pixeltracker

Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY- Page 11

Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY

52889j
#250Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/25/18 at 11:07pm

henrikegerman said: "52889j said: "I Could Have Danced All Night was 100% Scottish."

I'm trying to imagine how that could even be possible. How exactly would one accomplish that, even if one wanted to?
"

I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t heard it. At intermission, my party all turned to each other just to make sure we weren’t hallucinating. “Could” was pronounced “cooed,” r’s were rolled, etc. I have no doubt she’ll smooth it out over the next few weeks, but it was quite jarring last night. 

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#251Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 10:05am

henrikegerman said: "52889j said: "I Could Have Danced All Night was 100% Scottish."

I'm trying to imagine how that could even be possible. How exactly would one accomplish that, even if one wanted to?
"

I mean...easily.  You place the word 'could' further into the mask (right at the sides of your nostrils), something similar with 'done' and hit the r's with almost a bit of a roll.  I've been doing it at my desk this morning and, though it has NOTHING to do with My Fair Lady, I'd totally <<edited by BWW staff>> me cause Scottish boys are really bloody hot. 

Updated On: 10/26/18 at 10:05 AM

JBC3
#252Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 10:38am

GeorgeandDot said: "Um... ok? You did an in depth analysis of an audio bootleg of a first performance and decided that it was no good. I could elaborate on why that's a rude statement to the actors, but go ahead and scream Trumpism if it rustles your jimmies."

Quite the overreaction on your part given the rather benign comment to which you were responding.

JSquared2
#253Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 10:53am

NYadgal said: "I have no need to see this show again. I saw - and felt - perfection with the original cast. That said, I wish Laura the best. She has big shoes to fill."

Really? You "wish her the best"??  Oh, come off it.

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#254Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 11:09am

Edit: Also, I hate to say it, but I did not buy the father/daughter age relationship between Butz and Benanti. I know Benanti's age has always been a question for this role, but I never really thought about it during the performance except during the short Eliza/Alfred scenes."

Isn't Ambrose older than Benanti? Not that it really matters, but to your point. I didn't really feel any issue with it while watching. Actually, I was wondering how Butz got so old...

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#255Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 11:11am

Maybe she’s singing I Could’ve Danced All Night with a Scottish accent because of Mrs. Pearce’s influence.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#256Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 11:34am

Yes.  I do.  Sincerely.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Catsbroadwayfan
#257Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 12:26pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Saw Laura last night. She was so stunning. However, I would suggest for people to maybe wait a couple weeks before going and let her warm up to the role a bit. In Act One, her accent was all over the map. It switched from cockney to Irish to (mostly) Scottish and even a bit of Spanish during one song. She just needs a little time. But other than that it was glorious. And when she comes out at the end of Act One in that dress...not even kidding - one of the most stunning things I’ve ever seen. "

Damn it Jordan, that is one hot profile picture. Jake is looking fineeee

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#258Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 12:27pm

If you think one interpretation of a role as rich and complex as Eliza can be the only and final interpretation then you really aren't a fan of My Fair Lady.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#259Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 12:48pm

slumdogdelaware said: "Isn't Ambrose older than Benanti? Not that it really matters, but to your point. I didn't really feel any issue with it while watching. Actually, I was wondering how Butz got so old..."

I thought Ambrose read younger on stage than Benanti. Maybe because the former has a rounder, cherubish face, and the latter has harsh cheekbones. Again, this wasn’t a big deal at all, but those Alfred scenes did stand out to me age difference-wise in a way they didn’t with Ambrose. 

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#260Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 12:51pm

I see your point, BroadwayConcierge!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#261Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 2:27pm

poisonivy2 said: "If you think one interpretation of a role as rich and complex as Eliza can be the only and final interpretation then you really aren't a fan of My Fair Lady."

Well...then it's good that absolutely no one in this thread said that or even implied it. 

Plexsis
#262Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/26/18 at 2:46pm

I was extremely happy to see Lauren Ambrose before she left and I thought she was perfection! I’m also super happy that this revival is attracting top notch talent such as Benanti and Burnstein (who I had the privilege of seeing in Cabaret) to keep this fantastic production going.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#263Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/27/18 at 2:14pm

poisonivy2 said: "If you think one interpretation of a role as rich and complex as Eliza can be the only and final interpretation then you really aren't a fan of My Fair Lady."

Laura is of a different personality type than Julie, Audrey and Lauren. I might label those three as demure. Laura is not demure. I would love to see her put her own stamp on the role.

Really, at her age, in a very high profile production, this is her chance, and maybe her only chance, to raise herself up to the level of a Kelli O'Hara. She would have to make her Eliza someone about whom everyone was talking.

Good start at the box office. Saturday matinee a complete sell-out, even at StubHub. Sunday matinee likely to follow. I wonder if box office was a consideration when Sher picked Laura without considering anyone else.

