pixeltracker

A Star Is Born reviews. WOW!- Page 2

A Star Is Born reviews. WOW!

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#25A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 8/31/18 at 9:29pm

Oscars? Y'all are getting way ahead of yourselves. lol

Those were the strongest 4 reviews, with others (notably EW) saying she's still a bit wooden. 

That said, if it's a massive hit, that could boost her chances come award season. I predict some festival wins for cred and a Golden Globe win, at most.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#26A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/1/18 at 1:19am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Who says Lady Gaga will even be nominated? These are reviews from three people. Hundreds vote in the Oscars."

One of those reviews is from Variety.  They are usually pretty right on.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#27A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/1/18 at 2:11am

fashionguru_23 said: "I'm a huge fan of Judy Garland, so interesting that they are comparing Lady Gaga to "Streisand's shoes"..."

I agree. Not so much because of any possible 'dis' to Garland, but more because of what the article pointed out regarding Streisand:

"The 1976 version, starring Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson, had some terrific cornball love songs, but they didn’t belong anywhere near the stadium-rock stage, and neither did Streisand"

The finale version of "Watch Closely Now" never sat well with me either in the movie theater, or on disc. No matter how hard she tries, Streisand will never be a 'rocker'.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#28A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/1/18 at 2:38am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Who says Lady Gaga will even be nominated? These are reviews from three people. Hundreds vote in the Oscars."

I am thinking back to Jennifer Hudson's Oscar for Dreamgirls. If you remove her vocals and isolate only her scene work, did she really deserve an Oscar? No. No. No. A thousand times NO.

Were her vocals SOOO strong that they earned her the Oscar? I think yes, but only because she did win, so something must have clicked with Oscar voters regarding her vocals. Still...

Were those truly her vocals, or was she doing a formidable job of recreating the original vocals Jennifer Holliday created on Broadway? (I believe the latter.)

Anyways...

My point is that if Hudson can win an Oscar for what I believe was mediocre acting with strong vocals (even though those vocals were largely imitated from the original Broadway actress' performance), why couldn't Gaga also win?

A nomination seems plausible to me based on the history of both Hudson's nomination, and the fact that Gaga's vocals in the film are totally Gaga's... not an imitation of a former artist's.

Updated On: 9/1/18 at 02:38 AM

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#29A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/1/18 at 2:53am

John Adams said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "Who says Lady Gaga will even be nominated? These are reviews from three people. Hundreds vote in the Oscars."

I am thinking back to Jennifer Hudson's Oscar forDreamgirls. If you remove her vocalsand isolate only her scene work, did shereallydeserve an Oscar? No. No. No. A thousand times NO.

Were her vocals SOOO strong that they earned her the Oscar? I think yes.Onlybecause she did win so something must have clicked with Oscar voters. Still...

Were those trulyher vocals, or was she doing a formidable job of recreating the original vocals the Jennifer Holliday created on Broadway? (I believe the latter.)

Anyways...

My point is that if Hudson canwin an Oscar for what I believe wasmediocre actingwith strong vocals (even though those vocals were largely imitated from the original Broadway actress' performance), why couldn't Gaga also win? A nomination seems plausible to me based on the history of both Hudson's nomination, and the fact that Gaga's vocals in the film are totally Gaga's... not an imitation of a former artist's.
"

I would have to disagree with this assessment. Hudson did not merely copy Holliday’s vocal performance. She sang the song as written and if you compare the two the differences are apparent. Holliday came close to growling the song near its climax which is something Hudson absolutely did not do. 

Hudson also did a great job in conveying Effie’s sassiness and her heartbreak in the second act when she is pushed aside and ultimately ousted in favor of Beyoncé’s Deena. 

Much credit has to be given to Bill Condon for guiding Hudson through the process and getting that performance out of her. 

IMO she earned not only the nomination but the award itself.

i have never witnessed an audience reaction to a movie performance than the one Hudson received for her performance as Effie. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
Updated On: 9/1/18 at 02:53 AM

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#30A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/1/18 at 3:28am

Theater_Nerd said: "I would have to disagree with this assessment. Hudson did not merely copy Holliday’s vocal performance. She sang the song as written and if you compare the two the differences are apparent. Holliday came close to growling the song near its climax which is something Hudson absolutely did not do."

I agree, and (for my tastes) Holliday's performance with the growling was stronger (each to his own), but in a way, you kind'a strengthen my perspective; Hudson sang the song "as written" - Holliday made it her own. Still, (and this is the focus) Hudson earned an Oscar.

