pixeltracker

Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!- Page 3

Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!

Lindsay is a goddess
#50Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/28/18 at 9:34pm

Could you explain how Diana Rigg is giving a Tony-worthy performance with only two scenes and no song in sight? And yes I know Gladys Cooper got an Oscar nom for the film, but I think we can all agree the Oscars and Tonys are two separate beasts.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#51Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/28/18 at 9:38pm

Lindsay, part of it is definitely related to the significant stature of it simply being Diana freaking Rigg. But while Mrs. Higgins is a very small part, she nails each moment. She offers a perfect foil to the chatterbox Eliza at the Ascot, as well as to the dastardly Henry in the scene at her home. She wouldn't win the Tony this year, but I think a nomination is completely warranted.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#52Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/28/18 at 9:40pm

GeorgeandDot said: “I have to say though, Tony Shalhoub gave the most memorable lead actor performance of the year for me. Even though his singing is minimal, his acting is phenomenal and his chemistry with Katrina is brilliant."

That Lead Actor race is so interesting to me this year, because I genuinely think that any one of the four of them could win. I can’t remember the last time it was such an even split! They all deserve it for different reasons.

I saw Band’s Visit earlier this month, so with Dariush Kashani. And I thought he was fantastic... but I still wish I could see Tony Shalhoub play the role to enjoy what so many people are enjoying. John Cariani happened to be out that night as well. I was so disappointed to get that slip of paper, since I liked him so much in Something Rotten, but after the show I remember scratching my head that that small and forgettable role was in talks for a Tony nom. Pomme Koch was on for Itzik, and he was perfectly good, but definitely nothing memorable about the character - so I feel like Cariani must be giving one hell of a performance. I loved the show and wouldn’t mind seeing it again, so I’m considering going back for seconds when Shalhoub is in to catch both of their performances. Either way, Katrina Lenk was incredible and so memorable, and I look forward to her well-deserved speech on Tony night!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#53Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/28/18 at 9:47pm

JudyDenmark said: "so I feel like Cariani must be givingone hell of a performance."

Not really. I would just say that Cariani, much like Shalhoub, Sachel, Kantor and Benson, are all delivering really solid performances in a show that pays homage to the minutiae and quiet melancholy of average people. Cariani gets "Itzak's Lullaby," which is just a very touching in its simplicity, and that resonates with people, even though he doesn't do much. Cariani is perfect for the role, and does a flawless job with it, but I think it's more the subtly emotional nature of the role that people are responding to. I doubt the understudy you saw was noticeably worse than Cariani. 

laurabenantilover
#54Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/28/18 at 9:53pm

Here's my thoughts on the musicals (can't really comment on the plays but have seen all of the musicals)

Best Musical:

THE BANDS VISIT

Spongebob

Mean Girls

Frozen

Best Revival:

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND

My Fair Lady

Carousel

Leading Actor:

JOSHUA HENRY, ETHAN SLATER (for me it's really in between these two... will be close)

Tony Shalhoub

Harry Hadden-Paton

Leading Actress:

KATRINA LENK

Lauren Ambrose

Hailey Kilgore

Taylor Louderman

Jessie Mueller or Patti Murin (this catergory is really hard for me... I think that Mueller's performance in general was much better but did not fit with the rest of the show. Murin blended into the show, but was not stand-out. I think right now Mueller is leading for me but it could go either way)

Featured Actor:

NORBERT LEO BUTZ

Gavin Lee

Alex Newell

Grey Henson

Alexander Germingnani (I really want it to be one of The Bands Visit's guys, but my gut feeling is that they will split the vote)

Features Actress:

LINDSAY MENDEZ

Ashley Park

Kate Rockwell

Barrett Wilbert-Weed 

Lea Salonga or Kenita R. Miller (I'm really hoping for Kenita to take it but who knows)

A lot of people say Diana RIgg is going to take a nom... personally I saw her performance as good but not tony material. The only world where I could truly see this happening is if Salonga and Miller or Weed and Rockwell split the vote.

