Dramatic female duets?

Ava Taylor
#1Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 8:05pm

Any suggestions for belty, dramatic female duets? Something that doesn't need much context or elaborate staging.  

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#2Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 8:17pm

"In His Eyes" from JEKYLL AND HYDE

"For Good" from WICKED (Of course)

"Everyday a Little Death" from A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC (My personal pick)

"I Will Never Leave You" from SIDE SHOW

"A Boy Like That/I Have a Love" from WEST SIDE STORY

"Little Me" from LITTLE ME (Although it's comedic, not dramatic)

"I Still Believe" from MISS SAIGON

If you don't mind doing something a little different...and swapping some vocal keys...I'm also very partial to "No More" from INTO THE WOODS as a duet. Btw, welcome to the forums!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

AEA AGMA SM
#3Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 8:22pm

Look at the duets that Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner covered on their two albums together post-Side Show.

CPannullo
#4Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 8:24pm

“Listen” from Dreamgirls comes to mind for me

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#5Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:24pm

I Know Him So Well - CHESS

helvizz Profile Photo
helvizz
#6Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:54pm

The 2012 Bare revival had 'You don't know', which was a belted, generic, overdramatic teen-angst-ridden song, which sounds perfect for you. Although the cast recording was never recorded, this song was recorded a few years later - and you can easily find many concert performances on youtube.

Spring Awakening also has 'The dark I know well', and the song pretty much explains the context.

Grey Gardens has 'Two Peas in a Pod' and 'Another winter in a summer town', both are great, but the latter one, definitely more dramatic, needs more context, so I wouldn't recommend it.

'If Momma was married' from Gypsy is a great song, but it's not very dramatic.

I've only listened to War Paint once and I don't really remember it, but given the fact the plot of the show is two divas facing each other off -and the divas were Patti LuPone and Christine Ebersole-, you'll probably find something good there too.

Updated On: 5/8/18 at 10:54 PM

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#8Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/9/18 at 2:46am

Here is what comes to mind:

What You Don't Know About Women (City of Angels) - Great jazzy duet; well enough written that the characters speak for themselves

Bosom Buddies (Mame) - Funny vaudeville turn with lots of character.

Marry the Man Today (Guys and Dolls) - Fun and lots of personality.

Enough is Enough (Barbra Streisand / Donna Summer) - If you don't mind some pop disco

Happy Days Are Here Again / Get Happy (Barbra Streisand / Judy Garland) - The famous medley arranged by Mel Torme and Mort Lindsey for Barbra's appearance on The Judy Garland Show

Nowadays (Chicago) 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#9Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/9/18 at 3:58am

any good female duets from specifically the last 10-15 years or so? any trios or slightly larger group numbers that are female-only (like Mama Who Bore Me or Matchmaker or Mama I'm a Big Girl Now)?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#10Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/9/18 at 6:37am

I Know Him So Well  CHESS

He Can Do It  PURLIE

Perfect Strangers  DROOD

What About Love?  THE COLOR PURPLE

Who Will Love Me as I Am? and I Will Never Leave You  SIDESHOW

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#11Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/9/18 at 7:42am

helvizz said: "The 2012 Bare revival had 'You don't know', which was a belted, generic, overdramatic teen-angst-ridden song, which sounds perfect for you. Although the cast recording was never recorded, this song was recorded a few years later - and you can easily find many concert performanceson youtube.

helvizz, I was just about to suggest “You don’t know”! I think it’s a wonderful song that sounds right up your alley. Also, this song was recorded along with a most of the other new songs for Bare, on Lynn Shankel’s album Bare Naked. On the album it’s sung by Elizabeth Judd and Lili Cooper who do a wonderful job! 

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#12Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/9/18 at 9:35am

"There's Always A Woman"...ANYONE CAN WHISTLE

codywlong2
#13Dramatic female duets?
Posted: 5/9/18 at 11:04am

"I Am My Own Best Friend" from Chicago. Not in the movie and absolutely phenomenal! I believe there's a YouTube video of Liza doing it solo. I second "There's Always a Woman" from ACW. 

Videos