The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread

The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#2The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:25am

While I really would like to see Ebersole’s take on Dolly, this is such great news. I can’t wait to see Ms. Buckley and continue my mission to see every Dolly from this revival.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:27am

This is fantastic!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#4The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:28am

Okay the one thing Buckley is not organically is warm and funny. So this should be interesting.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#5The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:30am

I'll bet my left nut that Buckley will do a few weeks of tryout on Broadway after Bernadette leaves, making way for another blockbuster Dolly in the Fall...

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Jarethan
#6The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:31am

I hope that I am wrong, because I would like to see Dolly when it comes to Tampa, but I cannot see Betty Buckley in this role.  Can she do comedy (I did not see Triumph of Love, but nothing else she has done would indicate that she has done it)?  Also, is her singing voice suited to Dolly?  Hopefully, I am wrong.

I am not questioning her talent, just whether she will be miscast.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#8The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:35am

QueenAlice said: "Okay the one thing Buckley is not organically is warm and funny. So this should be interesting."

I’m having a hard time picturing her dinner sequence...but I’m sure it will be fine, maybe similar Bernadette’s. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#9The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:36am

The 1st time I ever saw Ms. Buckley perform on stage was in the London production of Promises, Promises in August 1970. I was 15.
How time flies!

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#10The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:39am

Are there still rumblings about Reba coming to Broadway? I could be wrong, but wasn't the story that a Broadway name would come in after Peters, then making way for a marquee name (eg REBA)? I can picture Buckley doing a short stint in NY prior to the tour. 

Updated On: 2/12/18 at 10:39 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#11The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread

I'm really holding out for Dolly Parton as the rumored "star" this fall. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#12The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread

There goes my dream of Ms. Buckley headlining a Sunset Boulevard tour. sad

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#13The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:40am

I am beyond happy!  I first saw Betty Buckley in "Promises, Promises" in London in 1969, and was immediately bowled over by her exquisite voice.  In the years since, I've seen her numerous times in concert; and once had a lengthy chat with her at a CD signing.  I cannot wait for her "Dolly".  Wonderful news.

Updated On: 2/12/18 at 10:40 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#14The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:42am

yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if she takes over for Peters for a few months before the rumored "big name" joins the show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#15The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:42am

Damn, now I'll have to find a way to see it on tour. She is such a unique actress, I can't even imagine how she will do it. It will be quite the performance.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#16The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:04am

Well. Guess I'll get getting tickets for this.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#17The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:13am

Interesting choice . Hope it goes better than the last time Buckley followed Bernadette into something.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#18The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:22am

hmmm...interesting casting to say the least.  I've enjoyed her acting but have never cared for her voice.  That vibrato is waaaaaaay to warbbly for me. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#19The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:24am

I wish I could see it, it should be fascinatingly weird. I wonder what keys they'll put her numbers in.

BwayLB
#20The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:28am

Well I never seen Betty in anything to be honest since I am not a New Yorker. But I might see this production if it is worth all the hype.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#21The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:33am

Was Ebersole only a rumor?   Bummer, I really wanted to see her in this -- and I don't "do" too many tours.  Nothing against Buckley...just a huge fan of Ebersole's.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#22The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:39am

Didn't see this one coming.  I love Betty but her vocals aren't what they used to be.

Betty sings Memory December 2017

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#23The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:40am

dramamama611 said: "Was Ebersole only a rumor? Bummer, I really wanted to see her in this -- and I don't "do" too many tours. Nothing against Buckley...just a huge fan of Ebersole's."

A rumor created here.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

JBC3
#24The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:45am

Buckley has displayed comedic chops on TV and in a play or two if I recall correctly.

Dollypop
#25The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:47am

A friend of mine was an understudy for an Off Broadway comedy that Buckley was starring in. My buddy went on several times in different roles, so I saw the show quite a few times. At one performance Buckley's part was played by her understudy, who was superior to Buckley in every way.

Betty Buckley just lacks warmth and humor.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#26The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:51am

QueenAlice said: "Okay the one thing Buckley is not organically is warm and funny. So this should be interesting."

I agree. I've seen her in 'Sunset Boulevard' back in 1996, and she was superb in that role. Her voice is exquisite (I have a few of her CDs). Yet I can't see her in the role of 'Dolly'. I think Ebersole would be the better choice. It will be interesting.