pixeltracker

Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?

Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?

Brian07663NJ
#1Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 7/30/18 at 10:19am

Is anyone attending TITANIC at the Serenbe Playhouse? Has anyone attended yet?

I will be at the performance on Saturday night August 4. Fingers crossed that weather won't prevent the entire production to take place as staged on the lake.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/atlanta/article/BWW-Review-TITANIC-at-Serenbe-Playhouse-20180728

I did attend Serenbe's production of Miss Saigon with the real helicopter landing in the field - THAT WAS AMAZING!

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#2Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 7/30/18 at 11:18am

I just got my tickets for the 15th of August.  I too am nervous about weather problems, as I'm only going to be in Atlanta for two days, so I only have one shot at this.

It looks incredible, and I've always wanted to see Yeston's Titanic staged.  I feel very fortunate that I'm going to be in town for this :)

Brian07663NJ
#3Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 7/30/18 at 12:51pm

RevolutionaryCostume said: "I just got my tickets for the 15th of August. I too am nervous about weather problems, as I'm only going to be in Atlanta for two days, so I only have one shot at this."

I am nervous too! I am flying from NYC to see this and will only be spending overnight specifically to see this performance. Flying home the next morning. Miss Saigon was SO amazing two years ago that I decided to try my luck with the weather again for Titanic. Fingers crossed for both of us and everyone hoping to witness this production!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 7/30/18 at 2:00pm

I'm stunned they have actors in full costume and life jackets treading water and jumping from the scaffolding into the water. I know they're acting and hopefully safety precautions are in place but I feel as though I'd be uncomfortable watching that. It's one thing to see it in the movie and know the actors were being looked after. It's another to see it live. Not to mention they're recreating a scenario that people actually lived through and did not survive. I'd be uncomfortable. I guess that's the point.

Updated On: 7/30/18 at 02:00 PM

Brian07663NJ
#5Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 7/31/18 at 8:33am

CATSNYrevival said: "I'm stunned they have actors in full costume and life jackets treadingwater and jumping from the scaffolding into the water. I know they're acting and hopefully safety precautions are in place but I feel as though I'd be uncomfortable watching that. It's one thing to see it in the movie and know the actors were being looked after. It's another to see it live. Not to mention they're recreating a scenario that people actually lived through and did not survive. I'd be uncomfortable. I guess that's the point."

YES I agree with you that it is an uncomfortable scenario to see reenacted. Yes that is also the point. A wonderful documentary is available on YouTube from the creative team behind this production. It discusses several of the points you mention: that this musical is about real people vs the movie focusing on fictional characters, that safety was a number one priority - there are lifeguards on duty during the show, that the cast was told if it doesn't feel right don't do it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU78EGjZLHY&t=6s

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#6Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 7/31/18 at 8:45am

This production looks INCREDIBLE.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#7Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 7/31/18 at 2:11pm

This production truly fascinates me, and I'm sorry I won't have an opportunity to see it.  I have to admit getting choked up towards the end of the video.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Browneyes142
#8Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/4/18 at 10:42am

I'm so excited. I've always wanted to see it. The music and story demand something grand like this. I was able to snag the last ticket for the 11th. This is such a once in a lifetime staging, I'm thrilled to get to be a part of it.

Browneyes142
#9Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/4/18 at 10:44am

Brian07663NJ said: "Is anyone attending TITANIC at the Serenbe Playhouse? Has anyone attended yet?

I will be at the performance on Saturday night August 4. Fingers crossed that weather won't prevent the entire production to take place as staged on the lake.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/atlanta/article/BWW-Review-TITANIC-at-Serenbe-Playhouse-20180728

I did attend Serenbe's production of Miss Saigon with the real helicopter landing in the field - THAT WAS AMAZING!
"

Let us know how it goes .

Wondering how he plans to top this next year.

Brian07663NJ
#10Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 8:06am

WOW...absolute wow!

Was it worth the time, money and energy to travel to see this...YES! YES!

I didn’t have tears running down my face like this when I saw the original production on Broadway years ago.

The environmental aspect of sitting in the front row ON the dock within arms reach of the “passengers”, watching the dock pull away as the ship launched, the various levels of the ship separated by class, the lighting and the deep bass vibration shaking us as the iceberg crashed - and that was just act 1. I ran to get a drink and I devoured a box of popcorn I was that consumed by nervous energy. This is what theater should be! Then as the intensity built in act 2 knowing where this was going. I was choked up and WTF by “The Blame” the tears were starting. The lifeboat launch with real boats on the water was OMFG! A flare was shot into the sky! The lighting and screaming...watching the Strauss’ sing their song of devotion and love as they drowned...a passenger shot himself and fell into the water (Totally unexpected!), and the left behind passenger climbing the ship to stay out of the water but ultimately leaping to the water....the bodies floating motionless on the surface of the lake...