One other thing... why is nobody considering Tamyra Gray? Is she ineligable? Personally I saw her performance as better than Salonga, Miller, Weed, and Rockwell

JudyDenmark
#55Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/28/18 at 9:57pm

laurabenantilover said: "One other thing... why is nobody considering Tamyra Gray? Is she ineligable? Personally I saw her performance as better than Salonga, Miller, Weed, and Rockwell"

She’s ineligible because she didn’t originate the role - that was Merle Dandridge in December when it opened. That said, I thought Dandridge was phenomenal, and I would absolutely not argue with her name showing up! It’s such a cool interpretation of Papa Ge.

laurabenantilover
#56Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/28/18 at 10:02pm

JudyDenmark said: "laurabenantilover said: "One other thing... why is nobody considering Tamyra Gray? Is she ineligable? Personally I saw her performance as better than Salonga, Miller, Weed, and Rockwell"

She’s ineligible because she didn’t originate the role - that was Merle Dandridge in December when it opened. That said, I thought Dandridge was phenomenal, and I would absolutely not argue with her name showing up! It’s such a cool interpretation of Papa Ge.

"

Though I think it's also important to note that imo the interpretation of papa ge was a choice of the director, not exactly the actor, which is why I think (though it's an unpopular opinion) that Michael Arden should win the Tony

JudyDenmark
#57Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/28/18 at 10:05pm

laurabenantilover said: "Though I think it's also important to note that imo the interpretation of papa ge was a choice of the director, not exactly the actor, which is why I think (though it's an unpopular opinion) that Michael Arden should win the Tony"

Couldn't agree more, and I’d be thrilled to see him win! I loved his choices for the whole show.

Lindsay is a goddess
#58Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/28/18 at 10:07pm

JudyDenmark said: "laurabenantilover said: "One other thing... why is nobody considering Tamyra Gray? Is she ineligable? Personally I saw her performance as better than Salonga, Miller, Weed, and Rockwell"

"

I really enjoyed Dandridge’s performance, but given the fact that she’s been gone from the show for so long, I think the nominations will overlook her. Agree though that she gave a marvelous performance and would definitely be deserving of recognition, were she still performing in the show.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#59Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/28/18 at 10:11pm

About Cariani, I just thought his portrayal was really complex and layered. I really cannot imagine anyone else bringing the same kind of quirky, funny, sadness to the part. He plays it as a man who's hiding from reality through his humor and charisma. His lullaby is so subtle and heartbreaking. I thought he was truly impressive because he took what otherwise might have been a forgettable part and made it so much more.

Emmaloucbway
#60Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 1:21am

I've seen all the musicals this year so here are my predictions for the best musical/revival and all the acting categories (A lot of it is similar to what others have posted on here):

BEST MUSICAL:
The Band's Visit*

Spongebob

Mean Girls

Frozen

BEST REVIVAL:
Once On This Island*

My Fair Lady

Carousel

BEST ACTOR:
Harry Hadden-Paton*

Joshua Henry

Ethan Slater

Tony Shalhoub

BEST ACTRESS:
Katrina Lenk*
Lauren Ambrose

Hailey Kilgore

Taylor Louderman

Patti Murin

BEST FEATURED ACTOR:
Gavin Lee*
Norbert Leo Butz

Alex Newell

Ari'el Stachel

Grey Henson

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS:
Lindsay Mendez*
Ashley Park

Kate Rockwell

Barrett Wilbert Weed

Lea Salonga/Merle Dandridge/Kenita Miller (I think the last slot will go to someone from OOTI but I am not sure who) 

CoolDogeGuy Profile Photo
CoolDogeGuy
#61Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 5:21am

Best Musical - Spongebob Squarepants, The Band's Visit, Mean Girls, Frozen

Best Play - The Children, Farinelli and the King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, 1984

Best Revival of a Musical - My Fair Lady, Once on this Island, Carousel

Best Revival of a Play - Angels in America, Lobby Hero, The Iceman Cometh, Three Tall Women

