pixeltracker

Chorus Line @ NY City Center- Page 5

Chorus Line @ NY City Center

bk
#100Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/30/18 at 8:38pm

The problem with ALL the A Chorus Line restagers is that they are not directors.  They recreate.  They're not Bennett so everything becomes a copy of a copy of a copy, a many generations away Xerox.  That has always been the problem.  And the further the restager is from the original production the worse it is.  What the show needs is a real director, someone who can really cast it well and then actually direct the actors and not make them copy their predecessors, to let the actor find his/her own way, truth, and humor.  It's fine to recreate the choreography - no one's gonna do better than Bennett, but it's in the direction of the actors where every revival no matter where, fails.  And I've seen tons of 'em.  The Broadway revival was, for me, especially horrible in that regard.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#101Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/31/18 at 11:59am

For those who haven't seen it. And is it me or is Yazbeck(Zach) dancing in parts of the Montage?

New York City Center's rehearsal of A Chorus Line

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 10/31/18 at 11:59 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#102Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/7/18 at 10:50am

Well, don't expect a discount. This is actually selling very well. The Thursday and Friday performances are sold out. Can't believe most people are spending the $140+ for a ticket to this. The balcony has the cheap seats($75-$50?), which are very limited.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#103Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/13/18 at 7:41pm

Anyone going to invited dress tonight? Post your thoughts here!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#104Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 10:46am

I'll be going tonight. Bought a ticket in the rear mezz last week. Interested to see Hurder's Cassie, Yazbeck as Zach, Jay Armstrong as Bobby, Anthony Wayne as Richie(missed him during the 1st National) & Zimmerman's Sheila.

FYI, for those that thought this wouldn't sell, all 7 performances are sold-out.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#105Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 11:41am

I was waiting to hear word on the show before buying tickets. OOPS! Has anything at City Center sold out before it started its run in recent memory? Maybe Little Shop?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#106Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 12:16pm

A friend was at the invited dress last night and said Zimmerman was out.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#107Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 12:18pm

Oh, I hope Zimmerman is ok. The show does have understudies and swings, which I find surprising for a one week run. Curious who the Sheila u/s is.

lesmizsaigon Profile Photo
lesmizsaigon
#108Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 12:50pm

Gah I was too late for this! If anyone has an extra ticket please hit me up!

keller434
#109Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 1:09pm

I may have four tickets, front mezz (is this called Grand Tier) for sale.  Looking to sell them together and get my money back.  $205 per ticket with fees.  If interested, hit me up.  

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#110Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 1:12pm

little_sally said: "A friend was at the invited dress last night and said Zimmerman was out."

I was going to say... in the highlights clip just posted (presumably from last night's invited dress), Sheila is very clearly played by a brunette girl who is NOT Zimmerman.  She also isn't the female swing, so it must be one of the cut dancers from the opening sequence.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#111Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 1:23pm

The show clips look exceptional. I cannot wait for this in a few days.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#112Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 1:31pm

The majority of the cut dancers/swings are straight from the recent non-equity tour. Whoever the Sheila u/s is looks very young.

GreeneStreet Profile Photo
GreeneStreet
#113Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 1:43pm

Broadway.com, Broadway world, and Theatre mania all show different clips, if you want to see some othet songs.

Also at 1:42 on the theatre mania video, one of the dancers in the famous line, forgets to take her hat off, embarrassing!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#114Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 5:51pm

Zimmerman is out tonight. Very disappointed. Jenna Nicole Schoen is onas Sheila.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#115Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 7:08pm

Those show clips just look so.... regional theatre. 

Broadway World's Fireman.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#116Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 7:20pm

I just watched the video clips... I really love A Chrous Line, but I can't say that I regret not buying a ticket to this. It looks no different than the tour I saw back in 2008.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

evic
#117Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 8:06pm

ACL is ACL is ACL....a brilliant show.  Wishing them all the best.  The clips look like all of the hundreds of productions preceding this one since the staging is the same.  Yazbeck's adrenaline looks out of control.Hope this cast has the personality to make it shine. Of course the original cannot be topped.

whatdoesntkillme
#118Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 8:17pm

I love the clips, but I hate all the wild applause. We get it, it's exciting, it's iconic. But I want to enjoy a show I love without a million people around me screaming like wild during the most exciting parts. Save the applause for after a number is over and for the curtain call. 

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#119Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 8:24pm

I love the clips, but I hate all the wild applause. We get it, it's exciting, it's iconic. But I want to enjoy a show I love without a million people around me screaming like wild during the most exciting parts. Save the applause for after a number is over and for the curtain call.

