pixeltracker

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions- Page 6

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions

dcphillygirl
#125Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 8:37am

I agree with much that was already said.  I saw it the first night so it will be interesting to see the changes that are made by the time it comes to NYC.

- LOVED the choreography
- Damien had the funniest lines
- Janice killed it
-Stuck very close to the movie
- I see not everyone liked the set but I thought it fit very well with the story. 

#126Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 9:50am

Great hearing all the different reviews of this one.  I was in DC the passed weekend and decided to see this....

Big fan of Tina Fey and I do think Mean Girls is a funny satire, but I just didn't get this at all. For me, this just isn't a musical. And I'm not sure Fey, her Husband/Composer Jeff Richard, and lyricist Nell Benjamin made a compelling argument that it is one. The characters just didn't seem to have real reasons to sing. And sticking to the movie so closely didn't help. And by the end, I'm not sure the point of the show was very clear. 

People are praising the book, but although I find some of Fey's jokes funny, they seem like a grab bag full of random party favors  that don't add up to a well crafted stage story. Yes, the audience was eating it up, but new musicals based on popular movies typically do attract excited fans in tryouts like this....the Saturday Matinee crowd that that makes things like Hamilton a hit will, I'm predicting, not be that excited to see this.  

The girl clique musical is just not that interesting on stage as it is in movies, maybe its because the forms are so different. They tried it with Jawbreaker...which i think is a much better musical idea, no one bought it. Even Lawrence O'Keefe who wrote the Heathers Muscial (a much more tuneful, teen inspired, cool score) is on record as saying Broadway audiences don't care about these stories much. Tina Fey's name can only carry this so far.

If the score is usually the star of the show the way it is with Wicked, Hamilton, Dear Evan Hanson....this one doesn't shine that bright. It feels pastiche, like someone said this is what Broadway is supposed to sound like.  It doesn't feel like the music is telling a teen story, the orchestrations aren't telling us anything about the world we are watching. And the lyrics don't help. I was trying to remember hooks the way I did when I first saw Hairspray (a really quality teen centric musical), I could remember almost all of the hooks in that show after one time seeing it...Benjamin hasn't found the words that really make this characters memorable on stage the way they were in the film.

I just didn't connect to these characters like I did with the film ones. There's not much heart here in my opinion. I hate to say this, but I think this could be the flop of the season. Just my opinion. Not purposely trying to be a pessimist here. Not sure that Tina Fey's joke writing can save this one. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to people for 70-150 dollars a piece.

mckmillican
#127Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 10:57am

Saw it last night! 

Overall: I thought it did well and will continue to do well. It was all the old classic jokes plus some new very funny material in the book. The music wasn't bad? I think? I really don't remember much of it specifically the day after, but I didn't dislike any of it when I saw it. Definitely not like Legally Blonde where (whether you love it or you hate it), Omigod etc will stick with you afterwards. 

There are about three numbers I am waiting for them to cut/shorten. Apex Predator was about 17 years long, and Gretchen and Regina's Mom each have songs that are fine, but didn't move the plot forward at all and that the audience didn't love. I got out of the 8PM show at 10:55 - given, it started late and the intermission was long, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple solo numbers got the ax.

That being said, I'm bummed I didn't get to see Barrett really shine as much as I wanted her to in the show - she had that one feel-good song at the end, I'd Rather Be, but I would have been thrilled to hear way more from her. 

Cady had great energy and a great voice! I liked all three Plastics. Was super excited to see Taylor as Regina, and she did not disappoint. They look way more like the movie characters onstage than they do on the promo posters. All three had great voices, great comedic timing, and really smart material to work with. 

The choreography was high energy but messy. I feel like if you're going to have that much full-cast choreography, it just has to be clean and sharp or else it reads as a mob onstage. I'm sure set pieces will be on tracks when it transfers, but I was pleasantly surprised at the transitons and how smooth they were with things just on wheels. Gives me high hopes about what the next iteration of the set will be. Staging was suuuuper slick - they did not waste a moment between scenes. There were some really smart transitions - from class to class, all of the movement in in Where Do You Belong with rolling tables, that I was really impressed by.

Projections were fine. Wish they did a little less. Some moments felt like clip art. I wish they kept the background more static and tried to get less jokes out of the projections - Regina's head was on a stick during Revenge in the projections, for example, which I thought was a bit on the nose. I hope it gets cleaned up a bit more and reads more like a professional Broadway designer created the projections. 