Best Score - The Band's Visit, Frozen, Spongebob Squarepants, Mean Girls

Best Book - Spongebob Squarepants, Mean Girls, The Band's Visit, Frozen

Best Leading Actor in a Musical - Ethan Slater (Spongebob Squarepants), Joshua Henry (Carousel), Paul Alexander Nolan (Escape to Margaritaville), Harry Hadden-Patton (My Fair Lady)

Best Featured Actor in a Musical - Adam Kantor (The Band's Visit), Gavin Lee (Spongebob Squarepants), Jelani Alladin (Frozen), Alex Newell (Once on This Island), Grey Henson (Mean Girls) [THIS IS ONE HECK OF A CATEGORY]

Best Leading Actress in a Musical - Jessie Mueller (Carousel), Taylor Louderman (Mean Girls), Katrina Lenk (The Band's Visit), Hailey Kilgore (Once on This Island), Caissie Levy (Frozen) [SORRY PATTI AND ERIKA, THIS IS ONE HECK OF A CATEGORY TOO]

Best Featured Actress in a Musical - Lindsay Mendez (Carousel), Barrett Wilbert Weed (Mean Girls),
Emily Skinner (Prince of Broadway), Ashley Park (Mean Girls), Kate Rockwell (Mean Girls)

Best Leading Actor in a Play - Andrew Garfield (Angels in America), Tom Sturridge (1984), Mark Rylance (Farinelli), Jamie Parker (Harry Potter), Steven Pasquale (Junk)

Best Featured Actor in a Play - Nathan Lane (Angels), Keegan-Michael Key (Meteor Shower), Michael
Cera (Lobby Hero), Anthony Boyle (Harry Potter)

Best Leading Actress in a Play - Elizabeth McGovern (Time and the Conways), Lauren Ridloff (Children of a Lesser God), Amy Schumer (Meteor Shower), Glenda Jackson (Three Tall Women), Olivia
Wilde (1984)

Best Featured Actress in a Play - Celia Weston (Marvin's Room), Alison Pill (Three Tall Women), Phillipa Soo (The Parisian Woman), Anna Camp (Time and the Conways)

Best Set of a Musical - Spongebob Squarepants, Once on This Island, Mean Girls, Frozen

Best Direction of a Musical - Spongebob Squarepants, Once on This Island, My Fair Lady, Mean Girls

Best Lighting of a Musical - Frozen, Summer, Spongebob Squarepants, Once on This Island

Best Costumes of a Musical - Prince of Broadway, Spongebob Squarepants, Once on This Island, Frozen

Best Choreography - Carousel, Once on This Island, Spongebob Squarepants, Mean Girls, Escape to
Margaritaville

Best Sound Design of a Musical - Spongebob Squarepants, Once on This Island, The Band's Visit,
Summer

Best Orchestrations - Prince of Broadway, Spongebob Squarepants, The Band's Visit, Frozen

Best Set of a Play - Angels in America, Farinelli and the King, M. Butterfly, The Terms of My Surrender, Travesties

Best Direction of a Play - Angels in America, Farinelli and the King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, The Iceman Cometh

Best Lighting of a Play - Travesties, 1984, Angels in America, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Best Costumes for a Play - Farinelli and the King, M. Butterfly, Saint Joan, Angels in America

Best Sound Design of a Play - Latin History for Morons, John Lithgow: Stories by Heart, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, 1984

------------------------------------------------------
I don't even know anymore guys... I just tried to give all of the plays and musicals a category... Probably MOST of these will be wrong.. WELP Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!

HELLO PEOPLE! :D

ElphabaGoodman
#62Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 1:02pm

CoolDogeGuy said: "

Best Featured Actress in a Play - Celia Weston (Marvin's Room), Alison Pill (Three Tall Women), Phillipa Soo (The Parisian Woman), Anna Camp (Time and the Conways)

"

I highly doubt any of those ladies will be nominated, other than Allison Pill. Denise Gough has this one pretty much guaranteed. Nominated alongside her will likely be Laurie Metcalf, Noma Dumezweni and Poppy Miller...

