pixeltracker

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions- Page 8

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#175Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/8/17 at 8:53pm

Will we get production photos from this run, or do you think they'll hold off for Broadway?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#176Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/8/17 at 11:15pm

CindersGolightly said: "Will we get production photos from this run, or do you think they'll hold off for Broadway?"

We will probably get photos closer to opening and then see some attached with reviews. Maybe even footage at the same time or after opening. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#177Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/8/17 at 11:21pm

Out of town production photos are common so I would expect to see some pop up eventually.

BroadwayMan5
#178Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/8/17 at 11:31pm

Question for anyone who has seen it... is the content appropriate for jr. high level students (7th-8th grade)? I'm looking at possibly taking a group to see it on Broadway next year... thanks!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#179Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/9/17 at 11:40am

Question for anyone who has seen it... is the content appropriate for jr. high level students (7th-8th grade)? I'm looking at possibly taking a group to see it on Broadway next year... thanks!

The original film was PG-13 and that was in 2004.  In 2017, an 8 year old is savvy enough to enjoy a Broadway musical adaptation of MEAN GIRLS.  

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#180Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/9/17 at 9:02pm

I saw the show on Sunday night and loved it, but it definitely needs work which I feel like given the creative team's commitment to the show and how highly anticipated it is I feel they will be making changes. At stage door I overheard they're planning on making adjustments to Regina's ending and Kate Rockwell had a packet of pages that she said were for Tuesday, so I assume those changes have gone in by now. 

Fey's book sticks to the film's plot with some changes here and there and does a nice job of updating the story to a more current time frame. I really liked the idea of Janis and Damian being our narrators to the story because it gives us a sort of from the outside looking in type of view of the story where as it worked better on film to have it be from Cady's perspective.

I really liked the score and have had a few snippets of songs stuck in my head over the last few days. I really liked "Wild Life" and "Where Do You Belong" and I really liked "What's Wrong With Me" because we really got to see some of Gretchen's inner workings which I thought Ashley knocked that number out of the park. Regina definitely needs a bigger number and I do hope that is something in the cards because Taylor can absolutely sing the hell out of it as proven by how she handled the material she's been currently given. While I liked the song Mrs. George is given it was kind of out of place and the weakest of the numbers I'd say. "Whose House Is This" reminded me way too much of "Big Fun" from Heathers and I didn't love that number all that much but it works well for its purpose. 

The cast was wonderful with Grey Henson, Barrett Weed, and Kate Rockwell chopping the scenery to shreds with their material. Taylor Louderman was an excellent Regina but definitely plays her a little more relaxed than Rachel McAdams but I loved it. I loved Erika Henningsen as Cady and I really felt like she nailed the arc of Cady going from naive newbie to interim queen bee to the other side of it all with a lot of gusto, heart, and one hell of a voice. I really liked the way the book fleshes out Aaron Samuels and I thought Kyle Selig did a wonderful job of giving the character a warmth and heart we never got from the movie. Ashley Park was really fantastic as Gretchen and I again loved how they also went about fleshing her out a little bit and I hope they continue to do so over the preview period in DC and further. Kerry Butler does a great job with her triple role turn as Mrs. Heron/Mrs. George/Mrs. Norbury but I definitely feel like there needs to be more of Mrs. Norbury overall but she is hilarious nonetheless and had me rolling as Mrs. George. 

For people asking about side orchestra - I sat in Row C - Seat 13 and I had a fine view of the stage with the extreme sides on the left I couldn't see but nothing major happened on that side. 

I definitely hope to catch it again in DC before it closes because it was really great and will need to get my fix before waiting until March for Broadway. 

Also, not sure if anyone wanted the merch low down, but they had a lot of different things as pictured below. The grey hoodie says "She doesn't even go here" and the merch guy told a few of us they'll be getting a hoodie that says "I'm a cool mom" and "I'm a mouse, duh" with mouse ears on the top of it. 

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 11/9/17 at 09:02 PM

BroadwayMan5
#181Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:18am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Question for anyone who has seen it... is the content appropriate for jr. high level students (7th-8th grade)? I'm looking at possibly taking a group to see it on Broadway next year... thanks!

The original film was PG-13 and that was in 2004. In 2017, an 8 year old is savvy enough to enjoy a Broadway musical adaptation of MEAN GIRLS.

"

I should have phrased it better... I think the kids will be fine. I guess what I'm really asking is will I get any flack from administration or parents from a small, fairly conservative community?

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#182Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:57am

^Ehhh, maybe. Check out the film if you haven't.

I took a little trip out to Chicago to see this tonight. Overall, I adored it, but it needs work, as I'm sure the creative team is well aware. The score is good fun and it's laugh out loud hilarious, in fact, it's the funniest musical that I've seen in a long time. The cast is lovely, but I'm still disappointed that they made Damien such a stereotypical gbf. They could have gone against the grain and cast someone more unique to represent the gay community, but thankfully, the actor who plays him is great and has a phenomenal number near the beginning of the show. Barrett Wilbert Weed's got a voice that blows the roof off the theatre, but I didn't love her wig. Also, the set needs to go. Sorry, it doesn't work at all. I like the idea of projections or LED screens, but I don't like the way that they're executed here and it often feels cheap. Basically, the show is in good shape and I can definitely see a great show coming out of this.