Theater_Nerd also said: "Hudson also did a great job in conveying Effie’s sassiness and her heartbreak in the second act when she is pushed aside and ultimately ousted in favor of Beyoncé’s Deena."

We differ on that. I don't feel as strongly as you do about Hudson's performance, but I wonder if the comparison should really be made between Hudson and Gaga regarding how well either portrayed similar emotion onscreen. My contention is still that Hudson isn't as strong as other, stronger actresses who could have given a meatier performance, and it seems you might agree (?) based on:

Much credit has to be given to Bill Condon for guiding Hudson through the process and getting that performance out of her.

IMO (based on what you wrote) Bill Condon should share the Oscar (maybe???)

Theater_Nerd also said: "i have never witnessed an audience reaction to a movie performance than the one Hudson received for her performance as Effie."

Although I love the discourse with you, and agree on some points, I wonder where audience allegiances might fall if they were to view side-by-side performances (a vocal SMACKDOWN [ha!]) of "Holliday vs. Hudson"A Star Is Born review.  WOW! performing Effie's songs. 

The reason I ask that is because I still feel that Hudson was doing Holliday's riffs, etc. --- but not as well. YET - (and this is the main point) she won an Oscar. 

Because of that, I still think that Gaga could be a contender - and that's really my main point as opposed to whether/not Holliday is better than Hudson at singing the role of Effie. wink

Updated On: 9/1/18 at 03:28 AM

Theater_Nerd
#31A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/1/18 at 3:51am

John Adams said: "Theater_Nerd said: "I would have to disagree with this assessment. Hudson did not merely copy Holliday’s vocal performance. She sang the song as written and if you compare the two the differences are apparent. Holliday came close to growling the song near its climax which is something Hudson absolutely did not do."

I agree, and (for my tastes) Holliday's performance with the growling was stronger (each to his own), but in a way, you kind'a strengthen my perspective; Hudson sang the song "as written" - Holliday made it her own. Still, (and this is the focus) Hudson earned an Oscar.

Theater_Nerd also said:"Hudson also did a great job in conveying Effie’s sassiness and her heartbreak in the second act when she is pushed aside and ultimately ousted in favor of Beyoncé’s Deena."

We differ on that. I don't feel as strongly as you do about Hudson's performance, but I wonder if the comparison should really be made between Hudson and Gaga regarding how well either portrayed similar emotion onscreen. My contention is still thatHudson isn't as strong as other, stronger actresses who could have given a meatier performance, and it seems youmightagree (?) based on:

IMO (based on what you wrote) Bill Condon should share the Oscar (maybe???)

Theater_Nerd also said:"i have never witnessed an audience reaction to a movie performance than the one Hudson received for her performance as Effie."

Although I love the discourse with you, and agree on some points, I wonder where audience allegiances might fall if they were to view side-by-side performances (a vocal SMACKDOWN [ha!]) of "Holliday vs.Hudson"A Star Is Born review.  WOW! performing Effie's songs.

The reason I ask that is because I still feel that Hudson was doing Holliday's riffs, etc. --- but not as well. YET - (and this is the main point) she won an Oscar.

Because of that, I still think that Gaga could be a contender - and that's really my main point as opposed to whether/not Holliday is better than Hudson at singing the role of Effie.wink
"

Hi John - I do appreciate your opinion on Hudson's performance. I can only say that as someone who saw the original production of Dreamgirls that I was satisfied with Hudson in the role.

In regards to Lady Gaga in A Star is Born - and mind you I am only basing my thoughts on the reviews that have come in so far - my impression is that her film debut may very well be on par with Streisand's legendary film debut in Funny Girl and it may very well get her an Oscar nomination. 

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#32A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/1/18 at 4:05am

Theater_Nerd said: "Hi John - I do appreciate your opinion on Hudson's performance. I can only say that as someone who saw the original production of Dreamgirls that I was satisfied with Hudson in the role."

Me, too!

Theater_Nerd also said: "In regards to Lady Gaga in A Star is Born -and mind you I am only basing my thoughts on the reviews that have come in so far - my impression is that her film debut may very well be on par with Streisand's legendary film debut in Funny Girl and it may very well get her an Oscar nomination."

It's exciting isn't it?! My first visual impression is that I really like how "natural" she looks in the film (as opposed to her stage persona/make-up). 

Kind of off-topic, but I'm really looking forward to the time when theatrical releases simultaneously coincide with download/rental (which to me seems inevitable). It's going to be difficult to wait for this film to become available for rental.

