pixeltracker

Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread- Page 4

Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread

johnmichael
#75Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/2/18 at 4:47am

HeyMrMusic said: "I’m crossing my fingers for Clint Ramos’s brilliant costume design for Once On This Island. I also love David Zinn’s design for SpongeBob. Both are so creative, using found objects to build fully realized, imaginative, larger-than-life characters. Tablecloth skirts, electrical wire headpieces, Coke can demon spikes, rubber glove mermaid tails, tap dancing tentacles... Those are the two designs I’m rooting for."

literally for this reason alone neither of these should win. as the subsequent poster says, 'creative' as they are ,(and they certainly are)  the use of found objects is not broadway quality theatre costume design, the award is Zubers.

Updated On: 6/2/18 at 04:47 AM

CoolDogeGuy Profile Photo
CoolDogeGuy
#76Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/2/18 at 5:10am

My Predictions and who I think should win:

Best Play:
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One and Two

Best Musical:
The Band’s Visit

Best Revival of a Play:
Angels in America

Best Revival of a Musical:
Once On This Island

Best Book of a Musical:
The Band’s Visit

Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre:
The Band’s Visit

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play:
Andrew Garfield, Angels in America

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play:
Glenda Jackson, Edward Albee’s Three Tall Women

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical:
Ethan Slater, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical:
Hailey Kilgore, Once On This Island

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play:
Nathan Lane, Angels in America

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play:
Deborah Findlay, The Children

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical:
Grey Henson, Mean Girls

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical:
Lindsay Mendez, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel

Best Scenic Design of a Play:
Farinelli and The King

Best Scenic Design of a Musical:
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical

Best Costume Design of a Play:
Farinelli and The King

Best Costume Design of a Musical:
Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel
OR
(I'm heading towards SpongeBob more though...)

Best Lighting Design of a Play:
Junk

Best Lighting Design of a Musical:

Best Sound Design of a Play:

Best Sound Design of a Musical:

Best Direction of a Play:
Travesties

Best Direction of a Musical:
Mean Girls

Best Choreography:

Best Orchestrations:
SpongeBob SquarePants

HELLO PEOPLE! :D

serena221b Profile Photo
serena221b
#77Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/2/18 at 9:38am

Even though I know it's probably not going to happen, I really hope Gavin Lee wins Best Featured Actor in a Musical. He is too good to be without a Tony for this long! Plus, my sister went to see Spongebob back in May, and she told me that after "I'm Not a Loser" there was a minute long standing ovation for Gavin.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#78Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/2/18 at 2:18pm

I haven't seen Norbert yet, but I would love love to see Gavin win! I had a huge smile every time he was on stage and I just know that my dad, who loved Spongebob and was excited for this show, would have loved him! If Ethan doesn't win, I hope it's Gavin.

I saw Band's Visit on Wednesday. Even though it is special and I did enjoy it, I was overall underwhelmed. Toby's replacement was wonderful. Katrina was nice and lovely, especially with her songs, but I think there are other leading actresses in the category who are giving out stronger and meatful performances. I didn't really like the music either, minus Answer Me and Katrina's solos. The orchestrations and the lighting & scenic designs are gorgeous and they deserve any of them!   

Updated On: 6/2/18 at 02:18 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#79Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/2/18 at 2:50pm

I have a real soft spot for Gavin Lee and would love to see him win. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#80Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/2/18 at 2:54pm

I also thought Gavin Lee was wonderful. He brings such heart and humanity to that role.

TexanAddams18
#81Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/2/18 at 2:57pm

I wonder if maybe they give featured to Gavin and give lead to Hadden-Paton. I have had a lot of friends say the one bright spot of spongebob was Gavin's number, and for me it was certainly the most memorable moment of the show. It reminds me when Gabriel Ebert won and then Porter won over Carvel for Lead. 

Updated On: 6/2/18 at 02:57 PM

CoolDogeGuy Profile Photo
CoolDogeGuy
#82Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/2/18 at 7:13pm

I really wish both Grey and Gavin could win. I love Gavin's number and it definitely deserves a minute-long standing ovation, but I'm heading towards Grey winning the tony more because he portrays Damien very well (in my opinion) and I feel he deserves it. Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread

HELLO PEOPLE! :D

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#83Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/2/18 at 7:24pm

My predictions, FWIW:

Best Play:
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One and Two

Best Musical:
The Band’s Visit

Best Revival of a Play:
Angels in America

My Fair Lady

Best Book of a Musical:
Mean Girls

Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre:
The Band’s Visit

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play:
Andrew Garfield, Angels in America