CPB2
#183Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/10/17 at 9:11am

Unless they're holding back a significant amount of tickets, which I highly doubt, the show will be sold out by the time it opens/reviews are posted. As of now there are only four single tickets available post-opening. So what purpose do local reviews really serve?

I guess that's the risk with 3 weeks of previews and 2 weeks more of regular performances. The theater understandably downplayed that a bit and just sold it as a 5 week run.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#184Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/11/17 at 8:59pm

Bump!

Anyone know of any big changes yet?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

sppunk
#185Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/11/17 at 10:30pm

Saw this today. My wife and I both really enjoyed it. It’s a fun show, more light than the movie and if anything lacks the “mean” angle.

I think it can use a little editing x several songs felt a tad too long. But it didn’t drag. I think they can cut Apex Predator nearly entirely, it was my least favorite song. Well I take it back, Regina’s mom’s song was the worst and imo pointless.

Those negatives aside, it’s a fun show. We were impressed by the choreography, didn’t expect much but it’s actually quite good. The staging is very smart. The projections are used very well, much better than I anticipated. The “Whose Hose” didn’t bother me like others here, I thought it showed off great choreography. 

I don’t get the earlier reviews saying Cady is lost, she is more a lead than Regina. Regina needs a better song, she’s kinda lost in the musical numbers and I forget any distinct musical moment she had. The character is great and Taylor plays it wonderfully. The entire cast is great, actually. 

This is going to make a killing in NYC. An absolute money-making machine, this is.

On an unrelated note I forgot how much I despise the National Theatre. Horrific traffic flow for entrance/exit - it shouldn’t take 25 minutes to enter, they have everyone funneling to two tiny dude entrances into the seating area. And the bad acoustics. Just a bad place to see a performance, imo. 

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#186Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/12/17 at 12:31am

Saw it tonight, agree that it was a lot of fun, but definitely doesn’t feel like “Mean Girls”.

Unfortunately I feel conflicted because the choreography is very impressive but at the same time we did not need so many production numbers, to the point where it felt like we were watching Glee (even with the vocal arrangements). The score was not impressive which was a little disappointing as I had such high expectations.

All the leads were great, but it was hard to make out what Taylor Louderman was saying at points, would’ve assumed this issue would have been picked up and fixed by now so that worries me a bit.

Overall very enjoyable with fun new additions that make the show feel fresh. It needs some tweaks before it can be in a great spot.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#187Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/12/17 at 8:36am

Well I have a extremely bad cold, so this will be a bear to watch it with. Anyway to exchange dates?

freewilma
#188Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/12/17 at 11:32am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Well I have a extremely bad cold, so this will be a bear to watch it with. Anyway to exchange dates?"

Doubtful about exchanges since the run is almost sold out...but it might be worth a call to the box office.  That said, if it's for the evening performance and you want to sell, let me know via pm

Boston Friend
#189Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/12/17 at 11:34am

Saw on Friday night. No song list in program.

Ashley Park is great.

Funny but music is not memorable.

freewilma
#190Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/12/17 at 11:35am

On an unrelatednote I forgot how much I despise the National Theatre. Horrific traffic flow for entrance/exit - it shouldn’t take 25 minutes to enter, they have everyone funneling to two tiny dude entrances into the seating area. And the bad acoustics. Just a bad place to see a performance, imo."

Agreed about the National not being ideal....but I'd rather see a show here than at the cavernous Kennedy Center where I find the sound awful; especially with traveling productions.  

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#191Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/12/17 at 11:55am

I remember reading the Legally Blonde out of town previews thread and reading similar stuff. And look how that turned out.

irishgator1
#192Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/12/17 at 7:42pm

I saw this today and remember that someone had asked about the side orchestra seats that are limited view. Here’s my view from Orchestra Left, Row B, seat 11:

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/venue/National+Theatre+%28DC%29/Orchestra+Left/B/9+and+11/

BobbyD3
#193Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/13/17 at 9:41am

Saw this last night.  Thought it was in pretty good shape - echoing most of what everyone else said.  

A few thoughts: 

This show desperately needs an outsider to come in and do a cleanup.  It is just too long - by 30 minutes, at least.  You can tell that the production team LOVES the material, though, and I worry that they just won't cut it.  The whole scene with Regina and her Mom (with her mom's song) should go, the opening Africa sequence, 2/3 of the House Party song, and 1/2 of the Act 1 Finale...all should go.  Gretchen and Karen's solos are cuttable - but the two of them are just so darn good, I don't know that I would touch their stuff too much.