I've been going around in circles comparing it to Legally, Heathers, and Bring it On in my head. Unlike Heathers, it's definitely a show that is built for Broadway - a lot of the satire is ironed out when it was musicalized, and gained a lot more "feel good" moments. Unlike Bring it On, it's way more loyal to the source material, so people who are coming to see it because they know the movie will recognize and love it. I'm going to predict it'll land about as well as Legally did. I'm glad I got to catch it here - it's not really my kind of show, so I won't be dishing out the money to see it later.

Updated On: 11/2/17 at 10:57 AM

HennySlay
#128Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 11:22am

Mckmillican, can you link the reddit audio please?

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#129Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 11:28am

Linking the reddit audio or talking about the reddit is how the reddit is going to go away.  Shut the fVck up, all of you.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#130Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 11:41am

theatretenor2 said: "Last thought for the evening. As awesome as the cafeteria choreography was, I know Ben Cook had to feel some kind of way since the tray break was clearly inspired by the “Seize the Day” newspaper break. "

And DeMarius Copes!

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

CPB2
#131Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 11:45am

mckmillican said: "Cady had great energy and a great voice!"

That was never in question Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caUWu13lu5Y

mckmillican
#132Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 12:31pm

She's the one I knew the least about coming in - within the first few minutes I was totally won over. 

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#133Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 1:21pm

standingovation79 said: "the Saturday Matinee crowd that that makes things like Hamilton a hit will, I'm predicting, not be that excited to see this."

I disagree. I think this is the type of show that sells out on weekends and holidays because people know the name, and then low attendance all week because the locals don't care, and the kids are all in school.

And the Saturday matinee crowd isn't what made Hamilton a hit.

Oh, there's one Trump joke at the end that brought down the house, but hopefully that will be cut before it moves to Broadway. :)

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#134Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 1:22pm

I'm gleaning that Erika Henningsen may be a lead actress Tony nomination contender. People seem to be falling in love with her.

Mpinkman
#135Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 1:40pm

Overall - I really enjoyed it. I was kind of surprised how much I did as a big fan of the movie and skeptical about film-to-stage adaptions. Tina Fey has written a great book and seems to be one of the better movie to stage adaptions I've seen. It is running a little long at the moment, and a few of the fan service moments can feel a little overdone but its in a promising place this early into the run. I can't wait to see the final incarnation of it once it hits broadway (and yes, I'd see it again. and again)

Music - I enjoyed the score, with each character having a different sound helping flesh out some of the characters. It did lack a show-stopper song. I'd love for the end of Act 1 to be BIGGER musically (right now it's big just in the sense of choreography). A few solo songs need to be cut and modified but I think there is promise.

Choreography - it's great. the ensemble sure can move. I loved the non-track props. It was surprisingly seamless. The set projection (video?) was well done for the most part. Some funny hidden jokes. A few scenes could be paired back (Regina's face being plastered everywhere was overkill).

Actors - I actually really enjoyed Taylor's Regina - it's different to the film but enjoyable in it's own way. Her enunciation / mic volume could be tightened for sure. Kate Rockwell as Karen was my favorite for sure. She was hilarious. Ashley's Gretchen was lacking for me. I didn't see much vulnerability in her performance. I agree with someone else who said Cady was "OK", I thought she was kind of boring and forgettable compared to others.

I think Janis and Damien roles were written for Tony Awards. Kevin G was awesome. Kerry Butler's Mrs Norbury was the best of her characters. I hope they focus more on that role than the others.

I think the show will have a long-term success. Everyone was eating it up in the audience. A few tweaks and I think it could be in contention for a few nominations/award wins as well!

Updated On: 11/2/17 at 01:40 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#136Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 2:03pm

It is selling very well here in DC.  Tried getting a ticket during my lunch break, but the people in line in front of me were taking too long.  Checked online and there is limited availability.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#137Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 2:11pm

Taylor's line read for "Boo, you whore! Go lie to someone stupid." is one of the funniest things I've ever heard on stage. That sounds like an overreaction, but it's brilliant. I really think Taylor Louderman, Barrett Wilbert Weed, and Kerry Butler are the Tony contenders. At least, so far.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."
Updated On: 11/2/17 at 02:11 PM

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#138Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 5:36pm

With the director/choreographer bringing in two young set shows, Mean Girls and Prom, is the dancing distinctively different?     Prom Choreography 

Up In One
Updated On: 11/2/17 at 05:36 PM

scottcain
#139Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 6:50pm

I saw both of the first two performances (in town for work).  Opening night was quite fun with the Halloween crowd.   I haven't seen the film in 10+ years, but I've seen over 900 musicals in my life.  Just background on my perspective.