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play:
Glenda Jackson, Edward Albee’s Three Tall Women

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical:
Joshua Henry, Carousel

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical:
Katrina Lenk, The Band’s Visit

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play:
Nathan Lane, Angels in America

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play:
Noma Dumezweni, Harry Potter

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical:
Norbert Leo Butz, My Fair Lady

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical:
Ashley Park, Mean Girls

Angels in America

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

The Band’s Visit

John Tiffany, Harry Potter

David Cromer, The Band’s Visit

Best Choreography:

Best Orchestrations:
The Band’s Visit

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#84Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 1:54am

johnmichael said: "HeyMrMusic said: "I’m crossing my fingers for Clint Ramos’s brilliant costume design for Once On This Island. I also love David Zinn’s design for SpongeBob. Both are so creative, using found objects to build fully realized, imaginative, larger-than-life characters. Tablecloth skirts, electrical wire headpieces, Coke can demon spikes, rubber glove mermaid tails, tap dancing tentacles... Those are the two designs I’m rooting for."

literally for this reason alone neither of these should win. as the subsequent poster says, 'creative' as they are ,(and they certainly are) the use of found objects is not broadway quality theatre costume design,the award is Zubers.
"

We have different definitions of “Broadway quality theatre costume design” then. I think Clint Ramos gave us a brilliant costume design with his evolution and devolution of each of the characters, like the storytellers using what they can salvage from the wrecked island to bring everything to life and calm the fears of the little girl. This goes along with the concept of Michael Arden’s production, which is why the orchestrations are made of found items and voices (giving us the first vocal arranger to be a Tony nominee), the set design is the remnants of a storm, etc. It is a design (and execution) award, and it’s my opinion that the costumes more than serve the piece but elevate it, much like everything else in this production. 

I’m a big fan of Zuber’s. She never gives less than perfection. It’s almost unfair to pit costumes in My Fair Lady (given the exorbitant budget, size of the production, and style of the show) against the small but mighty Once On This Island. Such is the game.

Shh_413
#85Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 2:39am

I don't know the answer to this, which is why I'm asking, but do the Tonys normally acknowledge avant-garde or non-traditional costumes (i.e. OOTI or Spongebob) over traditional, period-piece costumes (i.e. MFL)? Because they're all creative in their own right, but I just thought that at least OOTI and Spongebob present costumes that are both appropriate to their shows (storm-ravaged and found objects at the bottom of the ocean which is actually a nod to quite a few episodes in the show, respectively) and give a unique twist over something seen time and time again in countless plays and musicals through the years.

Kind of when Mad Max: Fury Road won in the corresponding Oscar category over The Danish Girl or Cinderella.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#86Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 9:17am

Costume Design in a Musical typically goes to big, lush, and flashy, and often period. I’d say only Fela! winning this category was when a less flashier design won (many thought La Cage would win in 2010).

Zuber has one six Tonys for her beautiful period costume designs. Ramos won surprisingly for Eclipsed, another show where costume told a story and had an arc. Zinn has a Tony for his cutaway apartment set for The Humans. These threee couldn’t be any different in style or approach. Logic would say Zuber is a clear winner if you look at how the voters typically vote. Zinn would be next in line and Ramos in bronze or pewter. But who knows, voters could have really loved Carousel and Ann Roth could win a second Tony.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#87Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 10:52am

anislander said: "I feel like I wake up every day with a new winner in mind for Best Actor in a Musical. In my gut, I think it will go to Hadden-Patton, but also Henry is pretty overdue for his Tony. I can't remember being so stumped about an awards category in the recent past."

Joshua Henry has only been nominated twice before, so if you ask me, he's far from overdue at this point especially compared to the likes of Danny Burstein, Scott Ellis, and Estelle Parsons.

Updated On: 6/3/18 at 10:52 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#88Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 11:04am

As for my current predictions, they are...