I thought Cady was magnificent.  She grounded the show in a really nice way, and I found her magnetic.  Vocally wonderful.  If getting the audience to fall in love with her was the goal, count me in.  The show is built AROUND her, not necessarily WITH her...so it makes it hard for her...but I thought she was great.

Gretchen/Karen were just wonderful.  They killed every line they spoke/sang.  I found Karen's choice to mark the dancing (character choice) to be a bit unsettling, but otherwise, dynamite.  

Regina was the weakest of the principles.  Her Act 1 was just....boring.  She chooses a very affected vocal pattern (think quiet, vocal fry), and it read as lazy.  She perked up a bit in Act 2, but by then I was out on her.  She is given many of the best lines and doesn't do as much with them as her co-stars.

The biggest disappointment for me with staging/faithfulness to the movie was the Christmas Talent Show.  Just...a mess. 

The choreo/set/costumes are all great.  The direction works (for the most part)...but they really force some jokes.  

Fun night at the theatre...7/10 - with a clear path to 8.5 if they could trim a half hour.  

disneybroadwayfan22
#194Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/14/17 at 11:22pm

Lucky for me, my cold got stronger for me to see MG tonight. And my god I was lucky. Mean Girls is a complete joy and I never laughed so hard at a show ever.

This is a giant star vehicle for Erika and like others said, she has the audience around her finger from the first second she sets foot on stage. Erika is so likeable as Cady. So naive and innocent in Act 1, but her transformation in Act 2 as a snow queen is believable at the same exact time. She uses her charm to her advantage when she’s the queen bee. She’s a big competitor for the Tony Mom race.

Ashely and Kate, esepecially Kate, are locks for Tony nominations. Ashley has the sweetness that Lacey had as Gretchen, but her anxiety with Regina is completely relatable and you get the story completely with Ashely’s acting. Kate. is. ****ing. hiliarious! Eye Candy and her intro killed me! I say she even could be a serious nominee. Poor Taylor had nothing to work with as Regina. Taylor was great and deliciously bitchy as Regina, but Regina herself, while a fun role in Act 1, fades into almost nothing in Act 2.

Barrett and Grey are also wonderful as Janis and Damian. They each have wonderful moments with Barrett’s I’m Proud to Be Me (???) and Where You Belong, which was absolutely enjoyable and fitting to the character. Kerry Butler was excellent in her roles as Cady/Regina’s moms and the teacher (reminds me so much of Tina Fey), but musically she was so wasted and deserves so much more than that song with Regina and solos in the math song.

I love love the music and I have Apex Predator, Justice, and Where You Belong in my head. I can not wait to get the OBC next year. The set design is brilliant and the projections, while clip art-like, do fit in the story and have places in the scene.

My main complaint is that Regina needs more development in the story, esepecially Act 2 because she is pretty forgettable there. Like others have said, both Taylor and Kerry, esepecially as the teacher, need so much more music to move their characters and the story along. Regina and the teacher need more solos. I also wish they give Kevin more screen time. I was hoping the rap in the talent show was a full song and similarly, I wish the Plastics’ Christmas song was much longer. It was over literally at the blink of an eye. And Act 1 needs to be a bit shorter. I thought Revenge Party was a better way to end the act than Justice.

I’ll be definitely seeing this back on Broadway and can’t wait to see what they change. In the meantime, time to try the lottery!

Updated On: 11/14/17 at 11:22 PM

disneybroadwayfan22
#195Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/15/17 at 7:19am

BroadwayMan5 said: "Question for anyone who has seen it... is the content appropriate for jr. high level students (7th-8th grade)? I'm looking at possibly taking a group to see it on Broadway next year... thanks!"

I mean, you see Taylor's butt before and after the Christmas number scene (she's wearing a thong.) In fact, it's plastered on the screen after the scene. Something to consider. 

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#196Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/15/17 at 7:29am

@BobbyD3:

I agree with your cuts, the opening Africa scene was way too long and it's a little cringe-worthy. If Act 1 closer is supposed to be a cliff-hanger, then it really hammers than in for way too long without saying much, it needs to really be a punch.

But I can't deny how much fun it was, some of the jokes are still in my mind a few days later.

Updated On: 11/15/17 at 07:29 AM

curel1
#197Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/15/17 at 7:41am

Hmm, it seems like they haven't been making many changes at all. I wonder if they're just waiting till Broadway for them. I have tix to the last performance in DC, so I guess I'll see then.

disneybroadwayfan22
#198Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/15/17 at 8:25am

The Africa scene was pretty short and there were no Broadway references, so clearly the cuts are happening. 

Updated On: 11/15/17 at 08:25 AM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#199Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/15/17 at 9:51am

^I think the Broadway references are in Where You Belong when the glee club kids are all wearing show shirts and then there's some Seize the Day choreography that seems to happen during Justice - if I'm not mistaken. There wasn't any Broadway references in Wild Life when I saw the show a few weeks ago. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.