Updated On: 9/1/18 at 04:05 AM

Theater_Nerd
#33A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/1/18 at 4:39am

John Adams said: "Theater_Nerd said: "Hi John - I do appreciate your opinion on Hudson's performance. I can only say that as someone who saw the original production of Dreamgirls that I was satisfied with Hudson in the role."

Me, too!

Theater_Nerd also said:"In regards to Lady Gaga in A Star is Born -and mind you I am only basing my thoughts on the reviews that have come in so far - my impression is that her film debut may very well be on par with Streisand's legendary film debut in Funny Girl and it may very well get her an Oscar nomination."

It's exciting isn't it?! My first visual impression is that I really like how "natural" she looks in the film (as opposed to her stage persona/make-up).

Kind of off-topic, but I'm really looking forward to the time when theatrical releases simultaneously coincide with download/rental (which to meseems inevitable). It's going to be difficult to wait for this film to become available for rental.
"

Yes! It is incredibly exciting! I just love watching her in the trailer! I cannot wait until October for it to be released! I originally was skeptical about this remake but these reviews really have me hyped! I expected them to write it off as cliched and not one review that I’ve read so far has written it off as cliched.

Funny as I am writing this Streisand’s “Evergreen” has popped up on my iTunes! 

Owen22
#34A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/1/18 at 8:17am

bwayrose7 said: "One quote from the Time review has actually made me a lot more interested than I was before:

"The basicStar is Bornstory is geared so you pity the man almost more than you admire the woman. In every version, the man threatens to steal the show with his own degradation; the woman’s protective fortitude is far less interesting. But as an actor, Cooper fades into the corner at just the right moments, allowing Gaga to shine."

That was my fundamental issue with the existence of this remake: the whole broken-man-loves-manic-pixie-dream-girl story is so incredibly tired and always geared towards the broken man's angst, which stops being interesting after the fiftieth iteration. It's nice to hear that this version, at least, seems to foreground the Gaga character'sstory instead of making her simply a means to facilitate another's story.
"

When has Esther EVER been a manic pixie dream girl??? Do you even know what that trope means?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#35A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/1/18 at 9:19am

Hudson's performance is not a great example.

The most important part about her deserved wins, sweeping every festival and precursor, is she was a supporting part who only had to come in an steal the show repeatedly - which she did and then some. Combine that with it being a breakout performance for her (most people barely knew who she was other than vaguely remembering her on Idol), and you've got a trophy.

Better comparison would be Beyonce in that film. Carrying a film and being an noticeably better singer than actor is a different task. But we'll see!

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#36A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/10/18 at 3:14pm

Being a Gaga fan since day one, I was definitely apprehensive that this was her first starring role, working with a director making his very first film. This could have gone any number of directions, and I am thrilled that both her and Cooper are getting this acclaim for their work. Can't wait to see this.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#37A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/10/18 at 5:06pm

One thing I think Hudson made her own in "And I Am Telling You" was during the bridge with the "I know I know I know you can". Holliday did NOT sing it like that and I don't think that was how it was originally written. I also think Hudson played it very differently than Holliday myself. I mean there's only so much one can do with a part like this to make it their own. I mean should we compare Rita Moreno's "Anita" with Chita Rivera and see how similar they are? I mean one may not like Hudson's book scenes (similar criticism was directed at Holliday too!) but her singing WAS part of the performance. One cannot take that out of her performance. Singing and interpreting a song is part of musical theatre acting. Plus, the Best Supporting Actress race was sort of slim that year with two foreign language performances in Babel (Spanish and Japanese sign language...I think both are worthy performances but I don't know if they are clear winners), Abigail Breslin in Little Miss Sunshine and Cate Blanchett in Notes on a Scandal. Among that group, I think Blanchett would have received my vote, but I wasn't hurting that Hudson received it. Plus, Hudson did win a whole slew of critics' circle awards for Dreamgirls to support her Oscar win, which is more than some Oscar winners can say as of late.

Updated On: 9/10/18 at 05:06 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#38A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/10/18 at 11:38pm

fashionguru_23 said: "I'm a huge fan of Judy Garland, so interesting that they are comparing Lady Gaga to "Streisand's shoes"..."

It's the Millennials' world. We're just taking up space in it.

I've seen numerous references to the Streisand "original" on the internet. (Not that the Garland version was original either: not only had Janet Gaynor done a non-musical film, but Judy Garland herself had broadcast a radio version before she made her 1954 musical film.)