Book is hilarious.  Direction / choreography is smooth, slick, and fun.  Great transitions.  Set is effective mix of screens and set pieces slid on and off by cast (I didn't mind it a bit). 

Lyrics are better than the music.  Not bad, but very few really standout melodies.  I do have Revenge Party in my head though. 

Kerry Butler is a goddess!  She was so adorable in all three adult female roles.  Just delightful!

Kate Rockwell was wonderful as dumb Karen.   Barrett rocks it out and has more material than I thought upon my initial viewing when seen a second time.  She has a deceivingly large part!  Ashley Park shows great acting - very vulnerable and solid throughout.  Taylor is fine, but her material lets her down. 

Actor playing Damien was great, but I think his role is more rewarding to fans of the show than in general.   Erika as Cady was very good, but some of the other roles shine more. 

Act 1 is long - not sure that any one song should be cut - maybe trim the opening and Apex Predator. 

Scott

mckmillican
#140Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 6:58pm

Up In One said: "With the director/choreographer bringing in two young set shows, Mean Girls and Prom, is the dancing distinctively different? Prom Choreography"

Super similar vibes. Lots of hip hop influenced movement set to non-hip hop music. All kind of a cross between hip hop, a Disney Channel Musical, and Newsies. High energy and pretty talented dancers, but I just wish it was way cleaner and tighter. 

Also a chunk of the ensemble came from the case of The Prom as well. 

boqboy
#141Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 10:25pm

Is there any merch available?

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#142Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/3/17 at 1:21am

boqboy said: "Is there any merch available?"

Yeah. Lots of different shirts. There's a hoodie that says "She doesn't even go here". Beanie, poster, magnet, and one of those cell phone pop holder thingies.

I got the tote that says "Get in loser. We're going shopping" even though that line didn't make it from the movie to the musical  (or at least I didn't hear it when I saw first preview).

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#143Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/3/17 at 2:22am

scottcain said: "Taylor is fine, but her material lets her down."

I'm a big fan of Taylor's performance, much more than fine in my opinion, but echo this last sentiment. One of the reasons I love her performance so much is because she rises above the lackluster material and shines anyway. I think Regina's material should be the biggest thing they work on. She's the Queen Bee - why doesn't she have a song to showcase that? She needs a song in the first act. That, and maybe adding a song for Ms. Norbury? Because I feel like that's needed, as Kerry shines the brightest there. Though, her Ms. George is...so funny.

And I hope they cut the party song and write something better, because the, "No, seriously, whose house is this?" line only works the first time. The other three (four?) times it is said, it loses the comedic punch.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

CPB2
#144Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/3/17 at 8:56am

BakerWilliams said: "They take an actual bus and run the actress playing Regina over with it. seven out of ten times, she dies"

Sounds like last night was one of those times. They had to stop the show because of a technical problem with the bus. Tina Fey came on stage to entertain everyone. Sounds like no one was actually hurt though, and they were able to complete the show.

Scroll down to Most Recent: https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/219587245/national-theatre-washington-dc/

KelseyRaylin
#146Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/3/17 at 1:04pm

Would be awesome to see Dove Cameron in this role! 

Ken6
#147Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/4/17 at 8:36am

Won the lotto last night. Overall it’s a solid show. The set was amazing.. non of the songs seemed to be standout but they are all good. Only paid $25 dollars for the ticket which was like 6 rows back but if I paid more then $100 I would of been a little disappointed. IT should of a decent run on broadway and its current fan base sbould keep it going... I would give it a 7.8 out of 10

schubox
#148Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/4/17 at 9:17am

Sondheimite said: "Linking the reddit audio or talking about the reddit is how the reddit is going to go away. Shut the fVck up, all of you."

All the private bootlegs are now in a private subreddit anyway. You have to ask permission to get in 

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#149Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/4/17 at 11:23am

UGH... These Broadway ticket prices! I am debating on purchasing tix for Broadway previews now or waiting it out and see if there have a discount in the new year.   What are your thoughts?