pixeltracker

ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews- Page 5

ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#100ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/23/18 at 8:12pm

The only thing I'll credit this show with is making me laugh to the point of almost needing to get up and leave to catch my breath when they levitated Lisa Howard above and across the stage to a platter of cheeseburgers.

LEV. I. TATED.

FULL-ON DEFIED GRAVITY FOR THE BURGERS.

Otherwise, pretty much agreed with the general consensus on here, even though I liked this more than On Your Feet! (though the margarita probably helped a lot there).

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#101ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/23/18 at 10:30pm

Had a bunch of friends see this last night. All are big Jimmy Buffett fans and they all said they had a blast. They all highly recommended the show and also the margaritas. That's all I needed to hear.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#102ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/24/18 at 8:19am

“Who are you to decide what a real show is?”

Someone with an opinion.

And who are you to ask pointless bitchy questions?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#103ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/24/18 at 8:27am

Of course photos at curtain call are still illegal. You’re still snapping pictures of costumes and sets are you? Those are the intellectual property of the costume and set designers and unless you have their permission, taking photos of their work is illegal.

Sure, you’re not going to get hauled off to jail, but don’t fool yourself that you’re not breaking the law.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ghostlight2
#104ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/24/18 at 12:15pm

"And who are you to ask pointless bitchy questions?"

A denizen of this board. My question may have been bitchy, but it wasnt pointless. Escape To Margaritaville is a real show. You may not like it, but it is a real show on Broadway, just like any other show on Broadway.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#105ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 5:12pm

I need an honest opinion. I'm a flop lover and a camp lover and I may have a chance to see this for free. Is it bizarro enough to be good/awful, or is it just boringly terrible?

BroadwayConcierge
#106ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 5:23pm

Scarywarhol said: "Is it bizarro enough to be good/awful, or is it just boringly terrible?"

Definitely the former. I was entertained the whole time. Just by awfulness.

If you love campy floppy stuff, go for the dancing clouds in Act II alone.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#107ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 5:29pm

If you love campy floppy stuff, go for the dancing clouds in Act II alone."

Wait, dancing clouds? Could they be better than the skeletons from In My Life?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#108ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 8:05pm

Scarywarhol said: "I need an honest opinion. I'm a flop lover and a camp lover and I may have a chance to see this for free. Is it bizarro enough to be good/awful, or is it just boringly terrible?"

If you love campy flops, this is a must see. This is one of those shows that is truly so horrible that it needs to be seen to be believed. That being said, I will be damned if I didn't have fun.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#109ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 8:25pm

ACL2006 said: "Had a bunch of friends see this last night. All are big Jimmy Buffett fans and they all said they had a blast. They all highly recommended the show and also the margaritas. That's all I needed to hear."

The show is a hot mess, and the margaritas are $16.00 and have like two tiny drops of booze in them. The frozen margaritas are not pre-mixed with tequila, so before the bartender fills your cup with lime slush, he or she will splatter the bottom of your sippy cup with less than a quarter inch of alcohol. It was the lamest drink I ever had in my life. 

As as for the show, it is jaw droppingly horrible in the "I cannot believe I am seeing this" way. The critics are going to wipe the floor with this thing. That said, it's hard to be bored with dancing clouds, flying cheeseburgers, and exploding volcanoes. 

Updated On: 2/27/18 at 08:25 PM

BroadwayConcierge
#110ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 8:27pm

I haven't stopped thinking about Lisa Howard literally levitating across the stage to eat some cheeseburgers. 

Updated On: 2/27/18 at 08:27 PM

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#111ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 8:28pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I haven't stopped thinking about Lisa Howard literally levitating across the stage to eat somecheeseburgers."

Not gonna lie, but thats the only reason I purchased tickets to this.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#112ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 8:40pm

Bwayfan292 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "I haven't stopped thinking about Lisa Howard literally levitating across the stage to eat somecheeseburgers."

Not gonna lie, but thats the only reason I purchased tickets to this.
"

That was definitely a "high" moment in the show, but nowhere near as high as the writers were when they wrote this thing. 

qafgenius122
#113ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 9:13pm

I rushed this yesterday morning, as they had a Monday evening performance, and ended getting front row center orchestra. So I was pleased as I love sitting close, especially for 40 bux, and the stage wasn't very high, so no annoying neck tilting.

