pixeltracker

Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake- Page 2

Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#25Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 12:59am

I’m not sold. I’d rather they keep them as teenagers (or at least let them look early twenties). That’s very important to this piece for me, especially if it’s a movie. However, that of course can be up to opinion! I guess we’ll find out.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#26Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:04am

I'm surprised by the negative reaction here. I don't know from Evan Hanson, but I did see him on the Grammys and was underwhelmed. He seemed a bit nervous and tentative. But THIS? His interpretation of Maria is a revelation.  He sings it like a 16 year old that's just been hit with something he doesn't understand. He's feeling euphoria, and pain, and lust. The way he says the name at the start, like he's simply trying to comprehend. By the end, he still doesn't understand, but is awed by the feeling.

I don't know that he would be a great Tony, but this is the best version of Maria I've ever seen. The most fully realized. 

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 01:04 AM

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#27Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 4:22am

Looks wise, Ben Platt could make a very passable Tony on stage, but I'm not sure about  on film. I do not want him cast in this though based on this alone. He has to work a lot on the material in order to do it justice. The video was pretty mediocre-not entirely bad, actually some good parts(the B-Flat at the end comes to mind), but the vocals are pretty messy- forced vibrato, slightly flat at some points, and too much sliding/pop stylings in it. I wish Matthew Morrison could do it, but he's way too old. 

I think it was a mistake to post it in the first place-nobody does perfect work in auditions and nobody is perfect when beginning to work on any new song, but don't make that public knowledge by posting a filmed documentation that will most certainly not help him get the part. Even if he was great, it would be an arrogant and immature move that would lose  people's respect for him. I hope an unknown or someone famous who fits the part more vocally gets it. 

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 04:22 AM

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#28Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 4:30am

You can make Tony somewhat Evan Hansen with some work and imagination, but Ben Platt is just too much of an Evan to bring out the other sides of Tony that he unfortunately doesn't have the necessary layers to depict.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#29Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 4:32am

huh i think he sounds pretty good, plus unlike most people they may consider for the role he can actually sing the notes.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#30Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 7:12am

I think he is extremely insecure and it shows and it gets in the way of his acting. He looks uncomfortable and ashamed. Very self-conscious and therefore his mind is all over the place, but not in the lyrics or the song.

I'm beginning to think that he was lucky that his insecurity, awkwardness and mannerisms fitted the role of Evan Hansen perfectly, but that it has nothing to do with acting and that he in fact is a very poor actor.

When acting though song, the notes and song take over a lot of the acting, and it does not need all this extra sauce (like someone else in this thread beautifully said), but especially in this case, where all the sauce is just distracting mannerisms that take away from the sincerity of the singing.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#31Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 7:20am

He’s only maybe a Baby John. And that’s a big MAYBE.

Not a Tony in any way, shape, or form.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#32Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 7:29am

VintageSnarker said: "lipsynching. But that doesn't mean making a bunch of new terrible choices."

I actually think lip-synching is essential for a musical movie. This language on film is about sung thoughts, so in many cases the song serves as a kind of voice-over. 80% of the score is sung thoughts, not dialogue.

The "live theatre performance on a pavement" approach is way too literal for film. This material is per definition not literal. Even in films such as Beauty and the beast in the scene Something there (also about sung thoughts) you don't even see the characters mouthing the words. It's a voice over.

The true emotion and intention with this language lies not in literal live bleating/moaning the words in eachother's face and then use vibrato on the last one. This artform on film does not need all this extra sauce, as the music is doing much of the work already. It the elaborate filmic approach that creates well crafted scenes and emotions. Extensive editing, seeing shots that not necessarily are the mouth of the person singing, but double layers, and very importantly, this language on film is all about illusion. Pre-recorded tracks create a bigger/better than life feel, that is what causes real emotion, and it gives the actors more freedom to focus on actual acting instead of ending up with a bunch of actors looking miserable trying to hit notes and crying to get away with it.

Hearing a sung thought that is more beautiful or better than literal life immediately makes the scene soar. That is what film is about.

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 07:29 AM

The Other One
#33Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 8:23am

Elegance101 said: "Jamminman said: "There is literally no excuse to not castJeremy Jordan in this part. Unbelievable voice, dance skills and looks all in one, and he has a semi-recognizable name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTtEJiTrlTQ
"

"Too old"is a pretty goodexcuse...
"

Maybe, but Jeremy's performance here is sensational.  Impeccably sung, beautifully acted.

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 08:23 AM

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#34Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 9:23am

OK... so Ben Platt's a "no". Got it.

I wonder what people think about Jorge's original suggestion of Lucas Hedges, though... ?

Jeremy Jordon has the skills and talent noted by Elegance101, but I disagree that there's no excuse to not cast him in the movie. To me, his dark features are more akin to a Shark than a Jet. I think that would be very noticeable on screen (as opposed to on stage), especially if they cast a Latina Maria.

Lucas Hedges, on the other hand, is much more easily perceived as Polish, looks less mature than Jeremy Jordan, and can definitely act the role.

My only question is: Can he respectfully carry a tune? If he can hold pitch, and can be coached regarding musicality, I'm all in for him as Tony.

There are so many, many, many examples of Tonys who have sung the score to perfection at this point. I'm very open to a Tony who might not be the best singer, but could demonstrate enough acting chops and age-appropriate musicality (for a character Tony's age) to do the role in the movie. I think Lucas Hedges could be that guy.

