pixeltracker

The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread- Page 5

The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#100BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 3:19pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Jarethan said: "She is not and has never been a box office attraction. I doubt that many people in the traditional road cities even know who she is.”

This tour does not need a big name. The tour will be playing in cities that havelarge subscriber bases already front loaded into the seats before they even put tickets on saleto the general public. It’s also worth noting that many of these cities are reaching record breaking numbers in subscription salesthis year because of the inclusion of Hamilton in their seasons.
"

THANK YOU!! It seems so silly to say Betty won’t be able to sell this tour, when Hamilton is already doing it. Again, this tour could’ve had Bette’s understudy and it still would’ve sold well, because of subscribers alone

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#101BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 3:21pm

And even a house with a subscription base has a lot of empty seats to fill.  Even if the show didn't need a name, it will be a lot easier to pick up 'press' and 'television appearances' having one.  

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#102BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 3:28pm

Is it easier? I thought each cities presenter just provides the television appearances and press. Like nearly every city wicked goes to, the witches go on some talk show, and there aren’t any stars in that show.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#103BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 3:30pm

Perhaps let me rephrase -- there will be more press opportunities having a name. Bigger stories, more features, more TV time etc. It can make a difference.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Jarethan
#104BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 10:57pm

My point was that there was absolutely no reason to hire her for this role...she is totally wrong for it.  AND its is not like she is not going to sell any additional tickets.  So, hello Dolly is supposed to be fun.  With a Dolly who does not convey fun, the are pitting everyone -- cast members, audience, etc. -- at a disadvantage.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#105BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 11:04pm

If I were to try and defend the team surely they'd have auditioned her/made sure she is the right fit? This team hasn't made a poor casting decision yet. We were all saying DHP wouldn't fit before he stepped on stage. I personally can't see her in the role, but maybe they are seeing something we aren't seeing or haven't seen yet.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bear88
#106BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:21am

The only observation I can make is that I saw Betty Buckley in Grey Gardens  in LA a couple of years ago and thought she did a fine job. The audience was eating out of her hand; it was clear that many were very eager to see her - entrance applause, that sort of thing.

I have no idea whether she is well-suited to play Dolly (aside from my uninformed bias that it seems strange that the role has become one for a 70-year-old woman). But I'll leave that debate for people who have actually seen Hello, Dolly in a theater to hash out. I'm curious, as someone who wouldn't mind seeing the tour if the show is done well, how it goes.

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#107BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:50am

Anyone know anything about other casting for this/ hopeful casting ideas for the other roles? I for one think that it would be lovely to see Ashley Brown reprise Irene if not make her long overdue broadway return in the role! He might be a little old now/very different type-wise from a Gavin Creel, but it would also be lovely to see Rob McClure reprise his Cornelius!

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#108BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:51am

In addition I still await Jackie Hoffman’s Ernestina. Just imagine the absolute riot that would be. Though I fully understand that she would do Broadway not the tour. :)

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#109BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/15/18 at 7:38am

broadwayboy222 said: "In addition I still await Jackie Hoffman’s Ernestina. Just imagine the absolute riot that would be. Though I fully understand that she would do Broadway not the tour. :)"

OK, this made me laugh because I initially read this as "...Jackie Hoffman's Ermengarde" and I thought, wow, they'd have to bring back Carol as Dolly to make this even halfway believable. That's not saying that Jackie couldn't play Ermengarde. 

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#110BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/15/18 at 9:43pm

If this isn’t announced as part of the 2018/2019 Pittsburgh season I’ll be making another road trip to Cleveland to see this. Or cancelling “The Humans” in April in favor of a single road trip for this one as I’m sure it’ll sell out quickly. 

Updated On: 2/15/18 at 09:43 PM

faceleg Profile Photo
faceleg
#111BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/15/18 at 9:56pm

I haven't seen it mentioned before, but I saw Betty in a production of Arsenic and Old Lace opposite Tovah Feldshuh (directed by Stephen Schwartz's son, whose name escapes me), and she was hilarious! And she was sweet and charming when she came out after the show. Well to be fair, someone who worked at the theater went and told her I was there to say hi cause it was literally only me and my friend left in the lobby, so she knew it was going to be a fan. But still. I mean she can exude sweetness. It's been years, but just look at her role in the movie version of Carrie! 

Footlight Parade
#112BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/15/18 at 11:29pm

I've heard that mentioned a few times (by insiders) so your left nut is safe.

paulbrown
#113BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/17/18 at 1:17am

Fabulously weird is perfect

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#114BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/17/18 at 4:43am

If anyone cares. Betty is usually amazing with the stage door.

DylanGable
#115BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 3/9/18 at 11:20pm

I read these boards but I never post. I actually registered and logged in just to add to the discussion (for whatever it's worth on a thread that seems to have wrapped up a couple weeks ago). 

I guess I am having a hard time understanding where the idea comes from that Betty Buckley can't be "warm". It really surprises me people can say that about this performer. To be fair, I have never seen her in live theater, so that may disqualify my opinion right off the bat. But I've seen a lot of her TV and film work and I always found her very versatile, with the capacity to exude a lot of warmth and sweetness.

I'm a child of the 70s and there is a reason she was so beloved as stepmom Abby Bradford on Eight is Enough. Also, in Brian DePalma's 1976 film version of Carrie, she is basically one of the only sources of warmth in the entire movie and a pretty powerful one at that. She spends a good deal of her screen time being angry and tough (for good reasons) as gym teacher Miss Collins, but her scenes with Sissy Spacek where she takes on the role of compassionate protector are pretty darn touching and real. And she was really fantastic in last years Split with James McAvoy as his psychiatrist.

I suppose the difference between stage and film is more significant than I am grasping? Well, thanks for letting me share my opinion! (I want to see her in Dolly, btw.)