pixeltracker

Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake- Page 8

Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake

MsRed
#175Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/22/18 at 1:44am

If you watched him in Pitch Perfect you noticed that he's got the same awkwardness/nervousness, and that was before Evan/DEH.

I absolutely loved his Maria rendition, but I do think he seems to play the same "awkward/anxious, just a tad effeminate" character in most of his movie roles (you can see it in "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" and "The Female Brain" as well).

I'm looking forward to see if he shakes it off for The Politicians. 

One thing should be common sense: his voice is amazing.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#176Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/22/18 at 6:04am

EllieRose2 said: "I wonder if he's interested in casting unknown actors. I have no idea about that."

I would rather say "I wonder if he is interested in creating stars".

Some of the clips posted in this thread of relatively unknown people were just mesmerizing.

In the end, real quality attracts success. And money. 

Updated On: 3/22/18 at 06:04 AM

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#177Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/22/18 at 7:47am

MsRed said: "If you watched him in Pitch Perfect you noticed that he's got the same awkwardness/nervousness, and that was before Evan/DEH.

I absolutely loved his Maria rendition, but I do think he seems to play the same "awkward/anxious,just a tad effeminate" character in most of his movie roles (you can see it in "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" and "The Female Brain" as well).

I'm looking forward to see if he shakes it off for The Politicians.

One thing should be common sense: his voice is amazing.
"

I’m really interested to how he plays his role in Love and Oatmeal because the synopsis of that film is a vast departure from the previous roles he’s played...well I guess it could be semi related to DEH given the subject material dealing with mental illness but other than that it’s going to be different. 

MsRed
#178Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/22/18 at 6:15pm

broadwaynerdnewbie said: I’m really interested to how he plays his role in Love and Oatmeal because the synopsis of that film is a vast departure from the previous roles he’s played...well I guess it could be semi related to DEH given the subject material dealing with mental illness but other than that it’s going to be different."

I'll keep an eye on this one!

I really wanna see Ben playing a strong, confident character, who's not hyperactive or awkward in any way. That should settle some people's doubts (even mine, though I love him to bits).

SempreLiberal Profile Photo
SempreLiberal
#179Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/22/18 at 7:07pm

Aaron Tveit would be an excelllent Tony.

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#180Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/22/18 at 7:21pm

SempreLiberal said: "Aaron Tveit would be an excelllent Tony. "

My thought too. But is he too old?

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#181Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/22/18 at 7:24pm

Yes

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Fetus Profile Photo
Fetus
#182Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/24/18 at 2:13am

Jesus Christ some of the replies in here are deplorable.

I'm curious to see if this project will move any further after Spielberg just started doing readings for a different project earlier this month.

thegamesiplay
#183Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/24/18 at 1:21pm

Cat Guy said: "theaterguy11 said: "I literally heard him say to his much more attractive companion "where is he? he *must* see me"

I said out loud in the crowd: "you're hideous" and I know he heard it.
"

Going to file that in my "Never Happened" folder.
"

Ok Theatreguy, I mean I sat right near him the entire show and he never said that. If you can’t handle your own contradictions you have no business spreading malicious rumors. What did Ben Platt do to you? Kill your cat? Step on your toes? Quit your howling and go gnaw on your dusty old bone. 

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#184Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/24/18 at 5:05pm

adrnyc said: "I'm sure Ben can handle it. Our chosen career requires an incredibly thick skin, as we all know. If he can't handle some comments on the Broadway World Message Board or on YouTube, he should get out of the business while he's still young. My guess is that he's perfectly fine regardless of what anyone posts on here or elsewhere. Another guess I have is that Ben isjust as bitchy when it comes to singers he doesn't enjoy."

The person being able to “handle it” is not good excuse to be cruel.

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#185Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/24/18 at 7:04pm

This is what Ben Platt and Lin-Manuel Miranda did today.  Good men.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#186Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/26/18 at 11:56pm

Is it just me or does someone else also feel it is kind of weird that Lin and Ben are doing a lot of publicity together all of a sudden?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#187Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/27/18 at 3:30am

they just recorded a song together to benefit america’s youth so what is strange about them performing it at events that support the same march?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

TheQueenOfTheMist Profile Photo
TheQueenOfTheMist
#188Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/31/18 at 4:20pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Is it just me or does someone else also feel it is kind of weird that Lin and Ben are doing a lot of publicity together all of a sudden?"

According to Wikipedia, Lin is working on Marc Platt's Little Mermaid live adaptation. Word on the street is Lin is hoping Marc Platt will produce the In The Heights film after the Harvey debacle. Cozying up to Ben may get Marc to be more willing to open his wallet. It certainly worked for Pasek and Paul who won an Oscar for Platt's LA LA Land. Always follow the money. 

theaterdarling
#189Steven Spielberg, keep ben Platt away from the west side story remake
Posted: 3/31/18 at 5:51pm

According to Wikipedia, Lin is working on Marc Platt's Little Mermaid live adaptation. Word on the street is Lin is hoping Marc Platt will produce the In The Heights film after the Harvey debacle. Cozying up to Ben may get Marc to be more willing to open his wallet. It certainly worked for Pasek and Paul who won an Oscar for Platt's LA LA Land. Always follow the money."

IMHO,  the flaw in this analysis is that I don't think Lin needs to cozy up to anyone to get his musical projects made. Certainly he does not have to kowtow to Ben Platt (or Marc Platt for that matter--I think the reverse, might be true, though). I would suggest that as soon as the rights to  "In The Heights" revert  back to Lin from Weinstein Co.., he  will have no shortage of suitors and does not NEED  Marc Platt to open his wallet. I'm sure many studios would make "In the Heights" at a loss (especially since Lin said he wanted the production to be a "scrappy" one) in order to establish a relationship with him that gets them the ultimate prize of film rights to "Hamilton."

I think Lin will creatively ally with anyone it makes sense to in order to bring attention to a cause he believes him (like March For Our Lives) and wants to raise money for.  A mash-up of Story of Tonight/You Will Be Found spoke to him and served those ends, Ben would have been an idiot not to board that train and agree to perform the duet, once others granted the rights, given the glow one receives when standing in Lin's light (despite the Tony and recent projects Ben is still hardly a household name)-- and, of course, it made a certain amount of sense for Ben to sing the song as he still the most recognizable face from DEH. Bottom line,  I think a lot of people need Lin more than he needs them.

By the way, now that the question of Ben or no Ben for the role of Tony has been debated to a fare-thee-well, I would now pose the question of why Spielberg? A master director, of course, but not 100% sure that he is right either.

Latest Posts