Speed
#39A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/10/18 at 11:55pm

Jennifer Hudson's scene work was fantastic.  What are people's problems?  She played the role perfectly and told the story perfectly.  And the singing was wholly original, not like Holliday at all.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#40A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/10/18 at 11:59pm

east side story said: "Oh lawd, Glenn Close is SHOOK.

This was supposed to be her year in a cakewalk.
"

You mean like when she won for “Sunset Boulevard“ where there was only one other club competitor? 

Speed
#41A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/11/18 at 12:03am

Solipsist234 said: "It absolutely makes no sense thatGlenn Close has three Tony Awards and ZERO Academy Awards!

I am happy about these reviews, and it's really niceto see Gaga receive absolute raves for her performance, considering she's never acted in a film in this vicinity before...
"

It's MUCH easier to win 3 Tony Awards than it is to win 1 Oscar.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#42A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/11/18 at 12:21am

I was a big fan of Lady Gaga’s first four albums (I think The Fame Monster is a masterpiece and Born This Way is close), but her last album I thoroughly enjoyed was the much maligned 2013 ArtPop and I find the “character” she’s been playing in public and in her albums since not very convincing or entertaining. As far as acting, I don’t watch American Horror Story so I can’t comment on her acting there. I will say her acting in the trailer seems pretty flat to me, but maybe in context it will be riveting. I would say talk of a Gaga Oscar is more than a bit premature. I recall when Madonna was getting Oscar nomination buzz for Evita as was Courtney Love for The People vs. Larry Flynt. Ultimately, neither was nominated. Even Madonna’s Golden Globe win was not able to get her to an Oscar nomination. I’m a huge Madonna fan and would’ve loved an Oscar nomination for her, but Frances McDormand deserved her win for Fargo that year. If I was going to predict the Oscars, I’d put my money on Glenn Close. Gaga may very well get a nomination though.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#43A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/11/18 at 1:22am

John Adams said: "..."The 1976 version, starring Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson, had some terrific cornball love songs, but they didn’t belong anywhere near the stadium-rock stage, and neither did Streisand"

The finale versionof "Watch Closely Now" never sat well with me either in the movie theater, or on disc. No matter how hard she tries, Streisand will never be a 'rocker'.
"

Even Streisand has admitted she can't find a beat with both hands and a fishing net. I think she rightly gave up on rock not too long after A Star Is Born. It's no coincidence that the Oscar she won was for writing a ballad with Paul Williams.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#44A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/13/18 at 1:51am

AMC is having a “fan event” and we can catch the movie early, Tuesday October 2nd! also included is a download of the soundtrack (which i still am confused isn’t being released before Sept. 30th because that’s the cutoff for the Grammy Awards — fingers crossed it does end up coming a few days early)

https://www.amctheatres.com/participating-theatres/a-star-is-born-fan-event

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

kmissa
#45A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/13/18 at 1:01pm

gypsy101 said: "AMC is having a “fan event” and we can catch the movie early, Tuesday October 2nd! also included is a download of the soundtrack (which i still am confused isn’t being released before Sept. 30th because that’s the cutoff for the Grammy Awards — fingers crossed it does end up coming a few days early)

https://www.amctheatres.com/participating-theatres/a-star-is-born-fan-event
"

Atom Tickets (it's like Fandango) is also offering BOGO deal, I don't even know what this movie is about, but I like BC and Gaga enough. Plus can't beat 2 for 1 tickets in nyc.

geoffreyC
#46A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 9/13/18 at 1:34pm

This is the franchise that just keeps on giving.  It has been a success for every actress who has starred in it.  Who is your favorite?  Janet Gaynor, Judy Garland, Streisand, or now Gaga?  Gaynor will always hold a special place in my heart, but Garland should have won that damn Oscar!  

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#47A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 10/4/18 at 5:02am

saw this movie last night and it was magnificent. two of the songs made me weep. go see this movie this weekend!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#48A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 10/4/18 at 5:09am

I must have seen a different movie.

Apart from first 20 mins, I thought it cold, soulless, and void of any emotional depth.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#49A Star Is Born review. WOW!
Posted: 10/4/18 at 7:55am

lotiloti said: "I must have seen a different movie.

Apart from first 20 mins, I thought it cold, soulless, and void of any emotional depth.

"

Oh, I could not agree less. I thought the film was exquisite. And those performances will garner some Academy love. Same goes for the songs.

In this very early leg of the race, my money is on Gaga. Her film will perform much better with the right circles, and she can ride that wave to a deserved win. Close will likely struggle due to her film being so small. While she is respected, she is not beloved. It has never been her year. I have trouble seeing a win for Close.

Updated On: 10/4/18 at 07:55 AM

Videos