However, this show was not good. Now I am not a Buffet fan, in the least (hell, upon exiting the theatre I only realized I walked past the composer/lyricist because someone said his name and I looked in that direction and assumed it was him, then googled him), I recognized maybe 2 songs, one of them being the title tune, and while the cast sounds good, vocally, I just didn't get why this show was happening. Who decided to turn his songs into a book musical?! The set was meh, the songs, for someone who isn't familiar with them, could've easily all been interchangeable, and just the plot of the show is lackluster and poorly conceived. And rushed, SO RUSHED! I had heard very mixed things from this board going in, but I don't let other people's opinions affect me, as there have been many instances where I thoroughly enjoy something that many ppl/critics hate, but the general consensus here seems to follow what I saw. I also feel bad for Lisa Howard, and not because she flies for cheeseburgers, but for having to do a show in that wig.

Don't even get me started on the audience this show attracts and in a way, creates, pushing margaritas down the audience throats. People behind me would not shut up, and the two patrons next to me, in the front row, immediately started to record the show on their phones, WHICH I SHUT DOWN REAL QUICK, and then scolded them at intermission. If you're not already a fan of Buffet I just can't see how this will have any appeal to you, which is unfortunate, as I (a 20something who attends the theatre at least once a week) should've been the ppl you are trying to attract, the Buffet fan will go to this, but they won't keep it open. I don't think anything can.

The only thing I will really take away with me from that show is the free beach ball that I got when the cast threw them out into the audience.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#114ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 9:37pm

What?! They threw beach balls into the crowd? That sounds like something out of a high school pep rally, not a Broadway show. 

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#115ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 10:03pm

msmp said: "What?! They threw beach balls into the crowd? That sounds like something out of a high school pep rally, not a Broadway show."

They literally drop over 100 from the ceiling at the end! I got one!! Best $47 beach ball I ever got! I saw Lisa Howard fly back and forth between Vegan Food and a cheeseburger, dancing clouds, a tap number that comes out of nowhere and lets not forget a character's flashbacks that are truly frightening (in many ways)! 

Yay free beach ball! - Advertising MARGARITAVILLE RESORTS as well! - Can't make this up! 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#116ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/27/18 at 11:02pm

Good Vibrations threw beach balls into the audience at the end too.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

qafgenius122
#117ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 3:33am

and look how well that turned out lol (oh the irony)

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#118ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 8:07am

"Good Vibrations threw beach balls into the audience at the end too."

As did Slava's Snow Show (but they were about 25 feet across, so you couldn't take them home).

broadwaysfguy
#119ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 8:34am

i was going to dump my tix after reading most of the reviews, now i think i will ride the wave with those interested in seeing a true trainwreck of a musical....

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#120ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 9:15am

Does anyone know if the show has some extra money in the bank from having 3 or 4 production runs before they came to Broadway?  

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

HBBrock
#121ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 12:19pm

I saw this last night, and as fluffy and silly as it is, I really enjoyed myself. The music is great. The cast is great. It does exactly what it sets out to do - be an escape! The jokes are super corny, but I chuckled at the corniness of it all.

Before anyone says I might be a shill, I have lived in NY for 10 years and have seen hundreds of Broadway and Off Broadway shows.

You just have to go into this with the right mindset, and you will have a good time.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#122ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 12:21pm

fashionguru_23 said: "Does anyone know if the show has some extra money in the bank from having 3 or 4 production runs before they came to Broadway?"

Usually, it's the other way around...

Emmaloucbway
#123ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 12:30pm

newintown said: ""Good Vibrations threw beach balls into the audience at the end too."

As didSlava's Snow Show(but they were about 25 feet across, so you couldn't take them home).
"

They’re currently doing that at Spongebob too. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#124ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE Previews
Posted: 2/28/18 at 12:33pm

haterobics said: "fashionguru_23 said: "Does anyone know if the show has some extra money in the bank from having 3 or 4 production runs before they came to Broadway?"

Usually, it's the other way around...
"

Really? I remember reading about the Gypsy with Angela Lansbury, and the original Oliver productions that toured before Broadway to make money, so once they hit Broadway, money wasn't as big of a factor.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Videos