pixeltracker

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews- Page 3

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#50SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 12:32am

I just got out after the stagedoor and... Ioved it. Against all the others, I loved the set and certain parts but others were so confusing. Namely the volcano where it was ladders, boxes, and carts? I was so confused that entire scene. Slater was so flexible (minus his split) and Gavin Lee is amazing. The tap number went off without a hitch. Daddy Knows Best got changed alot, along with bikini bottom day, when the goingget and chop to the to top was changed as well. Whoever plays Pearl deserves a Tony for her performance. I loved her more than Sandy.

The audience was kinda disrespectful, the lady Infront of me was on her phone and had a small child who started dancing...

My favorite part of the show wasn't even expected, I ended up meeting Michael Lee Brown from DEH!

Updated On: 11/7/17 at 12:32 AM

DeepVSexyWitch2
#51SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 12:56am

I am in the camp who absolutely loved this. Pure, unadulterated, whimsical, stupid fun!

At it's best, it's brilliantly stupid.

At it's worst, it's messy and drags a bit.

The plot is thin but the energy is infectious. The set is gorgeous. Ethan Slater is a bonafide star.

I cannot understand how anyone could see the musicalized version of a cartoon series that is completely reimagined in a big budget poor theatre way and say it's not creative. 

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#52SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 1:02am

Hope this stays open til June! Would love to give it a chance. 

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#53SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 2:17am

You don't know how much I would love to see the words "brilliantly stupid" in quotes on a marquee outside of the theater...

Sounds like the show I saw in Chicago last year.  A lot of fun, a bit messy, but infectious energy.  I kind of hope this one is embraced, and gets to play at least a year. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#54SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 4:18am

dearalanaaaa said: "The audience was kinda disrespectful, the lady Infront of me was on her phone and had a small child who started dancing...

My favorite part of the show wasn't even expected, I ended up meeting Michael Lee Brown from DEH!
"

A child dancing at a child's show isn't disrespectful, it's expected.  And even so, 2 people don't make a disrespectful audience.

And if your favorite part of the show had nothing to DO with the show, that's kind of sad.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#55SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 8:21am

"Pure, unadulterated, whimsical, stupid fun!

At it's best, it's brilliantly stupid.

At it's worst, it's messy and drags a bit."

I completely agree with all three of these statements. Judging by what I've recently learned from watching the cartoon, Spongebob has never been a plot-heavy enterprise. Though made so that children can enjoy it, the tv show is an existential mood piece with a happy, positive bent.

My first association with Spongebob was in college when the stoners would pass around a joint and laugh their asses off in the wee hours of the morning. Judging by the smells wafting off the crowd walking into the Palace last night, I think more than a few of my college classmates were in the audience last night, ha. And really it's the perfect show to smoke before if you're so inclined. You'll be a little more mellow to deal with the messy spots and it fits with the episodic-Alice-in-Wonderland-trippy journey Spongebob leads you on.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

AllThatJazz2
#56SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 9:31am

My friend asked me this question and I've seen nothing one way or another, so those of you who went...does SpongeBob's pet snail Gary make an appearance at all? 

...this may be the oddest question I've posed to a message board. 

WhizzerMarvin
#57SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 9:38am

Yes, the snail makes several appearances.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#58SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 9:55am

I’m surprised that people are saying the new actress for Pearl is so good that she could be nominated for a Tony. Did they expand Pearl’s role? In Chicago, she was a fairly small part

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#59SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 10:29am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I’m surprised that people are saying the new actress for Pearl is so good that she could be nominated for a Tony. Did they expand Pearl’s role? In Chicago, she was a fairly small part"

While pearls role may sound small, that track was probably a standout in Chicago, especially with Emmy Raver in the role. That track is used throughout the show and Emmy’s performance in daddy knows best, which may be a mediocre song, was truly spectacular. I’m glad to hear the new pearl is living up to emmy or even greater!!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#60SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 10:55am

"Jewish gay" accent.
Now THAT'S an amazingly fresh, fascinating take on the role...

BRAVA!

disneybroadwayfan22
#61SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:02am

Understudy list? Apparently, there are girls who understudy for Spongebob and Patrick

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#62SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:13am

^ Well that's interesting.

WhizzerMarvin
#63SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:21am

The understudies for Spongebob and Patrick are all male:

Spongebob- Curtis Holbrook, Jesse JP Johnson

Patrick- Brian Ray Norris, Matt Wood

disneybroadwayfan22
#64SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:24am

Huh. Someone said gender-neutral understudies

https://twitter.com/hayleystjames/status/927753255676936192

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#65SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:24am

I wish they had made Patrick's hair like grey/silver just to give us some nod to his character's look. 

And Pearl is a small part, but man, her vocals were impressive. She just had a lot of standout moments. Whereas everyone else was fine - I wasn't exactly like "WOW" for anyone - she really stood out to me as well. 

They need to cut the David Bowie song. It's the second song in the show and just brings the entire show to a hault. It's awkward.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#66SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 11:52am

Can anyone confirm that they've removed Seats 101 & 103 and 102 & 104 from Row B of the orchestra section?

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#67SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 2:18pm

Since a lot of people are talking about Pearl, does she still squirt water out into the audience at one point?

When I saw the show in Chicago, she did I think at one point during the Daddy Knows Best number.  The water squirted a little girl who was sitting in the seat next to me, and she started crying.  Her mother was able to quiet her quickly, and I think the actors were embarrassed about it.  I asked the mom at Intermission if the girl was doing okay, and she obviously was. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#68SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 2:22pm

Oh, I just want to say that they should do something about the wigs. I know they're supposed to make them look like the characters, but SpongeBob's wig as well as Patrick's were both kind of distracting. I like the brightly colored hair, but they should tone down the hairstyles just a bit.

Call_me_jorge
#69SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 2:23pm

Where the percussionists located? In Chicago they were in the two side boxes, are there boxes in the palace similar to the ones in Chicago?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#70SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 3:15pm

From pictures I've seen, only the foley artist is in the house. I rest of the band is somewhere else. 

Evans2
#71SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 3:38pm

Anyone else concerned the show isn't selling well?

The entire month has pretty much been up on TDF. Even when a date sells out, more seats get loaded on.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#72SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 3:42pm

Under the stage was the band, I saw the conductor conduct with several various items and at one point a safety helmet. SpongeBob and Patrick we're both ginger which was kinda fUnny. Pearls vocals were amazing for a minor role, I couldn't believe it! Poor pirates fell so flat though, I didn't even know the show started since the lights didn't go down and most people were on their phones. It really should be cut. I don't even know the purpose of patchy the pirate other than to tell people to turn their phones off...

BroadwayNoob
#73SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 4:21pm

This show actually seems promising! I'll be sure to enter the lottery, I'm not sure if I would really pay the full price for a ticket. I surprisingly loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, so I think I'll like this one as well

Call_me_jorge
#74SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/7/17 at 4:23pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Oh, I just want to say that they should do something about the wigs. I know they're supposed to make them look like the characters, but SpongeBob's wig as well as Patrick's were both kind of distracting. I like the brightly colored hair, but they should tone down the hairstyles just a bit."

That’s interesting. I wonder why they changed the wigs, they were pretty solid in Chicago. Also, does spongebob wear pants now? In Chicago they had him in shorts.

Videos