Best Musical:
The Band's Visit

Best Play:
Harry Potter & the Cursed Child

My Fair Lady

Best Revival of a Play:
Angels in America

Best Performance By a Leading Actor in a Musical:
Tony Shalhoub-The Band's Visit

Best Performance By a Leading Actress in a Musical:
Katrina Lenk-The Band's Visit

Best Performance By a Leading Actor in a Play:
Andrew Garfield-Angels in America

Best Performance By a Leading Actress in a Play:
Glenda Jackson-Three Tall Women

Best Performance By a Featured Actor in a Musical:
Norbert Leo Butz-My Fair Lady

Best Performance By a Featured Actress in a Musical:
Ashley Park-Mean Girls

Best Performance By a Featured Actor in a Play:
Nathan Lane-Angels in America

Best Performance By a Featured Actress in a Play:
Noma Dumezweni-Harry Potter & the Cursed Child

David Cromer-The Band's Visit

John Tiffany-Harry Potter & the Cursed Child

Best Original Score:
The Band's Visit

Best Book of a Musical:
The Band's Visit

Best Choreography:
Justin Peck-Carousel

Best Orchestrations:
Tom Kitt-SpongeBob SquarePants

Walter Trarbach & Mike Dobson-SpongeBob SquarePants

Gareth Fry-Harry Potter & the Cursed Child

Jules Fisher & Peggy Eisenhauer-Once on This Island

Neil Austin-Harry Potter & the Cursed Child

Michael Yeargan-My Fair Lady

Christine Jones-Harry Potter & the Cursed Child

Catherine Zuber-My Fair Lady

Jonathan Fensom-Farinelli & the King

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#89Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 11:15am

I remember when that musical Brooklyn made a big deal about finding trash and using it for their sets and costumes and they were pretty much maligned (jokes about piss-stained mattresses and hoping the actresses playing the Fantine-like mother character in the beginning received another paycheck as a member of the crew for having nothing to do after her death like 5 minutes in the show and ended up just re-arranging the trash for the "set changes" ).

So the fact that OoTI received a costume design nomination is incredibly commendable. It's not just using unconventional material that got OoTI its costume design nomination but the actual designs themselves how well the OoTI were able to make it work. To me, Broadway does not have to mean expensive quality or period, but anything that truly serves and captures the spirt of the production and its story, character, and themes in an amazing fashion. 

Updated On: 6/3/18 at 11:15 AM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#90Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 11:46am

Where is all this sudden Noma Dumezweni love? Is it just picking a Dark Horse winner to possibly upset the pool? Denise has it in the bag.

Shh_413
#91Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 12:58pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Costume Design in a Musical typically goes to big, lush, and flashy, and often period. I’d say only Fela! winning this category was when a less flashier design won (many thought La Cage would win in 2010).

Zuber has one six Tonys for her beautiful period costume designs. Ramos won surprisingly for Eclipsed, another show where costume told a story and had an arc. Zinn has a Tony for his cutaway apartment set for The Humans. These threee couldn’t be any different in style or approach. Logic would say Zuber is a clear winner if you look at how the voters typically vote. Zinn would be next in line and Ramos in bronze or pewter. But who knows, voters could have really loved Carousel and Ann Roth could win a second Tony.
"

Well, that's unfortunate, because as amazing as most period costumes this season are, they could shuffle around the costumes in the different shows and most people wouldn't notice. You could change the color, type of cloth, style of clothing, etc. mid-run and I don't think many would bat an eye. I don't think you can do that with OOTI or Spongebob. Also, the type of clothing is reflective for each character (not character type: i.e. poor vs. upper-class characters) in the ensembles, which is the only reason I can come up with why Mean Girls was nominated in this category.

MrJNLong
#92Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 3:00pm

NO GUTS, NO GLORY (The prediction I am making that almost no one else seems to be making):

Ari'el Statchel (Featured Actor in a Musical) - I really think this could happen. For whatever reason, this reminds me of Michael Aronov winning last year for Oslo.  I think its hard to pick between Grey Henson and Gavin Lee whose performances seem kinda similar. And Butz seemed to get less awesome reviews than expected...so I'm predicting Statchel here...call me crazy

UNPOPULAR OPINION (Thoughts I have that no one seems to agree with, so I am not going to predict them, but wish they would win any way):

Jamie Parker (Actor in a Play) & Anthony Boyle (Featured Actor in a Play) - I agree with everyone else who is predicting Garfield and Lane (two actors whom I very much admire and respect), but I actually think Parker ad Boyle are giving slightly better performances.  I understand that the material Garfield and Lane are working with is more respected, but what Parker and Boyle have done with lesser text is truly fantastic acting in my eyes.  They made me care. And I was very surprised by that. Garfield was a bit too 'actey' for my tastes, and in Angels, I never lost sight of the fact that these were all really good actors acting. So whereas I won't be mad when Garfield and Lane win, if I were in charge I would give it to Parker and Boyle (well, for sure Parker any way).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WIN (Of all the races, if I could guarantee only one winner, it would be):

John Tiffany (Director of a Play) - not because of all of the 'magic tricks' but because of all of the staging that wasn't 'magic tricks' but was still so moving and magical.  He was able to turn what many are calling a poor script into a truly moving and meaningful experience. He made witches and wizards seem so human.

