pixeltracker

Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury

Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/20/18 at 4:52am

I've been waiting nearly 10 years for Bernadette to play Mrs Lovett, so if I ask for it I probably won't get it. But can someone rich & powerful inspire someone to produce a film adaptation of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury and someone like Christopher Plummer? 

kthx. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#2Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/20/18 at 8:51am

Here's an idea for someone who needs a tax dodge.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#3Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/20/18 at 9:37am

Although I like the show a lot (I saw it in Chicago), and waited patiently, what felt like forever for a cast album, I don't think it would be a profitable movie.

It didn't last very long in our own community, so why would it be popular in the mainstream?

...Although I would like to see what Tim Burton might bring to it.

theatreguy12
#4Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/21/18 at 6:12pm

A Tim Burton perspective would be nice.

Personally I really enjoyed it.  It was quite different from many of the things I have seen.  And Chita is a goddess.

As for Angela, I would pay to see her read the dictionary.  I adore her to no end.  As a person. And a performer.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/22/18 at 4:39am

I suppose I imagined that with Angela’s name and a low enough budget that done well it could break even. Still, I suppose I should be grateful that we did have what I consider a great production on Broadway (though I’ve only seen via archive), and a great cast recording.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#6Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/22/18 at 6:56am

Well you know she is 92...

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Brodo Swaggins
#7Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/22/18 at 10:38am

I liked that show so much more than a lot of other people seemed to. Eerie, funny, very not-your-average-musical, but not too precious about it.

I worry Tim Burton would just do his usual #spooky thing, and make it look and feel like any of his other forgettable films of late.

geoffreyC
#8Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 12:16pm

Is Olivia de Havilland not available? 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#9Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 12:25pm

only if Kirk Douglas will play Anton.

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#10Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 12:48pm

Wow. Lansbury and Douglas would be something else. Good casting ideas.

1971FolliesFan Profile Photo
1971FolliesFan
#11Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 1:20pm

What a very, very, very nice thought! 

As a side note, Dame Lansbury and Dick Van Dyke had been working on a movie called Buttons - a few pictures of them in period costumes were released this year - has one heard more information on this? 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#12Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 1:28pm

If Meryl Streep wanted to do it alongside Jeremy Irons, or Bryan Cranston, or Kevin Kline, I'm sure it could be greenlit...

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#13Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 1:57pm

I can see it being a better movie musical than a stage musical, tbh.

As long as Rob Marshall isn't allowed anywhere near it. 

Broadway World's Fireman.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#14Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 2:01pm

I love Angela as much as anyone, but why substitute her for the amazing Chita Rivera, who was so remarkable in the stage version? That's a performance I would like to see captured on film.

SomethingPeculiar
#15Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 2:20pm

jayinchelsea said: "I love Angela as much as anyone, but why substitute her for the amazing Chita Rivera, who was so remarkable in the stage version? That's a performance I would like to see captured on film."

I imagine it's being brought up because Lansbury was supposed to star in a 2001 Broadway production, but she backed out because her husband was ill. 

1971FolliesFan
#16Someone please make a film version of
Posted: 9/23/18 at 2:22pm

SomethingPeculiar - Exactly what I was writing just now. 

Also because Dame Lansbury deserves to have another leading movie role, as she is still waiting for 'the one'. (Something which, may I add, she has been waiting for since the 1990s). 

Updated On: 9/23/18 at 02:22 PM

JBC3
#17Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 2:26pm

Angela Lansbury singing Love And Love Alone—
https://youtu.be/93XKrmcSP44

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#18Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 2:33pm

Woah. I wasn't really convinced she could do it, but now I am.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#19Someone please make a film version of "The Visit" with Angela Lansbury
Posted: 9/23/18 at 2:54pm

If you've forgotten, or perhaps never seen it, watch the divine Chita sing (and dance and act) "Love and Love Alone":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypYmkev9Sfg

SomethingPeculiar
#20Someone please make a film version of
Posted: 9/23/18 at 2:57pm

Also... there's no way Lansbury wouldn't have won a Tony for THE VISIT in 2001 --- 5 years after the finale of Murder She Wrote and 18 years after her most recent Broadway credit (Mame). And it would have been her FIFTH Best Actress Tony, at age 75!

It might not have run very long, given the behemoth that was THE PRODUCERS, but it probably would have done better than the 2015 production, with Lansbury's star-power + the momentum of Chicago and Cabaret. Maybe K&E would have picked up Best Score over Mel Brooks, too!

...And if it was somewhat successful, it still could have been revived 15 years later with Chita! :)

(Anyway, enough daydreaming for one day!)

Updated On: 9/23/18 at 02:57 PM

1971FolliesFan
#21Someone please make a film version of
Posted: 9/23/18 at 3:31pm

SomethingPeculiar - I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment. Why couldn't she have won the Tony in 2001? 

SomethingPeculiar
#22Someone please make a film version of
Posted: 9/23/18 at 4:01pm

1971FolliesFan said: "SomethingPeculiar - I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment. Why couldn't she have won the Tony in 2001?"

I think I phrased that poorly -- she absolutely WOULD have won in 2001, because it would have been her big return to Bway and it was a weak year for actresses.

1971FolliesFan
#23Someone please make a film version of
Posted: 9/23/18 at 4:36pm

Not at all, I misread it, I'm sorry! Yes, I agree! She definitely would have won!