pixeltracker

Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away

Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away

chanel
#1Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 2:41pm

He's moving with his husband and their son to Paris, to get away from Trump's America. He's afraid their son could get shot for no reason other than that he's black.          http://www.newnownext.com/denis-o-hare-trump-america/08/2018/

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 2:50pm

Sounds like he's really thought this through, and has lots of good reasons. Best of luck to him and his family on this new venture! 

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#3Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 3:58pm

I have spent many happy hours in Paris, and plan to visit again soon.  But, there has been an increase of anti-GLBTQ sentiment in France that is very discouraging.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/paris-hosts-gay-games-amid-surge-anti-gay-aggression-france-n897916

AlfredDrakeII
#4Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 4:10pm

" Every parent who has a child of color [has] watch out for the police."

<<edited by BWW staff.>>

This is what happens when you're stuck in a progressive echo chamber. Statistically O'Hare's son and husband are FAR more likely to meet a violent end at the hands of another Black male, and even that really only factors in in densely populated, poor urban areas with a high concentration of Black people...areas which I HIGHLY doubt Mr. O'Hare and his family spend much time frequenting.

Furthermore France, like other Western European nations, is undergoing its own host of problems, partially owing to the mass migration of peoples from the Middle East and North Africa, and the demographic and economic challenges it poses both for those migrating (including refugees) and native Europeans. Right-leaning factions of power in countries such as Sweden and Italy are gaining ground, Merkel's German government is showing signs of splintering, and some nations are beginning to openly defy EU rules.

Just as in the US, Europe is seeing a sociopolitical and paradigmatic shift that perhaps he should've researched more carefully before uprooting himself. Why would a gay couple move to a country that has a growing population of people who are ideologically opposed to their sexuality?

Instead of forming solid arguments and a platform to defeat or compromise with a political paradigm that he deems unconscionable, he is leaving to a place that could, potentially, end up being worse.

Nice job, Mr. O'Hare.

Also please do not tell other Black people how to care for our children. Some of us are savvy enough to figure it out on our own, without succumbing to Leftist fearmongering.

Updated On: 8/6/18 at 04:10 PM

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#5Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 4:18pm

<<edited by BWW staff>>?!? He didn’t demand you to move to France or do anything else with your children.

Affected much, conservative <<edited by BWW staff>>?

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 8/6/18 at 04:18 PM

JSquared2
#6Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 4:21pm

AlfredDrakeII said: "" Every parent who has a child of color [has] watch out for the police."

<<edited by BWW staff>>.

Also please do not tell other Black people how to care for our children. Some of us are savvy enough to figure it out on our own, without succumbing to Leftist fearmongering."

Geez, heat getting to you, pal?  Maybe you'd better head inside and apply a cold compress or something?  

Updated On: 8/6/18 at 04:21 PM

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#7Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 4:40pm

Moving to Paris seems a but dramatic to me, Not that his concerns do not have some validity but there has to be another way.

chanel
#8Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 4:43pm

"Do not tell other black people how to care for our children"?? Like his husband? Who totally agrees with him and in fact was the first to say "We have to move"? Denis is hardly saying all people of any kind have to do this, he's simply explaining the dangers involved for black children like Declan and describing why his family is doing what they're doing. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#9Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 5:00pm

O'Hare, in that interview, articulates why he's simply fed up in the United States right now. He talks about being an activist and politically-engaged throughout the many decades, and I think he just had it. This country really is getting worse and although AlfredDrakell brings up really good points about the rising nationalism and right-wing rhetoric happening in Europe and elsewhere, the U.S. probably hits him more since he is American and sees the direction we're going here. Not everyone can stay and fight all of the time, and props to those who do. That said, those with means to leave and want to leave, I can't say I blame them. Everybody has their limit on what they can take and I know if people could, I bet more people would have left or actually seriously consider leaving. One's life does not have to be in the United States despite all the talk about us being the greatest country and unique with all our freedoms, etc. People can be happier living elsewhere and actually enjoy many of the same (or similar) freedoms one receives here elsewhere.

Updated On: 8/6/18 at 05:00 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#10Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 5:04pm

AlfredDrakeII said: "Statistically O'Hare's son and husband are FAR more likely to meet a violent end at the hands of another Black male"

I bet he doesn't want that to happen either. 

Updated On: 8/6/18 at 05:04 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#11Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 5:40pm

Many actors, for whatever reason, choose to live outside of the United States. Angela Lansbury lived in Ireland for a long time. Natalie Portman lives in Paris. Tina Turner lives in Switzerland.

I wish him, his husband, and his son well.

