pixeltracker

DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!- Page 3

DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!

Margo319
#50DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 7:17pm

Allowed?  This man created this role, won a Tony for this role, sacrificed his health and well being for this role.  Yes, it was that long, and yes, every person involved in the production allowed him to soak of up every bit of love and strength everyone was giving him from the audience to get him through the performance.  

akmiller_98
#51DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 7:22pm

Yes. Margo is correct. I had a good view of Justin Paul and he was one of the first people to leap to his feet. Ben started crying when this happened--the applause when on for a quite a long time. Then he took a deep breath, pulled himself together, and started the show.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#52DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 7:26pm

Ben had a big speech at the door, everybody but Ben, Rachel, Mike and Will signed (excusing understudies but Asa signed) and last but not least too many scalpers were there (and a person who tried to steal my playbill that got signed :))

Margo319
#53DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 7:30pm

You just named half the cast that did not come out :)  So, only like 4 people?  I am so glad scalpers did not win today!  I am assuming they wanted to sell Ben's last show autographed Playbill on Ebay for a grand?  Hahaha.  Love that he chose family over hours and hours of signing.  Was such a mad house outside, I got the hell out of there as fast as I could!

IlanaKeller
#54DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 7:31pm

LesWickedly said: "Do you mean 5 or 6 minutes for his final bow or for his opening appearance? Hard time believing it would’ve been allowed to last that long at the beginning."

Allowed is an interesting term -- for one, as mentioned, he's earned it and the production certainly isn't going to take that moment away, and for two, if the crowd is as loud as I imagine and Mr. Platt needed to ready himself, how exactly do you propose they would have forced the show to continue?

One of the most special moments in the theater I've witnessed was the first night Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal returned to "Rent," There was no way they were starting that show in the middle of the reception they received.

Twitter: @IlanaKeller Latest work: app.com/topic/asbury-park-broadway/

Margo319
#55DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 7:33pm

^^^  Exactly.   Allowed?  How ridiculous.  

youwillbefound2 Profile Photo
youwillbefound2
#56DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 7:36pm

Laura Osnes was in the audience today, did anybody see her?

dearalanaaaa
#57DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 8:07pm

youwillbefound2 said: "Laura Osnes was in the audience today, did anybody see her?"

I saw her running out the door with a security guard. It was crazy

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#58DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 8:33pm

Alright calm down, Margo. I’m a huge fan of the show and Ben. As I was writing it, allowed seemed liked the wrong term but couldn’t think of any other. But it did seem odd that he would just sit there for five minutes while the applause went on and not stop to start the show. Again, saying this as a huge fan, glad he got much deserved applause.

Hannah254
#59DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 9:12pm

What happened during Sincerely, Me? I heard that is was different tonight, and I'm just curious....

mulligan3
#60DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 9:20pm

Will Roland broke Ben Platt.    He made Ben laugh enough that Ben forgot his line.  So there was a pause, a laugh, and Will threw in his line for him.    But it was also more amped than usual today - the guys had a really, really good time doing it. 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#61DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 9:34pm

Of all the emotional moments during this afternoon's performance--including Ben's superhuman solos and Laura Dreyfuss and Rachel Bay Jones and Michael Park getting visibly emotional during their solos with him--"Sincerely Me" is the memory I will take with me. Those three boys were having such a good time with each other that the number soared beyond what it was the last time I saw the show and what it is on the OCR. For that moment, it was just the three of them, brothers-on-stage, horsing around and having fun. I wept with tears of sheer exhilaration.

Updated On: 11/19/17 at 09:34 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#62DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 9:44pm

I wish I could have been there today. But I already so the show twice and I'm glad so many people who had never seen Ben got to see the show because of the BWW threads.

Anyway thanks to the BWW threads I was not only able to see the show twice with Ben but my friend was able to see the show with Ben too after his first ticket wound up being with Michael Lee Brown. And this is what he had to say about Ben's performance, which I'll quote because I couldn't have said it better myself:

"Ben gives you the bleeding truth, and not just a good performance." 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#64DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 10:01pm

The curtain call was 4 minutes, as per the great videos posted earlier, so if the standing ovation at the top of the show was 5 or 6 minutes...wow.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Margo319
#65DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 10:03pm

Volveeta,

My God, through my tears, I saw what Rachel does best.  Connect so beautifully to the person on stage, and to the audience AND to herself all at once.  She was emotional, brilliant, STRONG, and so so so loving in that moment.  I have loved her in everything she does.  She is just astounding and it's amazing you get to be friends with someone as awesome as Rachel. Jealous! heart

Updated On: 11/19/17 at 10:03 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#67Thank you.
Posted: 11/19/17 at 10:29pm

Margo319 said: "I am so glad scalpers did not win today! I am assuming they wanted to sell Ben's last show autographed Playbill on Ebay for a grand? Hahaha."

