SPONGEBOB Reviews

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#26SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 9:57pm

Brantley is pretty mixed. He gives a massive rave for Ethan Slater, and says if you're a fan of the show, you'll fall in love. If you have nothing to do with the show, though, there's not much for ya (unless you smoke weed before the show...which he says he did).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/theater/spongebob-squarepants-broadway-musical.html

Updated On: 12/4/17 at 09:57 PM

BroadwayConcierge
#27SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 9:57pm

Also, there's a hilarious typo in Brantley's article. He writes, "Lilli is disdained as a mammal." I... hope he meant to write Sandy.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#28SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:05pm

I'm so surprised and relieved with the good reviews! 

Joshua Boyd-Williams
#29SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:06pm

Well, over all the reviews seem mostly positive. We can all agree on one thing. These are reviews Charlie and the Chocolate Factory could only dream of.

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#30SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:08pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Also, there's a hilarious typo in Brantley's article. He writes, "Lilli is disdained as a mammal." I... hope he meant to write Sandy."

No typo there, he is describing the plot. Sandy is looked down upon/judged for being a mammal.

BroadwayConcierge
#31SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:09pm

phan24 said: "No typo there, he is describing the plot. Sandy is looked down upon/judged for being a mammal."

Yes, but he typed "Lilli" instead of "Sandy" there.

mufish
#32SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:09pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Really happy that Wesley is being a constant shout out in these reviews! Double Featured Actor nominees for Wesley and Gavin?"

I had zero interest in seeing this until Wesley Taylor was cast. Rock of Ages was the first show I ever saw on Broadway, and I’ve been a fan ever since (and even further aside, It Could Be Worse exposed me to Gideon Glick so I owe him a debt of gratitude for that too). So glad he’s back on stage, and it’s great to hear he’s doing well in the role. Looking forward to checking out the show in the next few months!

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#33SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:11pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "phan24 said: "No typo there, he is describing the plot. Sandy is looked down upon/judged for being a mammal."

Yes, but he typed "Lilli" instead of "Sandy" there.
"

ahh gotcha, it's weird because he says the actor's names within the parenthesis, but doesn't describe the plot inside the parenthesis for the others, so it could be a typo or weirdly deliberate

Danielle49
#34SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:12pm

Relieved by the overall positive response. Brantley's review was very fair and made great points. He probably would've spent the entire review raving about Ethan Slater if he could have - he used about a third of his word count talking about just him. Even before seeing the show you could tell: Ethan Slater's got something that you can't take your eyes off of. This is a star, folks.

Updated On: 12/4/17 at 10:12 PM

BroadwayConcierge
#35SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:14pm

Not sure about anybody else in the show, but tonight pretty much locked up Ethan Slater as a 2018 Tony nominee.

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#36SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:15pm

I was worried that I was actually going to have to see this until Brantley gave me an out.  Thank you Ben.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#37SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:17pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Not sure about anybody else in the show, but tonight pretty much locked up Ethan Slater as a 2018 Tony nominee."

I mean Ethan getting compared to JOEL GREY AND CAROL CHANNING?! Wow!!!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#38SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:20pm

So, forgive my ignorance (I haven’t seen the show). The score is technically original, right? It’s just written by a plethora of composers, most of whom are from the music industry, correct?

If the Tonys want to nominate the score, would all of the various musicians receive a nomination? How would that work?

Updated On: 12/4/17 at 10:20 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#39SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:21pm

But let's not kid ourselves, this is no Cabaret or Hello Dolly... let's see if this makes it until May before we talk Tonys...

Jarethan
#40SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:27pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Brantley is pretty mixed. He gives a massive rave for Ethan Slater, and says if you're a fan of the show, you'll fall in love. If you have nothing to do with the show, though, there's not much for ya (unless you smoke weed before the show...which he says he did).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/theater/spongebob-squarepants-broadway-musical.html
"

I think you are being a little harsh.  Despite having two children and a wife who watched the TV show obsessively, I have had zero interest in seeing this show until I read Ben Brantley's review.  He definitely had reservations, but he raved about the production design, the lead, and Gavin Lee and he was highly favorable about the direction and choreography.  He seemed indifferent to the score, and IMO seemed amused by the book (that may be an overstatement).  On top of that, he said that the lead could very well be at risk of becoming as associated with this role as Alan Cumming and Carol Channing were with theirs.  I saw that as a pretty incredible observation, again IMO.

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#41SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:27pm

adamgreer said: "So, forgive my ignorance (I haven’t seen the show). The score is technically original, right? It’s just written by a plethora of composers, most of whom are from the music industry, correct?

If the Tonys want to nominate the score, would all of the various musicians receive a nomination? How would that work?
"

Yupp, everyone would get a nomination at this point. (The committee will have final say when they meet and anything can change)

CPB2
#42SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:40pm

Jarethan said: "...he said that the lead could very well be at risk of becoming as associated with this role as Alan Cumming and Carol Channing were with theirs. I saw that as a pretty incredible observation, again IMO."

Another thing to read into that is a vote of confidence that the show will be around long enough for such an impression to take hold.

Mike66
#43SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:42pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Not sure about anybody else in the show, but tonight pretty much locked up Ethan Slater as a 2018 Tony nominee."

"

Um -- Brantley didn't mean it as a compliment...... (You might want to read it again.)

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#44SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:49pm

adamgreer said: "So, forgive my ignorance (I haven’t seen the show). The score is technically original, right? It’s just written by a plethora of composers, most of whom are from the music industry, correct?

"

I know it happened at least once before with Urban Cowboy back in 2003.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#45SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 10:50pm

This show is the next Shrek, which got similar reviews, but couldn’t shift tickets.

This will be gone soon.

ChiTheaterFan
#46SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 11:13pm

TheQuibbler said: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factoryisclosing on January 14th."

Ahhh I see thanks. Like I said I’ve been gone for awhile. I noticed the sales were pretty decent this week and last. Prob because it’s closing. At any rate I don’t think family shows have it any more difficult than any other show. The success of many shows on broadway show there’s an audience for it. Whether a musical made from a cartoon will speak to them remains to be seen. (As was mentioned above, broadway prices for sponge bob may be a tough pill to swallow.). But glad to see their reviews are positive, and I wish them the best!  For the sake of the cast and crew, and those who love the show, I hope it has a good run. 

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#47SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 11:27pm

Mike66 said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Not sure about anybody else in the show, but tonight pretty much locked up Ethan Slater as a 2018 Tony nominee."

"

Um -- Brantley didn't mean it as a compliment...... (You might want to read it again.)
"

I mean, he does spend the majority of the review raving about his performance.

Jarethan
#48SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 11:28pm

CPB2 said: "Jarethan said: "...he said that the lead could very well be at risk of becoming as associated with this role as Alan Cumming and Carol Channing were with theirs. I saw that as a pretty incredible observation, again IMO."

Another thing to read intothat is a vote of confidence that the show will be around long enough for such an impression to take hold.
"

Agreed.  An unknown can't give a legendary performance in a show that doesn't stay around long enough for the legend to begin.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#49SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/4/17 at 11:44pm

I think he's just saying it's a iconic type performance, as opposed to say something like Bandstand where you can sub in any slew of musical theater actors. That the part is very well suited for him. Which is a total compliment, and he's great in the part, but not sure this is going to make him a superstar.