Damiensta
#12Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 6:39pm

He can move to where ever he wants to; however , Paris has become very discriminatory n racist in last couple of years . Soooo he basically going to wrong city if that’s what he wants to escape

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#13Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 7:49pm

I can't possibly see why a gay couple with a black child wouldn't feel welcome in America.....

AlfredDrakeII
#14Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 9:05pm

I find it interesting that those bothered by my post assume that I'm a Conservative, and can only reply with snark as opposed to critically engaging with the thoughts I laid out (I welcome those that did).

I will add that Mr. O'Hare and his husband, in my view, are teaching his son that the way to confront problems is to try and escape them, as opposed to staying and fighting for what you believe in.

Of course Mr. O'Hare and family are free to do as they wish, just as I am free to criticize his actions. One does not have to be a Conservative to recognize geopolitical trends and share that information within the context of this conversation, and make the argument that due to what I can only assume is a lack of knowledge of these trends, he may be moving from a situation that he feels is bad, to one that is potentially worse (based on your perspective). Just as an example, I am not the only poster who has noted the rise in anti-Liberal ideologies in Europe, and I doubt Mr. O'Hare would have chosen Paris (as opposed to, say, somewhere like Iceland) as a safe haven had he been aware of these issues.

And GeorgeAndDot, if I watched cable news every night, which has engaged in relentless fearmongering regarding the Right-wing, I'm sure I would be afraid as well. I stopped patronizing these outlets years ago due to growing weary of their sensationalist coverage, which I feel is only increasing tensions between people for the sake of ratings and profit (which I feel is deeply unethical). Updated On: 8/6/18 at 09:05 PM

JBC3
#15Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 9:31pm

It is none of our business as to what he and his husband may or may not be teaching their son. Leave the parenting and life choices to those most directly affect by them.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#16Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 9:55pm

JBC3 said: "It is none of our business as to what he and his husband may or may not be teaching their son. Leave the parenting and life choices to those most directly affect by them."

I think people are discussing it because he made a public statement. If they had just left, no one would have known, and there’d be no discussion. Making a public statement like that invites commentary, good and bad. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#17Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 10:10pm

no offense to Denis whom i love but this is ridiculous

the black son of a famous actor being shot by police is about 0.01% likely to happen

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#18Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 11:03pm

gypsy101 said: "no offense to Denis whom i love but this is ridiculous

the black son of a famous actor being shot by police is about 0.01% likely to happen
"

I think you're overstating one thing and understating another. Anyway, that is not the only reasons he listed.

Harry11
#19Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 11:27pm

Can I join him ?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#20Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 11:40pm

"

I wouldn’t call Denis O’Hare, howeve talented he may be, “famous.”

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#21Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 11:52pm

"

And how will police know, when they stop Declan for Driving While Black, that he is the son of a famous actor (I love Mr. O'Hare's work, but he is "famous" only to theater fans) and not just another black kid they can shoot with official impunity?

Confidential to AlfredDrakeII: Maybe you aren't getting more responses because you asserted that racism is on the rise in France and then cited Sweden and Italy as your proof. It's hard to respond to that sort of syllogism. I don't dispute your premise, but you neglected to mention that President Macron has officially repudiated such racism and won a large victory from the French electorate. That's a far cry from the U.S. where the Racist-in-Chief just spent an entire weekend calling some of the most famous African-Americans "stupid".

African-Americans have been going to France to escape Anglo racism at least since the end of WWI. The O'Hare Family move is part of a long tradition. You are right that going to Europe doesn't guarantee freedom from racism, but maybe--just maybe--the idea that "Black Lives Matter" won't be considered controversial there.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#22Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/6/18 at 11:53pm

Harry11 said: "Can I join him ?"

My first thought exactly. As if one even needs a special reason to go to Paris!

geoffreyC
#23Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/7/18 at 6:16pm

Americans are in such a complete state of denial at this time that they really do deserve what is certain to befall them.  As for those special freedoms its citizens supposedly enjoy, they should definitely enjoy them now.  Mr. O'Hare is not the only one fleeing the rising tide of intolerance and fascism.  

massofmen
#24Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/7/18 at 7:42pm

Coward. Stay and fight for your country if you believe it's under attack.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#25Tony winner Denis O'Hare is moving far away
Posted: 8/7/18 at 11:38pm

massofmen said: "Coward. Stay and fight for your country if you believe it's under attack."

Would you say that to all the refugees around the world who had to flee their country? I mean obviously the U.S. is not in a state of chaos and war (for most people anyway) like many of those countries are, but fleeing is some times the smartest and safest choice for people. Also, this quote makes me think you didn't bother reading O'Hare's thoughts why after a lifetime of activism and fighting he decided to bounce now.

Updated On: 8/7/18 at 11:38 PM