Getting stuff signed is now considered scalping, too?!

katiegreentree Profile Photo
katiegreentree
#68Thank you.
Posted: 11/19/17 at 10:33pm

everythingtaboo said: "The curtain call was 4 minutes, as per the great videos posted earlier, so if the standing ovation at the top of the show was 5 or 6 minutes...wow."

I mean, it was definitely not 5 or 6 minutes, it was like a minute to a minute and a half tops.  It was nowhere near as long as the curtain call.  The applause was insane but after about a minute-ish Ben got himself together and hit the button on the keyboard to signal to everyone that he was starting and everyone sat down.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#69Thank you.
Posted: 11/19/17 at 10:37pm

Received a lovely pm from Margo.
Original Message from Margo319:

Calm Down?
"Alright calm down, Margo"

Haha. Nope. But thank you for attempting to tell a stranger what to do on the internet. I talked about this performance today and you questioned it.. Clearly, you aren't a big fan of Ben Platt's or theater in general if you don't understand what a 5 minute standing ovation truly IS in the grand scheme of the thing and what it means. Moron.

I’ve noticed time and time again how incredibly vicious Margo is and just thought this was necessary to share. Don’t consider myself a moron, but at least I can tell the difference between a minute and six minutes.

Updated On: 11/19/17 at 10:37 PM

Danielle49
#70DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/19/17 at 10:40pm

PalJoey said: "

Of all the emotional moments during this afternoon's performance--including Ben's superhuman solosand Laura Dreyfuss and Rachel Bay Jones and Michael Park getting visibly emotional during their solos with him--"Sincerely Me" is the memory I will take with me. Those three boys were having such a good time with each other that the number soared beyond what it was the last time I saw the show and what it is on the OCR. For that moment, it was just the three of them, brothers-on-stage, horsing around and having fun. I wept with tears of sheer exhilaration.

"

This is so beautiful. Reminds me of Comet and the final "Balaga"/"The Abduction" - they went so hard and were so happy to be with each other, going wild one final time. Ten minutes of unadulterated joyous energy. It's that segment of the cast recording that now makes me the most emotional. Makes me so happy that the three guys found a moment to break through the weight of the show to just have fun on such a bittersweet day. Thank you so much for sharing this.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#71DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/20/17 at 4:57am

Just want to say, real quick, I hope the girl who stole a playbill from a younger girl at the stagedoor yesterday has a change of heart, and attempts to right her wrongdoing. Such a selfish act, and spoiled what should've been a special experience for that young girl.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#72DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/20/17 at 9:42am

Does anyone know what contract the show was developed under? I hope it was a workshop contract, because I hope Ben will still get compensated for creating such an iconic character.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#73DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/20/17 at 12:25pm

There is an audio of the final performance that is on reddit and the opening applause is nowhere near 5 or 6 minutes. More like a minute. Very warm and loud ovation, but it didn't go on for 5 or 6 minutes.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#74DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/20/17 at 2:02pm

poisonivy2 said: "There is an audio of the final performance that is on reddit and the opening applause is nowhere near 5 or 6 minutes. More like a minute. Very warm and loud ovation, but it didn't go on for 5 or 6 minutes."

At least we can finally tamp down the guesswork of enthusiastic theatergoers with forensic proof that their excitement clouded their analytic skills.

dearalanaaaa
#75DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/20/17 at 3:32pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Just want to say, real quick, I hope the girl who stole a playbill from a younger girl at the stagedoor yesterday has a change of heart, and attempts to right her wrongdoing. Such a selfish act, and spoiled what should've been a special experience for that young girl."

Was it really that bad out there? I left after Laura, but i guess it just got worse from that point on. Did she ever get compensated or anything?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#76DEH November 19 The Day Has Come!
Posted: 11/20/17 at 6:29pm

I just timed it. The ovation lasts for about 50 seconds.