STRONGEST CATEGORY (every performance is award worthy):

Actor in a Play

WEAKEST CATEGORY (none of these potential winners excite me):

Featured Actress in a Musical

MOST LIKELY TO WIN (Lots of sure bets this year - Play, Musical, Revival of a Play, Sound Design of a Play - but if I had to pick only one thing to bet on)

Glenda Jackson (Actress in a Play)

TOO CLOSE TO CALL (No one seems to know which way the wind will blow here. Nothing could surprise me when these envelopes are opened):

Actor in a Musical, Revival of a Musical

LEAST LIKELY TO WIN (There are lots of nominees that I feel have no no chance of winning, but here are the ones that really would make me think someone was playing a joke on me if they were to win):

Condola Rashad (Actress in a Play), LaChanze (Actress in a Musical), Frozen (Book of a Musical), Iceman Cometh (Scenic Design of a Play, Sound Design of a Play), Mean Girls (Costume Design of Musical)

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#93Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 3:07pm

Once again, I really didn't find any of the actors in Harry Potter to be award worthy. Nomination worthy? Yes. But none of them should win in my opinion.

The actors in Angels have better material, yes, but it is also harder material. You shouldn't win just because you can make crap dialogue sound good.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#94Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 3:31pm

It also shouldn't be a triumph to make witches and wizards seem human because they are human. The reason why the book series were THE book series for a whole generation of people and became as big as it did was because the characters were so relatable. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#95Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/3/18 at 5:06pm

MrJNLong said: "NO GUTS, NO GLORY (The prediction I am making that almost no one else seems to be making):

Ari'el Statchel (Featured Actor in a Musical) -

I happen to really think this will happen. I second your No Guts, No Glory prediction.

WEAKEST CATEGORY(none of these potential winners excite me):

Featured Actress in a Musical

So agree. I'm not really rooting for anyone. Mendez is giving perhaps the strongest performance, but she and everyone else are terribly directed and it lacks focus. So, if she takes it, good for her, as she's very talented - but this won't ultimately  be her best performance by a longshot.

I'll add a Dark Horse prediction that THREE TALL WOMEN could nab another award other than Glenda. Perhaps Revival or Director. There seems to be good vibes towards this revival and it's been a hit at the box office.

Shh_413
#96Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/4/18 at 9:14am

I find the parallels between the Best Musical categories of this year to the 2013 Tonys in terms of source material quite fascinating. I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed it.

- A small-ish indie film made 10 years prior to being converted into a musical involving groups of characters noticeable different from each other. The least "commercial-looking" of the lineup as the existence of the musical has superseded the film's. (Kinky Boots)

- A slightly raunchy teen comedy with witty, memorable one-liners that became a cult hit whose musical form starred Taylor Louderman. (Bring It On: The Musical)

- Two shows based on popular children-oriented entertainment (A Christmas Story, Matilda)

singer234
#97Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/4/18 at 9:53am

I would agree with most of those comparisons, but add that Kinky Boots had Lauper’s name attached. As for Mean Girls, though the material is similar to Bring It On, in terms of sales and fans, it seems to be taking a mini Dear Evan Hansen trajectory (Bring It On failed to pick up a large fan base), though I still think it’s highly underrated).

Shh_413
#98Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/4/18 at 10:04am

singer234 said: "I would agree with most of those comparisons, but add that Kinky Boots had Lauper’s name attached. As for Mean Girls, though the material is similar to Bring It On, in terms of sales and fans, it seems to be taking a mini Dear Evan Hansen trajectory (Bring It On failed to pick up a large fan base), though I still think it’s highly underrated)."

It's not really a comparison based on quality or content (i.e. Band's Visit takes on a much drearier and droller tone than the largely light-hearted Kinky Boots), but just purely based on source material :)

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#99Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/4/18 at 11:32am

BJR said: "Where is all this sudden Noma Dumezweni love? Is it just picking a Dark Horse winner to possibly upset the pool? Denise has it in the bag."

My god, this. And if it’s somehow not Gough, it’ll be Metcalf. I though Dumezweni was a great Hermione, and deserved the nomination, but I agree word for word with George & Dot on this. You shouldn’t win just because you can make crap dialogue sound good. I enjoyed Harry Potter as a whole, but I’m still flabbergasted than anyone is considering the acting anywhere in the same universe as Angels. (Or Three Tall Women, FWIW.)