marcelo Gomes, Sara Mearns, Ashley Shaw, or Cordelia Brathwaite) then pay attention to the cast list for that date (press the + button next to the date when buying tickets.) 

Looking forward to this though am not sure whether to rewatch the movie first. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#3Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/10/17 at 1:06pm

Most of Bourne's show's have a revolving cast (this is a ballet and again quite common in that world). But one of the things that makes all the performers special is that the vast majority of them have been a part of Bourne's company for years. There is an artistic unity that shines in that kind of relationship between director and performer.

I don't really know that watching the film is good homework for this production. In truth, this ballet is more 'inspired' by the 1948 film than an adaptation of it. They are brilliant in very different ways - I'd hate to really compare them.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#4Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/10/17 at 1:15pm

Thanks! I last watched the film back in the 90s so I don't remember details but you make a good point. As an audience member I should be able to understand and appreciate the story without having watched the film.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#5Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/10/17 at 1:24pm

Since there is no dialogue, the story is told in much more 'impressionistic, broad strokes' than the film - but I think it's themes of obsession and desire do come through strongly. It's certainly visually stunning!

Did anyone see the ill-fated Broadway musical from the 1990s?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#6Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/10/17 at 6:33pm

Wow! I didn't even know it was a musical back in the early 90s! It only had 5 performances before it closed!??! I also learned Hugh Panaro (current Sweeney) was a member of the original cast. 

Anyway, after I got home, I received a mailer in the mail. For a discount, use promo code DMRED. I know I should have just waited before buying tix but I hope this discount will enable more people to experience a Matthew Bourne production! :)

Cesare2
#7Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/10/17 at 7:43pm

I saw the musical "The Red Shoes" when it played the Gershwin.  It was Jule Styne's last Broadway show.  He died shortly afterwards. The Act 1 closing number (with lyrics by Sammy Cahn) had been Shirley Booth's 11 o'clock number in "Look to the Lilies." (Tony Bennett had even recorded it "I Yes Me That's Who."Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES Some of the ballet music was recycled from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."  Roger Rees was replaced in previews by Steve Barton.  There are some clips from the show on youtube, as well as an interview with Hugh Panaro who recounts how terrible the experience was.  He lays a lot of the blame at the feet of Stanley Donen, who replaced the original director.  The book and lyrics were by Marsha Norman.  Bob Merrill later contributed additional lyrics (under a pseudonym).  I saw the show in early previews and then right after it opened.  One of the many problems in previews was that the ballet was performed twice.  The final version performed the ballet only at the end.. The show was like Richard Rodgers' last show, "I Remember Mama," some glimpses of the creator's great talent but a little tired.

Updated On: 10/10/17 at 07:43 PM

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#8Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/10/17 at 11:28pm

Seeing it in Charlotte in about a week and a half. I’m very excited, I’ll be sure to report back. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/11/17 at 9:34am

I came into this thread thinking it would be about those matt Damon Bourne movies, lol 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#10Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/11/17 at 12:07pm

I'm seeing it Saturday at the Kennedy Center. I'm especially intrigued by the fact that it uses Bernard Herrmann's music! I'm a big fan of his film scores.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#11Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/11/17 at 7:10pm

here is a link to the trailer for THE RED SHOES...WOW is all i got to say here!!

https://youtu.be/QtMs9kgm2Ac

Updated On: 10/11/17 at 07:10 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#12Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/12/17 at 12:31am

I never, ever thought I'd want to see a ballet - I write and sing and love those things - but wow, this is gorgeous and I'm compelled. 

bk
#13Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/12/17 at 1:48am

Saw it in LA.  If you don't know the film I can see some of it being confusing and it's a little odd having a ballet and a ballet within the ballet, but it all kind of works, the music is, of course, splendid (but too LOUD to the point of distortion), and the actual Red Shoes ballet itself is very compelling and beautiful.  The cast I saw at the first performance was wonderful.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#14Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/12/17 at 12:35pm

That's a gorgeous trailer - it definitely captures the feel of the show. I couldn't breath at moments watching it.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#15Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/22/17 at 11:48am

I also posted this in the new thread on the off-topic board, but will add my two cents here as well:

This ballet is gorgeous. I loved every second of it. Highly recommend.

The sets and lighting were used extremely creatively and served the piece very well. The choreography was stunning, as was the execution. I loved the score.

Tonight's performance was stopped about 25 minutes into the first act - there appeared to be a malfunction with the faux proscenium that moves throughout the show. It was handled quickly, quietly, and professionally - the dancers left the stage, the music stopped, an announcement was made that the performance would be pausing, the curtain came down, and less than 5 minutes later, another announcement informed the audience that the performance would be resuming. The rest of the show went off without a hitch. The malfunction did not detract from my enjoyment whatsoever - I felt very fulfilled at the end of the evening. I can't recommend this ballet highly enough.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#16Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 10/31/17 at 11:03pm

Well, this was spectacular. I’ve always been a fan of Matthew Bourne’s work, but this might be his masterpiece. It’s the most clear hybrid of his dance and theatre sensibilities and the overall production is wonderful.

Ashley Shaw was on as Victoria - a major selling point when purchasing the tickets, in addition to seeing it on Halloween - and she is breathtaking. Her first solo of the night is a stunner and it just gets better and better from there. It’s a showcase for a particularly expressive ballerina who is as technically adept as she is emotionally vulnerable, and Shaw has it and then some. If you have the chance to choose, make sure you see it with her.

The whole ensemble is excellent and the score is used perfectly. Shout out to the sound designer for making a canned orchestra sound so lush and clear at such intense volumes. From top to bottom, whether you’re familiar with the film or not, this is an exceptional performance and it shouldn’t be missed.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#17Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 11/1/17 at 10:12am

Is there a list somewhere of who who performs the lead roles in each show? I haven't seen one on their website, but I want to see Sara Mearns.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#18Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 11/1/17 at 11:36am

backwoodsbarbie said: "Is there a list somewhere of who who performs the lead roles in each show? I haven't seen one on their website, butI want to see Sara Mearns."

Before you buy tickets on the NY City Center site, you have to press the + button to the left to expand and see the cast that performs that day. 

I saw the Red Shoes this past weekend and absolutely loved it as well! We sat in side orchestra 5th row and had a great full view. Sara Mearns and Marcelo Gomes was the cast and they were absolutely stunning and their dancing spectacular. My friend who I came with specifically wanted to see the Americans perform since she had seen the British cast in London. She told me Sara and Marcelo did a great job.

Good luck! I think you can't go wrong with either cast. 

Jjohansan
#19Matthew Bourne's THE RED SHOES
Posted: 11/1/17 at 11:37am

backwoodsbarbie said: "Is there a list somewhere of who who performs the lead roles in each show? I haven't seen one on their website, butI want to see Sara Mearns."

The leads are listed on the City Center website in the drop down menu for each specific performance.