Agreed. 

zainmax
#120Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 10:29pm

I'm looking to purchase one ticket to the 11/15 performance. If you happen to have one, then please PM me!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#121Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/14/18 at 11:36pm

I'll give the good, the ok & the bad from this production. Overall this didn't live up to the '06 revival, but I wasn't expecting it to. Was this just an average looking regional production? I'd say no having seen several recent regional productions(Papermill, Gateway, Surflight) and this was clearly a step up from those. For those wondering, there wasn't the wild & crazy audience screaming & applause tonight, just extra long applause during the opening, at the end of M&TM and during the Finale(One).

The good: Robyn Hurder's Cassie. She brought a more innocent Cassie to the stage, upped the urgency pre-M&TM and danced it beautifully & was probably the best Cassie I've heard sing M&TM. Her scene with Zach(Yazbeck) was terrific during One rehearsal. Yazbeck as Zach: it was a pleasure to actually see a Zach capable of dancing. He wasn't as angry as Berresse and was softer during the alternatives scene. Him & Hurder had great chemistry together during One rehearsal. It was also nice to see him dance during the tap number(all of it). Others that brought something new to their roles: Jay Armstrong(Bobby). So nice to finally have a Bobby that made me laugh(a first for me). Tara Kostmayer(Diana) - just gave the role new energy and attitude that Diana requires. Denis Lambert(Greg) - I was worried because he's played the role numerous times, but he really owns this role and gets the necessary laughs as needed. Not too over the top. Anthony Wayne(Richie) - just fierce and absolutely killed it during his part in the Montage. So sad I saw his u/s when he was on tour with the show. Jolina Javier(Connie) - haven't had a Connie make me laugh since Yuka Takara in the '06 revival.

The ok. Basically these actors brought nothing new to their roles, did what they excel at but there was nothing memorable about their performance. Kate Bailey(Kristine) & Joseph Simeone(Al) - just average. Simeone didn't hit the high notes in "Sing" and Bailey's Kristine just fell flat. "Sing" is the comic relief of the show and there was nothing new or funny about their routine. Tommy Bracco(Mike) - just didn't have the fire & attitude that Mike should have. Had a nice tumbling routine for "I Can Do That", but nothing stood out. Max Clayton(Don) - it's always hard to do something with so little, as is the case with the character of Don. Can't fault Clayton for a forgettable role. David Grindrod(Mark) - just a cookie-cutter performance and rather stale. Melanie Moore(Judy), again nothing new here, just trademark Judy stuff. But nobody could top Heather Parcells in this role(IMO).

The bad: the three "At The Ballet" girls. The Sheila u/s is just way too young for the role. I get she's an understudy, but there's no way she's close to 30 and all of the trademark Sheila lines fell flat. Naomi Walley(Bebe) just lacked the innocence & naivety for the role. Sara Etsy(Maggie), she's probably the first Maggie I didn't feel bad for during "At The Ballet". Just gave no emotion to the role. "At The Ballet" was just flat and lifeless in general. Eddie Gutierrez(Paul), just hang up the role already. No life or emotion during the monologue. Almost sounded like he was reading straight from the script. J. Elaine(Val) - ugh! how much did J. Elaine pay Baayork to have her play Val? She turned T&A into a comic routine and panning for every possible laugh and cheap trick to get one. She took the role in a completely wrong direction and I find it hard to believe Baayork & Bob Avian were ok with this.

Overall, I'm glad I didn't shell over more $$ to see this. Having just recently seen the non-equity tour for half of what I spent, there clearly isn't a need to revive this on Broadway. The energy was [mostly] there and outside of a few performances is a solid production. Special kudos to the 7 cut dancers who brought more energy to the opening number than half the dancers on the line. If you have a ticket already, you likely won't be disappointed in the overall production and hopefully Zimmerman will be in the show by the weekend.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#122Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/15/18 at 12:08am

I love Yazbeck, but what the hell is the second half of the opening combo in that video? Very messy.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

MarilynMonroeSmash Profile Photo
MarilynMonroeSmash
#123Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/15/18 at 12:32am

Where they selling a window card?

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#124Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 11/15/18 at 2:53am

I am going to see it again towards the end of the run. I guess the one thing I noticed was a lack of spontaneity. It did not feel at times like the characters were experiencing the audition for the very first time thus some of the emotional power was lost. Perhaps it had something to do with the actors being conscious of picking up their speaking cues; but at times I thought the actors knew the answers to Zach's questions before he asked them. When I saw the original I remember being immersed in the personal stories, in what they had gained from spending that time together and feeling that the stakes were so high; thus leaving me in suspense as to whom would get cast in the show.

I liked the lighting and the staging. I would be curious to know from all of you who have seen other productions how much if any was the original staging and choreography used in this production and if it was, was any of it modified? I did think that the company numbers as a whole came off better than the solo numbers infused with humor. 

I had some feelings during the show but it stemmed from remembering all of the people we lost associated with the original company and the more recent loss of the composer. All you have to do is hear the music and those memories bring a tear to your eye.

Updated On: 11/15/18 at 02:53 AM