This is what theater is supposed to be about.

Serenbe attacked this with the absolute utmost respect and reverence for those who perished in this tragic event. Thank you Serenbe Playhouse and the hard working actors. The devotion to this art is not unrecognized: high humidity and heavy costumes plus perilous water stunts!

The unfortunate part of this is the short life of this production. I am truly fortunate to have been able to witness this. I am so happy...to say the least!

Spoke to a member of the company who told me a guy flew in on Wednesday to see the performance and unfortunately it was rained out so bad that they couldn’t even perform it concert style in the pavilion. Hoping the weather holds out for all who wish to see this spectacular production. I am so thankful and lucky the weather was favorable for my visit. Eager to hear if anyone else has the opportunity to see this.

Brian07663NJ
#11Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 8:06am

WOW...absolute wow!

Was it worth the time, money and energy to travel to see this...YES! YES!

I didn’t have tears running down my face like this when I saw the original production on Broadway years ago.

The environmental aspect of sitting in the front row ON the dock within arms reach of the “passengers”, watching the dock pull away as the ship launched, the various levels of the ship separated by class, the lighting and the deep bass vibration shaking us as the iceberg crashed - and that was just act 1. I ran to get a drink and I devoured a box of popcorn I was that consumed by nervous energy. This is what theater should be! Then as the intensity built in act 2 knowing where this was going. I was choked up and WTF by “The Blame” the tears were starting. The lifeboat launch with real boats on the water was OMFG! A flare was shot into the sky! The lighting and screaming...watching the Strauss’ sing their song of devotion and love as they drowned...a passenger shot himself and fell into the water (Totally unexpected!), and the left behind passenger climbing the ship to stay out of the water but ultimately leaping to the water....the bodies floating motionless on the surface of the lake...

This is what theater is supposed to be about.

Serenbe attacked this with the absolute utmost respect and reverence for those who perished in this tragic event. Thank you Serenbe Playhouse and the hard working actors. The devotion to this art is not unrecognized: high humidity and heavy costumes plus perilous water stunts!

The unfortunate part of this is the short life of this production. I am truly fortunate to have been able to witness this. I am so happy...to say the least!

Spoke to a member of the company who told me a guy flew in on Wednesday to see the performance and unfortunately it was rained out so bad that they couldn’t even perform it concert style in the pavilion. Hoping the weather holds out for all who wish to see this spectacular production. I am so thankful and lucky the weather was favorable for my visit. Eager to hear if anyone else has the opportunity to see this.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#12Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 1:00pm

Brian07663NJ said: "WOW...absolute wow!..."

Would love to see this.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#13Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 1:17pm

This is a production I wish PBS would broadcast.  So unusual and innovative.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#14Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 1:41pm

This sounds like a major theatrical event that should be getting way more attention. I was I think 15 when I saw the original Broadway production and my main takeaway was that even with millions of dollars, there was no effective way to portray the sinking of the Titanic onstage. I guess they found the solution: don't use a stage!

Brian07663NJ
#15Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 1:59pm

morosco said: "This is a production I wish PBS would broadcast. So unusual and innovative."

They are VERY responsive on Facebook. I brought your message over to them about wishing this to be shown on PBS. They responded promptly: "We'd LOVE to do something like that, but have never really explored the option! Something to look into in the future for sure! There is something so magical about creating ephemeral art and we're so glad you could be apart of it."

Does not appear that this is something that can happen with this production of Titanic.

Brian07663NJ
#16Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:44pm

STANDING ROOM announced so that more can see this production before it closes! This is SO worth it if you have the time to get there. You won't be disappointed.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#17Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:54pm

I wonder if they could transfer this and somehow install a tank for the water at the Delacorte Theater.

barcelona20
#18Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:56pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I wonder if they could transfer this and somehow install a tank for the water at the Delacorte Theater."

No chance.  But it would be nice if they brought this back next year.  Why not have multiple shows running at once?

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#19Titanic at Serenbe Playhouse ANYONE attending?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 3:35pm

I looked into making a trip to see this, but could not find any reasonable (emphasis on reasonable) options for where to stay, or how to get there from Chicago, other than driving.

Anyone know of reasonably priced options for where to stay (close enough to Uber there from a hotel/motel), or how to get there from Chicago (i.e. train, bus, air)?