The King and I, despite its good notices, was a box office disappointment compared to South Pacific. The latter ran for over 1000 performances, with the virtually unknown Laura Osnes playing Nellie for the last seven months. The King and I, despite the same glowing reviews, closed after 538. It was a very expensive show and at the first signs of running for a loss it was quickly shut down. The show may have been more appreciated in its touring and London companies.

My Fair Lady, despite all its acclaim, looks like it is heading more in the way of The King and I at the box office. Sher might have thought that Benanti could certainly handle the role and might boost the attendance with her national TV recognition.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#264Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/27/18 at 5:15pm

If this were corporate speak I'd say hiring Benanti was an attempt to "bring the company in a different direction." But seriously this revival has had a lot of unforeseen difficulties. Sher couldn;t have predicted that Ambrose would have personal and health problems during much of the run and be offered a tv show, or that Hadden-Patton would need to take such extended absences, nor the mess with Diana Rigg. 

I can't wait to see Benanti in the role -- seeing this with my mom on Thanksgiving.

Jimmyb1969
#265Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/28/18 at 8:45am

Front and center last night! Finally someone who can sing the role! No offense to the Ambrose lovers but I left the theatre completely satisfied tonight and that’s not what I felt when I saw Ambrose earlier in the run. There was a dark pall over the show with her and her singing did no justice to the brilliant songs. I’d call her serviceable. I liked that Benanti and Paton had some real sparks too whereas I just felt kinda sad before. And let’s face it Benanti can sing. I wasn’t sitting there thinking I’m not sure she’s gonna hit that note like before. She nailed it. Just exquisite vocally. And they’ve shave liked 20 minutes off the show... it was a brisk 2:50 tonight. Breezed right through.

ArtMan
#266Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/28/18 at 9:35am

When I saw the show the last week in August, with Lauren, the show ran at 2:50.  So I'm not sure if you are implying that the show is shorter now with Laura.  Count me in the group that thought Lauren was terrific and charming in the role.  But once was enough for me, whoever is in the role.

ArtMan
#267Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/28/18 at 9:35am

double post

Updated On: 10/28/18 at 09:35 AM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#268Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/28/18 at 9:52am

Well, Laura's first performance was Tuesday, and it took until Saturday for the gloves to come off on what will be the heavyweight battle of 2018. About time for its own thread.

There was a dark pall over the show with her and her singing did no justice to the brilliant songs. I’d call her serviceable.

Since there have been no recent reviews of Lauren, and Jimmy might want to be reminded that the above is opinion, not fact, here is Lauren's last review, from mid-September, from a UK pub that says right off that Laura is "bound to be a brilliant Eliza." No bias here.

If ever a star turn was worth crossing the Atlantic for it has to be Lauren Ambrose in My Fair Lady. But, in the immortal words of the show’s heroine Eliza Doolittle, you’d better move your bloomin’ arse as Ambrose is only in it until 21 October.

...Ambrose is an absolute revelation.

Who knew she had such a lovely soprano voice, showcased in songs like ‘Wouldn’t It Be Loverly’ and ‘I Could Have Danced All Night”? Or that she had such a flair for comedy, whining and scrunching up her face as Professor Henry Higgins tries to pass her off as posh as part of a social experiment?

Or that she had the range to effect Eliza’s transformation from poor flower girl to well-to-do socialite, nailing both cockney and upper-crust accents, so convincingly?

Just as long as it all remains civil.  Yeah, that's about as likely as Trump winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

enjoyable2
#269Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/28/18 at 10:55am

When I heard the cast album, I thought Ambrose was a very good singer hanging on the edge of those challenging songs.  I won't be able to hear Benanti, but I imagine the orchestra must enjoy performing with someone who is their absolute equal. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#270Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/28/18 at 12:16pm

So... we're not allowed to compare Benanti and Ambrose's performances?

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#271Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/28/18 at 1:13pm

On the contrary. I'm looking forward to it. So are a lot of others.

Isn't that a lot about what these message boards are for? You see a show, perhaps alone, and you don't want it to die. You want to tell others about it, and compare opinions. And neither lady is going to be a loser.

I shut myself up before I write another verbose comment.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#272Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/29/18 at 3:12pm

Laura has a couple of curtain call photos up at her Instagram. Does anyone know where to find other pictures of her in costume? I've been looking around but can't find any, not even at the show's official Instagram.

laurensambrose Profile Photo
laurensambrose
#273Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/29/18 at 3:26pm

Check tags like #MyFairLady or even just #LauraBenanti ! That’s how I found pictures of Lauren during her run.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#274Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted: 10/29/18 at 9:23pm

It will be interesting when Danny comes in to replace Norbert. He will be just as good if not better.