Riff is more the dancing Jet in WSS, so I don't have much worry over whether Hedges can dance or not. He just has to be able to snap his fingers (>click<, >click<Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake and look pretty in the dance at the gym.

And besides... He could really use the work. Poor kid can't catch a break...

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 09:23 AM

Back Row
#35Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 9:36am

I think the choice of Tony depends a lot on the age of the actress who plays Maria. I can't imagine that they would allow too much of a gap in age (like the recent Broadway revival). You might be able to pull that off on stage, but on film, it would just be creepy. If they are going for realism, just about every name mentioned is too old. Spielberg could go two directions here: he could go with a relative  unknown who is age appropriate and allow the movie to make the kid a star, or he could stunt cast an age appropriate actor/pop star who looks the part and can sing it as well. But I don't think he has much leeway on age. Maria has to be pretty young and Tony can only be slightly older. Jeremy Jordan, Corey Cott, Ben Platt, Mathew Morrison, etc. are all too old to play this role on film. Actually, Morrison is too old to even be in the same conversation as the other three, but I thought I would include his name since it has been mentioned here. Even Corey Cott's younger brother Casey might be borderline too old, but he is actually a possibility because he can sing and he has that crazy Riverdale fan base thing going for him. 

The Other One
#36Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 9:37am

Lucas Hedges is as good a choice as any among current film actors.  Timothee Chalamet (who does not seem at all like a Tony) has stolen much of his "young gun" status, but Lucas is popular and respected.  Plus, he isn't a stranger to the musical world.  Neither is Anson Elgort, who apparently used to beat out Timothee for the leads in their musicals at LaGuardia High School. 

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#37Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 9:44am

Back Row said: "Actually, Morrison is too old to even be in the same conversation as the other three,"

I think that was the joke. wink

BroadwayConcierge
#38Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 9:48am

Lucas Hedges would be heartbreaking. I'm so about that casting.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#39Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 9:50am

The Other One said: "[...]Lucas is popular and respected. Plus, he isn't a stranger to the musical world."

Tell me more about that!

I did a cursory google to see if there was any video of him singing, but didn't spend much time on it. What's his musical experience?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#40Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 10:01am

^ he sings for a bit in Lady Bird! There’s a part where he sings Giants in the sky and he sounded great!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#41Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 10:01am

You all know I'm biased toward Corey Cott (or if you didn't, you could see it in my avatar Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake ), so it's no surprise that I wish he could do it. But it's not just because I'm a fan. His Tony at the Kennedy Center was the best I've ever seen, and not just because his singing was gorgeous. He gave it a real arc. He's not a teenager, no, but he played it more like a teenager than any other Tony I've ever seen -- just your average garden-variety hormonal teenager who suddenly has this overwhelming experience, and doesn't know what to make of it at first, but suddenly finds himself growing up fast. Fantastic performance.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#42Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 10:10am

I was just watching Beanie Feldsteins instgram story and apparently if you buy Lady Bird on iTunes you can see the entire merrily we roll along “production” (or maybe it’s just the song?) they did. So if you want to see how Lucas sounds, I’d recommend getting that

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 3/16/18 at 10:10 AM

Back Row
#43Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 10:19am

John Adams said: "Back Row said: "Actually, Morrison is too old to even be in the same conversation as the other three,"

I think that was the joke. wink
"

Yeah, I figured that, but you can never be certain with some of the fangirls/boys around here.smiley

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#44Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 10:20am

Yeah, Corey Cott was amazing.  During the New Year's Eve concert at Lincoln Center, Aaron Tveit sung the most beautiful "Maria" I have ever heard.  It was received the biggest applause of the night.  Jeremy, Aaron, or Corey.  Lucas isn't fit for Tony, he needs to be conventionally handsome.  

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 10:20 AM

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#45Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake

I completely forgot about his "Giants in the Sky" audition in Lady Bird. That's it. I'm all in for him laugh

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#46Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake

MCfan2 said: "You all know I'm biased toward Corey Cott (or if you didn't, you could see it in my avatar Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake ), so it's no surprise that I wish he could do it. But it's not just because I'm a fan. His Tony at the Kennedy Center was the best I've ever seen, and not just because his singing was gorgeous. He gave it a real arc.He's not a teenager, no, but he played it more like a teenager than any other Tony I've ever seen -- just your average garden-variety hormonal teenager who suddenly has this overwhelming experience, and doesn't know what to make of it at first, but suddenly finds himself growing up fast. Fantastic performance."

This was posted on youtube the other day. Its absolutely beautiful. Corey Cott does this song justice.

https://youtu.be/t1ecxfjbeig

But I agree with others. Ben Platt is very talented but he is not a good fit for Tony at all. Especially after hearing Corey Cott and Aaron Tveit's versions of Maria this year, i am not that impressed with Ben Platt's version. I am still perplexed as to why this remake is necessary to begin with.

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 10:20 AM

BroadwayConcierge
#47Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 10:23am

Also, if they want to go for an experienced unknown, they should cast Austin Colby, who was an earth-shattering Tony at Signature Theatre in D.C. two years ago. 

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#48Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 10:26am

I wonder if he's interested in casting unknown actors.  I have no idea about that. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#49Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/16/18 at 10:28am

Now that you brought up Lady Bird and Lucas Hedges, I'm imagining Timothee Chalamet being cast. He would probably act the hell out of the role but I don't think he has the singing voice for Tony just from clips of his high school stage performances I've seen on YouTube.