Company London

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#125Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 11:34am

It was VERY uncomfortable when the three suiters sing "Drive a person crazy" to Bobbi and it suddenly becomes a song about blue balls. It was a little bit "rape-y" which is definitely NOT a good thing - especially today.

Actually, that sounds entirely appropriate, ESPECIALLY in today's society.  The Kavanaugh hearings made it clear that "rape-y" behavior is normal and should be expected.  If it makes people feel uncomfortable, then it is an effective number.  This is one of the most important numbers to mine some current relevance out of the gender swap.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#126Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 11:53am

The production has extended through March 30th, so no transfer this season.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#127Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 1:06pm

I see where this production is now selling tickets through March 30, 2019! Guess we can hold off on that Bway transfer this season! Happy opening to the cast and crew!

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#128Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 1:06pm

Ah, didn’t see your post, Les. Apologies.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#129Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 7:43pm

The reviews are raves so far. LuPone is getting notices that could match some of the best she’s received in her career.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#130Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 7:49pm

Shame it's not transferring this season. With reviews like this, LuPone would win her third Tony in a landslide. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#131Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 7:49pm

The Guardian gives it 4 out of 5 stars, calling it a "heavenly fling." 

Time Out gives it 5 out of 5 stars, saying it's a "tour de force reworking." 

Variety is very positive, giving LuPone a special rave: "LuPone plays Joanne with a bitumen-black resolve, every bit as embittered as she is empowered. Cloaked in a fur coat and glinting like a one-woman diamond mine, she’s dazzling and awful at the same time — a martini mixed from measures of exuberance and scorn. She’s joyfully joyless."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#132Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 7:52pm

adamgreer said: "Shame it's not transferring this season. With reviews like this, LuPone would win her third Tony in a landslide."

Oh come on now. Kong is acting CIRCLES around Patti. They would still win even up against her.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 10/17/18 at 07:52 PM

BroadwayConcierge
#133Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 7:52pm

The Evening Standard gives it 5 out of 5 stars. "Wonderfully fresh;" "glorious;" "pops with vitality and dazzles with its wit...a take on Company that savours Sondheim’s subtleties."

LondonTheatre.co.uk gives it 5 out of 5 stars. "Stunning;" "a departure into new territory and a stunning reaffirmation of [the show]'s brilliance." 

The Stage gives it 5 out of 5 stars. Calls it "astonishing."

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#134Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 9:42pm

Seeing as there is only one musical revival coming in this year (and it's a tired re-telling of Kiss Me Kate), it's a shame that they're not fighting for Company to transfer this season.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

tkts
#135Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 9:55pm

LesWickedly said: "The production has extended through March 30th, so no transfer this season."

Good news!  For us at least as we're in London in March. 

Cake or death?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#136Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 10:22pm

Sondheimite said: "Seeing as there is only one musical revival coming in this year (and it's a tired re-telling of Kiss Me Kate), it's a shame that they're not fighting for Company to transfer this season."

I was thinking the same thing! 

I wonder if they’d transfer the show with Craig and Lupone and replace them in London for the extension? 

GreeneStreet Profile Photo
GreeneStreet
#137Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 11:39pm

If my sources are correct, they are still trying to land this on broadway this spring. The production is coming over but not the cast. Almost all roles would be recasted.

So basically theres still hope?

I also dont understand, im sure Kiss me Kate will be great but you have an 10000% chance of getting a tony if any other revival opens.

Dreamgirls, Secret garden, Company

This is the season to come in.

BroadwayConcierge
#138Company London
Posted: 10/17/18 at 11:56pm

I want this production here ASAP, but I only want it with LuPone. I’d be okay waiting a season if it means we can get LuPone with it.

Sondheimite
#139Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:37am

i heard the name of an oscar winner being floated for staring in the broadway transfer.... 

GreeneStreet Profile Photo
GreeneStreet
#140Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:51am

Thats exactly what I heard as well.

billyelliotfan123
#141Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:05am

Emma Stone?

JON111699
#142Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:16am

Sondheimite said: "i heard the name of an oscar winner being floated for staring in the broadway transfer...."

Anne Hathaway? Emma Stone?

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#143Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:20am

Sondheimite said: "i heard the name of an oscar winner being floated for staring in the broadway transfer...."

That rumor was on here a few weeks ago, too, and at that point she hadn't signed a contract. There are only a few Oscar winning actresses in the 30-40 range:  Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman, Jennifer Hudson, or Lupita Nyong'o (with Hathaway being the obvious choice).

These are money reviews out of London for the production, Rosalie Craig, and Patti LuPone. The the kind of reviews that are strong enough to move most shows as-is, cast intact. (Unless Brantley hates it.) The reviews are a double-edged sword: they could scare away an actress like Hathaway and her CAA agents, or they could be a boost of confidence for her to star in an already-great production.

As long as LuPone moves with it, I'd be thrilled to see Craig or rumored-Oscar-winner.

Updated On: 10/18/18 at 01:20 AM

Sondheimite
#144Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:24am

More specifically,

i hear an oscar winner will be making their Broadway debut. 

Call_me_jorge
#145Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:50am

Jennifer Lawrence? Brie Larson?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

A Director
#146Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 2:38am

Leave Patti in London. Transfer the production here. Replace her with Glenn Close.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#147Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 2:41am

I think women like Emma Stone (29), Brie Larson (29), and Jennifer Lawrence (28) all read way too young. The stakes aren't high enough if it's a beautiful woman who looks like she's in her late 20s, especially in 2018 when so many people get married and have kids later.

While we're dreamcasting: Amy Adams would be wonderful. (Though she's 44 and not an Oscar winner)

Shh_413
#148Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 2:44am

Sondheimite said: "More specifically,

i hear an oscar winner will be making their Broadway debut.
"

That leaves Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson, Natalie Portman, Kate Winslet, and Anne Hathaway (I don't think she's ever done Broadway, has she?). The most likely being Anne since she doesn't have anything lined up in the near future and she's the most likely to star in a musical.

Call_me_jorge
#149Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 2:44am

^but she deserved one for Arrival cryingcrying

Videos