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#63Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 1:37pm

Lindsay is a goddess said: "Could you explain how Diana Rigg is giving a Tony-worthy performance with only two scenes and no song in sight? And yes I know Gladys Cooper got an Oscar nom for the film, but I think we can all agree the Oscars and Tonys are two separate beasts."

It’s a memorable role, being played by a theatre legend. And you are not required to sing to be nominated. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Lindsay is a goddess
#64Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 1:47pm

Mildred Plotka said: "Lindsay is a goddess said: "Could you explain how Diana Rigg is giving a Tony-worthy performance with only two scenes and no song in sight? And yes I know Gladys Cooper got an Oscar nom for the film, but I think we can all agree the Oscars and Tonys are two separate beasts."

It’s a memorable role, being played by a theatre legend. And you are not required to sing to be nominated.
"

I’m just pointing out that in the history of My Fair Lady, no Mrs. Higgins has ever been nominated for a Tony. Then again, those probably weren’t in as weak a season as this one. Also I wasn’t insulting Rigg or the role, just so we’re clear. Simply asking for some clarification as to why people believed so strongly she would be nominated over actresses like Kenita Miller or even Renée Fleming.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#65Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 3:41pm

(Haven't seen enough plays this season to make any predictions on that front, so I'm sticking to musicals until I see more of them!) 

BEST MUSICAL
The Band's Visit
Frozen
Mean Girls
SpongeBob SquarePants

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
My Fair Lady
Once on This Island

Carousel 

BEST ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Harry Hadden-Paton, My Fair Lady
Joshua Henry, Carousel
Paul Alexander Nolan, Escape to Margaritaville 
Tony Shalhoub, The Band's Visit
Ethan Slater, SpongeBob SquarePants

BEST ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Lauren Ambrose, My Fair Lady
Hailey Kilgore, Once on This Island
Katrina Lenk, The Band's Visit
Taylor Louderman, Mean Girls
Jessie Mueller, Carousel 

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Norbert Leo Butz, My Fair Lady
John Cariani, The Band's Visit 
Gavin Lee, SpongeBob SquarePants
Alex Newell, Once on This Island
Ari'el Stachel, The Band's Visit
(Other Possibilities: One of the other TBV men, Grey Henson for Mean Girls

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Lindsay Mendez, Carousel
Ashley Park, Mean Girls
Diana Rigg, My Fair Lady
Lea Salonga, Once on This Island 
Barrett Wilbert Weed, Mean Girls

BEST DIRECTION OF A MUSICAL
Michael Arden, Once on This Island
David Cromer, The Band's Visit
Casey Nicholaw, Mean Girls
Tina Landau, SpongeBob SquarePants
Bartlett Sher, My Fair Lady

BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL
Tina Fey, Mean Girls
Kyle Jarrow, SpongeBob SquarePants
Jennifer Lee, Frozen
Itamar Moses, The Band's Visit

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Nell Benjamin and Jeff Richmond, Mean Girls
Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Frozen
David Yazbek, The Band's Visit
All of 'em, SpongeBob SquarePants

BEST ORCHESTRATIONS
Imogen Heap, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Tom Kitt, SpongeBob SquarePants
AnnMarie Milazzo and Michael Starobin, Once on This Island
Jamshied Sharifi, The Band's Visit

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY
Camille A. Brown, Once on This Island
Christopher Gattelli, SpongeBob SquarePants
Steven Hoggett, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Casey Nicholaw, Mean Girls
Justin Peck, Carousel

BEST COSTUME DESIGN IN A MUSICAL
Sarah Laux, The Band's Visit
Christopher Oram, Frozen
Clint Ramos, Once on This Island
David Zinn, SpongeBob SquarePants
Catherine Zuber, My Fair Lady

BEST LIGHTING DESIGN IN A MUSICAL
Kevin Adams, SpongeBob SquarePants
Peggy Eisenhauer & Jules Fisher, Once on This Island
Natasha Katz, Frozen
Tyler Micoleau, The Band's Visit
Kenneth Posner, Mean Girls

BEST SCENIC DESIGN IN A MUSICAL
Dane Laffrey, Once on This Island
Christopher Oram, Frozen
Scott Pask, The Band's Visit
Michael Yeargan, My Fair Lady
David Zinn, SpongeBob SquarePants

BEST SOUND DESIGN IN A MUSICAL
Kai Harada, The Band's Visit
Peter Hylenski, Frozen
Peter Hylenski, Once on This Island
Walter Trarbach, SpongeBob SquarePants
Marc Salzberg, My Fair Lady

Wayman_Wong
#66Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 4:01pm

''I’m just pointing out that in the history of My Fair Lady, no Mrs. Higgins has ever been nominated for a Tony.''

