Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?

rjm516
#1Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 9:03am

Hi, I know this is a blast from the past but it was just announced that the production (with Alfred - actually with two Alfreds!) is coming to London. I'm looking to buy my tickets now - does anyone remember if this is a show where it helps to sit up close, or further back, or in a balcony? Any advice is appreciated. Also did you enjoy the show?

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#2Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 9:05am

I sat in the last row and could see fine, I was one of the few who absolutely hated this show but I remember most here loving it.

rjm516
#3Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 9:12am

Lol oh no! What did you hate about it? 

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#4Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 9:21am

I sat second row, but it was at the Golden, where there aren't really any bad seats, especially with a play with such an open set design as RED had. I imagine the play would read equally well up close or from a distance -- or, rather, I don't think sitting at a distance would be any great disadvantage. It's two actors and a lot of words.

I really loved it. It was the first time I'd ever seen Eddie Redmayne, and I knew immediately he was going to be a star. He met and matched Molina at every turn. They were both terrific.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#5Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 10:33am

Saw it at the small Donmar Warehouse in London, sat upstairs at the side and it was fine.

For the Wyndham's Theatre, anwhere in the stalls/dress circle will give you a good view. I'd personally avoid going into the upper circle/gallery

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#6Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 10:54am

Alfred Also did the show here in LA Opera said Jonathan Groff. It’s a two-person show with a unique set. It doesn’t hurt to be sort of close but you could still see everything from a distance.

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#7Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 3:36pm

I saw him in it at The Golden. I would think any seat would be just fine.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#8Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 5:42pm

Is this like some actors you need to see up close but others are ok from far away?

I saw it from the mid-mezzanine at the Golden. I would've liked to sit a little closer, but I don't think you need to to enjoy the play. 

A work of art is an invitation to love.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 8:31pm

What's the point of remounting it with the same actor and director? Is it the same design too?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#10Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 9:53pm

I saw it twice from the mezz of The Golden and loved it. Even though it was just two actors, a piece of canvas and a lot of words, I found the piece to be rather thrilling. If I’m recalling correctly, that was a particularly strong year for lead actor performances- Denzel in Fences, Molina in Red, Liev Schreiber in View From The Bridge- anyone could have won the Tony that year. 

I agree with Growl about Eddie Redmayne. It totally felt like a star is born moment. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 12/1/17 at 09:53 PM

LightsOut90
#11Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 11:39pm

One of the best productions ive ever seen on broadway, when they do that painting together and are stepping over each other almost in perfect harmony, pure magic

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#12Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/2/17 at 2:48am

I saw this at the Donmar and thought it the best thing I saw that year. I'd say being close to the actors is better although the closer you are the more risk you have of needing to use some paper towels after it's over.

Allegra23
#13Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/2/17 at 4:47am

Also, the audio of the LA version with Molina & Groff is available on Audible, if you want a sneak peak of the play in general before deciding.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#14Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/2/17 at 6:33am

"What's the point of remounting it with the same actor and director? Is it the same design too?"

It never had a West End Run, only a very short run at the intimate Donmar Warehouse..

Also the economics have to be good - 2 hander, good reviews, lots of people didn't get a chance to see the original production.

The Other One
#15Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/2/17 at 7:58am

I saw it from the LAST ROW of The Golden, and was initially concerned about being so far up there, but the play, performances and production projected beautifully.  I loved Red!

I agree with themysteriousgrowl about Eddie Redmayne, who held his own opposite Molina's titanic performance, and with WhizzerMarvin about Molina.  It was unfortunate that his was the one Tony nomination that did not result in a win, but he, Washington and Schreiber each gave legendary performances.  

keb2 Profile Photo
keb2
#16Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/2/17 at 11:35pm

I saw it from about midway back at the Taper in Los Angeles. I really enjoyed it. I think any seat is fine as long as you can see faces decently. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17Who saw Alfred Molina in Red?
Posted: 12/2/17 at 11:56pm

Thanks Mark! Had no clue! It's a great production.