pixeltracker

Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?- Page 6

Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#125Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/22/18 at 7:15pm

Caught this matinee today, and it was a nice time, but not blown away or anything. I did consider it a musical, though. For a play with music, when you remove the music, there is still a decent play left... which I don't think would be the case here.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#126Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/22/18 at 8:17pm

haterobics said: "For a play with music, when you remove the music, there is still a decent play left... which I don't think would be the case here."

Interesting theory. And I'm not being sarcastic - I always find it interesting to hear different people's criteria for distinguishing a musical from a play with music. Not sure I agree with you though. Would you say the same thing for something like Lady Day?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#127Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/23/18 at 6:47am

JBroadway said: "Not sure I agree with you though. Would you say the same thing for something like Lady Day?"

Not sure that is the best example, since it is framed as a Billie concert, so the songs are built into the show and there is no question what their purpose is. Whereas with Girl, the songs seem to be the inner thoughts/hopes/dreams/resignations of the people singing them?

Of course, Audra made the Billie songs serve that same purpose, but you never had a moment where you wondered whether her character was really singing that song. And, they intentionally pitched the timeline of the show for the year before Dylan was born, to make it clear that no one was or could be singing these?

But yeah, it's never an easy designation.

dramagoer
#128Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/23/18 at 12:45pm

Saw the matinee yesterday. Really lovely, more of a mood piece than a proper musical. Some amazing directorial moments. Even better was Katharine Mehrling at Joe's Pub a few hours later. Somehow, they were perfect companion pieces. Mehrling's show opened with a haunting version of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" sung in German, and it made me think of Dylan's "I Want You" which I'd heard just a few hours earlier at the Newman.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#129Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/24/18 at 9:24pm

This is a weird question, but one anyone like to trade tickets? I have a seat for the evening of November 18th, but just found out Rachel York is doing a solo show at Green Room 42 that night, and I'd love to attend it as I'm a big fan. I'm only in town November 12-18, so it would have to be in that week. I know it's a long shot, but thought it would be worth an ask since all the dates that week are showing as sold out (making an exchange through the Public near impossible). Thanks in advance!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#130Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/25/18 at 2:02pm

gleek4114 said: "all the dates that week are showing as sold out (making an exchange through the Public near impossible)"

A day or so beforehand, they release the accessible seating on the aisles in row G (that's how I went on a different date), so worth watching that closely...

JVJ93
#131Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/25/18 at 2:23pm

I am selling a ticket for this for Saturday 10/6 matinee at 1:30. Row N. $40 or best offer. PM me, thanks.

theaterwiz414
#132Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/26/18 at 7:45am

Following this thread! 

Updated On: 9/28/18 at 07:45 AM

MyLife
#133Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/26/18 at 12:11pm

Managed to snag 2 rush seats tonight. Anyone know where the seats are?

Excited to see this and share my opinion.

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#134Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/27/18 at 4:00pm

Any rumors of an extension at the Public?  I will be in NYC the week after it's currently scheduled to close. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#135Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/27/18 at 4:23pm

Anastasia_Beaverhausen said: "Any rumors of an extension at the Public? I will be in NYC the week after it's currently scheduled to close."

Standing in the lobby after the show, I overheard that they might extend to 12/23.

Updated On: 9/27/18 at 04:23 PM

Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#136Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/27/18 at 4:59pm

Thanks for the info!  I'll keep checking the Public's website. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#137Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 12:36pm

The show has extended until 12/23.

Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#138Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 12:59pm

Thank you!  Just got my ticket for Dec. 16th. :)

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#139Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 1:03pm

CT2NYC said: "The show has extended until 12/23."

Great - more opportunities to throw my phone across my room after attempting the TodayTix battle royale for the 4 daily rush tickets 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#140Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 1:16pm

Jesus Christ. The Todaytix rush is brutal. Tried it today for Oklahoma! and the tickets were in other customer's carts before it was even 10. It's insane.

Updated On: 9/29/18 at 01:16 PM

Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#141Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 1:18pm

There are $30 tickets available for these new performances. I assume those are student tickets?

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#142Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 1:24pm

Anastasia_Beaverhausen said: "There are $30 tickets available for these new performances. I assume those are student tickets?"

Pretty sure it's just a technical error. It won't let you buy them, and student tickets are only available at the box office.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#143Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 2:01pm

I wish there were more positive reactions to this show on here, as a couple months ago I was hoping this would extend to the 23rd, but now I'm torn between this or The Cher Show for my matinee on the 23rd. I got a copy of the UK cast recording in August & it really does nothing for me. 

I just feel like even if it is awful I'll have a better time at The Cher Show.

Updated On: 9/29/18 at 02:01 PM

GeorgeandDot
#144Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 4:16pm

^The negative word of mouth on here is shocking to me considering how positive the word of mouth everywhere else seems to be and that it's now extended into December. I'd take the reviews on here with a grain of salt.

Solipsist234
#145Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 4:19pm

GeorgeandDot said: "^The negative word of mouth on here is shocking to me considering how positive the word of mouth everywhere else seems to be and that it's now extended into December. I'd take the reviews on here with a grain of salt."

...maybe other posters don't share the same opinion as you perhaps? I don't know, but that's just a thought.

Updated On: 9/29/18 at 04:19 PM

GeorgeandDot
#146Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 4:24pm

Their opinion is valid, but don't take it as definitive because the word of mouth on here contrasts what I see elsewhere and doesn't represent the majority. I certainly wouldn't decide whether or not to see this show based upon the reviews on here.

Solipsist234
#147Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 4:29pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Their opinion is valid, but don't take it as definitive because the word of mouth on here contrasts what I see elsewhere and doesn't represent the majority. I certainly wouldn't decide whether or not to see this show based upon the reviews on here."

Oh, my thoughts exactly, GeorgeandDot!!! I don't live in New York, but I would never take the word of a few people on a message board to form my opinion on a show I might see!

Thank you for clearing that up! :)

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#148Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 4:32pm

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18
Updated On: 9/29/18 at 04:32 PM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#149Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/29/18 at 4:42pm

inception said: "I wish there were more positive reactions to this show on here, as a couple months ago I was hoping this would extend to the 23rd, but now I'm torn between this or The Cher Show for my matinee on the 23rd. I got a copy of the UK cast recording in August & it really does nothing for me.

I just feel like even if it is awful I'll have a better time at The Cher Show.
"

Regardless of positive or negative reactions from others, if the UK cast recording does nothing for you, I think your hesitation is understandable.

Updated On: 9/29/18 at 04:42 PM