pixeltracker

Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage- Page 2

Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/2/18 at 5:04pm

This was freaking amazing! I loved, loved,loved this. Possibly my favorite production I've ever seen.

????????

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#26Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/2/18 at 6:49pm

I’m seeing this on Thursday and can’t wait. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#27Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/2/18 at 7:39pm

Nu, Mickey Katz's boy did good.   Mazel tov!

Esther2 Profile Photo
Esther2
#28Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/2/18 at 10:09pm

I got an email from the theatre the other day linking this article about a possible transfer to Broadway or "another venue".  To their credit they did say it may not work on the bigger stage (literal and figurative).

https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/yiddish-fiddler-miracle-of-miracles/?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=Jewish+Week+Broadway+Yiddish+Fiddler&utm_medium=email

dramamama611
#29Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/3/18 at 12:00am

Thanks for that article!

I dont know if it would be successful onBroadway, but I know I'd go back to see it in a heartbeat.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#30Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/3/18 at 12:05am

Anybody know about student discounts or rush tix? Thanks! This sounds like a great production. 

dramamama611
#31Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/3/18 at 12:06am

Btw...in chatting with an usher, heard they are losing a number of original cast members after today's evening show.

Also, that they have experts in Yiddish both teach the language/ pronunciation (not surprising)but also to monitor it during performsnce.

jbird5
#32Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/3/18 at 8:24am

I thought it started a little slow. I liked Tradition, but If I Were and Matchmaker were nothing special. Maybe their just too well known. But then, when the lesser known ensemble pieces kicked in. Wow. From there the show took off. It seemed fresh unlike the last revival. I don’t know if the Yiddish would be an issue. We’ve already had shows with ASL and Indecent should probably have been in Yiddish. I wonder if it goes to Broadway if they will perform during the Sabbath.

dramamama611
#33Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/3/18 at 10:37am

There was yiddish in Indecent. I think for a play whose story is unknown to most, its too heavy to have had all of it in another language.

I'm fairly confident that a run ANY where else will have a traditional schedule. The museum controls the hours. (Which end up being a pretty sweet gig for the actors!)

Dollypop
#34Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/4/18 at 4:01pm

I'm seeing the show tomorrow. What is the nearest subway?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Dollypop
#35Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/4/18 at 4:01pm

I'm seeing the show tomorrow. What is the nearest subway?

dramamama611
#36Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/4/18 at 4:30pm

From their website:

4/5 to Bowling Green
Walk west along Battery Place.

1 to Rector Street
From Rector Street, walk south down Greenwich Street toward Battery Park; make a right on Battery Place and continue walking west.

R to Whitehall Street or Rector Street
From Whitehall, walk west along Battery Place. From Rector Street, walk south down Greenwich Street toward Battery Park; make a right on Battery Place and continue walking west.

From Times Square Area, we took A/C to the 4/5.   About a 5 minute walk from there.

Try the app MOOVIT, if you have a smart phone.  Works great.

Dollypop
#37Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/4/18 at 4:38pm

Thanks for the help, Mama. You're swell!

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#38Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/4/18 at 5:24pm

Esther2 said: "I got an email from the theatre the other day linking this article about a possible transfer to Broadway or "another venue". To their credit they did say it may not work on the bigger stage (literal and figurative).

https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/yiddish-fiddler-miracle-of-miracles/?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=Jewish+Week+Broadway+Yiddish+Fiddler&utm_medium=email

"

I thought it was pretty funny that in the article people are referring to it as the "Yiddish Hamilton". The original Fiddler production also was a once in a decade sized hit, can't it just be the Yiddish Fiddler on the Roof? 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#39Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/4/18 at 7:24pm

Saw this Sunday.  SO powerful.  And then you realize that what happened to these people who had been in Anatevka for generations is happening in our own country today, where folks are being told they don't have the right to live in the place they've always lived and have to go to a country where they may not know anybody . . .

Updated On: 9/4/18 at 07:24 PM

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#40Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/4/18 at 8:52pm

Just got tix for 9/17 on TDF. A bunch of dates available.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#41Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/4/18 at 11:26pm

Maybe Minetta Lane or West Side Theater? 

RaisedOnMusicals
#42Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/7/18 at 1:15pm

I saw this last night and like virtually everyone else who has seen it and posted about it, it was an incredible production. I realize that the overwhelming majority who will be drawn to see this are Jewish, but I'd suggest that anyone at all of whatever religion who likes Fiddler specifically or musical theater in general see it if possible--it's that good. It's astounding to me how the cast was able to learn every word of the script in Yiddish. 

Of course, the last scene of the show has so much relevance and resonance in today's world. I think that if had been watching this by myself I would have been practically sobbing instead of just getting teary eyes, though there was quite a bit of crying going on all around me. So bring tissues.

Dollypop
#43Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/7/18 at 2:26pm

I was fascinated by the English translations, especially "If I Were a Rothschild"

Updated On: 9/7/18 at 02:26 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#44Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/7/18 at 2:27pm

Pammylicious said: "Just got tix for 9/17 on TDF. A bunch of dates available."

That doesn’t bode well for a Broadway transfer.

Incidentally, does anyone know when the last time an entirely non-English production played on Broadway? Just curious, 

RaisedOnMusicals
#45Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/7/18 at 2:46pm

Dollypop said: "SO was fascinated by the English translations, especially "If I Were a Rothschild""

I did not know this until just now when I looked it up. Rothschild In Yiddish literally means “red coat” as in a heraldic coat of arms. The Rothschild banking family’s coat of arms featured a red shield in the center of its heladry. So, Rothschild in Yiddish became synonymous with being a member of a very rich family. 

They obviously had to make a few changes in the literal translations from English to Yiddish in some song lyrics to account for meter and rhyme. And the translator did a brilliant job. 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#46Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/7/18 at 2:52pm

Remainder of the run as it currently stands is almost sold out. Very limited availability, and they even raised the Premium ticket price to $150. It's a shame the times are so terrible, as I can't see this show at 1pm on a Monday, Thursday, or Friday.

I really hope it transfers somewhere that it can have a normal schedule, and few less expensive tickets! They did release a code for $40 tickets for folks under 40, but I could only find one weekend show with 1 seat available at that price. Looks like I won't be seeing it this round, but really hoping to another time soon.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#47Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/8/18 at 8:31am

9/17 is the only date on TDF, and it's got the ** for limited availability.

jimmycurry01
#48Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/9/18 at 10:54am

JBroadway said: "Pammylicious said: "Just got tix for 9/17 on TDF. A bunch of dates available."

That doesn’t bode well for a Broadway transfer.

Incidentally, does anyone know when the last time an entirely non-English production played on Broadway? Just curious,
"

Maybe Baz's production of La Boheme?

dramamama611
#49Yiddish Fiddler at the Museum of Jewish Heritage
Posted: 9/9/18 at 11:44am

In theory, you are correct, but as its been said, because this is at the Museum, they have an unorthodox schedule.   

(I"m not saying this SHOULD go to bway - but that's not the only option they are considering.)