In the history of the Tonys, no one's been nominated for playing Billy, Julie or Nettie in ''Carousel'' either.

Or Tony or Bernardo in ''West Side Story.'' Etc., etc.

You can win a Tony for a musical without singing. Notably, Natalia Makarova in ''On Your Toes'' (1984) for Leading Actress. And I've heard, Thomas Mitchell in ''Hazel Flagg'' (1953) for Leading Actor. 

Finally, for the record, the Drama Desk recently nominated Diana Rigg (''My Fair Lady'' ) for Featured Actress in a Musical.

Updated On: 4/29/18 at 04:01 PM

rg7759
#67Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 4:17pm

spongebob has a shot for best musical.

BroadwayConcierge
#68Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 4:19pm

rg7759 said: "spongebob has a shot for best musical."

Nomination, yes. Win, no.

Lindsay is a goddess
#69Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 4:34pm

rg7759 said: "spongebob has a shot for best musical."

Best Musical is going to The Band’s Visit, end of discussion.

rg7759
#70Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 4:44pm

based on what, marketing? didnt we say that about hillary? its by no means a hamilton or as good as the hype. im just saying the deal isnt sealed.

BroadwayConcierge
#71Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 4:45pm

rg7759 said: "im just saying the deal isnt sealed."

Yes it is.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#72Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 4:56pm

The deal really isn't sealed for The Band's Visit to win. Nominated, yes, but win, no. I think this year will have a lot of snubs, and surprises, like the Drama Desks.

Here is my final list:

Best Musical:

The Band's Visit

Mean Girls: The Musical

Spongebob Squarepants

Alt: Frozen or Summer

Best Play:

Harry Potter

Junk

Farinelli and The King

Alt: Meteor Shower or The Children

Best Revival of a Musical:

Once on This Island

My Fair Lady

Carousel

Best Revival of a Play: 

Angels in America

Three Tall Women

Iceman Cometh

Lobby Hero

Best Actor in a Musical:

Ethan Slater - Spongebob Squarepants

Joshua Henry - Carousel 

Tony Shalhoub - The Band's Visit

Harry Hadden-Paton - My Fair Lady

Best Actress in a Musical:

Hailey Kilgore - Once on This Island

Katrina Lenk - The Band's Visit

Jessie Mueller - Carousel

Taylor Louderman - Mean Girls

Lauren Ambrose - My Fair Lady

Alt: Patti Murin - Frozen

Best Featured Actor in a Musical:

Alex Newell - Once on This Island 

Gavin Lee- Spongebob Squarepants

Norbert Leo Butz - My Fair Lady

Grey Henson - Mean Girls

Alt: One of The Band's Visit men

Best Featured Actress in a Musical:

Ashley Park - Mean Girls (I think she should win, but will split the vote with Rockwell and Weed leaving it open for Mendez to win)

Barrett Wilbert Weed - Mean Girls

Kate Rockwell - Mean Girls

Lindsay Mendez - Carousel

Alt: Merle Dandrige, Lea Salonga or Kenita Miller - Once on This Island

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#73Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 4:58pm

I wouldn't even say SpongeBob is a sure thing to win the Drama Desk. I'd personally love to see KPOP win there.

If SpongeBob beats out The Band's Visit, it would be one of the oddest results for a most bizarre season. I think The Band's Visit will handily will.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#74Post Your Final 2018 Tony Nomination Predictions!
Posted: 4/29/18 at 5:11pm

The Band's Visit is winning Best Musical.

Videos